ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

This must be a very low budget movie to hire such a lightweight. Or the Actors Union demanded diversity in what is a very important job instead of finding an expert in firearms.

I hope she has deep pockets because she will be a big part of the lawsuit that is coming. Same for Baldwin he is going to under depositions that will make his head spin. He may not be able to cry his way out of this.
I saw a picture some where of Baldwin talking on a cell phone and he was crying............I have to remind you folks.....he is an "actor".....He can probably cry on a seconds notice......

Ha....Her daughter's hubby is Reserve and was about to be deployed for close to a year. So she flew cross country for a week to be with him before he left. And then a few days after she got home she had lasik surgery...so she wanted her Mom there for both things to watch the kids...two of the absolute worst little kids I've ever been around. I told the Mrs before she left that I could care less if she went for a week or two...no complaints from me...but 5,6 weeks is a bit much. And now I think she pretty much agrees with me. Sounds like she's more than ready to get home.
I know how she feels.....I went to England three different trips where I stayed from 4 weeks to a little over 5 months..........I love my grandchildren, daughter and SIL............it isn't healthy to see how they live.......every generation does what they do.......everyone raises their kids like they want to raise them........it doesn't mean I have to agree with their ways.....but they needed someone to help and I am him..........

At one base we had to turn our weapons in to the armory at the end of every shift. An M1 carbine was standard. There was a 55 gallon drum filled with sand to clear it in. There was a twenty plus year staff sergeant supervising the clearing of weapons. The guy in front of me was Willie B Dunn. He had somehow chambered a round and when he pulled the trigger to show it was cleared,it fired. The sound vibrated and sand dust flew out of the clearing barrel. Willie said, I didn't do that. He was the only person with a weapon in the clearing barrel, but he didn't do that. He and the sarge both lost a stripe over it. Baldwin trying to avoid blame reminded me of this story.

At one base we had to turn our weapons in to the armory at the end of every shift. An M1 carbine was standard. There was a 55 gallon drum filled with sand to clear it in. There was a twenty plus year staff sergeant supervising the clearing of weapons. The guy in front of me was Willie B Dunn. He had somehow chambered a round and when he pulled the trigger to show it was cleared,it fired. The sound vibrated and sand dust flew out of the clearing barrel. Willie said, I didn't do that. He was the only person with a weapon in the clearing barrel, but he didn't do that. He and the sarge both lost a stripe over it. Baldwin trying to avoid blame reminded me of this story.
Always assuming a weapon is loaded stands as a best practice. Once in summer 1986, a fellow sergeant handed me his surplus Walther P38 he purchased from Giessen Rod and Gun club. I also purchased a similar pistol earlier that week and kept it home. Heck, great deal for $100 for surplus WW2 German Polizei P38 pistols.

He handed me the pistol in an empty barracks room. Because of habit, I pointed his pistol at a wall locker -- NOT an individual -- in a barracks room and squeezed the trigger. Pistol went off. There was indeed a live round in the chamber. This sudden blast represented one of the most startling, unexpected shocks of my life so far. Scared the hell out of me. Luckily, 9 mm slug pierced through the locker and further into a wall behind it. Germans build thick barracks walls. No officers around. No one heard the discharge on first floor. Another soldier located a few rooms down rushed out and asked what happened. We told him a blank round went off as we were playing around. We rushed down stairs and grabbed master keys. Round did not penetrate the wall.

I was lucky. We were lucky. Thought 5 years service went down the drain. I never knew where the Sergeant who handed handed me that pistol obtained a live 9 mm round.

Accidental discharge is extremely serious. I knew a couple folks who were punished under UCMJ for such carelessness the following year. That particular incident happened coming off live fire ranges. An NCO forgot to clear a .50 cal. It went off during a night convoy movement back to cantonment area at Graf. Luckily no one hit or injured. As you probably remember, M2 (Ma Deuce) .cal .50 round is no joke. Sergeant who cleared the .50 cal got busted a rank and the soldier who fired the round lost a rank.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F, partly cloudy with 93% humidity. Today's high projected around 92°F, a possible record. Heat relief on the way later this week.

I'm glad Braves finally going back to World Series. May watch coverage tomorrow evening.

Pup seems better every day. She still limps. I walk her around a couple times daily.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

maxresdefault.jpg

Never watched it. I am not big on slasher movies. You must have a supernatural monster in the movie for me.
Good morning D-League. Actually, 6am Monday might be the worst hour of the week for those of us still humping a job, but good morning anyway.

I hope you all had a good weekend -- my daughter and I had a ball chasing ghosts through the Shenandoah Valley towns of Burkittsville, Sharpsburg, Shepherdstown, Boonsboro, Martinsburg and Winchester. We even came home and watched the incredibly silly cable show "The Ghosts of Shepherdstown" and laughed as we watched them chase the ghost of a Civil War Confederate surgeon who was haunting the waitress at a Bakery -- and realized she had sold us a cupcake that day!

Warrior -- Feel free to watch Halloween, and the original is the best. BY now, Michael Myers has been shot probably 50 times, beheaded, stabbed with everything sharper than a spoon, run over with everything this side of an M1A2 Abrams, and blown up a half dozen times, and he is still alive. He's Gold Certified as Supernatural.

Always assuming a weapon is loaded stands as a best practice. Once in summer 1986, a fellow sergeant handed me his surplus Walther P38 he purchased from Giessen Rod and Gun club. I also purchased a similar pistol earlier that week and kept it home. Heck, great deal for $100 for surplus WW2 German Polizei P38 pistols.

He handed me the pistol in an empty barracks room. Because of habit, I pointed his pistol at a wall locker -- NOT an individual -- in a barracks room and squeezed the trigger. Pistol went off. There was indeed a live round in the chamber. This sudden blast represented one of the most startling, unexpected shocks of my life so far. Scared the hell out of me. Luckily, 9 mm slug pierced through the locker and further into a wall behind it. Germans build thick barracks walls. No officers around. No one heard the discharge on first floor. Another soldier located a few rooms down rushed out and asked what happened. We told him a blank round went off as we were playing around. We rushed down stairs and grabbed master keys. Round did not penetrate the wall.

I was lucky. We were lucky. Thought 5 years service went down the drain. I never knew where the Sergeant who handed handed me that pistol obtained a live 9 mm round.

Accidental discharge is extremely serious. I knew a couple folks who were punished under UCMJ for such carelessness the following year. That particular incident happened coming off live fire ranges. An NCO forgot to clear a .50 cal. It went off during a night convoy movement back to cantonment area at Graf. Luckily no one hit or injured. As you probably remember, M2 (Ma Deuce) .cal .50 round is no joke. Sergeant who cleared the .50 cal got busted a rank and the soldier who fired the found lost a rank.
Yes, I know 50's well. At Tan My, we had 50 cals in all the towers, M60's in the bunkers and a "borrowed" mini gun mounted on our jeep.

Edit, I forgot to say, I took an M-79 grenade launcher to bed with me every night. It kind of looked like a fat sawed off shotgun to those not familiar with it. I loved that thing for some reason.

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

Bengals actually dispatched the Ravens yesterday to go to 5-2 after being predicted to be dead last in the division preseason. Yeah I know, still early but I believe most were saying they would not win 3 or 4 games this year. Had not beaten the Ravens in the previous 5 games. Would be nice to at least win the division since at the start of the season under Zack Taylor they were 6-25-1. The only 2 losses were to the Packers in over time by 3 and to the Bucs by 5. Both of those teams are 6-1 and they were winnable for the Bengals. Oh and yeah, they beat the Steelers at home already this year too. Who Dey?

Good morning D-League. Actually, 6am Monday might be the worst hour of the week for those of us still humping a job, but good morning anyway.

I hope you all had a good weekend -- my daughter and I had a ball chasing ghosts through the Shenandoah Valley towns of Burkittsville, Sharpsburg, Shepherdstown, Boonsboro, Martinsburg and Winchester. We even came home and watched the incredibly silly cable show "The Ghosts of Shepherdstown" and laughed as we watched them chase the ghost of a Civil War Confederate surgeon who was haunting the waitress at a Bakery -- and realized she had sold us a cupcake that day!

Warrior -- Feel free to watch Halloween, and the original is the best. BY now, Michael Myers has been shot probably 50 times, beheaded, stabbed with everything sharper than a spoon, run over with everything this side of an M1A2 Abrams, and blown up a half dozen times, and he is still alive. He's Gold Certified as Supernatural.
Yeah, I realize that with the sequels but, when I see slasher movies and people with chain saws and big knives especially when they move like grandpa Jones, I just get disinterested. I understand that with the knives film makers like to build up the fear as you see the knife up and in the hand for about 5 seconds before it comes down and that many people would actually freeze up and stand there but, it still seems fake (yeah it is but supposed to look real).

Last edited:
Good Monday Morning D-League.

We had an unexpected heavy rain yesterday evening that blew of the Gulf. The pattern is continuing this morning with 90% chance of rain. It is currently 70° and we should reach a high of 80°. Maybe.

I trust all are well and if you are wearing the uniform or making a movie with Baldwin, don't get caught with brass in your pocket and most of all a live round.

I see there are 10's of thousands of more illegals getting rounded up to crash our border. Many are wearing Joe Biden t-shirts. America continues to slide into the mire and no one can stop it. And nobody cares.

Read through Mark 6

82766905_573044170231764_8199959666126487552_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, D-League!

I had a glorious day of digging and other chores yesterday. Spent the weekend without any news. The world hasn't imploded yet, and God's plan is still relentlessly in motion.

I believe many of our gentler and kinder souls will be taken home to spare them what is to come. Our hearts are broken, but our loved ones safe in the hands of God.

Never watched it. I am not big on slasher movies. You must have a supernatural monster in the movie for me.
I'm not really a slasher guy either but I do love the classics, bad acting and all. Plus I saw Halloween soon after it was released in 1978 so it has some special meaning to me. I much prefer horror flicks without the excessive gore. They leave something for the imagination.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy. Today's high predicted at around 88°F.

Yeah, watched Braves close out Dodgers last night. They earned a spot in the World Series against Houston Astros. Love it. ATL been knocking on the door past four seasons. Fun fact: Current Astros manager Dusty Baker played 8 seasons for the Braves between 1968-1975. He was on-deck when Hank Aaron hit 715.

Also watched UK beat Hogs in volleyball 3-2 in another nail-biter last night. Go Cats!

Usual chores planned for this morning. Heading to Bill Miller's before my walk for some breakfast tacos.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Bologna-Day-dates.jpg

Good news for Braves fans if Dusty Baker is the opposing coach. He is horrible at managing his pitching staff. Always leaves/left pitchers in the game too long. Cost the Cubs and the Reds when he was coaching there.

If Baldwin fired a weapon of his own free will and choosing, HE ALONE is responsible for the outcome. No one should ever be allowed to skate because they think or say someone else is responsible for them pointing a loaded gun at someone. Fake life or real life, it's his responsibility.

I really think this is all just a distraction, like so much else, from the misery this administration and congress is creating by destroying this country. I doubt anyone died on the set of a movie, but if they did, the person/people responsible for pulling the trigger with a room full of witnesses need to be prosecuted.

Was reading this weekend about the August 6th 1945 Imabari, Japan firebombing mission. Very interesting

Listening to the radio and Gov DeSantis is offering out of state police officers a $5,000 bonus for moving to Florida if fired over a vaccine mandate. And you are hired as a police officer be it state, county or local.

I want the State Trooper from Washington State to make the move. We can always use a man like him. Oh, if you know any good ones in Kentucky or where you live send them down. We will make room on a police force for the good ones.

Great day. Eating breakfast bowl of cereal & bit down on something hard. It's two pieces of a crown. Off to dentist this pm. Nothing new for me & my weak teeth.
I had the same problems with teeth when I was a teenager.......lost every tooth in my head when I was 22 yrs old....after spending thousands of dollars trying to save them.....

This must be a very low budget movie to hire such a lightweight. Or the Actors Union demanded diversity in what is a very important job instead of finding an expert in firearms.

I hope she has deep pockets because she will be a big part of the lawsuit that is coming. Same for Baldwin he is going to under depositions that will make his head spin. He may not be able to cry his way out of this.

Never underestimate the ability of Alec Baldwin (or any other spoiled brat/bully) to cry crocodile tears whenever needed. They'll be as fake as everything else about him, but just enough for the media to pull his butt out of the line of fire.

Does anybody else work MORE when the Mrs is gone? Or do you tend to back off/goof off? I work more obviously since I haven't been on here much. When she was working I was always busy...working in the yard, on the property, on the rentals, etc. As soon as she retired it was like flipping a switch...I started to do less. Never one to just lay around or take a nap, but I definitely backed off my work load.

Now that she's been gone for a month for an extended visit to her daughter's...it seems that I've barely sat down. Odd.

Anyway, its been pouring rain all day. Rain gauge says 2 inches today. I've got a bad spot on a back roof in one of the rentals so I've been kind of worried about that today. Have contacted my roofer 3 times in the last month and he still hasn't come out. Good guy, but it's really hard sometimes to get contractors on a timely basis.

Anyway, hope all are doing well.

I installed a new set of cabinets for my lady while she was at work 2x (2 different houses), put in a new, 6ft, decorative, garden fence, laid 90ft of drainage tile... I tend to get more done when she's not home, too. I like to surprise her with things she has no real idea about.

Contractors are a crap shoot these days, and I used to be one. Guess I still am, but rarely solicit business anymore. I had a plumbing job that I wanted done for a house we owned. Called different contractors, 3 said they'd show up and never did. 1 additional bid the job while they were there working on a gas water heater install, and STILL never came back to do the scheduled work. Blew it off more than 2x.

Never got it done. Since it was a plumbing install, it had to be done by a licensed plumber, or I'd have just done it myself.

I installed a new set of cabinets for my lady while she was at work 2x (2 different houses), put in a new, 6ft, decorative, garden fence, laid 90ft of drainage tile... I tend to get more done when she's not home, too. I like to surprise her with things she has no real idea about.

Contractors are a crap shoot these days, and I used to be one. Guess I still am, but rarely solicit business anymore. I had a plumbing job that I wanted done for a house we owned. Called different contractors, 3 said they'd show up and never did. 1 additional bid the job while they were there working on a gas water heater install, and STILL never came back to do the scheduled work. Blew it off more than 2x.

Never got it done. Since it was a plumbing install, it had to be done by a licensed plumber, or I'd have just done it myself.
That is when you install yourself.....if capable......and up to code.........I do my own plumbing and electrical..........I used to be a contractor also........#1 I am not kissing ass to get someone to come do a substandard job....for an outrageous price.........#2 no one needs to know what you have done inside your house......I know a guy that has 21/2 baths and his property is listed as one bath..................

Yeah it poured down in the wee hours this morning. Pretty soggy out.
Yes, it was pouring........coincidentally one of my dogs needed to sniff the fence around the back yard.....all 350 feet of it.......AND was then upset because she was wet so I had to dry her before I could go back to bed........or else she stands beside the bed and whines like a puppy..............

That is when you install yourself.....if capable......and up to code.........I do my own plumbing and electrical..........I used to be a contractor also........#1 I am not kissing ass to get someone to come do a substandard job....for an outrageous price.........#2 no one needs to know what you have done inside your house......I know a guy that has 21/2 baths and his property is listed as one bath..................
I used to contract everything out there or so I thought until the my doctor labeled me a hypochondriac. ;)

A little modern day chicken little humor.

62.2°F, cloudy and we got .63" of rain around 2 to 4 am. It woke me up but I don't remember the exact time. We are supposed to get to a cool 63°, so we only have .8° to go.

I don't like horror movies at all, so I have missed out on the good ones. I did watch Halloween back when and did not like it. My kids do.

This is from: Sam Terry's Kentucky

October 25, 1978 - 30-year old John Howard Carpenter released his original independent film “Halloween.” Growing up in Bowling Green, Kentucky, he began making 8mm films by the time he was in high school. Carpenter's parents, Milton Jean and Howard Ralph Carpenter moved to Bowling Green in 1953 when Howard became a professor of music at Western Kentucky University.

Carpenter's concept was simple: "Halloween night. It has never been the theme in a film. My idea was to do an old haunted house film." Producer Irwin Yablans suggested a film about babysitters being menaced by a stalker and suggested that the film be set on Halloween night. From those ideas Carpenter wove the story for the movie "Halloween." Carpenter also wrote the musical score for the movie.

Reflecting on the film, Carpenter has described the movie as “True crass exploitation. I decided to make a film I would love to have seen as a kid, full of cheap tricks like a haunted house at a fair where you walk down the corridor and things jump out at you.” The film became a hit and the first of the slasher film genre. Carpenter’s budget for the movie was $320,000; the film initially grossed $65 million making it one of the most successful independent films in history.

Many of the road names et.al. are all around here.

Last edited:

Never really been a contractor, but basically do all my own work...whether it be in our home or our rentals. Not rocket science...but you do have to know what you're doing. Guess I get it from my Dad who was the same way.
The only thing I don't like doing is plumbing. Always that fear of a leak popping open behind a wall somewhere and not knowing it until its too late. Even with that....I've remodeled our two baths and built one from scratch in one of our rentals. Been a number of years and no leaks...but... 🤞

Never really been a contractor, but basically do all my own work...whether it be in our home or our rentals. Not rocket science...but you do have to know what you're doing. Guess I get it from my Dad who was the same way.
The only thing I don't like doing is plumbing. Always that fear of a leak popping open behind a wall somewhere and not knowing it until its too late. Even with that....I've remodeled our two baths and built one from scratch in one of our rentals. Been a number of years and no leaks...but... 🤞

Yes Sir,
We had several rentals at one time and still have a few but now I hire the work out. The homes we have now are newer types I I went in trying to cut down possible issues with the larger items. I did just finish and paint my garage walls. (threw out a lot too.)

My kids won't manage them. They'd just want the dough. Will probably sell all in another year or two.

Last edited:
Good Monday afternoon. Here in Eastern Ky it has gone from rainy to sunshine, with a prediction of more rain later today. Been reading all the threads and I am not much into slasher movies either, especially the ones that have 10 sequels such as all the Halloween and Chucky movies. I do like a suspenseful horror movie like It, The Shining, and Poltergeist. Looking forward to a great week of UK sports. Big game against MSU, and another look at our basketball team when they play their 1st exhibition game. Everyone take care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT