ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones regarding the NIL at UK.

Fans not giving to NIL negatively affect NIL. Funny how so many brag about not giving to NIL and are outraged to be asked, yet blame everyone else under the son.
You aren't kidding. Many people have no shame or sense of public responsibility these days. Everyone has an excuse and everyone wants someone else to get it done for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPECT imaging
There was no prospect of NIL when the JMI deal was agreed to. Although it seems to me that JMI cannot exactly prevent players from profiting off of NIL, it does not surprise me that they would try to do so.

Anyone know what it is our players aren’t allowed to do? I had been thinking things must be ok with our NIL if we were keeping our good players, closing in on a really good recruiting class, and about to land some good players through the portal.
From what I understand our athletes cannot use or wear the logo or sports gear while doing NIL unless they pay JMI. Say Reed gets a car commercial at Toyota south. He can’t wear anything associated with UK in the commercial without paying JMI. Most paid public appearances they would love to be in uniform.

From what I understand our athletes cannot use or wear the logo or sports gear while doing NIL unless they pay JMI. Say Reed gets a car commercial at Toyota south. He can’t wear anything associated with UK in the commercial without paying JMI. Most paid public appearances they would love to be in uniform.
That’s applies to every school in the country and every pro team too. Matt Jones can sell his sheep any lie. If Reed gets drafted by the Houston Rockets and they want to use the Houston Rockets logos in a commercial they have to pay too. A common practice everywhere and Matt Jones convinced his sheep that it was a UK issue to get back at JMI when they no longer allowed him to freeload off the program.

That’s applies to every school in the country and every pro team too. Matt Jones can sell his sheep any lie. If Reed gets drafted by the Houston Rockets and they want to use the Houston Rockets logos in a commercial they have to pay too. A common practice everywhere and Matt Jones convinced his sheep that it was a UK issue to get back at JMI when they no longer allowed him to freeload off the program.
This isn’t true for colleges that own their own rights I’ve been told. To help with NIL the college can say go ahead and wear it guys. It helps NIL. It’s up to the college. That’s one way the school can actually help with NIL. With Sold rights, JMI doesn’t care about NIL. Houston owns their own rights. If the organization wants to let a player wear a uniform during a commercial they can. Our guys cannot. The university has no say. They sold that say.

This isn’t true for colleges that own their own rights I’ve been told. To help with NIL the college can say go ahead and wear it guys. It helps NIL. It’s up to the college. That’s one way the school can actually help with NIL. With Sold rights, JMI doesn’t care about NIL. Houston owns their own rights. If the organization wants to let a player wear a uniform during a commercial they can. Our guys cannot. The university has no say. They sold that say.
Whoever told you that about Houston is wrong.

Texas state law requires that if a student athlete wants to use a school’s logo as part of an NIL deal, the school must be compensated in an amount consistent with market rates.

Whoever told you that about Houston is wrong.

Texas state law requires that if a student athlete wants to use a school’s logo as part of an NIL deal, the school must be compensated in an amount consistent with market rates.
You are not getting it. That means Texas schools own their own rights. I’m not saying the athletes can use the logo without permission from the school. The school owns that logo. The school can let that athlete use it for zero dollars if they want. They can’t use it, and have to pay for it if the school wants them to. Florida I believe is one school that is allowing their athletes to use it as an NIL incentive. They must get permission tho. Kentucky is a whole different ball game. We don’t even own our logos. Our school can’t give permission because we don’t own it. JMI does. We sold it years ago. I really can’t explain it any easier. If Texas law says their schools can’t give their logo away if they own it then I guess they can’t. I really find it hard to believe they passed a law about NIL that quickly. What it probably says is people can’t use it without permission. That was probably in effect before NIL. Texas is not a state I would think to pass laws hurting NIL for sports. A&Ms cheating is how we got where we are.

Last edited:
You are not getting it. That means Texas schools own their own rights. I’m not saying the athletes can use the logo without permission from the school. The school owns that logo. The school can let that athlete use it for zero dollars if they want. They can’t use it, and have to pay for it if the school wants them to. Florida I believe is one school that is allowing their athletes to use it as an NIL incentive. They must get permission tho. Kentucky is a whole different ball game. We don’t even own our logos. Our school can’t give permission because we don’t own it. JMI does. We sold it years ago. I really can’t explain it any easier. If Texas law says their schools can’t give their logo away if they own it then I guess they can’t. I really find it hard to believe they passed a law about NIL that quickly. What it probably says is people can’t use it without permission. That was probably in effect before NIL. Texas is not a state I would think to pass laws hurting NIL for sports. A&Ms cheating is how we got where we are.
No they can’t use the logo for free. Texas law requires that Texas schools be paid. And the revised Texas NIL law was just signed into law this past summer. It amended the prior NIL law which previously said athletes were banned from using school logos in NIL activities, even if the school wanted to grant permission.

As to Florida, they have the same type of MMR deal as UK, it’s just with Learfield instead of JMI. The Florida NIL Collectives have signed sponsorship agreements with Learfield. Any business who is engaging in a legimate NIL deal with an athlete would also have to sign a licensing deal with Learfield and pay for use of Florida’s logo in any advertisements. And if an athlete wants to promote any co-branded merchandise (e.g., shirts), Florida has set up partnerships with specific vendors that the athlete would use so that the school collects royalties via their agreement with CLC.

Last edited:
No they can’t use the logo for free. Texas law requires that Texas schools be paid. And the revised Texas NIL law was just signed into law this past summer. It amended the prior NIL law which previously said athletes were banned from using school logos in NIL activities, even if the school wanted to grant permission.

As to Florida, they have the same type of MMR deal as UK, it’s just with Learfield instead of JMI. The Florida NIL Collectives have signed sponsorship agreements with Learfield. Any business who is engaging in a legimate NIL deal with an athlete would also have to sign a licensing deal with Learfield and pay for use of Florida’s logo in any advertisements. And if an athlete wants to promote any co-branded merchandise (e.g., shirts), Florida has set up partnerships with specific vendors that the athlete would use so that the school collects royalties via their agreement with CLC.
Thanks for that research. That shocks me Texas would pass that law. Mizzou is passing laws to pay high school kids, Florida too. I have read some schools are letting athletes use it for inducement to NIL. Do you know which schools?? Thank you for not being snippy with your facts. I read things, don’t fully commit them to memory and move on. Then I’m like?? I read somewhere schools are doing this.

Houston has recruiting classes ranked in the 70’s even if they “help with NIL”. It’s funny how it was a huge talking point and was destroying Kentucky football, nothing has changed, but it is no longer an issue. Just another example of the control Matt Jones has on this fanbase.

Houston has recruiting classes ranked in the 70’s even if they “help with NIL”. It’s funny how it was a huge talking point and was destroying Kentucky football, nothing has changed, but it is no longer an issue. Just another example of the control Matt Jones has on this fanbase.
I don’t listen to KSR but my thoughts would be someone who is paid to cover the program would have more knowledge than an average fan on a message board. I live in America and know people and corporations have agendas though. I miss the America where you have some idea of what to believe. I try to take everything with a skeptical view? What’s their angle? Sad

Thanks for that research. That shocks me Texas would pass that law. Mizzou is passing laws to pay high school kids, Florida too. I have read some schools are letting athletes use it for inducement to NIL. Do you know which schools?? Thank you for not being snippy with your facts. I read things, don’t fully commit them to memory and move on. Then I’m like?? I read somewhere schools are doing this.

You need to protect your trade mark.

The world will shift yet again with the revenue sharing program. The alcohol sales revenue is kind of a different animal. I think it would have to take a twisted route to be used for NIL unless the players were beer spokespeople.

The world will shift yet again with the revenue sharing program. The alcohol sales revenue is kind of a different animal. I think it would have to take a twisted route to be used for NIL unless the players were beer spokespeople.
They need to make the players employees. All this NIL nonsense is just pay for play with a pinch of endorsements for name image and likeness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT