ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

csxt-2804-05-25-04.jpg

Last edited:
Want to retire badly, know quite a few that I was in the military with who have and they are loving it. Earliest for me is 5 more years, latest is 9 more years.
I'm targeting June, 2021. I'll be 59 1/2. Latest for me is November, 2026. If I stay until then, my retirement pay increases only $400 more per month. No, thanks.

Don't forget it's spaghetti day.

No carbs for me today. A steak would do fine though.

Ya see, Rooster. The last 3 locomotives have been 2802, 2803, and 2804. There has to be some rationale behind the numbering of them. Anyone on here know the answer?

Everyone here knows the answer. Except one.

Ya see, Rooster. The last 3 locomotives have been 2802, 2803, and 2804. There has to be some rationale behind the numbering of them. Anyone on here know the answer?
It's a D-League tradition Locomotive # = the Page #. And good eye for you. Should have let you get it on your own, but I didn't want to be mean.

Last edited:
Just received another call. They won't let me come and get him and are saying he has to go back to the nursing home in an ambulance. I've picked him up before when he was discharged and there have been times he's had to take the ambulance. Must be a difference in the people who are working at the time. Oh well, this is not a fight worth fighting so I'll let it go.

• Checking in .......... Good Afternoon to all of you.
  • Started my day off by backing into my NDN's brick mail box and knocking it down and ******* up my bumper cover at least. I just wasn't being careful. Damn it!!!
  • The Electric Horseman is a very good little movie. It will surprise you if you have never paid any attention to it.
  • Be safe.
  • Take care.
  • Carry on.

My wife is an RN in a hospital in Bethesda, Md. In the past few days one relatively young staffer died suddenly after having flu-like symptoms. Then, this morning, a woman she works with closely was found in bed unresponsive -- the diagnosis is spinal meningitis. It isn't clear if she's going to make it. The doctors have assured everyone -- and my wife agrees -- that it is just a bizarre coincidence involving very rare maladies. But naturally the whole thing has made me very nervous for her. Who knows what people carry into hospitals these days?

My wife is an RN in a hospital in Bethesda, Md. In the past few days one relatively young staffer died suddenly after having flu-like symptoms. Then, this morning, a woman she works with closely was found in bed unresponsive -- the diagnosis is spinal meningitis. It isn't clear if she's going to make it. The doctors have assured everyone -- and my wife agrees -- that it is just a bizarre coincidence involving very rare maladies. But naturally the whole thing has made me very nervous for her. Who knows what people carry into hospitals these days?
Keep us informed. I would worry also. Prayers for your RN wife.:pray:

Ok here goes, may take me couple hours to type but I'll try! Lets say they built a SD40 GE locomotive were given numbers then when they upgraded those to lets say 20 SD40-3 they were given the #s4000 thru 404009. Next year they build 20 4010-4029. So then they changed the program GP38-3 (2,000hp) #s 2000 and GP40-3 (3000hp) #s6500. So in short it looks like every time they upgraded the engines they gave them a special number so that is an ID number plus a way for locomotive junkies to ID what type and how powerful the engines are!!!! Or you can type in What does the 4 digit number on a CSX locomotive engine stand for, scroll down till you find WVnews>csx-rebuild-program and read the whole story! Crap I am worn out!!! Haven't used my brain that hard in a long time!!!!!!

cordmaker , the front of a diesel electric locomotives has a low end to it .actually have 4 windows across for a better visual sight. The cab will actually have 3 seats, one for the engineer. one for the brakeman, the other the conductor. The conductor actually has control of the train start to finish. Both front and back Have contained dry sand drums to help on traction.The back ends are high and can climbed like a ladder.

I was a 4th generation railroader and worked in a outstanding industry. The job I cherished was a locomotive inspector. If I missed something and it broke down some where I could be fired. So I would stay on top of the Federal guidelines.................Hope this helps.

cordmaker , the front of a diesel electric locomotives has a low end to it .actually have 4 windows across for a better visual sight. The cab will actually have 3 seats, one for the engineer. one for the brakeman, the other the conductor. The conductor actually has control of the job start to finish. Both front and back Have contained dry sand drums to help on traction.The back ends are high and can climbed like a ladder.

I was a 4th generation railroader and worked in a outstanding industry. The job I cherished was a locomotive inspector. If I missed something and it broke down some where I could be fired. So I would stay on top of the Federal guidelines.................Hope this helps.
Nope! I got this from a retired engineer! he told me to put this on here! I tell the answer later! LOL I really like your answer!!

cordmaker , the front of a diesel electric locomotives has a low end to it .actually have 4 windows across for a better visual sight. The cab will actually have 3 seats, one for the engineer. one for the brakeman, the other the conductor. The conductor actually has control of the train start to finish. Both front and back Have contained dry sand drums to help on traction.The back ends are high and can climbed like a ladder.

RRK_1 I had a friend that worked on the track crew he told me that if they ever heard train coming and there was a whistling sound they got away from the tracks because that meant that there was some metal banding loose and hanging away from the cars!!!!

Just received another call. They won't let me come and get him and are saying he has to go back to the nursing home in an ambulance. I've picked him up before when he was discharged and there have been times he's had to take the ambulance. Must be a difference in the people who are working at the time. Oh well, this is not a fight worth fighting so I'll let it go.
Praying for your dad and your family! I picked up my mother-in-law a few times after her treatment! I kinda know what you are dealing with!

Ok here goes, may take me couple hours to type but I'll try! Lets say they built a SD40 GE locomotive were given numbers then when they upgraded those to lets say 20 SD40-3 they were given the #s4000 thru 404009. Next year they build 20 4010-4029. So then they changed the program GP38-3 (2,000hp) #s 2000 and GP40-3 (3000hp) #s6500. So in short it looks like every time they upgraded the engines they gave them a special number so that is an ID number plus a way for locomotive junkies to ID what type and how powerful the engines are!!!! Or you can type in What does the 4 digit number on a CSX locomotive engine stand for, scroll down till you find WVnews>csx-rebuild-program and read the whole story! Crap I am worn out!!! Haven't used my brain that hard in a long time!!!!!!

Let me give you an opinion on your post. The major carriers in the USA buy from 2 manufactures, General Electric all 4 cycle engines and you forgot to mention SD stands for special Duty. Also means main alternators supplying power to 6 traction motors. The other manufacture is General motors Electro-Motive-Division all 2 stroke engines. The last ones I saw. SD40 -2 and GP 38-2 were on the UPRR EMD's, Also GP stands for General Duty_4 traction motors is all this loco will handle.

Let me give you an opinion on your post. The major carriers in the USA buy from 2 manufactures, General Electric all 4 cycle engines and you forgot to mention SD stands for special Duty. Also means main alternators supplying power to 6 traction motors. The other manufacture is General motors Electro-Motive-Division all 2 stroke engines. The last ones I saw. SD40 -2 and GP 38-2 were on the UPRR EMD's, Also GP stands for General Duty_4 traction motors is all this loco will handle.
There was to much reading in the article, all that was in there but I would still be typing tomorrow if I tried to do all that!!!!! thanks for the extra info!!!

No carbs for me today. A steak would do fine though.

Everyone here knows the answer. Except one.

Well, I admit, it must be me. Care to fill me in, or would you have to kill me if the secret got out? :smiley: I read somewhere that they were purchased in lots, but that each railroad had their own system for numbering them. I mean I guess that explains why three would be numbered sequentially, but how did they decide on the first numbers to begin?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT