ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

bnsf_2778_web.jpg

Enjoy seeing your Railroad pictures! My DAD was an engineer for the ICRR and CXS before passing. He started out on the old steam engines before the change over to diesel. Brings back some great memories with him.

Hey to cordmaker and another poster, uh, I think Ben. Our way is easy and our burden is light. Don't know if there has been an official welcome or not. If not then here it is and if so, please ignore. FCC.

Thanks FCC for the welcome! Just don't post much, I am getting back to full strength after hip surgery so I can get back to metal detecting and fishing. Spent 35 years installing carpet and 10 1/2 years working in an explosive factory decided to call it quits!
Hey to cordmaker and another poster, uh, I think Ben. Our way is easy and our burden is light. Don't know if there has been an official welcome or not. If not then here it is and if so, please ignore. FCC.

Morning D
Christmas was both harder yet far better than we expected. Good memories shared and new ones created.
There was an emptiness but we did our best to fill it with as much laughter and love as we could. It was a good day
So now we move in to the next phase. Up first: big game Saturday. I have a theory about this team that I’ll share if it pans out as I believe it will against Louisville
Hope all are well and happy

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites, Wildcats & Lurkers. Any lurkers that want to join in ........ just do it.
  • 54º in Johns Creek. Rain tomorrow maybe.
  • I received some Sony wireless headphones too. Very nice. Hard of hearing too. Enjoying hearing what is said in the movies.
  • Christmastime was fun seeing all of the children and the grandchildren. No great grandchildren yet. We have one great granddog.
  • I was a railroad man for 2 1/2 years. My dad was a lifer for the ICRR. I worked on the Barkley Lake relocation project (like in Deliverance.)
  • Gotta get up from here and go and work some.
  • Take it safe and easy.
  • As you were. Carry on.

Last edited:
  • Good Morning, D-Leagueanites, Wildcats & Lurkers. Any lurkers that want to join in ........ just do it.
  • 54º in Johns Creek. Rain tomorrow maybe.
  • I received some Sony wireless headphones too. Very nice. Hard of hearing too. Enjoying hearing what is said in the movies.
  • Christmastime was fun seeing all of the children and the grandchildren. No great grandchildren yet. We have one great granddog.
  • I was a railroad man for 21/2 years. My dad was a lifer for the ICRR. I worked on the Barkley Lake relocation project (like in Deliverance.)
  • Gotta get up from here and go and work some.
  • Take it safe and easy.
  • As you were. Carry on.
Where did you and your dad work out of Paducah?

Well, I live about 10 miles west of Paducah in South Future City. Of Course you didn't ask me. Are you familiar with Paducah? FCC.
Yes have family in Paducah. I also worked on I-24. I help build the bridge there at the oaks mall? Not sure of the name because it wasn't there when we finished! Wasn't hardly any thing on that stretch of road at that time!! 1970 was the year. Sorry FCC did not know there was a SFC, I knew about Reidland and a few of the other small towns

Last edited:
Good afternoon the day after Christmas. I trust all had peace and harmony and joy.

Looking at a perfect weather day. Temp is 78° F. Very few clouds and lots of sunshine. I hope we can be blessed with weather like this on the 1st for our Bowl Game. Beat Penn State

Thanks all for the photos you shared. I know everyone enjoyed them.

Time for a refill on my glass of sweet tea and I trust y'all have a great rest of the day. D-League. Beat UL and Penn State and keep on rolling Cats. I am going to take the kayak out for a spin.

enhance

Welcome Cordmaker. I am retired from CSX. There are several old RR dogs here.
Thank you Mr.Bert! My dad retired from CXS too,sadly never got to enjoy it . Retired in early 90's retired in Sept found cancer in Oct. that year and we lost him in Nov. the next. I have a son that has been with CXS for almost 20 years now. I miss him every day.

Dad ran a transit and a level. (Civil Engineer) I cut lines and carried stakes and hubs, ran compaction tests on the fills (dirt and crushed stone.) We built 12 miles of track (ribbon rail) and some highways. I don't remember the numbers except for 641. It was a fun job for a kid like me.

When it was raining we plotted our notes on the cuts and fills so that the general contractor could get paid for the dirt that he had cut and hauled.

Last edited:
Dad got himself fired from the Kentucky Division. He was forever threatening to whip somebody's ass. I tried to tell him several times not to do that, but when he had had too much to drink that was always the result. Anyway he talked to one of his buddies that had advanced to a position of power in Jackson, Mississippi, and was hired there. When he took his physical he flunked that because of an old injury that he sustained while on the job with the ICRR. They awarded him with full retirement because of it, so that worked out pretty good for him. I have missed him terribly since his death in 1994. He was my buddy. He was 73 when he died. He was a railroad man.

Good afternoon the day after Christmas. I trust all had peace and harmony and joy.

Looking at a perfect weather day. Temp is 78° F. Very few clouds and lots of sunshine. I hope we can be blessed with weather like this on the 1st for our Bowl Game. Beat Penn State

Thanks all for the photos you shared. I know everyone enjoyed them.

Time for a refill on my glass of sweet tea and I trust y'all have a great rest of the day. D-League. Beat UL and Penn State and keep on rolling Cats. I am going to take the kayak out for a spin.

enhance
Beautiful lake Sawnee. I bet there is a good strain of Bass in there

This may be the first year since I was an itty bitty boy that I won't be welcoming in the New Year. Snow bird folks have an early flight to Florida. I'll be getting up around 3 AM, maybe 3:15. Just in time to be on the road with all the drunks when the bars close at 4. Not complaining. It's a small sacrifice that I'm glad to accept. The midnight "ball fall" never changes anyway.

There are some nice size ones. The lake is spring fed by the Weeki Wachee aquifer. Lots and lots of wildlife hang around it.
Lots of gators? We got one in our pond about a 5 footer. He’s scared to death of people though. Can’t even hardly get a good picture of him. Soon as he sees you he goes in the water

Lots of gators? We got one in our pond about a 5 footer. He’s scared to death of people though. Can’t even hardly get a good picture of him. Soon as he sees you he goes in the water
They do a great job of keeping it clear of gators so you will seldom see one. On the other side of the bridge is a line of trees that starts the Weeki Wachee Wildlife Preserve and it goes all the way to the Gulf. Swamps turn into marshes all the way to the beaches. What we have most are of course the pesky deer, some black bears, coyotes, wild hogs just to name a few. Plus every kind of duck and bird in this area flies in for a spell. A was sitting in my yard about a year ago and a bald eagle flew over my screened in pool and dove into the lake and pulled out what looked to be about a 7 pound bass. He dropped it in the lake and the bass did not survive. Buzzards arrived and ate on that sucker til it was nothing but bones. The picture below was taken in the Weeki Wachee Preserve and it is a rare sighting of a Florida Panther. Very rare and of course protected. But that ole pig isn't protected.

enhance

They do a great job of keeping it clear of gators so you will seldom see one. On the other side of the bridge is a line of trees that starts the Weeki Wachee Wildlife Preserve and it goes all the way to the Gulf. Swamps turn into marshes all the way to the beaches. What we have most are of course the pesky deer, some black bears, coyotes, wild hogs just to name a few. Plus every kind of duck and bird in this area flies in for a spell. A was sitting in my yard about a year ago and a bald eagle flew over my screened in pool and dove into the lake and pulled out what looked to be about a 7 pound bass. He dropped it in the lake and the bass did not survive. Buzzards arrived and ate on that sucker til it was nothing but bones. The picture below was taken in the Weeki Wachee Preserve and it is a rare sighting of a Florida Panther. Very rare and of course protected. But that ole pig isn't protected.

enhance
That’s a great picture. We have quite a few panthers around here. The local news showed a video recently where one come up in some people’s front yard and snatched their house cat. It was caught on video on their security system. To see them here you have to be out a lot at night, or just very lucky. A couple years ago one got hit on the main road right in front of FGCU

Dad killed one of those once in Northern Mississippi. He and his BIL were so excited. They took that sucker to the county seat to show everybody. The Sheriff took one look at it and announced that it was a protected species. Quick-thinking BIL told the Sheriff that it was chasing his calves and that saved them from prosecution. It was hilarious hearing Dad tell the story.

Evening D.
As soon as I got home from work I set up the redhead's (wife) hot tub that we got her for Christmas. It wasn't too much of a pain...currently heating up. Not sure how it's going to work when it gets real cold or how much 'lectricity it'll use. Guess I'll find out at some point.
Laying on the couch taking it easy now.

Welcome cordmaker...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 53°F. We received violent thunderstorms overnight and around an inch of rain. We're clearing now. Expecting a 68°F high today.

Another Christmas in the books. Hope y'all had a good one. 2019 is on the way.

Cats and Cards on Saturday. Be there.

I'll check back later. Y'all behave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT