ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

@ymmot31

Next time you do that...travel a bit further to Shelby County and eat at Brenda's in Simpsonville. Good old fashioned country cooking with charm. There is no menu. You eat whatever Brenda decides to cook that day. If you don't like that fact...she will cuss you out and tell you to leave. Truth. She just as soon cuss you out as to tell you "hello". Oh yeah, there's also a bullet hole in the front door. That's the charming part.

But you will love the food. I recommend going there for breakfast but lunch is good too. If you go for breakfast get there early because it will be packed with everyone from million dollar saddlebred horse farm owners to construction workers. And Brenda is great once you concede that she calls the shots in her joint. She tells it like it is and doesn't mind stepping on toes...including her nephew who is the Mayor. She has kicked him out on more than one occasion just because she didn't like something the local government was doing.

Omaha%20Railfanning%20008.jpg

Are you from around here Mr. Bert?
I was born in Rhoda, KY; raised in Park City, KY; after college Louisville, KY then Jacksonville, FL; Evansville, IN (District Sales Manager for CSX - that is when I was Mr. Peabody's coal train); Houston, TX; Baltimore, MD; Jacksonville, FL (again) and then I retired to Smiths Grove, KY.

I was born in Rhoda, KY; raised in Park City, KY; after college Louisville, KY then Jacksonville, FL; Evansville, IN (District Sales Manager for CSX - that is when I was Mr. Peabody's coal train); Houston, TX; Baltimore, MD; Jacksonville, FL (again) and then I retired to Smiths Grove, KY.

As another man who has traveled a bit after being raised in Kentucky, I'll dedicate this song to you, Bert.

Last edited:
@ymmot31

Next time you do that...travel a bit further to Shelby County and eat at Brenda's in Simpsonville. Good old fashioned country cooking with charm. There is no menu. You eat whatever Brenda decides to cook that day. If you don't like that fact...she will cuss you out and tell you to leave. Truth. She just as soon cuss you out as to tell you "hello". Oh yeah, there's also a bullet hole in the front door. That's the charming part.

But you will love the food. I recommend going there for breakfast but lunch is good too. If you go for breakfast get there early because it will be packed with everyone from million dollar saddlebred horse farm owners to construction workers. And Brenda is great once you concede that she calls the shots in her joint. She tells it like it is and doesn't mind stepping on toes...including her nephew who is the Mayor. She has kicked him out on more than one occasion just because she didn't like something the local government was doing.

She sounds like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

Hey Bert. Did you ever know Rick Martin? He retired from Chessie. He lived in Baltimore, Cumberland, ran the wheel shop at Raceland, and then retired from Jacksonville. He now lives in St Augustine.

Hey Bert. Did you ever know Rick Martin? He retired from Chessie. He lived in Baltimore, Cumberland, ran the wheel shop at Raceland, and then retired from Jacksonville. He now lives in St Augustine.
No direct memory of him. I was in Sales and Marketing.

In 1986 we had 84,000 employees. When I retired it was something like 30,000. So there were a bunch of folks that I did not know.

Some how in all the shuffle, I ended up being a B&O employee for issuance of a company car. So I got to wreck a B&O company car. Don't ever do that. If you think the U.S. government can cover you up in paper; wreck a railroad car.

The redhead is workin tonight & #3 is working til 7.
I'm in charge of dinner. She left out some (Johnsonville) sausage to cook.
I cut up taters, green & yellow peppers, onion and some grape tomatoes, mixed in some salt pepper garlic Italian seasoning and some creole seasoning. Not sure what it's gonna taste like, but that (as Don puts it) sumbritch smells good!
I look at a recipe and then pretty much do what I ever I think looks good. Some times it works out...some times not so much.

In 1986 we had 84,000 employees. When I retired it was something like 30,000.
Wow...you must've been really hard to work with if you made 54,000 people quit! :)

No direct memory of him. I was in Sales and Marketing.

In 1986 we had 84,000 employees. When I retired it was something like 30,000. So there were a bunch of folks that I did not know.

Some how in all the shuffle, I ended up being a B&O employee for issuance of a company car. So I got to wreck a B&O company car. Don't ever do that. If you think the U.S. government can cover you up in paper; wreck a railroad car.
I like the Johnsonville sausages. We've got them at all times in the fridge or freezer.

That is what I used in my Jambalaya on Christmas Eve. Can't go wrong with it.

Bert, that’s why I didn’t take a company job when offered. Didn’t want to do all that moving. My Road Foreman worked there 40 years and moved 17 times. Not this guy with five kids! Lmao

Good morning D. Friday already. A three day work week - I feel like a Frenchman.

Big weekend ahead for the Cats. I was actually more confident against the Tarheels because Roy's style of play fits the Cats perfectly. That Virginia-style defense Louisville now plays forces you to hit some outside shots. If the Cats get Herro going and, or Johnson and Baker shoot well it could be a comfortable win. Otherwise, it'll be a real grinder.

Good morning everyone, 71 this morning, heading to a high of 84. Our cold snap is over in SWFL. I survived the winter of 2018, Lol.

One more day and we beat the crap out of the Dirty Birds. Kind of bitter sweet for me. Chris Mack, the new Louisville coach was my neighbor for years, you would be hard pressed to find a kinder, more decent man. Just a great guy.

Going to walk the nature slough this morning, my sister in law wants to see some Gators. Y'all have a good day, I will check in later

I am so ashamed. Neither I nor any family members ever worked for the railroad.:flush:
Never worked for any rail companies either but, while working with Unit Movements here at Sill for 7 years I did work with the rail crew here on a weekly basis loading and unloading, coupling and uncoupling of cars. Moving the loaded cars to a location to be picked up by rail lines so, I have a little experience with them.

@ymmot31

I wish we had more Brenda's in the world. It would make life a lot simpler. I would like to eat there someday. I have found off the beaten path places are the best, especially the ones without a dress code.

Good morning D-League going to be cool day here in Muhlenberg Co. temps going down all day. I didn't get to go trout fishing like I wanted to still worried about falling on the slippery mud with the new hip, my buddy went got his limit of 8. Still walking doing exercises and getting stronger. The trout and lost treasures better look out when I'm back in shape!

I didn't know that. I have one left from the Holidays and should have opened it up yesterday. I will eat it by the 1st. My aunt use to make a ton of them for our very large family and send them out where ever we may be. I think she started baking them in July. I miss her and now get my fruitcakes through Claxton out of Georgia. Fruit cake is near as popular since the A&P went out of business around here. Maybe Jane Parker died too.

Good morning D-Leaguers

Current temperature is 71° F and we will climb to 79 F by 2:00 and may get up to 80. I am hoping so. Woke up to a brilliant red sky in the East. 20% chance of rain.

No much on tap today. I am dropping by the muffler shop to replace the chrome tips on my truck exhausts. These Flomasters have last for 18 years. Looking for family to fly in tomorrow to get ready for the Big Game New Year's day. We are going to squeeze in a trip through the swamps on an airboat looking for gators, then the edge of the Gulf to check out the manatees. It is hard to find that in Ohio and Captain Tim is good at his job so we should have some fun.

I am listening to the radio and the Sheriff is on talking about shooting guns on New Year's Eve/ He is warning against that because over the years people have complained about bullets in their roofs. He said better buy firecrackers. I love this place. Lord have mercy I love this place.

Good morning D. Friday already. A three day work week - I feel like a Frenchman.

Big weekend ahead for the Cats. I was actually more confident against the Tarheels because Roy's style of play fits the Cats perfectly. That Virginia-style defense Louisville now plays forces you to hit some outside shots. If the Cats get Herro going and, or Johnson and Baker shoot well it could be a comfortable win. Otherwise, it'll be a real grinder.

I think that as long as we protect the ball and don't give them a lot of easy transition baskets we win by 8-10 pts. Other than the one kid, they really don't have consistent scorers and Travis or PJ should have a big game inside. Our bigs should have an advantage.

Good morning D-Leaguers

Current temperature is 71° F and we will climb to 79 F by 2:00 and may get up to 80. I am hoping so. Woke up to a brilliant red sky in the East. 20% chance of rain.

No much on tap today. I am dropping by the muffler shop to replace the chrome tips on my truck exhausts. These Flomasters have last for 18 years. Looking for family to fly in tomorrow to get ready for the Big Game New Year's day. We are going to squeeze in a trip through the swamps on an airboat looking for gators, then the edge of the Gulf to check out the manatees. It is hard to find that in Ohio and Captain Tim is good at his job so we should have some fun.

I am listening to the radio and the Sheriff is on talking about shooting guns on New Year's Eve/ He is warning against that because over the years people have complained about bullets in their roofs. He said better buy firecrackers. I love this place. Lord have mercy I love this place.

Did your fruit trees survive the cold snap? I know you were concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT