ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Yep. Turn down the volume on the TV and turn up the volume for Cawood on the radio.

I do that with games now that don't have Tom Hart on the mic. Use IHeart for 630 WLAP and hit the pause on the tv until they match up. Nice to hear a pro UK call and not have to listen about all the stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

I bought it from a guy in Ohio so the radio may be tainted with ghosts of Ohio St. games of the past.

No. NO! That radio was used for UK games and WHAS in the morning for news and weather. Also the daily price of pigs and cows on the hoof and the occasional gardening tip.

I'm pretty sure about this. Take my word for it and enjoy.

I do that with games now that don't have Tom Hart on the mic. Use IHeart for 630 WLAP and hit the pause on the tv until they match up. Nice to hear a pro UK call and not have to listen about all the stuff that has nothing to do with the game.
Yeah you've mentioned this before. I need to give it a try because I'm a bit fed up with the TV guys. ESPN guys are the worst.

9143.1056425820.jpg

To listen to a UK game in my house you were ABSOLUTELY not allowed to utter a word while Cawood was announcing. My dad wanted to hear the game and the game only. My brother and I would sit there in the kitchen with dad while mom and my sisters were in the living room watching our Black and White TV. If someone dared tried to talk while Cawood was talking, there would be hell to pay

I received a depressing Christmas card from one of my oldest friends that I haven't talked to in a few years (my fault). His brother passed away a few days before he turned 65, his sister suffered from a stroke and he's divorcing his wife of 28 years. I'll give him a call and get together with him soon. I really have to count my blessings this time of year because times are good for me. So many others are struggling.

To listen to a UK game in my house you were ABSOLUTELY not allowed to utter a word while Cawood was announcing. My dad wanted to hear the game and the game only. My brother and I would sit there in the kitchen with dad while mom and my sisters were in the living room watching our Black and White TV. If someone dared tried to talk while Cawood was talking, there would be hell to pay
You described my childhood and family to a "T" That is who we were. We pulled in WHAS out of Louisville. It would only come in at night and only during the fall to early spring. It would often fade in and out so dad thought by turning off all of the lights in the house the reception would be better. I remember many nights where mom would light a kerosene lamp and read in the bedroom during the games. We had a total blackout until the game was over. Saving that juice as daddy would say. More juice for the radio.

He bought a Hallicrafters short wave radio for the sole purpose of listening to UK football and basketball games. A big black one similar to the picture below. That is how this Florida boy became a UK fanatic and the reason I attended UK after high school. Dad's dream was to go to UK but being the son of a coal miner from Pike County he did not have a chance to do that He graduated from high school in 1934, right in the middle of the depression. So it was off to the coal mines for him after high school. He eventually graduated from college in the 1940's.
enhance

Last edited:
Good morning my D-League friends and lurkers

It is 43 degrees down here and we expect a high of 59 today. A little fog in the air right now but the sun will take care of that. I have all Christmas packages mailed and Christmas cards mailed. The post office is a nightmare with lines out in the street. The last time I saw lines like those was when I lived in Georgia and the illegal Mexicans would line up to send money back to Mexico. The line was very long on payday.

Trust all are well and in the Christmas spirit. It is the holly, jolly time of the year.

enhance

Last edited:
Good morning league. I hope the team plays well and beats UNC this weekend. Tough to handle a season that we may lose to Duke and UNC. Getting a win like that is what we all need. I’d like to see a happier crowd on rafters. Hope y’all have a good day. I’m off to the gym to lift some weights. Started working out again last week. Hadn’t lifted in about 15 years. LOL

Back in the "transistor radio days" I think I remember setting my TR on the fusebox and it would come in like a top. Did anyone else do this?
In Jacksonville, FL I got the best reception near the light switch in the foyer. I ended up putting up a little shelf there to hold the radio.

I also installed a 120 foot long antenna in line with the WHAS. It really made a difference.

In Jacksonville, FL I got the best reception near the light switch in the foyer. I ended up putting up a little shelf there to hold the radio.

I also installed a 120 foot long antenna in line with the WHAS. It really made a difference.
Did you have a problem with Fidel Castro drowning out your signal. I live on the West coast and that was a huge problem for us. When Fidel got mad he would crank his big antenna up and aim it for Florida and drown out WHAS. For some reason it always seemed to happen when UK played a ball game. Just a coincidence I am sure

Did you have a problem with Fidel Castro drowning out your signal. I live on the West coast and that was a huge problem for us. When Fidel got mad he would crank his big antenna up and aim it for Florida. For some reason it always seemed to happen when UK played a ball game. Just a coincidence I am sure
In my best Rowan & Martin voice "you bet your sweet bippy".

In the late '70's I could also pick up WCKY from Cincinnati and when WHAS would go out I had an old RadioShack radio with a rapid on-off switch and I would tap it until Castro faded out.

You described my childhood and family to a "T" That is who we were. We pulled in WHAS out of Louisville. It would only come in at night and only during the fall to early spring. It would often fade in and out so dad thought by turning off all of the lights in the house the reception would be better. I remember many nights where mom would light a kerosene lamp and read in the bedroom during the games. We had a total blackout until the game was over. Saving that juice as daddy would say. More juice for the radio.

He bought a Hallicrafters short wave radio for the sole purpose of listening to UK football and basketball games. A big black one similar to the picture below. That is how this Florida boy became a UK fanatic and the reason I attended UK after high school. Dad's dream was to go to UK but being the son of a coal miner from Pike County he did not have a chance to do that He graduated from high school in 1934, right in the middle of the depression. So it was off to the coal mines for him after high school. He eventually graduated from college in the 1940's.
enhance

Yep. Electricity was "juice." And you didn't "turn off" lights, you "cut off" lights.

My dad was a coal miner most of his life. Black lung took him out.

Did you have a problem with Fidel Castro drowning out your signal. I live on the West coast and that was a huge problem for us. When Fidel got mad he would crank his big antenna up and aim it for Florida and drown out WHAS. For some reason it always seemed to happen when UK played a ball game. Just a coincidence I am sure

It is a well known fact that all refs and talking heads hate UK. But ... Fidel Castro too?

• Good Morning, D-Leagueanites, Wildcats and Others.
  • Pretty Morning going here in Johns Creek. 55º. Clear.
  • Nothing going on for me.
  • An IDMO almost got me the other night. They can do some very stupid stuff. Ignored my blinker and came from a blind spot. Then horn-blowing contest. Sumbritch.
  • Be careful.
  • Carry on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT