ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

And now for something really important ......... how many miles do you get out of your brake pads? I just spent $300.00 for new pads and turning the rotors at the dealer. 60,000 miles. Commuting amounts to 50 miles per day.

Change the oil every 3,000. I used to do 2,000. That's what my dad taught me. I just can't run it 5,000 like they say.

Bout the same for me dondaddy cept I do my own...turn rotors 9 bucks each (front), best ceramic pads about 49.00 (front) about an hour maybe a little more to do...I did oil change every 3500 miles until dealer convinced me I was wasting my money with the synthetic blends. My oil change light comes on every 7000 to change oil, always a synthetic blend of quaker state or pensoil..thought they used kendall but it's quaker state..cost 24.18 for my last oil change,,I can't do it for that

Bout the same for me dondaddy cept I do my own...turn rotors 9 bucks each (front), best ceramic pads about 49.00 (front) about an hour maybe a little more to do...I did oil change every 3500 miles until dealer convinced me I was wasting my money with the synthetic blends. My oil change light comes on every 7000 to change oil, always a synthetic blend of quaker state or pensoil..thought they used kendall but it's quaker state..cost 24.18 for my last oil change,,I can't do it for that
I used to. I know how to do it, but I cannot hunker down anymore. I tried to teach my son and the grandsons how, but it didn't take. I don't know a good auto shop so I just use the dealership and pay those awful prices.

Cut the chord to cable 2 weeks ago. Got the sling tv. Pretty good. I think playstation vue is better. Both work with a Roku device. But I pay $35 even for 50 mbps and $20 for sling. $8 for netflix.

Sling tv is streaming live tv, has all the "good" channels. So my bill went from $160 to $63 and have all the same stuff. I did have to buy my own modem, but got a deal at $50, so it pays for itself after one month. Also, sling gives you a free roku when you buy 3 months in advance.

Been looking to do the same thing. I have to wait another 4 months for my DirectTV contract to expire. I already bought my modem so that will save 10.00 a month starting in about 6 months. I doubt I will save as much as you, but any little bit helps. Internet bill is currently 45.00 per month and Direct TV is 79.00 so I will save maybe 10-15 per month I'm guessing.
Did you get the HD Antenna for local channels?

I used to. I know how to do it, but I cannot hunker down anymore. I tried to teach my son and the grandsons how, but it didn't take. I don't know a good auto shop so I just use the dealership and pay those awful prices.

Tried to teach my boys as well, but they have it in their heads that dad will do it....which I will

And now for something really important ......... how many miles do you get out of your brake pads? I just spent $300.00 for new pads and turning the rotors at the dealer. 60,000 miles. Commuting amounts to 50 miles per day.

Change the oil every 3,000. I used to do 2,000. That's what my dad taught me. I just can't run it 5,000 like they say.

Had my car for just over four years now and have yet to need to do brake pads, of course I've only put about 30k on it. It also helps that it's a manual, of course I'll have to worry about replacing the clutch down the road. It does help extend the brake pad life though.

According to the forecast we are going to have a couple of cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mornings this coming weekend. Dread.

h6FCEFD2D

Had my car for just over four years now and have yet to need to do brake pads, of course I've only put about 30k on it. It also helps that it's a manual, of course I'll have to worry about replacing the clutch down the road. It does help extend the brake pad life though.
I had a '87 Supra that I put about 225,000 miles on and never replaced the clutch. Loved that little car. Its engine was a masterpiece. About 20 mpg.

I had a '87 Supra that I put about 225,000 miles on and never replaced the clutch. Loved that little car. Its engine was a masterpiece. About 20 mpg.

I'm getting about 24 mpg in my Mustang...glad to hear that a clutch replacement isn't in my near future. My brother has a Supra sitting in my grandfathers barn, it needs a lot of work, but runs. Would be an awesome project car for anyone that has the time and money.

I'm getting about 24 mpg in my Mustang...glad to hear that a clutch replacement isn't in my near future. My brother has a Supra sitting in my grandfathers barn, it needs a lot of work, but runs. Would be an awesome project car for anyone that has the time and money.
I wish that I still had the one that I had. I didn't get shit for it. The guy that bought it was still driving it the last I heard.

The timing chain had to be replaced every 80,000 to be on the safe side. Those low profile Goodyear Eagles were expensive too. It was the best driving car that I have ever owned.

Tires for my Mustang are a bit on the expensive side as well. I'll have it paid off soon, and am debating on if I should sell it or keep it since I won't have a payment. Love the car, but would like more money in my pockets as well. Finally got my sports car, so that's checked off my bucket list.

Tires for my Mustang are a bit on the expensive side as well. I'll have it paid off soon, and am debating on if I should sell it or keep it since I won't have a payment. Love the car, but would like more money in my pockets as well. Finally got my sports car, so that's checked off my bucket list.
Drive it if money is a big issue. New cars are the shit though. I am a sucker for new cars, but I would love to have a Sunday driver classic, but we don't have the room for one.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I had an '85 Celica ST. Purchased used in '96 for $3300. Drove around 100,000 miles on it over 5 years. Clutch was slipping when I got rid of it. Awesome car.

Drive it if money is a big issue. New cars are the shit though. I am a sucker for new cars, but I would love to have a Sunday driver classic, but we don't have the room for one.

I wasn't even thinking of buying something new. I was thinking of something more practical to save some money. I would love to get a NEW car, but I would love to not live month to month more.

I still do my own brake work. It's one of the few things a shade tree mechanic can still do anymore. I don't change my own oil any more. It's actually cheaper to have it done nowadays ($16 for my last oil change). Just gotta resist the sales pitch. They'll hand you a list of about a dozen things your car needs done to it (those repairs are how they make their money). The only new cars I ever bought were a 65 Chevy and an 09 Hyundai Sonata (best car I've ever owned). In between I bought other people's problem cars on the cheap, fixed them and drove them till they wore out. That's the way us poors do it.

I still do my own brake work. It's one of the few things a shade tree mechanic can still do anymore. I don't change my own oil any more. It's actually cheaper to have it done nowadays ($16 for my last oil change). Just gotta resist the sales pitch. They'll hand you a list of about a dozen things your car needs done to it (those repairs are how they make their money). The only new cars I ever bought were a 65 Chevy and an 09 Hyundai Sonata (best car I've ever owned). In between I bought other people's problem cars on the cheap, fixed them and drove them till they wore out. That's the way us poors do it.
And there's nothing wrong with it. I have wasted a lot of moolah on ******* cars.

Been thinking about a Hyundai for my next vehicle...not too expensive, stylish and good on gas.

I did one brake job on my first car, and realized after that I probably shouldn't do that again. Forgot to put the clip back on the caliper for the pads and the damn pads fell off going down Nicholasville Rd just inside New Circle. Didn't have an accident so that's good.

Been thinking about a Hyundai for my next vehicle...not too expensive, stylish and good on gas.

I did one brake job on my first car, and realized after that I probably shouldn't do that again. Forgot to put the clip back on the caliper for the pads and the damn pads fell off going down Nicholasville Rd just inside New Circle. Didn't have an accident so that's good.
Glad that incident did not have a tragic ending. You needed a little coaching. And you have to have the right tools. You can find some great deals on tools in a pawnshop.

Glad that incident did not have a tragic ending. You needed a little coaching. And you have to have the right tools. You can find some great deals on tools in a pawnshop.

My step-dad (POS) at the time had taught me how to do them. I was 16 and just wasn't paying attention.
Also put a speaker system in the same car (dodge 600 turbo), and it blew the fuse for the fuel gauge...didn't realize it until I ran out of gas on.....you guessed it, Nicholasville Rd in front of Commonwealth Stadium leaving school one afternoon. I beat the hell out of that car, but looking back it was the perfect car for a young male.

The Sonata has become the choice for old farts in recent years. But it doesn't look specifically like an old farts car. Relatively cheap to buy, 100,000 mile warranty, very comfortable on long trips, very reliable and I've actually gotten up to 36 mpg on trips. I have 140K miles on mine with only a few minor problems.

My step-dad (POS) at the time had taught me how to do them. I was 16 and just wasn't paying attention.
Also put a speaker system in the same car (dodge 600 turbo), and it blew the fuse for the fuel gauge...didn't realize it until I ran out of gas on.....you guessed it, Nicholasville Rd in front of Commonwealth Stadium leaving school one afternoon. I beat the hell out of that car, but looking back it was the perfect car for a young male.

[laughing]

True...I was more concerned with running around, smoking pot, drinking, playing ball. Working on a car just didn't seem that important....learned my lesson.

I did my brakes about six months ago. 130K miles on the original pads by the way. I told my 25 year old grandson who lives down the block that he ought to come down and watch me and he'll be able to save some money. Nope. Playing video games. A couple of weeks ago he said he had to do his brakes (he's a poor too) and, while not asking me to help him, he was giving strong hints. Said that he should have come down to watch me. Didn't fall for it. Told him to check out YouTube.

Last edited:
I did my brakes about six months ago. I told my 25 year old grandson who lives down the block that he ought to come down and watch me and he'll be able to save some money. Nope. Playing video games. A couple of weeks ago he said he had to do his brakes (he's a poor too) and, while not asking me to help him, he was giving strong hints. Didn't fall for it. Told him to check out YouTube.

I watched the step-dad do it, I just didn't pay attention to the details. Still remember that day and the day that I lost the brakes like they were yesterday. The devil is always in the details.

I love cars. Even the boring ones that I own. Dad ran a garage for a longtime and I was there a lot, but never learned anything. Sad about that, but that's how life goes sometimes.

Brake pads are cheaper than clutches.

Tar Heels loss did me some good. Marcus Paige's shot was one of the greatest ever that will be forgotten within a few years. Roy's tears.

I did my brakes about six months ago. 130K miles on the original pads by the way. I told my 25 year old grandson who lives down the block that he ought to come down and watch me and he'll be able to save some money. Nope. Playing video games. A couple of weeks ago he said he had to do his brakes (he's a poor too) and, while not asking me to help him, he was giving strong hints. Said that he should have come down to watch me. Didn't fall for it. Told him to check out YouTube.
130,000 miles on your brake pads leaves me speechless. Some bad drivers get less than 20,000 on a set.

Reactions: UKGrad93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT