ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Norman gets medicine once a month that is in the form of a dog treat. If medication were already added to dog food, it might be hard to control the dosage, since the dog would be eating the food regularly vs getting a precise measured amount. There would also be the economic side of things. Medicated dog food would cost more than regular food, probably wouldn't sell as well. It would take up a lot of space on the store shelves. That space would be better used to sell products in higher demand. The medication could be put in a smaller packaging, giving the retailer more profit per foot of shelf space.
Well, what about tranquilizer darts for arrest resistors?

They should do that, but I've read that a tranquilizer could take too long to work, not be the right dosage, yada yada. Seems like situations where you would use a tranq dart, you could just use a taser or pepper spray.

Whatever the method, I agree that non lethal force needs to be more of the standard. Maybe we should look at how cops in Great Britain handle things, since they don't carry guns. Maybe its unrealistic to apply what they do over there though.

us1681.jpg

Not fast enough Don. Also, if the guy is on some drugs, the dart might kill him. They have tasers and bean bag shotguns. It would be nice if the police had some magic fairy dust they could sprinkle on these guys to get them calmed down, but sometimes the magic fairy dust has to be a 9mm hunk of lead.

In the opposite direction, on Tuesday I took my father to the VA for a couple of appointments and then over to Dixie Hwy to check on his van. We lived in that area for the first couple years of my life and I decided to drive him to look at our old house. We drove for quite awhile before he realized what we were doing, but when he did he started telling stories. He's 85 but he remembered quite a bit about the area. Dixie hasn't changed much in 50 years.

I took him from there across a back road past the church we used to go to and that sparked some more stories. He pointed to the hill next to the church and started laughing "you probably don't remember, but you ran down that hill one time and when you got to the bottom you went face first into the ground". "Your mother was mad because you had grass stains on your new Easter clothes, I couldn't stop laughing because you had a mouthful of grass." I told him that I remembered that quite well because that was a life lesson about physics that I learned the hard way.

We visited two more houses in Louisville along with Churchill Downs. He was feeling good that day and was alert and lucid. I'm glad that I took advantage of it and took us for a 3 hour tour down memory lane. He told me things that I had never heard before and would have had no way of knowing. It was a simple concept when I thought of doing it, but it turned out to be one of the best days of my life. When we got to his house he thanked me and said I had brought back a lot of memories for him.

Good post, Bob. You are a good son.

Savor all of the times you have with him. My dad has been gone 41 years. I would give a fortune for three hours with him.

They should do that, but I've read that a tranquilizer could take too long to work, not be the right dosage, yada yada. Seems like situations where you would use a tranq dart, you could just use a taser or pepper spray.

Whatever the method, I agree that non lethal force needs to be more of the standard. Maybe we should look at how cops in Great Britain handle things, since they don't carry guns. Maybe its unrealistic to apply what they do over there though.

The police around here carry tazers. They work but are inaccurate at over 10 feet.

If you screw around with a cop you should expect to get shot. This crap going on with the treatment of cops has got to stop. Obama started it and it is time it ended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT