ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Science Break:

Combining 30 years worth of observations, and about 15 years worth of data from the Chandra xray telescope, the big brains have made a movie of the evolution of Tycho’s supernova remnant. When the star that created this supernova remnant exploded in 1572, it was so bright that it was visible during the day. Astronomers have observed the debris field from this explosion − what is now known as Tycho’s supernova remnant − using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and many other telescopes. Today, they know that the Tycho remnant was created by the explosion of a white dwarf star, making it part of the so-called Type Ia class of supernovas used to track the expansion of the Universe.
Tychos-Supernova-Remnant-Chandra-Movie-Captures-Expanding-Debris-From-a-Stellar-Explosion.gif

Doesn't look like much does it. But distances in the universe are immense. It is moving at 12 million miles per hour. Since much of the material being flung out from the shattered star has been heated by shock waves − similar to sonic booms from supersonic planes − passing through it, the remnant glows strongly in X-ray light. the expansion from the explosion is still continuing about 450 years since it was first discovered. Our vantage point is roughly 10,000 light years away.
Did you ever write for Star Trek? You could do it.

Cold call yesterday:
Hello, Don, how you doin'?
Who is this?
Marshall Arts.
I don't know you. Why are you calling me? What are you selling?
I'm not selling anything. I have some recommendations for you.
I'm going to hang up now.
Why is that?
(Click)

Did he also ask you if you have Prince Albert in a can? Chuckle chuckle.

A funny thing just happened, I started to post about preceptions and remarks from certain posters in this form. Then I realize, there is no longer the need to do so. It will take a while to adjust to civil posts but I can and will get used to it. Here is a wish for one and all to enjoy fair seas and smooth sailing. Or posting train pictures.

It's much better now that a lady is here with us.
A funny thing just happened, I started to post about preceptions and remarks from certain posters in this form. Then I realize, there is no longer the need to do so. It will take a while to adjust to civil posts but I can and will get used to it. Here is a wish for one and all to enjoy fair seas and smooth sailing. Or posting train pictures.
Good post from a good friend. Fred and I have been around several blocks together. He is the author of "Is this the worst 16-0 team ever." Some loved it, and some .............................

1. Get on the train. I can't say that it was the best experience ever, but it was different. Get a sleeper car. Do it at least once. We stopped our train ride just as we got to the mountains. I wish we would have ridden past Denver.

2. Yeah. Seemed like some in the crowd were encouraging it to continue.

3. Hey BKO.

4. Message board bans are dumb.

5. I'll post where I want to post. Life is too short.

hey 93 - agree with 4 and 5. for sure

Hard for me to imagine being retired because I'm right in the middle of raising my family (I'm 46 with a 12 and 13 YO) and it feels like I'll be working 'til noon the day of my funeral :(
yours are pretty close together - I'm 46 myself, with a 26 yr old, a 19 yr old and an 11 yr old, plus a 20 mo old granddaughter
I feel your pain hon

My oldest uncle lived to be about 90. His obituary was peculiar in this sense. It mentioned his kids and grand kids, and great grand kids, and his mother as survivors. Yes, that's right. She outlived her first born. She died at 104. Bless her old heart.
That is amazing
My grandparents on both sides lived to their 80's with the exception of my paternal grandmother. My grandparents sisters and brothers all lived to their 80's and lived to almost 100. Funny thing is, only one of my 9 aunts and uncles lived to 80 and mseveral died in their late fifties. I don't think I'll make it past 78

I love Nigeria. I ordered my first wife from there. Sadly, she dumped me as soon as she could, muttering something about "ugly old fat man." I wanted someone more exotic than a girl from the Philippines.
I told my wife in '89 that while I surely hoped nothing happened to her, is something did I was moving Chile because the women were so good looking and catered to men. Wasn't the wisest thing I have ever said......

It could be a muscle that was worked too hard. Your electrolytes could be a little low - eat a banana or drink some Gatorade. However, it could be signs of peripheral artery disease. That is how it first started showing up in my dad. A few years later, he had both his legs amputated.

If it doesn't go away, get it checked out.
I hope it is none of the things that you mentioned. QB has them too. Probably need more potassium. Thanks for your opinion except for the peripheral artery disease part and the part about your daddy having to have both of his legs amputated.

Science Break:

Combining 30 years worth of observations, and about 15 years worth of data from the Chandra xray telescope, the big brains have made a movie of the evolution of Tycho’s supernova remnant. When the star that created this supernova remnant exploded in 1572, it was so bright that it was visible during the day. Astronomers have observed the debris field from this explosion − what is now known as Tycho’s supernova remnant − using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and many other telescopes. Today, they know that the Tycho remnant was created by the explosion of a white dwarf star, making it part of the so-called Type Ia class of supernovas used to track the expansion of the Universe.
Tychos-Supernova-Remnant-Chandra-Movie-Captures-Expanding-Debris-From-a-Stellar-Explosion.gif

Doesn't look like much does it. But distances in the universe are immense. It is moving at 12 million miles per hour. Since much of the material being flung out from the shattered star has been heated by shock waves − similar to sonic booms from supersonic planes − passing through it, the remnant glows strongly in X-ray light. the expansion from the explosion is still continuing about 450 years since it was first discovered. Our vantage point is roughly 10,000 light years away.
When can we expect to get microwaved by this? I want to miss filing my tax returns a couple of years before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT