ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

55, good looking carpentry. I know you must be proud of that work. You saved a few hundred dollars. Money saved is money earned.

Thanks Don...not to much to it as far as carpentry. Basically remove the bad panel and replace with new, only this time the replacement will not rot,warp, and so on..I did however save myself about 800.00 doing it myself based on estimates to replace..

Thanks Don...not to much to it as far as carpentry. Basically remove the bad panel and replace with new, only this time the replacement will not rot,warp, and so on..I did however save myself about 800.00 doing it myself based on estimates to replace..
I know how hard it was. Don't be so modest. I replaced our front door about 10 years ago. I would not attempt it now. We saved some money by doing it ourselves. Modern men cannot fix anything. You are a dying breed.

ford_truck.jpg

I'll give ya the address so you will know where to deliver.

My maternal grandmother had an orchard of apple trees and peach trees. The apple trees were Golden Delicious and some little sour as hell kind that you didn't want to eat until they were ripe. As I recall she did not like for us to get the apples especially. When they got ripe (apples and peaches) she would pull about a half dozen sheets of tin out in the yard and dry slices of apples and peaches. When they were just right (I don't know what that is) she would put them in cloth bags and make fried pies for us during the Winter and until she ran out. We loved them. Did anyone else get to enjoy this sort of thing?

Your sis is lucky to be on Beech Island. Love that place. The Savannah River nuclear site brought a lot of jobs to that area, but it saddened me when I learned about the small towns that were lost/moved to locate it there. It's too late tonight for me to get started on Barnwell, but Yucca Mountain needs to serve its purpose and get opened up for nuclear waste like it's supposed to be.
Agree 1000% on getting Yucca Mountain open. It's not a question of science, but a question of politics.

hubby had one of these when we were dating, his was actually a 52 and a half, rather than a 53, but it did have those corner windows:
1953-chevy-pickup-4.jpg

Loved that truck, I think, more than any other vehicle he has had since we've been together. He attempted to teach me to drive a manual transmission in it, which didn't go over too well; the clutch was very stiff and you couldn't stall the damn thing.
I remember, too, he was going to take me to my senior prom in it - which would've been more than fine with me, but my Mom made us take her car. She didn't think a truck was appropriate, nice enough. Too bad too - his looked almost as good as this one, and he had spent the day detailing and waxing it.

Surprised at the number of earthquake experiences.

Was living in Atlanta during the 90's and Gulf Coast hurricanes would usually take a day or two to wind down and then move over Atlanta as nothing more than breezy winds and a LOT of rain. Except one of them..which hit the Panama City Beach area and within 4-5 hours was over Atlanta..fast moving. Winds were just below hurricane strength so it was "only" a tropical storm at that time---went on for about 3 hours in the middle of the night. My wife who is from south Florida slept right through it. I..on the other hand...realized that if what I saw in those 3 hours wasn't even a low grade hurricane, then I never wanted anything to do with the real thing.

Realize now that I should have included "Experienced a Train Wreck" for the Donster.

Charleston (well, Ladson and Summerville) sits on a fault line. We don't get the Cali-style quakes, but every once in a while we get one we actually feel. It feels like something hit your house! Never lasts longer than that one moment.

Had a nice conversation with one of the chaplains here at the hospital. BTW, he's black. The most important point he made was the following:

"Terry, I think Hilary is in for a big surprise in November. There's going to be a lot more black people voting for Trump than you expect. I voted for Obama, and I regretted it ever since. How can I as a chaplain condone same sex marriage and boys using girls restrooms? It seems like Barack is supporting the sinners more than the faithful."

Well our votes should never be taken for granted. The black vote for the Dems is taken for granted.

I am very liberal on the social issues but I am very conservative on the fiscal side. It is stupid to run up debt for worthless services.

disasters.

1. Witnessed a tornado: Yes, several
  2. Actually felt an earthquake beneath you: Yes. two.
  3. Been in a hurricane: Yes, two in Florida
  4. Flood: Yes
  5. Aircraft/helicopter crash: no
  6. Bad car accident: yes
  7. Major boating accident: No
  8. Major fire: No
  9. Civil Unrest or War: Yes
  10. Tsunami: No
  11. Others? My April 15th check to the IRS.

My maternal grandmother had an orchard of apple trees and peach trees. The apple trees were Golden Delicious and some little sour as hell kind that you didn't want to eat until they were ripe. As I recall she did not like for us to get the apples especially. When they got ripe (apples and peaches) she would pull about a half dozen sheets of tin out in the yard and dry slices of apples and peaches. When they were just right (I don't know what that is) she would put them in cloth bags and make fried pies for us during the Winter and until she ran out. We loved them. Did anyone else get to enjoy this sort of thing?
My grandfather had an orchard all the way up till about 1991. Never had a peach the same since. They pick them way too early in stores. When asked how to tell if a peach was ripe, my papaw said if the juice runs to your elbow it was ripe.

My grandfathers orchard had thousands of peach and apple trees

He had different plum trees too. Damson were my favorite

Had gooseberry, grapes, elderberry, quince and pear trees as well

I love Arkansas black apples. Can't find them anywhere. Stay crisp for a month and not get mealy

1. Witnessed a tornado: Yes
  2. Actually felt an earthquake beneath you: Yes
  3. Been in a hurricane: No, (have been in the storms just before & was in FL just after one)
  4. Flood: Yes
  5. Aircraft/helicopter crash: No
  6. Bad car accident: No (car totaled, but no one seriously hurt)
  7. Major boating accident: No
  8. Major fire: Yes
  9. Civil Unrest or War: No
  10. Tsunami: No
  11. Others? Wife had Preeclampsia when she was pregnant with our daughter. She started to seize. My daughter was born the next day and stayed 71 days in the hospital.

Charleston (well, Ladson and Summerville) sits on a fault line. We don't get the Cali-style quakes, but every once in a while we get one we actually feel. It feels like something hit your house! Never lasts longer than that one moment.

That was actually catfan starting up his particle collider. Yep, that's what it was. FCC.

You had a rich granddaddy.
Not quite. Tho I have fond memories of the orchard it was supposed to be my grandparents retirement years. They worked themselves to the bone. Dropped every penny they had. Bad frost would wipe them out. My grandfather never made it past six grade. Went to war at 16 and was married to my grandmother for 3 days and was shipped off

He came back 3 1/2 years later. They opened a diner then he became an electrician. He was very mechanically inclined He decided after he retired he would buy some land and start an orchard. It had its good years and bad but ended up costing them.
I loved my papaw and the orchard memories. But some of his decisions really effected my grandmother. She never once complained tho. She passed in January at 93. He died in 2001 at 81

Those homemade fried pies - apple or peach - were great. I think a lot of people made them back in the day.

Not quite. Tho I have fond memories of the orchard it was supposed to be my grandparents retirement years. They worked themselves to the bone. Dropped every penny they had. Bad frost would wipe them out. My grandfather never made it past six grade. Went to war at 16 and was married to my grandmother for 3 days and was shipped off

He came back 3 1/2 years later. They opened a diner then he became an electrician. He was very mechanically inclined He decided after he retired he would buy some land and start an orchard. It had its good years and bad but ended up costing them.
I loved my papaw and the orchard memories. But some of his decisions really effected my grandmother. She never once complained tho. She passed in January at 93. He died in 2001 at 81

Neither of my parents went past the sixth grade. Maybe not even that far. They were uneducated but not dumb. Neither of them ever drove a car. None of my five brothers finished high school. My three oldest brothers didn't finish elementary school. My mother was married at 14. Not a strange thing at all back then. Get the kids (seven of them) out of the house as soon as possible. My father was in that sweet spot - too young for WWI and too old for WWII.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT