ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning all. Not much planned for the day...so I'll probably piddle in the garage and do one or two things out on the property.
It's 50 now in the Buckeye State...heading up to 62. Sunny now, but a pretty good chance of showers this afternoon. One forecast I saw mentions a chance of a bit of snow Sunday. Ugh. Not ready for the cold and snow. More Fall-like weather is preferable.

Y'all have a good day.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 51° and sunny here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring rain showers and a high of 73°.

Everyone stay safe on this Veterans Day.

61fjUl3heXL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Good morning D-League. Much respect to all the Veterans among the crew here on this Veteran's Day. The most fulfilling part of my career was documenting the deeds of America's military on five continents and on (and under) the Seven Seas. I had real admiration for many of the men, and yes, a few women, I met during that time.

Speaking of women...my wife knows about a chick that works at the golf course. She refers to her as my girlfriend. My wife put together a box of feminine stuff, soap, powder, etc...and told me to give it to her.
Now I have a wife that I don't want to have sex with because it hurts both of us, and a girlfriend who I just can't have sex with. Life is funny that way

I know what you're thinking and yes, I am the orange barrels on this remote stretch of highway.

Dang....

Two things just came on TV...
One, a commercial for Bojangle's. Haven't been there in forever. Use to love their chicken.

Two, a news story of how researchers at U. of Maryland have come up with a procedure to make wood 3X harder than steel. Hard to believe.
Edit...looked it up and true.
https://today.umd.edu/wood-that-can-cut-like-steel-can-be-molded-like-plastic-or-build-batteries

They are just doing that to make things difficult for those of us who like to whittle.

I watch quite a lot of interviews of WW2 combat veterans. The battles in the Pacific were especially horrendous. They talk about the stages they go through as the battles progress. First they say, "I'm not going to be the one getting killed here." Then it becomes, "Hey, I might get killed here." Finally they conclude, "I'm probably gonna get killed here."

I watch quite a lot of interviews of WW2 combat veterans. The battles in the Pacific were especially horrendous. They talk about the stages they go through as the battles progress. First they say, "I'm not going to be the one getting killed here." Then it becomes, "Hey, I might get killed here." Finally they conclude, "I'm probably gonna get killed here."
Have you ever watched the series 'Pacific'? Came out following up Band of Brothers. Excellent. Both are.

Watching them, especially BOB, I would almost be in tears thinking of my Dad going thru that when he was 20-22. He was in Europe.

Have you ever watched the series 'Pacific'? Came out following up Band of Brothers. Excellent. Both are.

Watching them, especially BOB, I would almost be in tears thinking of my Dad going thru that when he was 20-22. He was in Europe.

I've watched BOB three times and read the book twice. I've seen numerous interviews of the main guys' I've watched Pacific twice and read the book.

I've watched BOB three times and read the book twice. I've seen numerous interviews of the main guys' I've watched Pacific twice and read the book.
Yeah...I've seen both 3 times. Have/read one of Robert Leckie's books (Delivered From Evil: The Saga of WWII).
Pacific has some of the best music in a movie/series I've ever heard.

My father-in-law mistakenly killed a young man German civilian in house-to-house fighting in Germany. Although any of us can understand how that could happen, it really ate at him in his later years.

I was shot at and was concerned, but not enough that I thought I was going to die. Incoming rockets came in often enough that I never thought much about it. The only time I thought I might die was over a careless mistake, but obviously it turned out ok. At Danang, we had a bomb dump far enough off base to not damage the base. The marines had a bomb dump across the road from ours. We had an E8 that was shift commander for the night shift. As soon as he took command, Charlie started attacking us as soon as it got dark and the firefight always ended as soon as the midnight shift took over. Charlie never bothered the marines and no one ever saw Charlie or their incoming fire,but the commander always ordered return fire because he saw and heard them. After a couple of weeks of this, the brass figured it out and sent him home for a psych eval.

I got caught smoking by my HS football coach. The whole team lined up and whipped me with a belt as punishment (they loved it). Got to wear hip pads so it didn't hurt as much. I didn't quit smoking but I did quit getting caught smoking. I'm pretty sure that's gotten outlawed since those days.

If it wasn't for a DLineman smoking at his school, my buddy would never have made all conference.

Last edited:
Two things just came on TV...
One, a commercial for Bojangle's. Haven't been there in forever. Use to love their chicken.

Two, a news story of how researchers at U. of Maryland have come up with a procedure to make wood 3X harder than steel. Hard to believe.
Edit...looked it up and true.
https://today.umd.edu/wood-that-can-cut-like-steel-can-be-molded-like-plastic-or-build-batteries
I think they meant it would be 3 X harder to steal because it is so expensive now they need to secure it. ;)

Veteran's Day. Thanks to everyone who served.

It is 63°F on our way to 63°! 90% chance of rain and windy.

I edited the Duke game and boy did UK get some questionable calls.
Why shouldn't this game be like any other that Duke plays in...........without questionable calls Duke/K would just be another private college in NC.........I wonder it they will do the same for Scheyer...............

To all of the thankyou's and well wishes for Veterans Day I simply say it was truly an honor and a pleasure sincerely. I love this country and the time I spent in the military has been the highlight of my life thus far.

@MdWIldcat55 you were there and are a part of it as well. You have probably seen more action than most of us.

Last edited:
They are just doing that to make things difficult for those of us who like to whittle.
My wife had an uncle who spent his life whittling......never worked one day in his life......if the weather wasn't really bad......he would be out in the swing over near the branch with a stick of cedar and his knife........the shavings would get so high he would have kick them into the branch........he could cut slices so fine they looked strings...........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT