ADVERTISEMENT

Crowds at Rupp Nowadays

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
A couple of years ago I recall reading that the crowds at Rupp were underwhelming. Just wondering from any of those that attend games if the crowds are still perceived as low energy? I haven’t attended a game in several years so I don’t really have an opinion.

FWIW, Andy Katz didn't rate it as a top10 atmosphere in one of his many top10 posts he made leading up to the season, and I'm not even sure Kentucky would be one of the few that just missed the top10. And I think that's kind of sad. UK needs to figure out how to turn a top3 college fanbase into the top3 hardest environment to play in.

In before mention of blue hairs or Duke students section
Neither of those points would be wrong though. The lack of passionate fans in the lower bowl is a huge reason the crowd sucks. They’ll yell at you to sit down if you get too excited.

The first ten or so rows in the lower section need to be students. Put the old rich folks in comfy seats higher up or in boxes. Let the students go nuts all game. Having the Erupption Zone and a tiny sliver of students down low is pathetic.

Horrible for cupcakes.

Fantastic for big games.

Tweener games: subpar conference games and a couple non conference games like Marshall? St Joes? Below average unless the Cats have to make a decent sized comeback.

FWIW: I’ll be at the Marshall game in a couple weeks and I’ll be making noise…. followed by UK@UL football the following day.

Never understood why people get so hyped up to go to big blue madness and then won’t go to actual games no matter who the opponent is. Personally I’d rather watch a real game than a glorified pep rally.
Agreed, but unless you pay the scalpers, tickets to Big Blue Madness is much cheaper, just the ticketmaster fees, or free if/when they bring the campout back.

The excitement level is similar to how it's always been except now a lot less people attend the majority of the games.

Look, everyone always talk about shuffling students' and older folks' seats around. But not an actual, realistic, idea on how to do this. You can't just take seats away from folks that paid a crap ton of money for. Why? Because they aren't rowdy 20 year olds? I'm absolutely all for getting the student section on the sidelines and turning Rupp into a madhouse vs a social event. But how??

Never understood why people get so hyped up to go to big blue madness and then won’t go to actual games no matter who the opponent is. Personally I’d rather watch a real game than a glorified pep rally.
Majority of fans go to big blue madness because it is there only chance at having a great seat for little to no cost. Cupcakes arn't worth the money you have to pay to go see it in the lower levels. Upper level isn't even worth it compared to watching it on TV or streaming it.

Reactions: CB3UK
I have season tickets and go to most games. Like others have said, for the bigger games, the crowd is great. For the smaller games, not so much. Take the New Mexico State game. The upper lever endzones were pretty empty. The lower bowl was fairly full. The upper bowl sidelines were ok. I'd guess about 70% full.

I think the reasons are multiple and have been talked about repeatedly. Big screen tvs with high definition make sitting at home on the couch more appealing. The overall game day experience is lacking. They added the new club to Rupp but that is only for the wealthy who can afford the cost it brings. Lastly, the overall cost is the biggest issue in my mind. Going to games isn't very affordable especially for a family. Concession costs are crazy ($9 for large coke as an example). Parking costs are crazy. The lot on High Street was $20 last year. This year it has been increased to $27. And lastly, the ticket prices are crazy. I sit in section 213 Row U (5 rows from the top if my math is right). The cost for my ticket for TX AM Commerce is $55 per ticket. That ticket should not be that expensive for that game. It needs to be close to $30 IMO. Tickets to some of the lower tier SEC schools are $60. TX AM Commerce isn't close to that level.

Mitch and Rupp really need to make some changes if they want to get attendance up.

Look, everyone always talk about shuffling students' and older folks' seats around. But not an actual, realistic, idea on how to do this. You can't just take seats away from folks that paid a crap ton of money for. Why? Because they aren't rowdy 20 year olds? I'm absolutely all for getting the student section on the sidelines and turning Rupp into a madhouse vs a social event. But how??
There is no way to do it that wouldn't piss off big time donors.

The only way that would even remotely work would be to go the way of Michigan State, who has a great set up. The first 10-ish rows on 75% of the court are for the students. But the seating behind them is raised up so that when the students are standing, you still have a clear view of the court. If you could somehow pull that off on one sideline and both ends, that would be a great atmosphere, but as you say, just a task that will most likely never happen and would take a lot of money to make the seating area like that.

1920px-New_Court_as_of_2016.jpg

msuarena.jpg

Last edited:
It's a pretty easy fix. Move the rich old people from the best seats and put the students there, along with the more loud and passionate fans. But that will never happen due to $$$$$$$.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Like others said it’s more of a big game atmosphere. Early season cupcakes aren’t going generate much excitement, and there seems to be more and more empty seats for those games.

I’ll also just say it’s a lot easier to make a small arena seem “rowdy” vs a 20k+ arena. I think Rupp is what it is at this point. I don’t see much of anything changing without a new arena set up.

Kentucky isn't the only program with donors. If other programs are able to move families and past alum up just 20 rows, why can't we?

Honestly, I'd move them out of principal. "You're going to sit there like it's an afternoon at the opera? Give me those tickets, you can go sit in the rafters".

Kentucky needs to realize that students being at games have a different, but valuble, type of worth that isn't just some 1986 graduate who donates $1,000 a year. Student sections can win games. Winning games can mean march runs.

I'm honestly embarrassed when they show the crowd at a lot of home games. You could mistake it for a packed CYO game, where everyone is just rooting for the players to have fun and enjoy the game. It's that much of a listless crowd, that only gets mention because of it's sheer size. Rupp Arena is a big dog without any bite.

I'd put Rupp against any other facility when it comes to a big game, like others have said, but it's definitely not as ravenous for smaller match-ups.

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT ABOUT THE RUPP CROWD: They don't countdown the shot-clock when it gets to 5 seconds or less. This is a way you can actually help the players on the court. Instead you just "hear" nervous groans from the crowd when a shot needs to be taken.

All that being said, I absolutely love going to the games no matter the match-up.

So, if you can't relocate people, can you use the PA a little more effectively? Maybe make the PA so loud and raucous that some folks get tired of the madness. I'm not saying run good people with deep pockets out intentionally. Financially that doesn't work. But if maybe you get a 15-20% changeover in fans, maybe that's enough to generate more atmosphere. Maybe have the big screens actually telling people to get up. Corny? Maybe? But it would give those that want to stand and go nuts a green light to do so.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
So, if you can't relocate people, can you use the PA a little more effectively? Maybe make the PA so loud and raucous that some folks get tired of the madness. I'm not saying run good people with deep pockets out intentionally. Financially that doesn't work. But if maybe you get a 15-20% changeover in fans, maybe that's enough to generate more atmosphere. Maybe have the big screens actually telling people to get up. Corny? Maybe? But it would give those that want to stand and go nuts a green light to do so.

I'm curious to understand better.. but what exactly ARE the first 30 or so rows of seats for in Rupp? Are they season ticket holders? Or just general admission, but just higher prices than seats in the rafters?

I think Rupp needs to figure out the student sections first, and the "donors" and rich folks second. This is, after all, a college game, and if you ask me, it should be the students who get the prime experience that only lasts for a few years. There's still plenty of great seats and corporate boxes to utilize. And it's not like the students need to have the entire 360 degrees of first 10 rows. There's still a way to give donors half and the students half.

But the student section needs to be more than just 4 sections under one end of the court. It needs to be at least that, and one side of the court, at minimum.

There was at least once section in the upper level that had basically nobody for the season opener on Monday. I don't get to go to Rupp too often, but if that was the season opener, I have to imagine its like that for a lot of cupcakes.

I was a student in 2011 when we beat UNC on the Davis block. I'd put that atmosphere up against any arena for a college basketball game.

A couple of years ago I recall reading that the crowds at Rupp were underwhelming. Just wondering from any of those that attend games if the crowds are still perceived as low energy? I haven’t attended a game in several years so I don’t really have an opinion.
After 1 game?

I have season tickets and go to most games. Like others have said, for the bigger games, the crowd is great. For the smaller games, not so much. Take the New Mexico State game. The upper lever endzones were pretty empty. The lower bowl was fairly full. The upper bowl sidelines were ok. I'd guess about 70% full.

I think the reasons are multiple and have been talked about repeatedly. Big screen tvs with high definition make sitting at home on the couch more appealing. The overall game day experience is lacking. They added the new club to Rupp but that is only for the wealthy who can afford the cost it brings. Lastly, the overall cost is the biggest issue in my mind. Going to games isn't very affordable especially for a family. Concession costs are crazy ($9 for large coke as an example). Parking costs are crazy. The lot on High Street was $20 last year. This year it has been increased to $27. And lastly, the ticket prices are crazy. I sit in section 213 Row U (5 rows from the top if my math is right). The cost for my ticket for TX AM Commerce is $55 per ticket. That ticket should not be that expensive for that game. It needs to be close to $30 IMO. Tickets to some of the lower tier SEC schools are $60. TX AM Commerce isn't close to that level.

Mitch and Rupp really need to make some changes if they want to get attendance up.
Plus most of the team and the Coach are just focused on getting to the NBA and don't really care about UK. Fans notice that and it's not inspiring to cheer for a team whose number one goal isn't winning.

It's a pretty easy fix. Move the rich old people from the best seats and put the students there, along with the more loud and passionate fans. But that will never happen due to $$$$$$$.
The students don't care that much anymore. And how do you determine who the loudest and most passionate fans are? Have a cheer contest?

Kentucky isn't the only program with donors. If other programs are able to move families and past alum up just 20 rows, why can't we?

Honestly, I'd move them out of principal. "You're going to sit there like it's an afternoon at the opera? Give me those tickets, you can go sit in the rafters".

Kentucky needs to realize that students being at games have a different, but valuble, type of worth that isn't just some 1986 graduate who donates $1,000 a year. Student sections can win games. Winning games can mean march runs.

I'm honestly embarrassed when they show the crowd at a lot of home games. You could mistake it for a packed CYO game, where everyone is just rooting for the players to have fun and enjoy the game. It's that much of a listless crowd, that only gets mention because of it's sheer size. Rupp Arena is a big dog without any bite.
I'd be more interested to see if any of these programs that have prime seats for students, have moved donor's/long time season ticket holders after they had prime seats for many years (47 years in our case).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from moving the student section from the corner to the end zone, have the other prime seats always been season ticket holders? UK mad a fundamental decision years ago to prioritize those people.

Other universities made a fundamental decision to prioritize student seating.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I have season tickets, but probably go to 7-8 games a year. I give the rest away. For Big games, Rupp is as good as every (UNC, UT, UL, et al). For bad games, it has always been lacking.

I did go to the NMSU game this week and was SHOCKED at the number of empties. I'm in my 40s, and for most of my life, the uppers and end zones were full; it was the lower sidelines that had empty seats for the lesser games. The other night, there were gigantic sections of empty seats in the upper level. The one end zone had less than five people in the entire section. I don't know what the announced attendance was, but to me, there couldn't have been more than 12,000 people there.

I have season tickets, but probably go to 7-8 games a year. I give the rest away. For Big games, Rupp is as good as every (UNC, UT, UL, et al). For bad games, it has always been lacking.

I did go to the NMSU game this week and was SHOCKED at the number of empties. I'm in my 40s, and for most of my life, the uppers and end zones were full; it was the lower sidelines that had empty seats for the lesser games. The other night, there were gigantic sections of empty seats in the upper level. The one end zone had less than five people in the entire section. I don't know what the announced attendance was, but to me, there couldn't have been more than 12,000 people there.
I think the announced attendance was a little over 18k which seems about right but maybe a little high.

I'd be more interested to see if any of these programs that have prime seats for students, have moved donor's/long time season ticket holders after they had prime seats for many years (47 years in our case).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from moving the student section from the corner to the end zone, have the other prime seats always been season ticket holders? UK mad a fundamental decision years ago to prioritize those people.

Other universities made a fundamental decision to prioritize student seating.

I won't pretend to know the details, plenty of other people will know the ins and outs of Rupp seating, season ticket, etc, more than I will.

But I think it's a mistake if we are strongly prioritizing donors and season ticket holders, at expense for making a proper advantage-inducing student section. Students make the noise and they create the advantage, they should be put up front for at least half of the front rows. The rest of fans can buy the other half or go back 20 rows behind the student section.

It also sounds like Rupp is starting to struggle with tickets sales for families, donors, season ticket holders. Why not then expand the student sections, make it a little more event drive to drive the students to the game in droves. Sure, those tickets might not sell for a lot (they are for the students, after all). But I think it can pay for itself over time in the form of wins.

Reactions: RunninRichie
It also sounds like Rupp is starting to struggle with tickets sales for families, donors, season ticket holders. Why not then expand the student sections, make it a little more event drive to drive the students to the game in droves. Sure, those tickets might not sell for a lot (they are for the students, after all). But I think it can pay for itself over time in the form of wins.
Thanks what I'm saying. Turn it into an event. A Gatsby party. A hot ticket. Not dinner conversation with Jim and Suzie. If it means it isn't to some folks liking, then so be it. It's a college game. It should be a blast.

Thanks what I'm saying. Turn it into an event. A Gatsby party. A hot ticket. Not dinner conversation with Jim and Suzie. If it means it isn't to some folks liking, then so be it. It's a college game. It should be a blast.

Exactly. This is what you pay event staff for. I know two blocks away there are (or were) some fun college bars. Do a block party with them for after the game, have them fund a portion of these tickets. Those bars will make a killing. And if the tickets are like $10 for students, I have to imagine they sell out.

I don't want to shit on the older fans and families.. but you have to figure out that 10 to 15% of the seats for the students. Create that advantage first.

I don't get why the blue / white game never has a big crowd. Tickets are usually $5 or $10 and you can pretty much always get lower arena. And (with exceptions) you get an actual basketball game. Every year I hear people say "Madness is my only chance to get to Rupp" but $5 tickets to a game go unused.

Reactions: ck-2
You guys seem to Labor under the Illusion that games at Rupp are about winning. I assure you to Mitch and the Administration they are about MONEY. There is ZERO chance that any of the big money donors get moved out of thier seats for student,now or ever

Reactions: jauk11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT