ADVERTISEMENT

Crowds at Rupp Nowadays

Sorry....here I come with what I'm sure will be an unpopular post for some people.

Yes, I'm nearly 60, so I've been watching and listening to Kentucky games for a whole lot of years. There's no doubt that the crowds in Rupp are not what they used to be and I see 2 major factors in why attendance for home games is low when not playing big names.

1) Calipari. As much as some of you don't want to admit it, there are huge numbers of Kentucky fans that do not like him and want him out of here. Many of those refuse to attend a game as long as he's coach. And under him, Kentucky basketball isn't much fun to go watch.

2) The one and done. Before one and done became the norm at Kentucky, fans got to know the players. They followed them for years and cried on Senior day when they were preparing to move on. With Cal's one and done philosophy, fans don't have any connection to the rotating cast of players and aren't invested in watching them.

Last edited:
Reactions: know1
Sorry....here I come with what I'm sure will be an unpopular post for some people.

Yes, I'm nearly 60, so I've been watching and listening to Kentucky games for a whole lot of years. There's no doubt that the crowds in Rupp are not what they used to be and I see 2 major factors in why attendance for home games is low when not playing big names.

1) Calipari. As much as some of you don't want to admit it, there are huge numbers of Kentucky fans that do not like him and want him out of here. Many of those refuse to attend a game as long as he's coach. And under him, Kentucky basketball isn't much fun to go watch.

2) The one and done. Before one and done became the norm at Kentucky, fans got to know the players. They followed them for years and cried on Senior day when they were preparing to move on. With Cal's one and one philosophy, fans don't have any connection to the rotating cast of players and aren't invested in watching them.
I agree ,my middle son an avid UK fan since childhood refuses to watch any more UK games till Cal is gone. Cant tell you how many people I have talked to that are SICK of Cal here in Western Ky

Reactions: KFuqua and know1
You guys seem to Labor under the Illusion that games at Rupp are about winning. I assure you to Mitch and the Administration they are about MONEY. There is ZERO chance that any of the big money donors get moved out of thier seats for student,now or ever
As it should be. The students are alloted their endzone and upper level seats. The donors that pay the bills should get something out of it. Take away that money and tuition, sports fees, etc. would all increase substantially.

2) The one and done. Before one and done became the norm at Kentucky, fans got to know the players. They followed them for years and cried on Senior day when they were preparing to move on. With Cal's one and done philosophy, fans don't have any connection to the rotating cast of players and aren't invested in watching them.
You are right....at least in my opinion. The team is (mainly) full of players that want very little to do with the school. Get in and get the hell out. Will not change until Cal is gone. And...that model doesnt work. There are statistics that show the average experience of NCAA championship/final four teams. His model is antiquated but it's all he really knows. Cal isn't winning another championship, and I doubt he advances to the final four. Inexperience, along with his chocking, has left us where we are. I'll still continue supporting the team, but it's going to end badly.

Reactions: know1 and KFuqua
You are right....at least in my opinion. The team is (mainly) full of players that want very little to do with the school. Get in and get the hell out. Will not change until Cal is gone. And...that model doesnt work. There are statistics that show the average experience of NCAA championship/final four teams. His model is antiquated but it's all he really knows. Cal isn't winning another championship, and I doubt he advances to the final four. Inexperience, along with his chocking, has left us where we are. I'll still continue supporting the team, but it's going to end badly.
Curious about your handle; do you work in the UK ortho dept/what capacity? I used to work for Synthes/DePuy there on occasion covering trauma cases in the O.R. for the regular rep there when he was on vacation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT