ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

You guys are making me feel like a Bernie Sanders Progressive with my puny arsenal of a Remington .22 rifle, an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge pump and a little Ruger 380 automatic I got back in the day when some people in the DC Government I was writing about were threatening me.

I have a few more guns at my dad's place in Kentucky, including a sweet L.C. Smith double barrel 12 gauge ideal for quail hunting in heavy brush. But I suppose if you can't lay hands on it, it doesn't count.

IMG_1630.JPG

Good morning D-League. What a night. I stayed up to watch Bama lose. Crazy.

To answer the question posed above, the CBS football analyst predicts Kentucky will move up to #8. That'd be an amazing rise for the program.

On a sad note, I heard that 4-star Gen. Ray Odierno died last night at the too young age of 67. I got to know Gen. Odierno fairly well during the Iraq war, first in his role as CG of the 4th Infantry Division when the war started, and later as the theater commander in Iraq. I considered him the best of the American generals in that war -- more competent and engaged than Petraeus and less of a phony who courted the press for headlines.

Some of you may not know that Ray's son was badly injured early in the war, losing an arm to a rocket propelled grenade. We had private conversations about that, and I know how much that affected him.

I traveled with the 4th from Fort Hood to Kuwait, then into Iraq, through Baghdad, Taji, Balad, Tikrit and finally with a small task force up to Mosul in the spring of 2003. Gen. Odierno apparently thought I did a fair job covering his troops, because he personally presented me with his Challenge Coin, which I'm proud to have. SOme of you ex-service folks might be interested:
Condolenses for the loss of your friend.
For those wondering, I was searching through the guide for football replays of future opponents and found out that

UK Basketball Pro Day is on SEC Network at 530pm

Replay of the LSU victory at 11am tomorrow, same channel
Watched Pro Day. Helps me learn their faces and numbers.
31 days of horror movies here. Except game days of course. We'll be watching Freaks, a controversial film for its time (1932), people actually ran out of the theater. It was banned in the UK for 30 years. I love it.

https://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/9-schlitzie.jpg
Freaks is cultish fun. My cultish fav is probably "The Terror of Tiny Town" starring Billy Curtis.
I'm so disconnected from college hoops anymore that I have to guess what Pro Days are (Though sounds pretty obvious.). Never heard of them till now. And am fine with that.
Nebraska's Lets Go Brandon chant brought me back to collegiate football and I've never been a Husker fan before.
@Bert Higginbotha @wildcatdonf @Sawnee Cat @AustinTXCat @UK82 @_Rooster @Ben101er and anyone else that has my phone number...give me a call when you get a chance so I can put your number back in my phone. I wasn't able to retrieve ANYTHING from my last phone. Thanks!
Good excuse. Expect a call soon as I don't text, tweet or have an eye anything and still system rebuilding so I'll look you up. You in the impotent stuff near the middle of puter pile. 82 right there as well.

This is what you must do. My grandpa told me if a man has you down and is beating you to a pulp, just bite off his ear. There are no rules in street fighting or self protection. There just ain't
Came home crying to my Dad that Tony had beat me up. He got pissed and told me that if Tony was bigger than me then pick up a stick or a board and beat him with it. If Tony was smaller than me then I needed to learn to fight, but either way do not come to see him again about somebody beating me up. We were all around 12 and he was 16 and probably bigger than I ever became. He came back later and I ended up beating him pretty bad with a broomstick. His parents came to see my parents. He never came around anymore.
Not a big gumbo guy but, that looks good.
Dude, you are a picky eater. We all see it. Consider this an intervention. Errybody likes gumbo!
I am glad to hear you are getting better.......I wish that they could fix me but.........I spent my whole career thinking I had to work harder than anyone on the job.......it did get me to the top of he heap.......but the orthopedic surgeon told me I had abused myself and there wasn't anything he could do to help......

I have been the domestic around here for the last 20 yrs......I told the Director to not say anything to the ladies at work about my domestic abilities.........no need having strange women knocking on my door.......
It hasn't happened at my wife's new office yet, but at the old one whenever one of the ladies was having a birthday at work, they would request some kind of dessert and I would make it for them.

I wouldn't do their dishes or windows though!
Evidently trash pick-up services are having a hard time finding people to work. This is the 3rd time in 5 weeks that Rumpke has failed to pick-up our yard waste. My Dad uses Waste Management and he's having the same problem. He called to complain and was told there's a labor shortage.
They are going to have to pay better to get someone to do it. People have been given a taste of money for nothing, checks for free now and it will be hard to get them to go back to work.
Knowing about you I know we have had to have met at one time or another. Even if, in passing.
82 and I used to go to the same bars, concerts, Belvedere events, fireworks shows, Catholic picnics, state fairs, and I bet he was even there when they fired off that damn fountain. He probably spilled a beer on me at one time or another.

For some reason I just took to singing this song while I was composing this social media post to me E friends on the D!

I don't know how or why I know this song but I sang right along to it. Help me remember.

You guys are making me feel like a Bernie Sanders Progressive with my puny arsenal of a Remington .22 rifle, an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge pump and a little Ruger 380 automatic I got back in the day when some people in the DC Government I was writing about were threatening me.

I have a few more guns at my dad's place in Kentucky, including a sweet L.C. Smith double barrel 12 gauge ideal for quail hunting in heavy brush. But I suppose if you can't lay hands on it, it doesn't count.
Know what you mean. All I have are hunting guns. But I have a basement full, and a few in my closet for the dumbass that decides to invade my house. Only one pistol, it’s the only gun I never learned to shoot well. But I can shoot the rest well enough that he ain’t getting to pistol range. I can remember multiple hunts from looking at each gun I own, and it always brings back good memories. I’ve never sold a gun in my life. Just couldn’t bear it honestly. They will go to my kids when I’m gone. And, although neither my son or daughter hunt anymore, they can both shoot a gnat off a dogs ass from long range. I made sure of that years ago.

Know what you mean. All I have are hunting guns. But I have a basement full, and a few in my closet for the dumbass that decides to invade my house. Only one pistol, it’s the only gun I never learned to shoot well. But I can shoot the rest well enough that he ain’t getting to pistol range. I can remember multiple hunts from looking at each gun I own, and it always brings back good memories. I’ve never sold a gun in my life. Just couldn’t bear it honestly. They will go to my kids when I’m gone. And, although neither my son or daughter hunt anymore, they can both shoot a gnat off a dogs ass from long range. I made sure of that years ago.
Good stories Backer.
All this gun talk got me thinking of the best rifle I ever had -- for about three weeks.
In the first days of the Ground War during Desert Storm, February 1991, I was with a scout patrol of the Big Red One. Iraqis were surrendering in droves, and an Iraqi Captain walked up to me and handed me his AK-47. It was a beautiful weapon (see below) finely grained wood and a bayonet that flipped under when not in use. I fooled around and learned how to take it apart -- as I recall it only has something like 17 parts.

Anyway, I wanted to get it home. But the Saudis let it be known that anyone caught smuggling guns out of the country would go immediately to jail, and stay there indefinitely. I'd been overseas for seven months and couldn't bear the idea of being stuck in an Arab lock-up. Meanwhile, a network TV producer had let it be known he'd buy any battlefield guns -- they had a license from the Saudis to ship back tons of equipment unchecked.

So I sold it to the guy for $500 -- and still regret it. Would love to have it on my wall.

Good stories Backer.
All this gun talk got me thinking of the best rifle I ever had -- for about three weeks.
In the first days of the Ground War during Desert Storm, February 1991, I was with a scout patrol of the Big Red One. Iraqis were surrendering in droves, and an Iraqi Captain walked up to me and handed me his AK-47. It was a beautiful weapon (see below) finely grained wood and a bayonet that flipped under when not in use. I fooled around and learned how to take it apart -- as I recall it only has something like 17 parts.

Anyway, I wanted to get it home. But the Saudis let it be known that anyone caught smuggling guns out of the country would go immediately to jail, and stay there indefinitely. I'd been overseas for seven months and couldn't bear the idea of being stuck in an Arab lock-up. Meanwhile, a network TV producer had let it be known he'd buy any battlefield guns -- they had a license from the Saudis to ship back tons of equipment unchecked.

So I sold it to the guy for $500 -- and still regret it. Would love to have it on my wall.
Yeah, guns make memories. My family history is all about hunting, fishing, shooting etc. I still have my grandfathers fish gig he made out of truck springs. I saw him gig thousands of fish with it, and wouldn’t take anything for it. Best times of my life enjoying the outdoors with family. And thanks for your service, by the way. Glad you made it home safely, so many didn’t.

I feel like I am inadequete with my poor little collection of guns........The Director bought me a Remmington 270 deer rifle for my birthday in 2011....I have never had the trigger lock off of it.........I bought a Springfield 9mm........I bought the Director a .380..............and I have a Gamo 1300 pellet gun for varmints.....that is the only gun I have fired.........I did purchase the Berna pepper spray gun for the Director and myself......sold my old JC Higgins 12 ga about 45 yrs ago......cold hard winter and needed money......I wish I had it back......

I feel like I am inadequete with my poor little collection of guns........The Director bought me a Remmington 270 deer rifle for my birthday in 2011....I have never had the trigger lock off of it.........I bought a Springfield 9mm........I bought the Director a .380..............and I have a Gamo 1300 pellet gun for varmints.....that is the only gun I have fired.........I did purchase the Berna pepper spray gun for the Director and myself......sold my old JC Higgins 12 ga about 45 yrs ago......cold hard winter and needed money......I wish I had it back......
My wife doesn’t own a gun, per say, but, like my kids, I taught her how to shoot and hunt. And she is one of the best turkey hunters I’ve ever seen. So patient, and any Turkey within range is in a world of hurt. She grew up with 5 brothers who all hunted and shot guns. But they never let her do those things. So when we met, she jumped at the chance to join me, and she excelled at it. It’s really made our marriage stronger and more satisfying for 40 years. (I’ve turned into a bag of mush tonight, damn).

Good stories Backer.

You wouldn't happen to know a guy named Robert Ludlum would you?

Good evening D, good report today, my doctor told me after a few x-rays that everything looks good with my hips, he thinks it's a muscle issue, told me give it another month.

So the doctor walks in today with his assistant, shakes hands with me and Mrs. M and says, your my patient that worked in explosives right I said yes sir, he turns to his assistant and says I told you so!!!!! Kind of make a fellow feel good that he remembers where I worked after all this time. As I was leaving, I said since you remember me, how many more do you have that worked with explosives, he said I was the only one I have ever met! I remember the first time I went to him, we talked for over 30 minutes about everything I did with my job before we ever got to what was wrong with me!!!!

Read 20!

Have I ever told you how much I hate crackheads!!!!! I ought to be a law that if you rent to them, you must live next to them!!!!!

Have a great evening D and Prayers for the D!!!!

Guns, I have 3 pistols, 380, 38 and a H&R 939 22.I know it's a cheap one but it a beautiful pistol with an odd shaped barrel. A Remington 222 that is a great varmint gun, Rem double barrel 20 and 12 gauged pump. I also have my DAD'S 22 rifle that is really old!!! I also have a brother that reloads everything!!!!

Good evening D, good report today, my doctor told me after a few x-rays that everything looks good with my hips, he thinks it's a muscle issue, told me give it another month.

So the doctor walks in today with his assistant, shakes hands with me and Mrs. M and says, your my patient that worked in explosives right I said yes sir, he turns to his assistant and says I told you so!!!!! Kind of make a fellow feel good that he remembers where I worked after all this time. As I was leaving, I said since you remember me, how many more do you have that worked with explosives, he said I was the only one I have ever met! I remember the first time I went to him, we talked for over 30 minutes about everything I did with my job before we ever got to what was wrong with me!!!!

Read 20!

Have I ever told you how much I hate crackheads!!!!! I ought to be a law that if you rent to them, you must live next to them!!!!!

Guns, I have 3 pistols, 380, 38 and a H&R 939 22.I know it's a cheap one but it a beautiful pistol with an odd shaped barrel. A Remington 222 that is a great varmint gun, Rem double barrel 20 and 12 gauged pump. I also have my DAD'S 22 rifle that is really old!!! I also have a brother that reloads everything!!!!
Good to hear you are doing better Cord. Bet you are chomping at the bits to detect! Hopefully you can soon.

Came home crying to my Dad that Tony had beat me up. He got pissed and told me that if Tony was bigger than me then pick up a stick or a board and beat him with it. If Tony was smaller than me then I needed to learn to fight, but either way do not come to see him again about somebody beating me up. We were all around 12 and he was 16 and probably bigger than I ever became. He came back later and I ended up beating him pretty bad with a broomstick. His parents came to see my parents. He never came around anymore.

Dude, you are a picky eater. We all see it. Consider this an intervention. Errybody likes gumbo!

It hasn't happened at my wife's new office yet, but at the old one whenever one of the ladies was having a birthday at work, they would request some kind of dessert and I would make it for them.

I wouldn't do their dishes or windows though!

They are going to have to pay better to get someone to do it. People have been given a taste of money for nothing, checks for free now and it will be hard to get them to go back to work.

82 and I used to go to the same bars, concerts, Belvedere events, fireworks shows, Catholic picnics, state fairs, and I bet he was even there when they fired off that damn fountain. He probably spilled a beer on me at one time or another.

For some reason I just took to singing this song while I was composing this social media post to me E friends on the D!

I don't know how or why I know this song but I sang right along to it. Help me remember.
I eats what I like man. But yeah, kind of picky.

Good stories Backer.

They (the Iraqi's) were surrendering everywhere. They knew they were outmatched. The only reason some stayed was because of the Republican Guard Force.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and muggy. Humid. 5-15 MPH wind from south. 50% rain chance. Flash flood watch in effect. Today's high may reach 88°F.

Pup woke me again early this morning. Took her out so she could take care of business. She's slowly getting better.

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

NATIONAL-YORKSHIRE-PUDDING-DAY-%E2%80%93-October-13-1024x512.png

Good Morning on this the 13th day of October in the year 2021. We made it this far.

We have a pleasant morning with a current temperature of 69° and a high expected around 85°. The Sun will be shinning.

I did quite a bit of yard work yesterday and added a little color outside with some mums and a few Desert Roses. My wife like them. Bones are hurting but the coffee is mending the soreness.

Tonight we head down to Clearwater to see "The Monkees" I am going for family unity. I was not into that music when it was popular but my children watched them on TV. My daughter and family will meet us there to attend "The Final Tour: I think they started in the 1960's and a few of them have already passed away. It should be a fun evening because they advertised they will play all of the oldies and they did have some huge hits back then. Fun times.

Take care all. Read Matthew 20

second-monkees.jpg

Last edited:

Read 20!

Hope you feel better soon.

Good morning D-League. Out for a walk on a cool morning in fairly dense fog. I love the atmosphere around here as we get deeper into October.

There are unlimited ghost stories associated with DC and with little towns up in the Shenandoah Valley. And lots of towns around here have Fall or Apple festivals this month. It’s a fun season.

I hope you all are having a good week.

Good morning D-League. Out for a walk on a cool morning in fairly dense fog. I love the atmosphere around here as we get deeper into October.

There are unlimited ghost stories associated with DC and with little towns up in the Shenandoah Valley. And lots of towns around here have Fall or Apple festivals this month. It’s a fun season.

I hope you all are having a good week.
It is a fun season. My wife loves ghost hunting shows and did the overnight tour of the Waverly Hills Sanitorium several years ago. Supposedly one of the most haunted places on Earth. I'm skeptical though. One of the shows, might have been Ghost Hunters, actually did a live broadcast from there on Halloween night about 5 years ago. It was a bust.

waverly-hills-sanatorium-533b2546a8b931ea.jpg

Good stories Backer.

Ha ha. Well done. There were weapons all over the place. By the way, Cold War-era East German variants are the best AKs.

Good friend, who served with me over there, brought back a Makarov pistol he took off an Iraqi officer. He hid the pistol in a fuel tank. Heh, never get caught with captured weapons. One guy in our unit got a field grade Article-15 after he was caught up in Germany with an AK he brought back. He may have hid it in a conex.

It is a fun season. My wife loves ghost hunting shows and did the overnight tour of the Waverly Hills Sanitorium several years ago. Supposedly one of the most haunted places on Earth. I'm skeptical though. One of the shows, might have been Ghost Hunters, actually did a live broadcast from there on Halloween night about 5 years ago. It was a bust.

waverly-hills-sanatorium-533b2546a8b931ea.jpg
82 - My 23-year-old daughter likes those shows, while being skeptical of course. There is a little town not that far north of us called Shepherdstown, WVa that is supposed to host all kinds of ghosts. There was a whole cable show called Ghosts of Shepherdstown which I've never seen. But my daughter and I are planning a Halloween season visit up there just for the fun of it. By the way, that town is very close to Burkittstown, Md., where the Blair Witch Project was set. We'll check out the graveyard and some of the woods from that movie while we're up there.

Ha ha. Well done. There were weapons all over the place. By the way, Cold War-era East German variants are the best AKs.

Good friend, who served with me over there, brought back a Makarov pistol he took off an Iraqi officer. He hid the pistol in a fuel tank. Heh, never get caught with captured weapons. One guy in our unit got a field grade Article-15 after he was caught up in Germany with an AK he brought back. He may have hid it in a conex.
Austin, sorry about the guy who got caught. I feared a similar outcome. I really had no way to smuggle an entire AK-47 in my personal gear. And yes, the Saudis did go over my bags quite a bit. So did US Customs on the other end. In the end, I was probably lucky to get $500 for it. I have gotten a few things back; a Republican Guard silk flag with Saddam's face on it, a Hutu warrior spear from Rwanda which I got on a military flight back to Dover, Delaware, stuff like that.

Good morning! Slept well last night. Headed to the hole in the wall drive up window for a freshly made BLT and then it's off to the course.

Lost the ball I played with this past weekend on the 5th hole yesterday. Hit it too high and the wind took it off to the woods. It was getting pretty beat up anyway. Threw down another brand new ball and hit it into the same woods. 40 holes with one ball, one swing with the next. My golf game in a nutshell.

I didn't watch the pro days either. Can't say I forgot it was on because I don't think I knew about it. I'll try and watch Blue Madness but it's not what it used to be for me.

Basketball team will be improved this year. One reason is there will be people here who weren't here last year. Another reason is there are people who won't be here this year who were here last year.

Have a good day!

@wildcatdonf call me!

Austin, sorry about the guy who got caught. I feared a similar outcome. I really had no way to smuggle an entire AK-47 in my personal gear. And yes, the Saudis did go over my bags quite a bit. So did US Customs on the other end. In the end, I was probably lucky to get $500 for it. I have gotten a few things back; a Republican Guard silk flag with Saddam's face on it, a Hutu warrior spear from Rwanda which I got on a military flight back to Dover, Delaware, stuff like that.
Are you going to write a book about your time abroad covering wars? I would definitely like to read it. A lot of guys here have interesting life stories, but I think yours seems to be the most fascinating.

Are you going to write a book about your time abroad covering wars? I would definitely like to read it. A lot of guys here have interesting life stories, but I think yours seems to be the most fascinating.
Thanks for those kind words Bert. It has crossed my mind, but as long as I'm still working I never seem to find the time to concentrate on it. A few of my colleagues have done it, some have been worthy efforts others not so much. Not sure how I'd do, but I would like to give it a try some day.

Like I told one of my old Manager's son. (I liked his Dad at the time. He was a flake but a decent human being and dealt with me honestly.) He was a bar hopper in his early twenties (I was in my early thirties) at the time and was a fighter. I told him then.. Some people won't take a whipping. He looked at me weird. I told him you have a new baby. Focus on your family and get out of that bar crap. Three or so weeks later he got his throat cut from ear to ear by a guy he was whipping on. Luckily he lived. When he got back to work some months later he came up to me and told me he understands now what I meant. His name is Kurt C. (I bet awf has run into him too.) @awf

Just me but I always seem to listen to people when they act like they care about me. Too many I have come in contact with just don't care until it happens to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT