ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

In our old neighborhood my neighbor encountered a King Snake fighting a Copperhead. He had several little kids. He killed them both. King Snakes kill and eat Copperheads. So.........don't kill King Snakes. They are your friend. Copperheads deliver more snake bites than any other snake in the U.S.

I was bitten by a snake in high weeds (thus I never saw the snake) when I was a kid. Spent some time in a hospital.

hey guys
I'm going to ask you again for prayers, and/or positive thoughts
My son and his girlfriend are headed to Lexington, then to North Carolina right now. I told you all that the g/f cousin was killed accidentally on Friday. Sadly, the cousin's grandmother passed away last night, then another family member this morning. It's an extremely rough weekend for this girl and her family.
I'm asking that you remember them all, for healing and comfort, and for my boy and the g/f family as they travel to be with the rest of the family.

Thank you all

hey guys
My son and his girlfriend are headed to Lexington, then to North Carolina right now. I told you all that the g/f cousin was killed accidentally on Friday. Sadly, the cousin's grandmother passed away last night, then another family member this morning. It's an extremely rough weekend for this girl and her family.
I'm asking that you remember them all, for healing and comfort, and for my boy and the g/f family as they travel to be with the rest of the family.

Thank you all
Jesus, help them.

I leave non-poisonous snakes alone, but Copperheads have to die.

Ophidiophobia is instinctive and justifiably so. Rationality is an enlightenment.
Example: This image is an example of evolutionary defensive mimicry.
coral-snake-vs-king-snake-oqzlgqxt.jpg

The Scarlet King (left) vs the poisonous Coral (right) can be identified by their striping. Red on black friend of Jack, red on yellow deadly fellow. Why care? Poisonous snakes are on the menu of the various king snake species as the rattler below. The Copperhead (a pit viper without the rattle) is include on the menu.
062cc779e39164b91648e902c20399bc.jpg

Like you Don, I respond with rationality albeit slightly modified. In the rural ecosystem, King snakes are indeed a valuable member of the ecosystem tracking down and removing dangerous pit vipers, cute baby rabbits or destructive rodents. A poisonous snake can be very dangerous. Being a well-trained biologist, when I'm confronted with their presence, there only two choices, allow a peaceful removal (I have a steel, screened vented, box for this), or suffer a violent sacrifice for safety. I don't decide, God does. This is where the rational response comes in. Pit vipers have a sensory pit on in front of their eyes (hence the term) allowing them to sense in the infrared (heat). If I'm afraid, go into shock, body surface temp drops, the viper senses danger and in defense may strike with catastrophic consequences. Not being afraid, the viper senses little danger, sees I'm too flipping big to eat and USUALLY allows peaceful removal to a more suitable location. It's a beautiful world and knowledge is a great thing.
I never saw the snake
Exactly why there's two options.

Science edit.

Last edited:
Ophidiophobia is instinctive and justifiably so. Rationality is an enlightenment.

The Scarlet King (left) vs the poisonous Coral (left) can be identified by their striping. Red on black friend of Jack, red on yellow deadly fellow. Why care? Poisonous snakes are on the menu of the various king snake species as the rattler below. The Copperhead (a pit viper without the rattle) is include on the menu.

Like you Don, I respond with rationality albeit slightly modified. In the rural ecosystem, King snakes are indeed a valuable member of the ecosystem tracking down and removing dangerous pit vipers, cute baby rabbits or destructive rodents. A poisonous snake can be very dangerous. Being a well-trained biologist, when I'm confronted with their presence, there only two choices, allow a peaceful removal (I have a steel, screened vented, box for this), or suffer a violent sacrifice for safety. I don't decide, God does. This is where the rational response comes in. Pit vipers have a sensory pit on in front of their eyes (hence the term) allowing them to sense in the infrared (heat). If I'm afraid, go into shock, body surface temp drops, the viper senses danger and in defense may strike with catastrophic consequences. Not being afraid, the viper senses little danger, sees I'm too flipping big to eat and USUALLY allows peaceful removal to a more suitable location. It's a beautiful world and knowledge is a great thing.

Great post. Thanks for the information from an expert. We have Rattlesnakes and Water Moccasins around here. I have never seen either on our property.

hey guys

Thank you all
How tragic. Of course, thoughts and prayers for the family during this difficult time.

hey guys

Thank you all
I'll do just that.

Bev, my heart is truly with you in this time. When my mom passed away in 1996, her nurse was compassionate, but direct. I will remember her question to me the rest of my life. "She's dying. Do you want to let her pass here (the nursing home), or send her back to the hospital?" I chose to let her stay where she was. It was easier on both of us. The ironic thing was that me as the middle son was the last child to be with both of my parents when they passed away.

hey guys

Thank you all
Real stuff. Prayers up for the whole family

:(

The Scarlet King (left) vs the poisonous Coral (right) can be identified by their striping. Red on black friend of Jack, red on yellow deadly fellow. Why care? Poisonous snakes are on the menu of the various king snake species as the rattler below. The Copperhead (a pit viper without the rattle) is include on the menu.

Science edit.

Red on black, friend of Jack
Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

Orrrr ... is it the other way around?

Check from a distance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT