ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

lv1602.jpg

I took it for the usual horny school boy reason, glad I did.

I took typing to set next to the girls. Ended up sitting between two of them who had to peek over their two lady parts on their chests to see the key board. I typed very fast so I could look away from the keyboard. Once I slammed the carriage on the old Underwood so hard that it went flying into the jaw of one of them. She didn't talk to me for awhie, well she didn't talk to anyone for awhile.

Last edited:
Took typing in high school, only boy in the class....smart move. And with the invention of laptops--an even better move.

I have a lot of food allergies but most are more of an annoyance than a real threat. Until I found out otherwise. Have eaten tomatoes all my life with just an occasional slight reaction. About three years ago neighbor brought us some fantastic home grown tomatoes from their garden which went right into 2 BLTs. Delicious--one of my former favorites. 20 minutes later I'm in the ER with an IV in my arm drinking some strange concoction trying to make sure I can breath.

Needless to say, I take my allergies a little more seriously these days. Scary.

Gotta admit, Anna is the one female that I obey without question, without hesitation, and without delay. Her so-called birth father has denied her since she was born, but her mom ended up with a great guy who is raising Anna as his own. So Andy is her true father, and I'm her true servant. And neither one of us would have it any other way!

A Servant is a very important thing for a little princess to have!

OK. Never tried it that way, but I might try to make it with the hamburger. And my great-aunt Oglean used dandelion wine for hers (I use cheap fortified white wine).
I took the Campbell's soup recipe and kind of modified it a little:
2 lb ground beef
chopped onion
1 can mushrooms - pieces and stems
2 cans cream o mushroom soup
1 package lipton onion soup
2 tsp (or so) beef bouillon granules
dash or two of worcestershire sauce
8 oz container of sour cream

brown the meat with onion, then drain; add everything except the sour cream and let simmer while noodles are cooking. I usually use the wide egg noodles. When those are done, dump into a colander to drain. While the noodles are draining - add sour cream to the meat mixture. Dump the noodles back into the pasta pot. I add a little butter to the noodles to keep them from sticking. Then spoon out what you want, add the stroganoff and yum yum. It's really a good economy meal - usually have green beans and crescents to go with it.

I took a "family living" class in my senior year of high school. My dad was pissed. He was a mans man and said no son of his was going to take "home ec". I explained to him, away from my mother, that the teacher of that class was the hottest teacher in school and that there were 25 girls and 5 guys in that class. He just laughed and said "oh, OK". I also pointed out that he didn't say anything about the typing class I took for the same reasons, except for the teacher.

I made my first beef stroganoff for that class and chose it specifically because it had wine in it. I was a renegade.
Regardless of the actual reason for taking home ec - I think every guy should take it. Not every parent teaches their boys to do basic home skills, like laundry, cooking simple meals, etc. Just like I think girls should take automotive so they can change their own tires, the oil and do basic car maintenance.
actually, thinking about it - both of those should be required for all students, regardless of gender. Also add in a basic class on budgeting, check book balances, and all that. - you know, common sense stuff most of these kids don't have a clue about.

Took typing in high school, only boy in the class....smart move. And with the invention of laptops--an even better move.

I have a lot of food allergies but most are more of an annoyance than a real threat. Until I found out otherwise. Have eaten tomatoes all my life with just an occasional slight reaction. About three years ago neighbor brought us some fantastic home grown tomatoes from their garden which went right into 2 BLTs. Delicious--one of my former favorites. 20 minutes later I'm in the ER with an IV in my arm drinking some strange concoction trying to make sure I can breath.

Needless to say, I take my allergies a little more seriously these days. Scary.
ouch that sucks - I love fresh tomatoes. Sorry for @GhostVol as well.
I'm thankful to say that (as far as I know) I don't have any food or drug allergies.

Regardless of the actual reason for taking home ec - I think every guy should take it. Not every parent teaches their boys to do basic home skills, like laundry, cooking simple meals, etc. Just like I think girls should take automotive so they can change their own tires, the oil and do basic car maintenance.
actually, thinking about it - both of those should be required for all students, regardless of gender. Also add in a basic class on budgeting, check book balances, and all that. - you know, common sense stuff most of these kids don't have a clue about.
  • Basic Cooking.
  • Basic Automotive
  • Basic Bookkeeping
  • Basic Carpentry.
  • Basic Washer & Dryer Operation
  • Basic Sewing.

The folks that make the decisions to not teach these basics have to be in the idiot category.
no kidding - it SHOULD come from the parents - I know we've worked to teach our kids these things. My older two have been doing their own laundry since they were 12; the youngest will start doing his alone very soon. As it is, right now, he helps with it and has been putting away his own clothes for several years. All of them can follow directions for simple cooking - the older two being more advanced, of course. Both of the older ones can change their tires, check the oil, etc on their cars. And of course, we've worked on teaching money management from the first time they got an allowance.

But if it's a situation that the parents cannot or will not do this, the schools should. These kids are going to school/vocational or entering the work force without a clue.

Alben Barkley was VPOTUS when HST was the President. I went to school with ABIII. Alben was being bullied once in Junior High School. Circled formed in the school yard. Alben beat the **** out of the bully. He didn't have any idea that Alben could box. No police. No security guards. Nature took its course. Problem solved.
that's another thing I could rant on - kids aren't allowed to defend themselves anymore. I don't condone fighting, but understand that sometimes that's what has to be done to put an end to bullying. Instead, if they get "bullied" in any way - they have to run to the teacher or admin staff and tell them. That labels kids as tattletales - and oftentimes makes it worse, IMO. There are situations, of course, where telling staff should be first thing, but not always.

Alben Barkley was VPOTUS when HST was the President. I went to school with ABIII. Alben was being bullied once in Junior High School. Circled formed in the school yard. Alben beat the **** out of the bully. He didn't have any idea that Alben could box. No police. No security guards. Nature took its course. Problem solved.

Society has changed in a lot of ways for the better. The PC culture is not one of those changes I think is useful. In high school (my freshman year), my friend was punched in the face by a bully 50 pounds bigger. poor kid had his nose broken. The next day I walked up and punched the guy right in the gut. He never bothered my friend again. I feel like I probably would have been jailed if I had done that as a high schooler today.

Society has changed in a lot of ways for the better. The PC culture is not one of those changes I think is useful. In high school (my freshman year), my friend was punched in the face by a bully 50 pounds bigger. poor kid had his nose broken. The next day I walked up and punched the guy right in the gut. He never bothered my friend again. I feel like I probably would have been jailed if I had done that as a high schooler today.
I don't condone fighting, but sometimes there is just no other way. Won some and lost some. When the bullies know that you will fight they usually leave you alone.

I don't condone fighting, but sometimes there is just no other way. Won some and lost some. When the bullies know that you will fight they usually leave you alone.
what these people don't seem to understand is that bullying like that involves a lot more than throwing punches. There is a mental aspect that can completely break a kid down. It's usually little things - stuff that becomes one person's word against another's. Bullies also usually travel in packs and their buddies will back them up.
I'm sorry, but this is a sensitive issue for me, both of my boys have/had issues. Older son was small for his age, wore glasses and has bright orange-red hair. Add in that he's ADHD and he was a target. Younger son is ADHD and mildly autistic; he's also small for his age (only 65 lb and getting ready to start middle school); also a target. Both were subjected to overt bullying and the mental stuff all through elementary school and middle school. If either had been allowed to defend themselves, much of that would have been mitigated.

Had a family argument last week on this exact topic. My 13 year old son was being taunted at school so he grabbed the kid and tossed him to the ground. No hits, no real fight, but pretty much let the kid know his taunts weren't welcome.

My two daughters were besides themselves as they said he should have turned the other cheek and walked away. Not in my world....sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and I'd rather my son learn this at 13 than at 23 when someone else is twice as big and more dangerous.

Looking back, I've walked away from two situations that would have ended badly...for me. Smart decisions Stood my ground on a few occasions and called their bluff where they walked away. But, I walked away from one situation where I should have stood my ground and let whatever happen to happen. Always regret that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT