ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I had several relatives at D Day. My cousin Bill Sittley was one of my favored.

He landed on Omaha beach on June 6, 1944, D-Day. He was one of only three men in his Higgins boat that survived the landing. He was shot in the knee and in the face (the 8mm round went through both his cheeks and missed all of his teeth as he was running with his mouth open). They told him he had a million dollar wound and would be going home. 4 weeks latter he was back in Normandy and got his jaw broken in hand to hand combat with a German. They told him he had a million dollar wound and would be going home. 6 weeks later he was back in combat. They sent him to Belgium for R & R and he got to participate in the “Battle of the Bulge”. He ended up in Germany when the Germans surrendered. Bill and his buddies got drunk and Bill rolled down a mountain to sustain his last wound!

He hung around the Army and was a combat vet of the Korean war also.

He always told the funny stories not the sad ones. He knew how lucky he was.
That is quite a career. Outstanding

And you are fortunate if you even get the pretzel and coke. Airlines went from the best way to travel to the worst. I guess it all changed after 9/11 and has become unbearable after COVID

197599226_3051910698465354_5863806457210608462_n.jpg

That pyramid takes you to the basement & entrance. Mona L. lives there.
The last time we went to Paris I called ahead to make reservations to the Louvre......we was told there were no tickets available.......we was going by there on a bus early one morning.....we decided to just get off and look around............we went over to the street entrance and was looking around......we walked towards the pavilon and the police didn't say to get out so we kept going in......we saw two ladies over by the pyramids......we went over for a look see....it was the line to get in.......I asked them if they had tickets or reservations...they had neither.......we got into the Louve 3rd & 4th.......got to see Mona and Venus De Milo and about two hrs of other things.........by the time the line opened people were lined up around the pavillon and out another portal in the palace......a few hundred people at least.....

The last time we went to Paris I called ahead to make reservations to the Louvre......we was told there were no tickets available.......we was going by there on a bus early one morning.....we decided to just get off and look around............we went over to the street entrance and was looking around......we walked towards the pavilon and the police didn't say to get out so we kept going in......we saw two ladies over by the pyramids......we went over for a look see....it was the line to get in.......I asked them if they had tickets or reservations...they had neither.......we got into the Louve 3rd & 4th.......got to see Mona and Venus De Milo and about two hrs of other things.........by the time the line opened people were lined up around the pavillon and out another portal in the palace......a few hundred people at least.....
The place is huuuuge. We spent 4-5 hours there and didn't begin to touch it.

Paris is a great place to visit. Been 3 times for a total of about 8 days. I'd go back tomorrow.

I had several relatives at D Day. My cousin Bill Sittley was one of my favored.

He landed on Omaha beach on June 6, 1944, D-Day. He was one of only three men in his Higgins boat that survived the landing. He was shot in the knee and in the face (the 8mm round went through both his cheeks and missed all of his teeth as he was running with his mouth open). They told him he had a million dollar wound and would be going home. 4 weeks latter he was back in Normandy and got his jaw broken in hand to hand combat with a German. They told him he had a million dollar wound and would be going home. 6 weeks later he was back in combat. They sent him to Belgium for R & R and he got to participate in the “Battle of the Bulge”. He ended up in Germany when the Germans surrendered. Bill and his buddies got drunk and Bill rolled down a mountain to sustain his last wound!

He hung around the Army and was a combat vet of the Korean war also.

He always told the funny stories not the sad ones. He knew how lucky he was.
Sounds a bit like my Dad....and I'm sure thousands of others. He had (I think) 3 tanks shot out from under him.....2 of them he was the only survivor. Was shot in the latter stages of 'the Bulge', and was hit in the back from mortar shrapnel while giving a talk standing on top of a Jeep's hood. Sometimes life/death is only an inch or two the other way.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 66°, with mostly sunny skies and a high of 87° expected later today.

Everyone stay safe and have a great Saturday.

peru-vx-france-attractions-louvre.jpg
Is it just me (not an art connoisseur at all) .... I've always thought that ultra modern pyramid in front of the elegant old Louvre building not only didn't fit in, but was just flat out horrible.

That is quite a career. Outstanding
Name: William Francis Sittley

Service Info.: WOJG US ARMY WORLD WAR II, KOREA

Birth Date: 17 Sep 1919

Death Date: 27 May 2001

Service Start Date: 1 Feb 1941

Interment Date: 4 Jun 2001

Cemetery: Florida National Cemetery

Cemetery Address: 6502 SW. 102nd Ave. Bushnell, FL 33513

Howdy D-League. Good discussion on D-Day. Some of you may know the book, "The Bedford Boys" but I'd recommend it to those who do not. It focuses on the small town in southwest Virginia of Bedford that through a chain of circumstances ended up suffering by far the most casualties as a percentage of the population of any place in America.

The writer, Alex Kershaw, is a a friend of mine. A Brit, educated at Oxford, but with a deep and sincere admiration and knowledge of America's sacrifice in WW2.
Amazon product ASIN 0306813556

Looks like a really nice day shaping up here in the Buckeye State. Sunny and warm....heading to the mid-80s.

Tough night sleeping. Spent almost the entire day mowing (still not done). Even though my riding mower is comfortable (Husquvarna 52 inch cut) if I spend a lot of time on it my back pays the consequences. Probably was on it for 3-4 hours straight. When I went to bed it was one of those aches/pains where it was a struggle to lay still, roll over, etc. Kept waking up. Finally around 2:30 I finally was able to stay asleep till 6:30. Maybe being on that rider for long periods of time makes the muscles in the back tense up...and finally around 2:30 they started to relax. Don't know. Not as much 'achy' this morning....so it will be back out at it to finish one of the fields....then a few other things in the yard.

Y'all have a good, safe day.

Hello Sir,
Not knowing any details just offering ideas. (I get some back pain now and again but I don't go through the riggers of work you do now. (Me taking off 40 pounds several years ago has added years it seems to less pain and a lot of other areas.) I used to mow a little over an acre regularly. Do you wear a back brace/support while you are mowing? I found that stopped a lot of my agony. Now after doing some work and I feel my back tensing up I take a 500mg Tylenol. I have Ibuprofen but do not use that for my back pain. The Tylenol works to stop the agonizing pain though it doesn't stop it all. I have been blessed in that I usually only have to take a couple Tylenols a week and one or two Ibuprofen 400MG. Besides my cholesterol medicine (Most of that is hereditary as my cholesterol now stays at 150.) and the different vitamins I take, Oh, I do take an 81MG aspirin a day as prescribed by my cardiologist. I am thankful.

My darling and I just got back from running around town hitting the markets. I am studying for a certification and also for some critical items I have to address this week at work. Drinking a nice light cup of coffee and on my computer...

I will of course bother and pester all throughout the rest of this day...

Oh, God Bless you all and may God full-fill your desires in him. May you also all seek God in all you do and let him guide your path through your life.

Hello Sir,
Not knowing any details just offering ideas. (I get some back pain now and again but I don't go through the riggers of work you do now. (Me taking off 40 pounds several years ago has added years it seems to less pain and a lot of other areas.) I used to mow a little over an acre regularly. Do you wear a back brace/support while you are mowing? I found that stopped a lot of my agony. Now after doing some work and I feel my back tensing up I take a 500mg Tylenol. I have Ibuprofen but do not use that for my back pain. The Tylenol works to stop the agonizing pain though it doesn't stop it all. I have been blessed in that I usually only have to take a couple Tylenols a week and one or two Ibuprofen 400MG. Besides my cholesterol medicine (Most of that is hereditary as my cholesterol now stays at 150.) and the different vitamins I take, Oh, I do take an 81MG aspirin a day as prescribed by my cardiologist. I am thankful.

My darling and I just got back from running around town hitting the markets. I am studying for a certification and also for some critical items I have to address this week at work. Drinking a nice light cup of coffee and on my computer...

I will of course bother and pester all throughout the rest of this day...

Oh, God Bless you all and may God full-fill your desires in him. May you also all seek God in all you do and let him guide your path through your life.
The Mrs always tells me to wear a brace while I'm on the garden tractor....but I don't.
She also (always) tell me to take ibuprofen for the pain/swelling....but I don't.
Seems like a pattern 😄

I've always been the kind that I don't take any medication/pills unless I have to. Vitamins every day, but that's all. The older I get, the more I think that maybe a brace and Tylenol/ibuprofen might not be a bad idea.

We was there for a week in 2000 and then again for a week in 2006......the last time we stayed for 16 days........I want to go back.......
Since you've been there that much, what do you enjoy the most? Me,
- Musee d'Orsay
- Rodin Museum/sculpture garden
- just staring at Eiffel Tower
- Sainte-Chapelle
- Notre Dame was good
- Sainte Etienne with stone carved railings inside

Name: William Francis Sittley

Service Info.: WOJG US ARMY WORLD WAR II, KOREA

Birth Date: 17 Sep 1919

Death Date: 27 May 2001

Service Start Date: 1 Feb 1941

Interment Date: 4 Jun 2001

Cemetery: Florida National Cemetery

Cemetery Address: 6502 SW. 102nd Ave. Bushnell, FL 33513
Florida National Cemetery is a couple counties over from me. a beautiful place. I do not have any relatives buried there that I know of but the father in law of one of my first cousins is buried there. I visit a few times a year. It is well cared for and a peaceful place to go. It is very close to I-75 and easy access

Bushnell+9.11.11+028.JPG

The place is huuuuge. We spent 4-5 hours there and didn't begin to touch it.

Paris is a great place to visit. Been 3 times for a total of about 8 days. I'd go back tomorrow.
I visited twice during the 80s, not including PanAm stopover flights, for a total of 4 days. Plan on returning in the near future.

The Mrs always tells me to wear a brace while I'm on the garden tractor....but I don't.
She also (always) tell me to take ibuprofen for the pain/swelling....but I don't.
Seems like a pattern 😄

I've always been the kind that I don't take any medication/pills unless I have to. Vitamins every day, but that's all. The older I get, the more I think that maybe a brace and Tylenol/ibuprofen might not be a bad idea.

What? You calling me a woman??? jk jk... ;)

Since you've been there that much, what do you enjoy the most? Me,
- Musee d'Orsay
- Rodin Museum/sculpture garden
- just staring at Eiffel Tower
- Saint-Chapelle
- Notre Dame was good
- Sainte Etienne with stone carved railings inside
We did an extended tour of Versailles.......Petit Palais........it was just us and a guide......who was a history teacher turned tour guide..........the first visit to Paris I climbed the steps of the Eiffel Tower...........wouldn't do it now if I could.........we always buy a Metro pass....you get to see the whole city........There were a lot of Bosnian women begging out in front of Notre Dame on the big open pavilion............I bet we had 30 try to hand us their begging cards.......a nice evening at Paradise Latin Cabaret......they have smoked salmon that is to die for.....Saint-Chapelle was really nice but as religious buildings go......not my favorite..............there is a pigeon race that is liberated just south of Paris.....they release 10-12K birds going all across Europe......the winner is instantly a millionaire...........I want to witness that liberation........also in 2011.....the level of homeless people on the streets was crazy.....whole families living on the sidewalk.....you couldn't find a bench to sit on any of the major boulevards........they were all occupied with homeless folks.......we enjoy walking around watching the people.....we like the outdoor cafes for this.........I am a time killer from way back.....

SC, or any of the D, all you need to do is start reading Isaiah 48 in the morning or any time tomorrow and post that you have read it, that makes you a member of our BIBLE reading group, will be proud of any of you joining. All we do is just make sure everybody reads for that day! If the chapters are real short, we may read 2 chapters.

Sir, I have not kept up with the reporting of my reading but I do want to thank you. I slacked off from my daily devotional reading for a good while now though I had a daily devotional. Getting away from reading the Word regularly is/was a painful flaw in my life I had become religiously involved with accomplishing on a daily basis. (I had years previously read the bible at least once a year and the year before the China virus I read the bible twice. (You can never stop reading unless you have a photographic memory and can quote it from memory. (I cannot.)) Though I quit reporting my reading for unknown reasons, thank you for again bringing this most important daily action back to my life on a regular basis. What you DID MATTERS! Thanks again!

Went to a nearby restaurant yesterday where I usually get, uh, spaghetti and meatballs, but wife and I ended up sharing a big ole pizza.
It never fails for me. I go into an Italian Restaurant with intentions to buy some exotic Italian food and I always go to my favorite. Spaghetti and meat balls. And my wife has it down to a science. In addition to meat balls she puts the following in her sauce. Pork chops, Italian sausage and mushrooms (by my request). I am the big mushroom eater in the family. She likes the pork chops and Italian sausage

She got the recipe from my mother who got it from Italians who moved down here from up North and attended our church.

Sir, I have not kept up with the reporting of my reading but I do want to thank you. I slacked off from my daily devotional reading for a good while now though I had a daily devotional. Getting away from reading the Word regularly is/was a painful flaw in my life I had become religiously involved with accomplishing on a daily basis. (I had years previously read the bible at least once a year and the year before the China virus I read the bible twice. (You can never stop reading unless you have a photographic memory and can quote it from memory. (I cannot.)) Though I quit reporting my reading for unknown reasons, thank you for again bringing this most important daily action back to my life on a regular basis. What you DID MATTERS! Thanks again!
You are welcome, I was just asking as a friend if anyone wanted to join me, in my koble, cable, ah heck group!!!!

We're making sticky ribs tonight. My secret to making them extra sticky, add a pinch of Gorilla glue to the sauce and serve on fly paper. Sticky as hell.

Listening to Pinetop Perkins. The man passed away in 2011 at the ripe old age of 97. I think he won a Grammy the year before. The man had good genes obviously:

“I thought (Pinetop) would live forever, and he came closer than anyone I’ve ever known,” Margolin said. He said Perkins had smoked every day since 1922, ate all his meals at McDonald’s and drank whiskey until he was 85 and ordered to undergo treatment after being arrested with an open container. “Jerry Portnoy (a Waters sideman) called me one day in 1983 and said he had some bad news. I thought that maybe it was Pinetop, but Jerry told me that Muddy had died. I thank God Pinetop had 28 more years of living to do.”

Been a decent day. Me and my Darling just got back from a couple mile walk around the neighborhood. I am thankful! Have a great evening and peaceful sleep...

(I am back at it hard for at least a couple more hours...have to meet my expectations...not an easy task.)

That's tough. We went through a similar situation about 20+ years ago with our Cocker Spaniel. Had a lump and took him to the vet. Vet gave the Mrs the option of removing the lump and hopefully getting all the cancer or removing the (hind) leg. She just couldn't give the OK on the leg....and hoped/prayed that just removal would work. It didn't. Later they had to remove the leg. Worked for a few months...got better...then worse. Had to put him down. He was a good dog.
Our boxer Maddie passed 3 years ago with DM (degenerative myopathy sp?). It's the canine version of Lou Gehrig's Disease. It started with the toes of her hind legs and slowly progressed forward. It's fairly common in German Shepherds, Boxers and a couple of other breeds. Jan thinks the shots required by law caused it. We took her to one of the top researchers in the field in Palm Beach Florida, but it did no good. Eventually she could only drag her hind legs, but I saw her run off intruding dogs even with no use of her hind legs, She was still very fast. She had a doggie wheel chair, but wouldn't use it. Boxers are very stubborn. You'd put her in the wheel chair and she would refuse to move. Eventually though, she couldn't move at all. You could tell she was ready and we had her put down. Jan gave her CBD oil and it helped calm her down and she coped with the disease better till the end.

Looks like a really nice day shaping up here in the Buckeye State. Sunny and warm....heading to the mid-80s.

Tough night sleeping. Spent almost the entire day mowing (still not done). Even though my riding mower is comfortable (Husquvarna 52 inch cut) if I spend a lot of time on it my back pays the consequences. Probably was on it for 3-4 hours straight. When I went to bed it was one of those aches/pains where it was a struggle to lay still, roll over, etc. Kept waking up. Finally around 2:30 I finally was able to stay asleep till 6:30. Maybe being on that rider for long periods of time makes the muscles in the back tense up...and finally around 2:30 they started to relax. Don't know. Not as much 'achy' this morning....so it will be back out at it to finish one of the fields....then a few other things in the yard.

Y'all have a good, safe day.
Cut mine yesterday and used the weed eater to finish. 3 hours tops which normally takes me a little over 2. Marshy area in the back in my part of the easement where there is an underground spring that flows up during spring rains. If left alone and just cut around the area, cat tails will appear. So rubber boots and slow going to help keep in down. Neighbor to the back of me has that problem with about a quarter of his back yard during the spring.

I get spaghetti and meatballs every time I go to Olive Garden.
Had that for dinner last night with MIL and BIL (vegans) so, she (wife) made sauce with meat and sauce without. Fishing did not go well this week or yesterday. BIL ate the sauce with meat. He quit the vegan thing this week.

Fishing report for yesterday: Warrior-Cat 1---Largemouth Bass 2. Hooked 3 bass and only landed one. Caught a channel cat with a white fluke which of course was a fluke. Heh, heh, he,.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT