ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Afternoon, jackals. Had lunch today with a former intern of ours. She's a perfect 5. EVERYTHING about her is average, body wise. Average hair, average looks, average body. You couldn't pick her out in a crowd if you tried. She would make a PERFECT special agent.
If you knock the bottom out of it twice, that adds up to a 10.

Your face is gonna be canceled.

c7106e8c-f0c5-44bc-8d12-4fa7bfea8b1b.gif

Afternoon, jackals. Had lunch today with a former intern of ours. She's a perfect 5. EVERYTHING about her is average, body wise. Average hair, average looks, average body. You couldn't pick her out in a crowd if you tried. She would make a PERFECT special agent.

Reminds of a Dave Brockie song "Should the Ugly Girl Blow Me". One of my favorite songs.

She sounds like she has a stunning commitment to mediocrity, basically the UK Football version of a woman.

The ugly girls were the best blowers in HS because they were passionate about it. Like that was their shot. It was all they had, and it was good, but it was very sad, tbh. You know that one chubby chick who just domed up everyone at the party and just wanted to hang with the dudes, be around, and be useful. What a trooper. Bless her soul.

Hot chicks would act like they've never done that before *rolleyes* and their insecurities would hurt their performance. But then there were those hot chicks who were down and they almost always got called up to the big leagues and hung with the old guys who had real money.

Amiright, ladies?

instead of teaching her how to do it, teach her the strategy of sitting next to the smart person and looking at their paper. Best option, really.

When I graduated high school, my good friend Jeffery was the class 'random speaker'. After the valedictorian and selected athlete spoke, the random speaker (selected by drawing a name out of a bucket)always made some remarks. Jeffery told approximately 1200 people that the only way he got his diploma was copying off me. His final sentence was "Man, Terry's name should be on this diploma instead of mine!" The audience cracked up...but the man was speaking truth.

Can't wait for my daughter to learn math. I'm not sure what went wrong. Fifth grade math is hard for her. My nephew, on the other hand,just got 4th place in a state math competition.

Funk or Jed, anybody - what is the secret to teaching this stuff?
Never been a math teacher, but sometimes the light just gets switched on and they start making connections. It literally just happened with my middle boy the other day. He was on a computer program answering questions and using his damn fingers to do 8 x 3 or something. Couple of minutes later, he gets 9 x 3 and goes "Hey, if 8x3 is 24, I just need 3 more, right?" It was a breakthrough kind of thing, for him, and he just took off for the rest of the session.

If it's the so-called common core kind of questions (a bad name for it) then it is just a complete different way of thinking about it. It's not a bad thing, just weird compared to how we learned. The good news is that's she'll be in middle school next year and it's much more straight forward. There's something to just good ol' drill and practice. There is a suite of good iPad apps called quick math that makes it like a game and are pretty cheap. I have mine (he's in 3rd) do them pretty regularly, and it's helping some, I think.

Is there a specific thing she is struggling with? Not that this is reassuring, but my oldest with be in 10th grade precalculus next year, and still has to stop and think on subtraction things ...

Math is weird.

I never got the hang of math. Ever. Tested in the 99th percentile in literature, history, science, and grammar in high school. Math? 45th percentile was my best ever and that was my junior year. DGAF in my senior year. Took algebra my freshman year in college just because I had to, and avoided any kind of math after that.

Never been a math teacher, but sometimes the light just gets switched on and they start making connections. It literally just happened with my middle boy the other day. He was on a computer program answering questions and using his damn fingers to do 8 x 3 or something. Couple of minutes later, he gets 9 x 3 and goes "Hey, if 8x3 is 24, I just need 3 more, right?" It was a breakthrough kind of thing, for him, and he just took off for the rest of the session.

If it's the so-called common core kind of questions (a bad name for it) then it is just a complete different way of thinking about it. It's not a bad thing, just weird compared to how we learned. The good news is that's she'll be in middle school next year and it's much more straight forward. There's something to just good ol' drill and practice. There is a suite of good iPad apps called quick math that makes it like a game and are pretty cheap. I have mine (he's in 3rd) do them pretty regularly, and it's helping some, I think.

Is there a specific thing she is struggling with? Not that this is reassuring, but my oldest with be in 10th grade precalculus next year, and still has to stop and think on subtraction things ...

Math is weird.
She struggles with multiplication. You mentioned your son counting on his fingers, that's her. I didn't think they did enough drilling on it in school. My wife and I have worked with her using flash cards and simple worksheets. She has also been using something called ST math. It looks like a math site for pre-schoolers. The school actually requires that she complete lessons on it.

I'm really hoping for the light bulb to click. I'm gonna check out the quick math program you mentioned. She loves iPad time.

BTW, why did math curriculum change from the way I learned it 40 hrs ago? Seriously, that shit worked. Math from hundreds of years ago worked. Other than writing new text books, I don't see the benefit.

I never got the hang of math. Ever. Tested in the 99th percentile in literature, history, science, and grammar in high school. Math? 45th percentile was my best ever and that was my junior year. DGAF in my senior year. Took algebra my freshman year in college just because I had to, and avoided any kind of math after that.
She does well with reading and writing. Although her standardized test scores don't show it right now. She scored around 25th percentile in everything. She eventual admitted to us that she got tired of taking the test and just filled in bubbles randomly.

BTW, why did math curriculum change from the way I learned it 40 hrs ago? Seriously, that shit worked. Math from hundreds of years ago worked. Other than writing new text books, I don't see the benefit.

Because it actually worked, and teachers these days are forced to teach the new math just because some administrator somewhere had to justify their job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT