ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting the cord question for fellow Kentucky Fans

KFuqua

Sophomore
Oct 24, 2001
Perkiomenville, PA
I'm in the process of cutting the cord and getting rid of the ridiculously expensive Comcast/Xfinity cable. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that would get me Kentucky Basketball here in Pennsylvania? I'm thinking about YouTube TV and seeing what else I need.

Sorry, I know this is sort of off topic, but it is really about me not losing my access to Kentucky games.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: will1976
I test drove YouTubeTV for a few months. I canceled it (because I'm hardly watching reg TV these days) but will turn it back on for the season. Actually, I'll probably break down and turn it back on for the Olympics. I was happy with it though. A negative was that I wasn't a huge fan of the interface through my FireTV and it's limited remote features.

You get a discount your first three months, so my advice (if your primarily only getting it for UK basketball) is to wait til right before the first game.

Also, a great feature of YTTV, is that you can take it with you on your phone. That way you don't have to miss anything when your nephew decides to get married on a Saturday afternoon mega game day.

Last edited:
I'll also endorse YouTubeTV. Used it for years now. It does family sharing so you can split it with others if you want. I know several people that all split a YouTubeTV account to save even more.

I test drove YouTubeTV for a few months. I canceled it (because I'm hardly watching reg TV these days) but will turn it back on for the season. Actually, I'll probably break down and turn it back on for the Olympics. I was happy with it though. A negative was that I wasn't a huge fan of the interface through my FireTV and it's limited remote features.

You get a discount your first three months, so my advice (if your primarily only getting it for UK basketball) is to wait til right before the first game.
We're planning to get rid of cable completely and we do watch other things, so I'm planning to make a move soon. I just wanted to be sure that I would be able to get Kentucky games if I switch.

I think I’m one of the few still using SlingTV. I got the sports package for the SECN and haven’t missed a UK game in the 7+ years of having it. I think it’s one of the cheaper options, even though the price continues to increase on me, but I cancel it after NCAAT and will renew when football starts up. I also only use it for sports.

Pretty much all the streaming services should have you covered for UK games (just make sure it has SECN). Most offer free trails, so check them all out to see which one fits best for you all.

Reactions: KFuqua
We're planning to get rid of cable completely and we do watch other things, so I'm planning to make a move soon. I just wanted to be sure that I would be able to get Kentucky games if I switch.
I started mine halfway through the season last year (I moved) and I don't think I missed any games. Maybe one, but can't remember. There may be some weaker non-conference cupcake games that may not be on YTTV. But others could speak to that better than I.

Thank you! That's the one I'm seriously considering! No trouble seeing Kentucky games?

I've been able to watch every Kentucky game for the last 5 years since switching, no issues whatsoever with access to UK sports. That would be a dealbreaker for me if there were.

Thank you! That's the one I'm seriously considering! No trouble seeing Kentucky games?
Been a YouTubeTV guy for about 3 years. Honestly, you won't even know the difference between cable/dish and streaming. Same type of interface, etc. You will think you're still watching cable TV based on how it looks and how you navigate it. No trouble at all watching UK games.

I'm in the process of cutting the cord and getting rid of the ridiculously expensive Comcast/Xfinity cable. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative that would get me Kentucky Basketball here in Pennsylvania? I'm thinking about YouTube TV and seeing what else I need.

Sorry, I know this is sort of off topic, but it is really about me not losing my access to Kentucky games.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve had YouTubeTV for 7-8 years, living in NC. Not missed any games.

All you need is a smart tv, or a tv that can accept a Roku stick or Firestick.

I arranged the channels so that the SEC network and ESPN are near the top.
YouTube also records every game for me, so if I miss it live I can still watch.
Load the app on your phone and you can watch.

• Love
Been a YouTubeTV guy for about 3 years. Honestly, you won't even know the difference between cable/dish and streaming. Same type of interface, etc. You will think you're still watching cable TV based on how it looks and how you navigate it. No trouble at all watching UK games.
Awesome. Thank you!

I’ve had YouTubeTV for 7-8 years, living in NC. Not missed any games.

All you need is a smart tv, or a tv that can accept a Roku stick or Firestick.

I arranged the channels so that the SEC network and ESPN are near the top.
YouTube also records every game for me, so if I miss it live I can still watch.
Load the app on your phone and you can watch.
Thank you! That's the type of thing I need to hear. My TV will work with it, so that's not a problem. I just wasn't sure if SEC network was there.

Reactions: STL_Cat
YouTubeTV is what I typically go with. Although if you look around, you can usually find a YouTube broadcast of each game that you can watch.

With youtube tv can you still share a plan with family in seperate housholds or locations?
If I heard right you osed to could share up to 3 connections in different places. Is that correct, cause splitting the bill with someone else really seems like the way to go

With youtube tv can you still share a plan with family in seperate housholds or locations?
If I heard right you osed to could share up to 3 connections in different places. Is that correct, cause splitting the bill with someone else really seems like the way to go

Yes you can. Had my mother and mother-in-law set up with our access.

I’ve done YouTube TV for like five years and love it.
I did it for awhile when watching Outlander before I burned out on the show. Did the same thing for TWD before deciding to not watch the last season KNOWING that it was the end of the series. Most of the channels, and sports outside of college basketball and professional baseball/football, I just have no use for.

Thanks in advance!
Sling Orange plus the sports package is probably the cheapest option. That one is 51/month.

They all usually offer a trial period so I'd suggest testing a few before deciding. As you know, you need ESPN and the SEC Network.

We do Hulu + Live. Only negative is don’t get the Ballys channels for Cardinals (or Reds if they’re your thing), but I honestly don’t miss watching baseball. We NEVER watch live TV outside of Cats/Chiefs/NBA. I could probably turn off the live after NBA playoffs and never miss a beat.

We had YTTV for a few yrs and loved it. Upside is you get the Ballys channels there. Our little one got old enough to want the Disney app, so that’s why we switched. I can bundle the Hulu live with ESPN and Disney for about the same as YTTV. A solid to Hulu is I can toggle on NFL Redzone for like $5 or $10 a month during the season. Not sure if that’s an option with YTTV. Whatever you choose, I think you’ll like this way of doing it. No contracts so free to toggle on and off whenever. Free of ridiculous contracts is the way to go. We cut the cord about seven yrs ago and I’m still paying $100 less per month than my last “cable/internet” package.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT