ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Some of us were poor and had no idea we were poor. At least they were clean and had to wash behind their ears.

118355914_1195816257453331_6999558255752543661_o.jpg

My family was originally from Bracken County. My uncle was on that "famous" Bracken County team from the 1940s where Adolph Rupp offered the entire starting five scholarships. My uncle got drafted and never played varsity from UK but I believe one or two guys did.
I can tolerate a Big Train..... Polar Bear might be pushing it. A little.

I kid. Probably.

In the neighborhood back behind the Super Bowl area. I used to work at a machine builder (RAJ), and this was super convenient.

I looked at several newer areas. But wanted something to fix up. Get my fat butt moving so-to-speak, and my daughter tells me I need projects. a LOT of projects.

My new gig is on Industrial, so it is still a nice, short commute.
I drove past RAJ twice this a.m. Wife in library frequently. Son played ball at Lindeman.

My family was originally from Bracken County. My uncle was on that "famous" Bracken County team from the 1940s where Adolph Rupp offered the entire starting five scholarships. My uncle got drafted and never played varsity from UK but I believe one or two guys did.
Brooksville won state title in 1939. You referring to that team?

Not that team, but my sister married a Pelle connected to Pelle's Bar...
As a kid, laid in bed at night above river in Highland Heights & listened to trains being made up from letting cars go down the hump. What a racket. Don't know how the Grovers stood it. Would walk down the hill to gravel Blangey Rd. to river & take ferry to old Coney Island. Spent many a hot humid summer evening playing softball at old Four Mile Field. Know several Sandfosses. Sorry to see Terry go.

As a kid, laid in bed at night above river in Highland Heights & listened to trains being made up from letting cars go down the hump. What a racket. Don't know how the Grovers stood it. Would walk down the hill to gravel Blangey Rd. to river & take ferry to old Coney Island. Spent many a hot humid summer evening playing softball at old Four Mile Field. Know several Sandfosses. Sorry to see Terry go.
Yeah, the train cars coupling was one of those things you get used to, believe it or not, and then don't notice. I brought a couple city girls home for visits after I moved away, and later my wife, and without fail they'd describe being shaken out of sleep by what sounded like a plane crash. As I say, the locals never noticed...

My grandmother spoke fondly of old Coney Island on the river. Her and my mother visited often during the mid-1940s to early-1950s.

Yeah, the train cars coupling was one of those things you get used to, believe it or not, and then don't notice. I brought a couple city girls home for visits after I moved away, and later my wife, and without fail they'd describe being shaken out of sleep by what sounded like a plane crash. As I say, the locals never noticed...

My grandmother spoke fondly of old Coney Island on the river. Her and my mother visited often during the mid-1940s to early-1950s.
Visiting Coney Island via the ferry from the Kentucky side was one of the highlights of my single-digit year summers, and really on into my adolescence, in the 1960s. The neon lights would glimmer off the river at night, and the whole thing had a magical feeling for me.

Always good to chat with an Augusta Panther. Now for the needle:

My brother was a basketball player for Silver Grove the same year George Clooney was a senior, and the Big Trains schooled your boys...It is likely true that Clooney went on to make more money than my brother, so it all evens out...

And, probably a lot better looking wife.

Visiting Coney Island via the ferry from the Kentucky side was one of the highlights of my single-digit year summers, and really on into my adolescence, in the 1960s. The neon lights would glimmer off the river at night, and the whole thing had a magical feeling for me.
Agree. The lights of their midway fascinated me. Wonderful place. Much more character than replacement Kings Island. Wife & I went to Friday night dances at Coney's Moonlight Gardens into our late-50's.

Can never really understand the SEC love when UK is not involved. Really curious if other SEC teams root for UK when we are playing big games, or do they want us to lose the same way UL fans do.

I personally don't think other SEC teams/fanbases would cheer for UK if we were playing against the Taliban. Really don't think I am pulling for Arkansas just because they are a member of the SEC. I doubt Nolan Richardson would be cheering for us. LOL
Conference pride but I have a more selfish reason. I'm surrounded by UL and IU fans, either friends, neighbors, former co-workers or relatives. I've put up with the conference arguments all my life so it's a bonus when the SEC does well. No problem for football but there have been some really lean years in basketball.

Agree. The lights of their midway fascinated me. Wonderful place. Much more character than replacement Kings Island. Wife & I went to Friday night dances at Coney's Moonlight Gardens into our late-50's.

We still attend concerts at what is now River Bend. Still a nice place to walk around, and they still have a few rides.

There was a small amusement park near where i live called LeSourdsville Lake. talk about character. a real treat to go there when i was a kid. after i was married my wife and i would sometimes go there after work and stroll around, visit the penny arcade, grab a beer and hotdog. admission was like $1 back in the seventies. simple pleasures people nowadays can’t relate to.

Stevens Rail Yard? If memory serves, my grandfather may have worked there way back when, possibly 1940s during WW2. He worked over 30 years for the railroad.

Excellent news about Kellan Grady transferring to UK! No word from Mintz, Saar and Brooks on whether or not they'll stick around for another year. Doubtful all 3 will be back but you never know in this environment.

I doubt that Sarr would return, and I believe I would just as soon he didn't. I think the Mintz and Brooks mystery may be solved by watching who Cal brings in.

Stevens Rail Yard? If memory serves, my grandfather may have worked there way back when, possibly 1940s during WW2. He worked over 30 years for the railroad.
Yep. The whole town (about 1,000 people) where I grew up was built around the Stevens Yard. A lot of dads of the kids I grew up with worked there. The Yard shut down in the late 1970s, after the roundhouse caught fire, as I recall (I’d left town by then.)

If you guys do not mind, I will probably start jumping in from time-to-time.

I don't follow the sports side hardly at all anymore, and the Political Thread, well, you know how it is.

I like to read those threads, but I do not interact very much there.

You guys seem more my speed these days. :)
I had never been over here.......BBUK invited me over a few months ago........I like the D-league much more than RR.......I also like to go to the political thread to kick the liberals........

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites and Lurkers.
  • 2 mugs of Dark Magic down and that is all for me.
  • Wish I had a Starnes BBQ sandwich after while.
  • Watched Alabama
  • miss all of those FTs and turn it over a lot. Almost. Gone,
  • Welcome Augusta1
  • My Granny's middle name.
  • Where oh where is Beverly?
  • No wildlife. Weird.
  • You know ........ as you were.
  • Carry on.
I been using Starnes sauce on everything

Hey all
Hope everyone is doing well
We’re okay. Taking things day by day. Been an extremely hard few months and are dealing with some other things.
I got a text from a dear friend who said I should let you all know I’m still around. And he was right
I’ve missed you guys, haven’t had a lot of heart lately
Thank you all for asking about me
💜

Hey all
We’re okay. Taking things day by day. Been an extremely hard few months and are dealing with some other things.
I got a text from a dear friend who said I should let you all know I’m still around. And he was right
💜
Stay strong and do what you have to do but, keep us in mind. We miss you on here.

So enough about me
What’s everyone been doing?
Someone catch me up
I see a lot of newbies here. Nice to meet y’all
I haven’t been around much in the last year but I’ve been convinced I need to make a return
So here I am
Let’s talk

Great to meet you. I hope all is getting better for you. I know it's been rough going. God Bless you and yours.

Hey all
💜
.........Great to hear you are OK.......take care.....and hurry back.....

Good morning from ATX. Currently 61°F, cloudy with some drizzle. Today's high should reach 85°F. Another cold front inbound.

Welcome back, Bev. Great seeing you around here again.

And then there were 6. Cougars and Bears won last night. Two out of seven Texas teams qualifying for the NCAA tourney are in the Final Four. Two more games tonight.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

soup.jpg

Good morning D League, and welcome back Bev.

Clear and cool in the east. Heading out for my morning hike before work.

I’m excited about adding Kellan Grady to next year’s team, and suspect he’s the first of at least three more transfers we’ll see (along with Oscar.) if so, the Cats could be back pretty fast, like next year.

Hope you all have a good day.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 61°F, cloudy with some drizzle. Today's high should reach 85°F. Another cold front inbound.

Welcome back, Bev. Great seeing you around here again.

And then there were 6. Cougars and Bears won last night. Two out of seven Texas teams qualifying for the NCAA tourney are in the Final Four. Two more games tonight.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

soup.jpg

Can't wait for Chicken lip soup day too, along with Turkey Crop pot pie day.....

They can keep in the freezer until then...

Oh, I DO want to pray for all of you a great day to where you can stand alone if needed to combat the wrong-headedness in this world to where the world states; there is a little bit of right and a little bit of wrong and a whole lot of gray area to where they can live.

That is wrong on all fronts. There is right and wrong and a little bit of gray. May your day be filled with right things. God Bless you...

Bright, sunny and low 40s in the Buckeye State...heading up to 70. Sounds good to me. Not much planned for the day but with the warm weather I'm sure I'll be outside later doing yard stuff. Think the Mrs is heading to Honey Baked Ham today for not only Easter ham, but she's got a b'day coupon from them for a BOGO ham sandwich (she'll get turkey....allergic to pork).

Austin....like your posts on all threads....but you can keep the Turkey Neck Soup.

Welcome back Bev. Was just wondering a week or so ago how things were with you. Still prayers for you and the family.

Morning D. Salutations from the shanty.

Welcome back B.

Both games went about as expected last night. Did think Baylor would have made it a bigger differential.
Think Zags continue their dominance and Mich ends UCLA run tonight.

Cool 48° this am as it makes it way to 67° with sun. Thanks Bert.

More coffee..............................................................

Supposed to be a nice day here. I want to do a little pressure washing later.

With all of the challenges in the world, I like to try and say something positive.

I love my career and job. I am a technical trainer, and it suits me perfectly.

I get paid good money (Not Paddock Money, of course) to learn stuff and then to talk about it.

Today will be spent getting stronger and updating my Instructor Guide (IG) for a Machine Vision system.

So I study a bit, talk to the wall (myself) a bit, and take brain breaks as I need. :)

What more could a dumb-ole-country-boy ask for?

ANNNND, the new phone book is supposed to get here today. Hopefully, I will have finally made a list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT