ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Here's what happened. I got on a coffee kick. A HUGE coffee kick. We're talking 3-4 pints (48-64 oz) every workday between 9 am - 12:30 pm. My heart beat like crazy. When climbing stairs, I experienced chest pains.

I've had issues with coffee for over 30 years. I'm not good with lots of caffeine. I never had problems with iced or hot tea.

So I totally got off the coffee. Now, no more chest pains. Zero.

Going in for stress test anyway.
Good idea. I probably drink too much java, but I have never had chest pains from it.

USS_PC-1594.jpg

Thanks for your well-wishes, every one. I'll find out more after the test.

Rain coming down in ATX like crazy. I was asleep until our English Shepherd awakened me. Heh.

Happy National Rocky Road Day!

As much as you walk the stress test should go well.

I had two cousins who lived on the Brazos in Richmond and Rosenberg, TX so I suppose their property is well under the river. The news film looks bad.

• Good Morning, posters & lurkers.
  • 73º in Johns Creek. Beautiful morning. VFR.
  • Blood Sugar = 72. Weight = 222.
  • Good luck to Austin.
  • Dickie Lyons, Sr. worked for us for about a day around 1970.
  • LaGrange. Huh huh huh.
  • Hearing a commercial on Sirius radio for craft Vodka made from corn in Austin. How can you make vodka out of corn? I thought that would be moonshine.
  • Southern Miss won't be easy. About 35-28. We could lose this.
  • Over.

• Good Morning, posters & lurkers.
  • 73º in Johns Creek. Beautiful morning. VFR.
  • Blood Sugar = 72. Weight = 222.
  • Good luck to Austin.
  • Dickie Lyons, Sr. worked for us for about a day around 1970.

• Hearing a commercial on Sirius radio for craft Vodka made from corn in Austin. How can you make vodka out of corn? I thought that would be moonshine.
  • Southern Miss won't be easy. About 35-28. We could lose this.
  • Over.
LaGrange. Huh huh huh.
Rumor spreadin' 'round. FCC

• Enjoying this MacBook Pro.
  • 2nd mug of Dark Magic going.
  • Mack Jones going.
  • Just saw a hawk hauling ass from the feeder with a Mockingbird chasing it. Amazing that that happens.
  • Water lillie blooms close up at night. Back open. Day 2. One more day. They last only 3 days.
  • Oatmeal with banana wheels going.

Don, the hawk/mockingbird reminds me of one of the funniest things I've ever seen. As a kid, we had a little feisty chihuahua. One day she took off chasing a medium sized german shepherd and they both headed away from the house. My first thought was, what she going to do if she catches him. (Be careful what you ask for.)

At the exact same moment, they both stopped, looked at each other and completely reversed direction headed back to the house with the shepherd in pursuit. At this point I stepped up and chased him away. But the site of those two running and then reversing direction still makes me laugh.

Don, the hawk/mockingbird reminds me of one of the funniest things I've ever seen. As a kid, we had a little feisty chihuahua. One day she took off chasing a medium sized german shepherd and they both headed away from the house. My first thought was, what she going to do if she catches him. (Be careful what you ask for.)

At the exact same moment, they both stopped, looked at each other and completely reversed direction headed back to the house with the shepherd in pursuit. At this point I stepped up and chased him away. But the site of those two running and then reversing direction still makes me laugh.
That's funny.

Good morning D
First day of summer break - and we didn't get up until 9! I liked that
Just finished my second mug of coffee
Looking kind of grey out there today - maybe rain?

As you all know, my FIL passed almost 2 months ago. Can't believe it, but his house has already sold - closing is tomorrow morning. Going to be rough on the hubby and the BIL; that's the house they grew up in. Had to be done, but still feeling sad over it. I still miss the old guy's phone calls - bless him, they were random, and usually included a story of him growing up during the Depression. If you were on the phone with him less than 30 minutes, it was a very short call. HIs mind had pretty well gone before the end; he had these ideas in his head and died believing things that weren't true. Jay was a good man, but a hard one. Painfully intelligent - knew something about everything. He started higher education at Evansville, went to Butler, and graduated from UK as a pharmacist. Started three businesses I know of, one of which continued many years before he closed it to work for Gene Snyder. He and Maggie had had three boys, so when our first child was born, and it was a girl, he was over the moon. Our daughter could do nothing wrong - ever. Then his first great grandchild was also a girl, and the daughter of his beloved granddaughter. I'm glad he got to know her before he became sick.

sorry for the ramble - feeling very nostalgic today

Good morning D

As you all know, my FIL passed almost 2 months ago. Can't believe it, but his house has already sold - closing is tomorrow morning. Going to be rough on the hubby and the BIL; that's the house they grew up in. Had to be done, but still feeling sad over it. I still miss the old guy's phone calls - bless him, they were random, and usually included a story of him growing up during the Depression. If you were on the phone with him less than 30 minutes, it was a very short call. HIs mind had pretty well gone before the end; he had these ideas in his head and died believing things that weren't true. Jay was a good man, but a hard one. Painfully intelligent - knew something about everything. He started higher education at Evansville, went to Butler, and graduated from UK as a pharmacist. Started three businesses I know of, one of which continued many years before he closed it to work for Gene Snyder. He and Maggie had had three boys, so when our first child was born, and it was a girl, he was over the moon. Our daughter could do nothing wrong - ever. Then his first great grandchild was also a girl, and the daughter of his beloved granddaughter. I'm glad he got to know her before he became sick.

Ramble on anytime, girl. We like it when our posters ramble. My Paw Paw never believed that man went to the Moon. He thought it was all staged.

Good morning D

Sorry about your FIL's passing. :( Remember the good times, and give your husband a hug.

My sympathies to you & your family. IMO, it is better to take care of some of that business sooner rather than later. My grandmother died in 2008. Her house has sat mostly untouched. My other grandmother died in 1991. Her stuff was placed in storage for 25 yrs then finally sold. Nobody wanted to deal with it all I guess. My dad left behind a car & motorcycle. My brother has them both, but no title for either one.
agreed; when hubby's grandmother died her remaining son (hubby's mother's brother) had responsibility of selling her house (which is huge, btw) and the property it sat on. That was back in 2004 - still hasn't sold, and now it's unsellable. He lives in Florida and never bothered himself with it.

thank you for your condolences

What makes vodka made from corn vodka and not whiskey?

Whiskey is usually aged in white oak barrels to make it smooth. Vodka is basically ethanol. Most bourbon is not distilled at higher proof than 125 or 130 proof. Vodka can be distilled a lot higher. Plus most Bourbon is made of iron free water coming from limestone springs.

Don, don't take this to the bank, but that is the way I understand it.

My grandfather and all before him were distillers; first in England, then in Barbados, then in Virginia and lastly in Kentucky. Here is the only information that I have on his recipe.

My grandpa recorded the birth of his children in an old ATF Manuel. On the back of that page is his record in 1898. His Record of Storekeeper of Registered Distillery #62 that was maintained on a distillery operated by Jesse Higginbotham. Initially the register was maintained by U.S. Internal Revenue storekeepers for its intended purpose of recording the required data on each phase of the operation. One month’s record (January 1898) shows 3,960 pounds of corn, 286 pounds of malt, 176 pounds of rye and an undetermined amount of water was used to produce 4,964 gallons of beer. This amount of beer plus 647 gallons produced the previous month was used to produce 268 gallons of whiskey. The whiskey was packaged in 6 containers (assumed to be barrels) and tax stamps #1120756-1120761 were affixed to the containers. The record does not indicate how the product was marketed. The data indicates that Jesse had 4 fermenting tubs with 1 filled daily. It appears that 180 pounds of corn, 13 pounds of malt, 8 pounds of rye and water to fill the tub (216 gallons).This was allowed to ferment and the tub emptied 4 days later for distilling into approximately 10 gallons of distilled spirits.

I doubt that the recipe would be much different today.

Whiskey is usually aged in white oak barrels to make it smooth. Vodka is basically ethanol. Most bourbon is not distilled at higher proof than 125 or 130 proof. Vodka can be distilled a lot higher. Plus most Bourbon is made of iron free water coming from limestone springs.

Don, don't take this to the bank, but that is the way I understand it.

My grandfather and all before him were distillers; first in England, then in Barbados, then in Virginia and lastly in Kentucky. Here is the only information that I have on his recipe.

My grandpa recorded the birth of his children in an old ATF Manuel. On the back of that page is his record in 1898. His Record of Storekeeper of Registered Distillery #62 that was maintained on a distillery operated by Jesse Higginbotham. Initially the register was maintained by U.S. Internal Revenue storekeepers for its intended purpose of recording the required data on each phase of the operation. One month’s record (January 1898) shows 3,960 pounds of corn, 286 pounds of malt, 176 pounds of rye and an undetermined amount of water was used to produce 4,964 gallons of beer. This amount of beer plus 647 gallons produced the previous month was used to produce 268 gallons of whiskey. The whiskey was packaged in 6 containers (assumed to be barrels) and tax stamps #1120756-1120761 were affixed to the containers. The record does not indicate how the product was marketed. The data indicates that Jesse had 4 fermenting tubs with 1 filled daily. It appears that 180 pounds of corn, 13 pounds of malt, 8 pounds of rye and water to fill the tub (216 gallons).This was allowed to ferment and the tub emptied 4 days later for distilling into approximately 10 gallons of distilled spirits.

I doubt that the recipe would be much different today.
So ......... the proof is in the proof.

I'm still a little confused. Bourbon and whiskey I understand are corn liquor aged in barrels. I thought un-aged distilled corn alcohol was moonshine. I dunno.
After watching Moonshiners I though I understood the process, now I wonder how they determine what the proof will be. If they are not careful they will make vodka I guess.

A Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots

Jeff Foxworthy:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or to take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you MUST show your identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book and rent a video, but not to vote for who runs the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government wants to prevent stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If, in the nation’s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If an 80-year-old woman or a three-year-old girl who is confined to a wheelchair can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion, while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to provide incentives for not working, by granting 99 weeks of unemployment checks, without any requirement to prove that gainful employment was diligently sought, but couldn’t be found — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all plasma screen TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

What a country!
And this folks, Is exactly what Liberalism is. It never works! Please pass this educational moment on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT