ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from North Austin. Currently 58°F. Just checking in.

Y'all have a great day.

Morning from North Smiths Grove. It is 55 here this morning with bright sun shine.

Since Thursday afternoon my rain guage has 2 7/8 inches of rain it is. I think I saw Noah floating by yesterday afternoon, he may have been looking for two grackles.

• Good Mornings, D-Leagueans.
  • 64º in Johns Creek. Overcast. We had some light rain last night, but noot much. This deck is about dry.
  • Went straight to bed after loving on Lola. I was worn out. Slept well. Still feel tired.
  • This Dark Magic is helping me.
  • Wondering about those fledglings.
  • I-85 North opened last night. It cut my commute by about 15 minutes. That was nice.
  • Got a couple of chores to do.
  • Have to go in and do some work.
  • Be careful. Be safe.
  • Carry on.

Morning from AZ 70°F back to 95°F Same forecast as yesterday. Busy week is over. Whew.

Holy cow. That was better than bird watching.
Watched 2nd half. John Wall was fabulous. He flies around. A favorite for sure.

default-1464388234-236-here-s-what-you-should-do-if-you-find-a-baby-bird-out-of-its-nest.jpg

Baby bird rescue. A pointer, if you can see the adults, they see you and are watching. In that case. The little ones can be moved to secure location if in danger. Back to the nest is OK and preferable for nestlings. If they're fledging, they not likely to stay long. They're developing extremely fast, flying within a week of fledging. From street or ground to a nearby bush preferably a low tree branch is O.K as well. Survival is low 25% (one per nest) is normal. About all the adults can handle with depredation factored in. Garden hose works fairly well distracting a cat. Cats hole up when raining as well, bring out the worms and are good deal for Robins. Grackles and Jays much smarter than the Robins and more defensive. Adult birds sound alarm with appearance of danger and you may be mobbed. This commotion also attracts predators as well so intervene with discretion. Only when the little one is in imminent. danger. I'll stay tuned in today, for any questions. I got a displaced featherless nestling two weeks ago now I'm teaching it to forage. Difficult at best and my success is not likely, but it's strong and capable of short flights. We'll see.

I love this time of year. Every bit as entertaining as hoops, it's real. Remember not to anthropomorphize. The Bambi Syndrome turns many into delusional snowflakes. I do understand Bambi's place in the freezer is repulsive to many. But while animals don't have rights and on the menu, we as humans making decisions, must be responsible. Enjoy life everyday and it is important as all life matters. In nature and on the farm. I'll get off the soapbox now. Enjoy life everyday. It is truly a blessing. Eat well, respect and be thankful.
4f1b9ca1c35a50e5eb9b7829193242e8.jpg

Thumper, Bambi & Flower. Awesome entertainment.

One Sunday a year or so ago we were on our way to get breakfast and saw Bambi on Old Alabama Road, a very busy secondary road. It was wobbly and on the center line and traffic was zipping by at 45-50 mph. I just knew that we were about to see it get smushed, but it turned around and ran back in the bushes. It was a miracle that it did not get hit.

I love this time of year. Every bit as entertaining as hoops, it's real. Remember not to anthropomorphize. The Bambi Syndrome turns many into delusional snowflakes. I do understand Bambi's place in the freezer is repulsive to many. But while animals don't have rights and on the menu, we as humans making decisions, must be responsible. Enjoy life everyday and it is important as all life matters. In nature and on the farm. I'll get off the soapbox now. Enjoy life everyday. It is truly a blessing. Eat well, respect and be thankful.
Well said.

Morning D
it's nice out there
taking youngest and his buddy to a fun park today; laser tag, go karts, video games - fun for his birthday (turned 12 on Tuesday)
not in the best of moods; found out I made a big mistake yesterday and it has me concerned and not a little upset.

Morning D
it's nice out there
taking youngest and his buddy to a fun park today; laser tag, go karts, video games - fun for his birthday (turned 12 on Tuesday)
not in the best of moods; found out I made a big mistake yesterday and it has me concerned and not a little upset.
Correct it or amend it, or don't worry about it.

William Conrad was born in Louisville, Kentucky.

Booooo

Only problem lil birdy has is I have to mow my grass today or tomorrow. I'll give him a big buffer zone and leave him in his tall grass, but poor thing will be terrified. I'll give him about 15 feet. Just afraid I'll burst his lil eardrums if he has those. Rooster, do they have eardrums?

Rooster, do they have eardrums?
Yes, birds have unimaginable hearing. For example, an owl can hear the pounding of a scurrying mouse at around approximately 75'. They listen to chirp ^all the time and from quite a distance. If it doesn't hurt your ears it won't hurt theirs. You can move the little one out of the way. Expect it will scream, pissing off the adults but they'll be watching where you put it. If it's healthy its going to flee the marauding ape. In this case, herd it to safety. It should fine. Much better off than being mowed by the Neanderthal. Speaking for the civilized . . . Thanks for caring.
Neanderthal-Celebrities-4704.jpg

Last edited:
And now my dog found it. Went ballistic and told her NO! Birdy was scared, but unharmed. Sorry Mama Bird had to see that.

^ that was 20 min ago. I let Dolly know she was not to touch lil birdy UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANE then I proceeded to plant this dwarf spruce in a planter on the porch about 15ft from birdy.

I went to check on birdy after I was finished AND HE WAS GONE. ONE LIL FLUFFY FEATHER WHERE HE SAT IN HIS DIVOT. My dog was eating a bone she dug over on the far corner of the yard. I know that for a fact. She did not get the bird....unless she pulled the sneakiest of maneuvers. He must have hopped to the mulch. I can't see him, but maybe/hopefully he is safe. Momma chirping. I can't find him. Laying low now see if his mama knows where he is. I'm worried. I don't think she knows. She's chirping and looking I think. He's gotta be near. Sucker is hard to spot, and if he's in the beds he'll be harder to find. Momma quit chirping. Idk. Surely hopped off somewhere. It would just take about 6 feet and he could find some cover.

Ok, Rooster bird. I bet he fled me the maurading ape. I was making a racket pretty close to him, so he probabaly got out of dodge. I don't think momma sees him though. I think I hear two different chirps tho. Could be him chirping up to mama.

Herd of grackle landed. Wonder if the new ones are flying.

If this Robin is not OK I'll be upset. My gut says he is.

My gut says he is.

My gut is telling me you're the doing fine. The little robin is just that a little robin and sometimes things don't work out the way you intend. For example, a lady friend of mine was having an issue with a Rock Squirrel acting like one in her garden. I got out one of my live capture traps. Caught the rascal and took it to a local park in NDN Bend wash where the resident squirrels are fat.
32904187165_ebfe82876a_b.jpg

Upon leaving about 200 yards away from the release, I ran over one just like it. Saw it coming and quickly decided I could not run over the kids on bicycles. It sucked but ish happens.

My gut is telling me you're the doing fine. The little robin is just that a little robin and sometimes things don't work out the way you intend. For example, a lady friend of mine was having an issue with a Rock Squirrel acting like one in her garden. I got out one of my live capture traps. Caught the rascal and took it to a local park in NDN Bend wash where the resident squirrels are fat.
32904187165_ebfe82876a_b.jpg

Upon leaving about 200 yards away from the release, I ran over one just like it. Saw it coming and quickly decided I could not run over the kids on bicycles. It sucked but ish happens.

My gut says you're telling me that lil Robin is dead.

Idk. My yard looks damn good though.

Hope y'all are enjoying your Saturday.

ATX, "wannacry" virus sounds bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT