ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Shame they moved armor out of Knox. I remember as a kid, we lived in Shively, on the Knox side of Louisville, and it would be a beautiful summer day, but you would hear what sounded like thunder in the distance. Then you would realize that the armor was practicing. Really hurt business in that area when they moved all the personnel out.
The tank range firing was a form of entertainment to my wife and I. We especially liked it at night. We would go pick up a sack of hamburgers and take them out to the range in our little VW, park and enjoy the fireworks. Their nothing quite like firing the main gun and the .50 caliber machine gun.

During day firing the tanks would line up and if someone spotted a deer they would fire it that direction and when the deer ran another tank would fire in front of the deer and soon they had him running back and forth between the fire. I wonder if today's Army would allow that. PETA would probably lay down on the range to stop it. But that was 1966 and 67. Different army today

check for plaque.
m002293576_sc7

Bourbon Connoisseur of the Year!

Good morning D-League, trust all are well.
  • We are at 70 degrees with a high of 77 expected. Should cool down this afternoon into the low 60's.
  • Chance of rain and maybe a cold snap on the way.
  • Congrats to railroad Kat and retirement. That is a day I can remember. 10 years have gone by and it has been a wonderful 10 years. Keep active and enjoy.
  • We are thankful for your good medical report Bert, thanks for sharing
  • I will do some running around today and get ready for our basketball teams's trip to Alabama. We have business to take care of and keep this ball rolling
  • I am still celebrating our New Years Day football victory against Penn State. One to remember for the rest of my life and I am thankful I was there with family. A great day
  • Take care and be safe, will check in later.

Morning D league folks.
Envy the retired ones...
At least it's Friday.
I'll root for Bama on Monday night...but Saturday, not so much. UK
No interesting story here...just workin.

Don't envy us too much. There are lots of days I think I am going stir crazy. It's not so bad in the summer since you have yard work, car washing, little league games, golf, etc but the winter is about to get the best of me. I retired Dec 1 of 2017 and as soon as we got through Christmas we went to Hawaii and didn't return until Feb 23 so I didn't have this problem. We were gone most of the winter and then the SEC and NCAA tournaments kept my attention. This year, I am about to lose it. I may volunteer some or maybe take a part-time job to take up some time. I consult some, but that just doesn't keep me busy enough. I guess I'm just not wired to sit around and eat all day while watching Andy Griffith and Dr. Phil. Went to Florida for 10 days in early December. May go back for a month or so, if the weather gets bad, but really can't justify it to the wife when temps are in the 40's to low 50's. She just won't leave the grandkids without Ky feeling like the tundra.

Last edited:
Thanks Ben I try to never rub it in on anyone that's still working because I remember people telling me Boy I am glad I don't have to work anymore!!! Most of the time I just tell them I hope you get to retire because your going to like it!

Well, if you're wired for it. By my earlier post, above, you can see that I am having my issues. Tough for me to sit around. I enjoy it, but...…………….

Good morning!

before I go any further I would like to point out that RRK's wife retired 3 days ago.

Waiting on a phone call to go pick Dad up from the VA. He's having dialysis there today and there's no telling when they'll release him.

Bring on Bama!

No spaghetti for me today, diet is back in full swing.

Hey Bert, how did your sausage turn out that you guys made? I ate the first of the last batch I made yesterday and it was pretty good.

Read yesterday that people with blue eyes are less likely to suffer from seasonal affective disorder. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

The tank range firing was a form of entertainment to my wife and I. We especially liked it at night. We would go pick up a sack of hamburgers and take them out to the range in our little VW, park and enjoy the fireworks. Their nothing quite like firing the main gun and the .50 caliber machine gun.

During day firing the tanks would line up and if someone spotted a deer they would fire it that direction and when the deer ran another tank would fire in front of the deer and soon they had him running back and forth between the fire. I wonder if today's Army would allow that. PETA would probably lay down on the range to stop it. But that was 1966 and 67. Different army today
In Germany, at Grafenwöhr MTA (Major Training Area) ranges, immediate cease fires were called when any animal strayed downrange. Definitely not the case stateside in CONUS.

Good morning D-League, trust all are well.
  • We are at 70 degrees with a high of 77 expected. Should cool down this afternoon into the low 60's.
  • Chance of rain and maybe a cold snap on the way.
  • Congrats to railroad Kat and retirement. That is a day I can remember. 10 years have gone by and it has been a wonderful 10 years. Keep active and enjoy.
  • We are thankful for your good medical report Bert, thanks for sharing
  • I will do some running around today and get ready for our basketball teams's trip to Alabama. We have business to take care of and keep this ball rolling
  • I am still celebrating our New Years Day football victory against Penn State. One to remember for the rest of my life and I am thankful I was there with family. A great day
  • Take care and be safe, will check in later.

Thanks for thinking of me Sawnee Cat but Like Bert I retired early. The retirement I was talking about was my wife's Wanda. I always had to yield to here in net income but my benefits were just fantastic. We are both 65 and making plans

Hope it was a sack of White Castle's. I remember Cactus Tom Brooks telling us to "Buy em by the sack" which was printed on the sack. I still like them but I can't eat as many as I used to. I remember when they were 2 for a quarter. Some of you who are older may remember them cheaper than that. The original slider.

I think I told you, earlier, my Dad's family is from Central City. My grandparents are buried in Rose Hill Burial Park. And, I'm not for sure, but I believe my Great Uncle was Mayor, back in the late fifties. We were just there this past Memorial Day.
Can you give a name to those buried there? If you don't I understand!!! I don't like giving names out also!

Thanks for thinking of me Sawnee Cat but Like Bert I retired early. The retirement I was talking about was my wife's Wanda. I always had to yield to here in net income but my benefits were just fantastic. We are both 65 and making plans
Congrats to Wanda. It is probably better being retired when both are. Have fun. When I retired I was a million mile flier with Delta and U.S. Air so we did a lot of traveling. Istanbul, Greece, Germany, Israel, Petra, Jordan, Alaska, Panama Canal cruise and all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Planning a trip to Scotland, Ireland, Normandy and other European countries as I still have a bunch of miles left to use up.

I think I told you, earlier, my Dad's family is from Central City. My grandparents are buried in Rose Hill Burial Park. And, I'm not for sure, but I believe my Great Uncle was Mayor, back in the late fifties. We were just there this past Memorial Day.

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Rose Hill. It's a small world, after all.

Hope it was a sack of White Castle's. I remember Cactus Tom Brooks telling us to "Buy em by the sack" which was printed on the sack. I still like them but I can't eat as many as I used to. I remember when they were 2 for a quarter. Some of you who are older may remember them cheaper than that. The original slider.

19 cents is the cheapest I can remember, but I was born in 1960.

Can you give a name to those buried there? If you don't I understand!!! I don't like giving names out also!

Everyone with the last name of "Millard" is related to me. My Grandfather was named Belva. His parents are buried in Cherry Hill, next to the church. I also have some relatives, by marriage, named "Skipworth" buried in Rose Hill.

Congrats to Wanda. It is probably better being retired when both are. Have fun. When I retired I was a million mile flier with Delta and U.S. Air so we did a lot of traveling. Istanbul, Greece, Germany, Israel, Petra, Jordan, Alaska, Panama Canal cruise and all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Planning a trip to Scotland, Ireland, Normandy and other European countries as I still have a bunch of miles left to use up.

We are going to visit the UK in summer of 20, Lord willing. Looking forward to it. Been to Hawaii, 4 or 5 times, to Canada and all over the US, but have not been to Europe.

You missed your chance at going to Europe. It's the Middle East now. Given away gleefully with blissful ignorance.
Depends on where ya go. Most industrialized countries, yes, but even Germany still offers a select few places which have fortunately not yet been overrun.

Hungary almost totally keeps their asses out.

We are going to visit the UK in summer of 20, Lord willing. Looking forward to it. Been to Hawaii, 4 or 5 times, to Canada and all over the US, but have not been to Europe.
My son is a German national. I visited frequently 2010-2013. Got in trouble because of some extra-curricular activities. Returning in 2021 for at least 90 days. Definitely paying another visit to the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/business/kentucky-owl-bourbon-tourism-napa.html

I suppose this is in the category of the blind hog finding the acorn, but an interesting story in today's New York Times on bourbon tourism in Kentucky. It brought up the conversation at lunch with some of my Northeastern friends about best bourbons in the $30-$50 range. I named some that I have enjoyed. But I'm no expert. Anybody tried something special lately?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT