ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I just herd Elgin Baylor has passed away at age 86. I first saw him play in the 1958 Championship game against our Fiddlin' Five. I was 14 years old and daddy had bought us tickets to the Final Four in Louisville, KY. The game was played at the Fairgrounds.

He was the best player on the court and Adolph Rupp had a great scouting report. Coach Rupp found out Baylor could not drive to his left as well as he could his right so Coach Rupp had the man guarding him force him to drive to his left. Baylor still got 25 points but Kentucky sharpshooters out shot the Chieftains led by Johnny Cox's 24.

Since this was the first game I saw in person and we won the NCAA title it still remains my favorite game these many years later. Nothing could top it.

Here is a link to the game. Rest In Peace Elgin Baylor, you were exciting to watch and it was an honor to beat your team because they were dadgum good.

It was the second UK game that I saw on TV.

I just heard Elgin Baylor has passed away at age 86. I first saw him play in the 1958 Championship game against our Fiddlin' Five. I was 14 years old and daddy had bought us tickets to the Final Four in Louisville, KY. The game was played at the Fairgrounds.

He was the best player on the court and Adolph Rupp had a great scouting report. Coach Rupp found out Baylor could not drive to his left as well as he could his right so Coach Rupp had the man guarding him force him to drive to his left. Baylor still got 25 points but Kentucky sharpshooters out shot the Chieftains led by Johnny Cox's 24.

Since this was the first game I saw in person and we won the NCAA title it still remains my favorite game these many years later. Nothing could top it.

Here is a link to the game. Rest In Peace Elgin Baylor, you were exciting to watch and it was an honor to beat your team because they were dadgum good.

Great story Sawnee. I don't have a direct link to that 1958 team, but here is an indirect one some of you folks might enjoy.

Lincoln Collinsworth of Salyersville, KY was on that 1958 team -- Cris Collinsworth's dad.

Lincoln's dad, Judge Collinsworth, was working for my father on a pipeline job in upstate New York that year. I was just about two, and when my mom went to the hospital to have my brother, they left me with the Collinsworth family for them to watch me.

All this was happening while my father and Lincoln's father were glued to the radio, listening to Kentucky's tournament run, and cheering for Lincoln. Apparently, the Collinsworth's teenage daughter babied me so much during that time I stayed with them that when it came time for me to return to my family, a pitched a terrible fit.

Just finished up at the doctor. She's going to send me to an orthopedist for my thumb, to see if I might need shots for it.
Was just wondering the other night who on here a couple months ago was talking about their thumb.
Mine bothers me too....but not bad enough to see a doc.
By now I figure it isn't where I bent it backwards doing something.... so something's going on but not THAT bad.

Was just wondering the other night who on here a couple months ago was talking about their thumb.
By now I figure it isn't where I bent it backwards doing something.... so something's going on but not THAT bad.
She had me put hands back to back with my fingers pointing down to see if they would go numb. She said by them not going numb, that it was most likely arthritis and not carpal tunnel.

Probably me. I had shots and they didn't help. Ortho guy said to just keep taking naproxen until I'm ready to do a joint replacement.

She had me put hands back to back with my fingers pointing down to see if they would go numb. She said by them not going numb, that it was most likely arthritis and not carpal tunnel.

Yeah, that's me. Not carpal tunnel, just arthritis. You can try shots and see if they help, but naproxen is what you go to, once the cortisone quits working. I know a guy that had the replacement done, and after 6 months he was glad he did it, but for the first 6 months, he questioned his decision. Not much fun.

No, I meant have you ever heard of anyone taking karate lessons after having their knees replaced?
No but I am sure you could you would just have to let the instructor know your physical limitations. Then you just concentrate on your strengths and also make them stronger. Bill "Super Foot" Wallace had one bad leg and used the other and became US middle weight full contact champion using only one leg to kick with. We had a student missing half his right leg and 3/4ths of his left and he was firing away with hands and nubs. Impressive really. He would take off his prosthetics and go to town. Loved this guys attitude.

Did the doctor give you exercises that help strengthen muscles in that area?

Last edited:
I was just 8 months old then and I think not long after that my first words were "Go Big Blue" My mother was a big UK fan and if we could watch them we did or listened to Cawood on the radio. Man I still miss Cawood.
Yeah, same here. What a legend. Cawood owned such a perfect voice and delivery. I saw him once out in Harlan after he retired during one of my visits back to the area sometime in 90s. He passed away the week before 9/11.

Yeah, same here. What a legend. Cawood owned such a perfect voice and delivery. I saw him once out in Harlan after he retired during one of my visits back to the area sometime in 90s. He passed away the week before 9/11.

I started a job on Fort Knox as a contractor the day before 9/11. (Not comparing, just observing.)(I Graduated High School the day John Wayne died...)

What I liked about him was.......you could hear his love for the Cats in his voice..........He was real..........

Good morning from ATX. Currently 58°F and cloudy with 92% humidity. Today's high should come in at around 84°F. Nice.

And then there were 16. UCLA roughed up my Abilene Christian Wildcats. Kansas getting pounded yesterday = Groovy. Happy for Leonard Hamilton and FSU . Not happy Wolverines beat LSU. PAC-12 for real this season. Wow.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

ab4bc7f993b59fb56b1f62dc1d4d6d4f726017f1

Good Morning all,

I have an appointment this morning to see my cardiologist. A regular thing but who knows. I am thankful...

May your day today be a day to remember in a good way to where you can look forward and look back to this day as being a start of the good to come. God Bless you all...

Good Morning all,

I have an appointment this morning to see my cardiologist. A regular thing but who knows. I am thankful...

May your day today be a day to remember in a good way to where you can look forward and look back to this day as being a start of the good to come. God Bless you all...
Good luck. Wishing you only the best.

I was just 8 months old then and I think not long after that my first words were "Go Big Blue" My mother was a big UK fan and if we could watch them we did or listened to Cawood on the radio. Man I still miss Cawood.

I got to know Cawood some from being in the Committee of 101. When he would broadcast, he would always come in early, before the gates opened, and I got to talk with him some. After he retired, he and his wife, Frances, would always stop and talk to me on their way to their seats. Just very nice, humble people. I thought so much of him that I bought a bunch of personal items that belonged to them, at auction. From his personal desk chair, china, lots of personalized books, memorabilia, etc. He had more horse racing things, than UK stuff. He truly loved UK, but I think horse racing was his first love.

Last edited:
I got to know Cawood some from being in the Committee of 101. When he would broadcast, he would always come in early, before the gates opened, and I got to talk with him some. After he retired, he and his wife would always stop and talk to me on their way to their seats. Just very nice, humble people. I thought so much of him that I bought a bunch of personal items that belonged to them, at auction. From his personal desk chair, china, lots of personalized books, memorabilia, etc. He had more horse racing things, than UK stuff. Horse racing was his first love.
Didn't he raise miniature horses.? Something like this.

5f498350dbbf8.image.jpg

Good Morning all,

Never been to a cardiologist. The thing with the Army hospital here is that they will not refer you unless you come in complaining about chest pains. I have never had a stress test or anything of the sort. I requested a test a year or so back and they said they could not unless I had problems. Whatever happened to getting check ups and preventative measures? I would like to know where my health is in regards to my heart.

Well we have a nice morning in store and I think I will take a day trip. Just heard on the radio since Inauguration Day gas prices have increased 76 cents a gallon down here. Thanks Joe, keep it going, I think you can make it to $5.00 a gallon by the end of the year. Yay!!!

My wife loves Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and Lakeland, FL has a very nice museum of this work. We will meet her cousin and husband who are coming up from Sebring. There is a very nice restaurant in Lakeland called Harry's that should be a nice place to eat.

All in all a good day.

http://www.franklloydwrightatfsc.com/

Well, since some nut job attacked the Asian massage parlor, it seems the new crusade is to combat Asian-American hate. I didn't realize that I hated Asian-Americans, but the media says I do, so I guess I need to rethink my position. I suppose that after the attack on the grocery store in Boulder, yesterday, I will have to watch my step in Kroger, since I must have a latent tendency to wish harm on the produce workers, or those in the meat department, there. The government has said this was a random act, and it was not a hate crime, so why does the media have to blow everything out of proportion, and try to start a social issue that probably doesn't exist? I'm sick of the senseless violence, but I am just as sick of the media.

Well we have a nice morning in store and I think I will take a day trip. Just heard on the radio since Inauguration Day gas prices have increased 76 cents a gallon down here. Thanks Joe, keep it going, I think you can make it to $5.00 a gallon by the end of the year. Yay!!!

My wife loves Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and Lakeland, FL has a very nice museum of this work. We will meet her cousin and husband who are coming up from Sebring. There is a very nice restaurant in Lakeland called Harry's that should be a nice place to eat.

All in all a good day.

http://www.franklloydwrightatfsc.com/

We are taking the entire family to WDW in late June. I told my wife that gas would be $3.50 by then. Our price for regular unleaded was $1.59 on election day. Yesterday, the price was $2.69. Someone on facebook said that instead of making fun of Joe tripping, we should pray for him, since he is still our President. I said that I was praying that his policies wouldn't raise gas over $5 a gallon.

Didn't he raise miniature horses.? Something like this.

5f498350dbbf8.image.jpg

I never talked to him about it, but I believe that I read somewhere that he did. I have a lot of Breeder's Cup things that were personalized, several horse racing books that were given to them, by friends, that were signed, a nice clock, and a few other racing things. He loved horses and racing.

We are taking the entire family to WDW in late June. I told my wife that gas would be $3.50 by then. Our price for regular unleaded was $1.59 on election day. Yesterday, the price was $2.69. Someone on facebook said that instead of making fun of Joe tripping, we should pray for him, since he is still our President. I said that I was praying that his policies wouldn't raise gas over $5 a gallon.
I am just praying gas will only be $5.00 by the summer. These liberal nuts want to make it as high as the Europeans and Japanese pay. Meanwhile we have so much oil reserves we couldn't use it all if we tried.

But I prefer nuclear power and that is a pipe dream now. If they don't like petroleum you know they hate nuclear.

I am just praying gas will only be $5.00 by the summer. These liberal nuts want to make it as high as the Europeans and Japanese pay. Meanwhile we have so much oil reserves we couldn't use it all if we tried.

But I prefer nuclear power and that is a pipe dream now. If they don't like petroleum you know they hate nuclear.

And pretty soon, you will not be able to travel as you once did. Within the next 5-7 years, assuming the Democrats stay in power, and the way they are buying votes, it is a pretty good assumption, 90% of cars will be electric. You will only be able to travel about 2-3 hours away from home and then you will have to plug into a charging station before going further. To visit California, from Kentucky, and return, it will take you three weeks, and that is just travel time, alone.

Sawnee, while her disgraceful traitor antics in North Vietnam will always be the main reason to loathe Jane Fonda, her role in that ludicrously exaggerated movie China Syndrome, that helped kill the chance America would have a robust nuclear power industry, is probably in second place. Liberals kill nuclear power - and now admit it would be the cleanest realistic source.

Anyway, good morning D-League. I'm cheered up by the 34-point blow out of the cheaters from Lawrence. It gives me optimism that Calipari will use this summer wisely, put a normal Kentucky team on the floor in November--post Covid -- and that Kansas will have to deal with the NCAA sanctions so that UK's all time wins lead grows back to a safe margin.

Never been to a cardiologist. The thing with the Army hospital here is that they will not refer you unless you come in complaining about chest pains. I have never had a stress test or anything of the sort. I requested a test a year or so back and they said they could not unless I had problems. Whatever happened to getting check ups and preventative measures? I would like to know where my health is in regards to my heart.

Yeah, I had the nuclear stress test a year and a little more ago. Have the artery disease but it is moderate to minimum. The doctor tells me to let him know if I have pain in my chest. The last year or so I have had off and on pain but I am not sure if it the upper body workouts I do or carrying around my 30 pound grandson or my 20 pound grand daughter. I do that regularly but with them playing around I hope the doctor can tell the difference. I'd like to be sure.

I go to the VA for regular treatments and some annual stuff but if anything abnormal at all, I use my health insurance for an outside doctor. The VA uses my health insurance too. I have concern the VA is not about anyone's longevity....

Good morning! Good news this morning about Kansas. Fully intended to watch that game but my wife had some things set to tape and I told her to just leave them be and if I was still awake I'd watch the second half. 34 points is going to sting for a while.

Yet another mass shooting, this one in Boulder. Dude used an AR 15 type of rifle. They're going to come hard after them now.

Have a great day! Tee time at 1109.

Think I mentioned this before. Used to talk to Cawood quite often while at school. Had no idea till years later that we were related. Talked to him once or twice after. I pulled out a family genealogy a while back and as best I can figure (I'm terrible at this...calculus is easier) we were like 2nd or 3rd cousins once removed. Maybe.

His love of horses/racing may be family related as well in that it ran in the family roots.

Yeah, I had the nuclear stress test a year and a little more ago. Have the artery disease but it is moderate to minimum. The doctor tells me to let him know if I have pain in my chest. The last year or so I have had off and on pain but I am not sure if it the upper body workouts I do or carrying around my 30 pound grandson or my 20 pound grand daughter. I do that regularly but with them playing around I hope the doctor can tell the difference. I'd like to be sure.

I go to the VA for regular treatments and some annual stuff but if anything abnormal at all, I use my health insurance for an outside doctor. The VA uses my health insurance too. I have concern the VA is not about anyone's longevity....

I had the same test, along with an echogram. I had one artery that had very slight buildup, but I did have some calcium buildup on my aortic valve. He said it was functioning fine, and, at 69, unless it got worse, not to worry about it. Who knows? Something is going to take me out, eventually.

That reminds me of the old joke about three guys who were talking about a buddy they had just lost. One said, "At least he went quick. How do you want to go?" One of the other guys said, "I want to go in my sleep." The second guy said, "I want to just fall over dead, from a heart attack." The first guy, who asked the original question, thought about it for a minute and said, "I want to die at 110, at the hands of a jealous husband."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT