ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

mota_ru_981402-1680x1050.jpg
Looks like the Silver Streak.

Science Break:

This trio of interacting galaxies, almost 90 million light-years away looking towards the constellation Virgo, are dancing partners.. On the right are two foreground Milky Way stars that frame the trio.
NGC5566_70chart32.jpg

(click image to expand)
NGC 5566 is enormous, about 150,000 light-years across, with sweeping spiral arms and obscuring dust lanes . Just above it appears the small blue NGC 5569. Near center is the third galaxy, NGC 5560. It is multicolored and is stretched and distorted by its interaction with NGC 5566. These cosmic interactions are part of the evolution process of most all galaxies.

Here is a strange thought or three that has been dwelling in the muddy waters of my brain, for a few days now. This racial unrest and political finger pointing that is todays world has me remembering the old folks. I can trace my folks defending this country even before it had a flag.

That continues to this very day and kinfolk that served as law enforcement also belong in that tradition. That explains the reason why my mind has been on them latelty because the career field they chose remains as dangerous and important that it was during their life time. I also wonder and worry if this group has the staying power that they did?

Last night as I headed down the home stretch going home I noticed the car ahead of me driving on the wrong side of the road. I thought "aha" there's a DUI in progress. It wasn't a DUI at all. It was a kid on a bicycle. 11:30 at night, no reflectors on his bike, black clothing ......... you could not see him. I honked and stopped him just as he arrived at home. I yelled out "you need to put some reflectors on your bike and wear light colored clothing when you are riding at night, nobody can see you."

Did I do the right thing, or was I over reacting?

Last night as I headed down the home stretch going home I noticed the car ahead of me driving on the wrong side of the road. I thought "aha" there's a DUI in progress. It wasn't a DUI at all. It was a kid on a bicycle. 11:30 at night, no reflectors on his bike, black clothing ......... you could not see him. I honked and stopped him just as he arrived at home. I yelled out "you need to put some reflectors on your bike and wear light colored clothing when you are riding at night, nobody can see you."

Right thing.

Right thing, but I think you should have thrown in a "stay off my lawn" for good measure.

right thing - we've had 2 accidents here in town because of it; one of them (age 12) died
kid probably doesn't care, though

You almost did the right thing, donfather. You forgot to smack the reset button on the back of that kid's head.

How in the Sam Hill is it legal to get on a bullhorn and tell the crowd to go out and shoot policemen? That has to be a serious violation of the law. Almost an accessory to Attempted Murder of LEO. Maybe that's it.

It isn't legal at all.

Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395U.S.444 (1969), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case based on the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is directed to inciting, and is likely to incite, imminent lawless action.[1]

Right thing.

@wildcatdonf - if nothing else, using a bullhorn to encourage violence is inciting a riot. Illegal. Not sure about the murder thing.

Did the right thing with the bike kid. He'll either learn or get dead.

In Kentucky it is a felony to Class A misdemeanor. Inciting a riot is also a crime.

Here is the Statute:
508.080 Terroristic threatening in the third degree.

(1) Except as provided in KRS 508.075 or 508.078, a person is guilty of terroristic threatening in the third degree when:

(a) He threatens to commit any crime likely to result in death or serious physical injury to another person or likely to result in substantial property damage to another person; or

(b) He intentionally makes false statements for the purpose of causing evacuation of a building, place of assembly, or facility of public transportation.

(2) Terroristic threatening in the third degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

Effective: June 21, 2001

History: Amended 2001 Ky. Acts ch. 113, sec. 3, effective June 21, 2001. – Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 72, effective January 1, 1975.

Tough day at the office yesterday, tough day with a few personal items. All good in the end, but some days are harder than others. Plopped down last night for some TV and remembered it was UK day on the SEC Network.

--Watched the last 15 minutes of the 2011 UNC/UK with my son. A friend of mine had given me tickets and I took my son, who was nine at the time, to that game. Still have pictures of him with blue wig, face painted standing beside Goose Givens. We stayed at the Hyatt and ended up riding the elevator down to the game with Zoeller, Henson, and a couple other UNC players--LOTS of great memories of that trip and watching it with him last night was special.

Watched the ending of the LSU/UK football game, and remembered we were in Florida at the time on vacation, door open to the beach screaming our heads off until UK won. The whole family....and the kids were fairly young at the time.

Watched most of the 2012 NCAA National Championship game, where I had the privilege and good fortune to attend with one of my close high school friends.

Great memories are special--and after a really hard day yesterday, reliving all those games last night wiped away every bit of stress in my bones. Occasionally someone will ask why I get so emotionally involved with UK sports---that's why.

Last edited:
Tough day at the office yesterday, tough day with a few personal items. All good in the end, but some days are harder than others. Plopped down last night for some TV and remembered it was UK day on the SEC Network.

--Watched the last 15 minutes of the 2011 UNC/UK with my son. A friend of mine had given me tickets and I took my son, who was ten at the time, to that game. Still have pictures of him with blue wig, face painted standing beside Goose Givens. We stayed at the Hyatt and ended up riding the elevator down to the game with Zoeller, Henson, and a couple other UNC players--LOTS of great memories of that trip and watching it with him last night was special.

Watched the ending of the LSU/UK football game, and remembered we were in Florida at the time on vacation, door open to the beach screaming our heads off until UK won. The whole family....and the kids were fairly young at the time.

Watched most of the 2012 NCAA National Championship game, where I had the privilege and good fortune to attend with one of my close high school friends.

Great memories are special--and after a really hard day yesterday, reliving those all those games last night wiped away every bit of stress in my bones. Occasionally someone will ask why I get so emotionally involved with UK sports---that's why.
Great post Wett.

In the opposite direction, on Tuesday I took my father to the VA for a couple of appointments and then over to Dixie Hwy to check on his van. We lived in that area for the first couple years of my life and I decided to drive him to look at our old house. We drove for quite awhile before he realized what we were doing, but when he did he started telling stories. He's 85 but he remembered quite a bit about the area. Dixie hasn't changed much in 50 years.

I took him from there across a back road past the church we used to go to and that sparked some more stories. He pointed to the hill next to the church and started laughing "you probably don't remember, but you ran down that hill one time and when you got to the bottom you went face first into the ground". "Your mother was mad because you had grass stains on your new Easter clothes, I couldn't stop laughing because you had a mouthful of grass." I told him that I remembered that quite well because that was a life lesson about physics that I learned the hard way.

We visited two more houses in Louisville along with Churchill Downs. He was feeling good that day and was alert and lucid. I'm glad that I took advantage of it and took us for a 3 hour tour down memory lane. He told me things that I had never heard before and would have had no way of knowing. It was a simple concept when I thought of doing it, but it turned out to be one of the best days of my life. When we got to his house he thanked me and said I had brought back a lot of memories for him.

• Good Morning, Y'all.
  • 79º in Johns Creek. Overcast. IFR probably. Maybe that will hold the temp down. Maybe not, Hell, it's July.
  • Blood Sugar = 86. Weight = 227.
  • Good stories by Wett & Ymmot.
  • 2nd mug of Dark Magic going.
  • Listening to RNC. Ted Cruz.
  • Flea repellent in the dog food. Is there such a thing? Why not?
  • Over.

Should be Don. My wife puts medicine in the cat food. One of them won't eat it though, he knows. She has to give it to him manually.

Came up with an idea at the golf course yesterday. Weed eater string that is poisonous and kills the grass that you cut with it. Wear sturdy shoes when you use it.

My dad forbade me from patronizing pool halls ......... any pool hall. There was a pool hall in the wide place in the road where he was from. It was a rough place and there were a couple of murders in there over gambling. He deducted that all pool halls were bad, so pool halls were off limits.

When we moved into this house, we finished the basement, and it became the Wildcat Room complete with a pool table and pinball machine. The grands loved both.

The last time that dad visited he and I were down there, and I asked him if he wanted to play a game of pool. He said okay. He was 73 at the time and would be dead in a few months. He did not shoot the ball hard, but he still remembered all of the angles and was actually a good pool player. We only played one game. He beat me handily. That was the only time that we ever played. I just never knew.

BCG era = what a nightmare. At least it saw a few bright spots due to the players.
oddly, found myself getting a little emotional; they had an interview with Pat Summitt during the broadcast. Was so strange, and rather awesome, to see her - she was still healthy at that time, I believe it was before her diagnosis.

--Watched the last 15 minutes of the 2011 UNC/UK with my son. A friend of mine had given me tickets and I took my son, who was nine at the time, to that game. Still have pictures of him with blue wig, face painted standing beside Goose Givens. We stayed at the Hyatt and ended up riding the elevator down to the game with Zoeller, Henson, and a couple other UNC players--LOTS of great memories of that trip and watching it with him last night was special.

Great memories are special--and after a really hard day yesterday, reliving all those games last night wiped away every bit of stress in my bones. Occasionally someone will ask why I get so emotionally involved with UK sports---that's why.

thank you for this......and you're right. So few understand why we get so emotionally involved. This is also why I get so excited and happy for our guys who have moved on to the NBA, or other success. It's like they're my own kids - proud of them and the fact that we can say this wonderful guy played for my Cats.

• Flea repellent in the dog food. Is there such a thing? Why not?
Norman gets medicine once a month that is in the form of a dog treat. If medication were already added to dog food, it might be hard to control the dosage, since the dog would be eating the food regularly vs getting a precise measured amount. There would also be the economic side of things. Medicated dog food would cost more than regular food, probably wouldn't sell as well. It would take up a lot of space on the store shelves. That space would be better used to sell products in higher demand. The medication could be put in a smaller packaging, giving the retailer more profit per foot of shelf space.

In the opposite direction, on Tuesday I took my father to the VA for a couple of appointments and then over to Dixie Hwy to check on his van. We lived in that area for the first couple years of my life and I decided to drive him to look at our old house. We drove for quite awhile before he realized what we were doing, but when he did he started telling stories. He's 85 but he remembered quite a bit about the area. Dixie hasn't changed much in 50 years.

I took him from there across a back road past the church we used to go to and that sparked some more stories. He pointed to the hill next to the church and started laughing "you probably don't remember, but you ran down that hill one time and when you got to the bottom you went face first into the ground". "Your mother was mad because you had grass stains on your new Easter clothes, I couldn't stop laughing because you had a mouthful of grass." I told him that I remembered that quite well because that was a life lesson about physics that I learned the hard way.

We visited two more houses in Louisville along with Churchill Downs. He was feeling good that day and was alert and lucid. I'm glad that I took advantage of it and took us for a 3 hour tour down memory lane. He told me things that I had never heard before and would have had no way of knowing. It was a simple concept when I thought of doing it, but it turned out to be one of the best days of my life. When we got to his house he thanked me and said I had brought back a lot of memories for him.
awesome story - thank you for sharing it
talk about a memory to cherish.

My dad forbade me from patronizing pool halls ......... any pool hall. There was a pool hall in the wide place in the road where he was from. It was a rough place and there were a couple of murders in there over gambling. He deducted that all pool halls were bad, so pool halls were off limits.

When we moved into this house, we finished the basement, and it became the Wildcat Room complete with a pool table and pinball machine. The grands loved both.

The last time that dad visited he and I were down there, and I asked him if he wanted to play a game of pool. He said okay. He was 73 at the time and would be dead in a few months. He did not shoot the ball hard, but he still remembered all of the angles and was actually a good pool player. We only played one game. He beat me handily. That was the only time that we ever played. I just never knew.
another cool memory - and greatly appreciate the sharing of it.

I have very few good memories of the bio-pop - most of the time they are buried beneath the ish he pulled then, and later, and all that followed. But I do recall going out on his boat on the Ohio.

I have better memories with my Dad - who is actually my stepdad. He married my Mom a year after hubby and I got married; I was pregnant with my first child when they got married. 2 years after that, he adopted my brother and sister (obviously, both still minors). I made a comment that I wish I had been younger so he could adopt me too - half jokingly thinking it wouldn't happen, and it didn't matter, really. He took it seriously, and went to his lawyer, and even though I was married, with a child, he still adopted me, so I could be his daughter.

Norman gets medicine once a month that is in the form of a dog treat. If medication were already added to dog food, it might be hard to control the dosage, since the dog would be eating the food regularly vs getting a precise measured amount. There would also be the economic side of things. Medicated dog food would cost more than regular food, probably wouldn't sell as well. It would take up a lot of space on the store shelves. That space would be better used to sell products in higher demand. The medication could be put in a smaller packaging, giving the retailer more profit per foot of shelf space.
our dogs, Dee and Neiko, get that once a month med as well - Confortis I think it's called? Or something similar.
Anyway, glad you mentioned this - it's time for their meds again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT