ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Fans vs Rupp

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
I’ve been watching some NBA lately and it amazes me how rowdy those crowds get for a pro sports team and I’ll never understand why the Rupp crowd cannot be like that on a nightly basis. You would think college basketball fans would be more excited about their team but it turns out NBA fans are more rowdy. People have talked about it before but changes need to happen at Rupp. It seems like the students just don’t care anymore and hardly even go to the games.

I’ve been watching some NBA lately and it amazes me how rowdy those crowds get for a pro sports team and I’ll never understand why the Rupp crowd cannot be like that on a nightly basis. You would think college basketball fans would be more excited about their team but it turns out NBA fans are more rowdy. People have talked about it before but changes need to happen at Rupp. It seems like the students just don’t care anymore and hardly even go to the games.

The passion for UK basketball has decreased massively over the last few years. Almost a decade without a FF appearance seems to have deflated the excitement for the program. Until expectations are returned to the top, I don’t think there’s anything can be done to make Rupp rowdy for UNCW losses.

The passion for UK basketball has decreased massively over the last few years. Almost a decade without a FF appearance seems to have deflated the excitement for the program. Until expectations are returned to the top, I don’t think there’s anything can be done to make Rupp rowdy for UNCW losses.
I don't buy this excuse. Rupp has been severely lacking in atmosphere for ages now. When's the last time Arkansas made it to the FF? Their crowds are off the charts. Rupp just sucks and a good portion of why is who sits in the lower bowl.

If you can't get rowdy for a team that hasn't made the FF in eight tournaments then what kind of fanbase are you?

I don't buy this excuse. Rupp has been severely lacking in atmosphere for ages now. When's the last time Arkansas made it to the FF? Their crowds are off the charts. Rupp just sucks and a good portion of why is who sits in the lower bowl.

If you can't get rowdy for a team that hasn't made the FF in eight tournaments then what kind of fanbase are you?

Arkansas doesn’t expect to make it and there’s nothing else to do there. They view it as a party because they don’t give af about a loss and having anything to do is exciting. It’s only a college town. Lexington is a major city.

While I’m sure adding youth to the lower levels at Rupp, it’s hard to blend “act like you’ve been there before” with “get wild and lose your minds” to an underwhelming performance against a mid major team. Rupp can still rock when the program is strong and opponents are solid.

I have season tix to the Suns and it’s infinitely better than Rupp. Yes, a lot of it’s the fans, but Rupp/UK themselves could make more of an effort to engage the crowd and make it an event. Being off campus is also a big reason. IIRC, just prior to Pitino’s exit, he was rumored to be lobbying for a 30,000 seat on-campus arena according to the local Lex media. In hindsight, that would’ve been amazing

As far as experience, it’s much more entertaining to go to a Pacers game. Love the experience. The experience at Rupp is tired and dull. I go because I love UK- but the experience could be better.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I don't watch the NBA, so I can't comment on the crowds there, but the reason that Kentucky fans aren't really excited is because of the coach. He's terrible at his job, cannot coach and encourages yearly roster rebuilding. UK fans love their program, their players and the tradition of Kentucky basketball and Cal has done his best to destroy the program. When we are finally rid of him; things will get better.

Let's be real, a lot of it comes down to how good the team is, and who they are playing.
As someone who grew up in the Chicago area, huge Bulls fan. Used to go frequently to the United Center during D-Rose's prime when the Bulls had the best record in the East back to back years (2011 and 2012). The place was electric.....

Now...the place has been a morgue the past 5+ yrs, and has gotten worse with Billy D coaching. The team sucks, and the atmosphere blows. Feel like this is pretty common across all sporting venues.

The only NBA game I've ever been to was a first round game in Miami for the Heat v Bucks when Lebron/Wade/Bosch were playing. It was the opening game of the series where the Heat were heavy favorites, and I was expecting a pretty tame atmosphere. What I got was a nearly sold out arena, an amazing, high end pregame intro with the flames and all, and it was loud...really LOUD. Louder than any game I'd ever been to in Rupp. The seats were in the lower rows of the 2nd level, but it felt like we were right on top of the court. Overall from the concessions to the game atmosphere and activities, it was in a completely different universe from Rupp.

Arkansas doesn’t expect to make it and there’s nothing else to do there. They view it as a party because they don’t give af about a loss and having anything to do is exciting. It’s only a college town. Lexington is a major city.
You obviously haven’t been on Arkansas message boards after a loss lol.

FWIW the Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville) MSA population is higher than Lexington-Fayette, but obviously having places like Louisville and Cincinnati so close by is something Arkansas doesn’t have (unless you count Tulsa).

The only NBA game I've ever been to was a first round game in Miami for the Heat v Bucks when Lebron/Wade/Bosch were playing. It was the opening game of the series where the Heat were heavy favorites, and I was expecting a pretty tame atmosphere. What I got was a nearly sold out arena, an amazing, high end pregame intro with the flames and all, and it was loud...really LOUD. Louder than any game I'd ever been to in Rupp. The seats were in the lower rows of the 2nd level, but it felt like we were right on top of the court. Overall from the concessions to the game atmosphere and activities, it was in a completely different universe from Rupp.
Well naturally an NBA playoff game, especially one that included the big 3 from Miami, is going to have a great atmosphere. It's the playoffs. Comparing that to a run of the mill game at Rupp isn't a good comparison.

Rupp was outstanding against Miami, just like it is for all big time games. Also, to make your comparison more realistic, imagine UK playing at Rupp in the NCAA Tourney, the place would be on fire. Heck, the atmosphere at the SEC Tourney for UK games is great.

I have season tix to the Suns and it’s infinitely better than Rupp. Yes, a lot of it’s the fans, but Rupp/UK themselves could make more of an effort to engage the crowd and make it an event. Being off campus is also a big reason. IIRC, just prior to Pitino’s exit, he was rumored to be lobbying for a 30,000 seat on-campus arena according to the local Lex media. In hindsight, that would’ve been amazing
It damn sure would’ve been! Honestly think that played a role in him ultimately leaving in 1997. Truly believe if they would’ve built on campus arena he would’ve stayed. JMO.

I don't watch the NBA, so I can't comment on the crowds there, but the reason that Kentucky fans aren't really excited is because of the coach. He's terrible at his job, cannot coach and encourages yearly roster rebuilding. UK fans love their program, their players and the tradition of Kentucky basketball and Cal has done his best to destroy the program. When we are finally rid of him; things will get better.
It’s simple: with Cal, the program comes last. That’s just the truth.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Well naturally an NBA playoff game, especially one that included the big 3 from Miami, is going to have a great atmosphere. It's the playoffs. Comparing that to a run of the mill game at Rupp isn't a good comparison.

Rupp was outstanding against Miami, just like it is for all big time games. Also, to make your comparison more realistic, imagine UK playing at Rupp in the NCAA Tourney, the place would be on fire. Heck, the atmosphere at the SEC Tourney for UK games is great.
I'm comparing it to any game I've been to in Rupp, including big games against University Six (when they still had a program), UNCheats, and big SEC games against top 10 teams. This was an opening round NBA best of 5 series against the Bucks, who were the lowest seed.

Let's be real, a lot of it comes down to how good the team is, and who they are playing.
As someone who grew up in the Chicago area, huge Bulls fan. Used to go frequently to the United Center during D-Rose's prime when the Bulls had the best record in the East back to back years (2011 and 2012). The place was electric.....

Now...the place has been a morgue the past 5+ yrs, and has gotten worse with Billy D coaching. The team sucks, and the atmosphere blows. Feel like this is pretty common across all sporting venues.
Chicago had one of the best productions pre game. That bull character coming down from the rafters on a rope to Metallica or something was awesome.

Lexington is a major city.
Uh, no it's not. Maybe if you're coming from the Appalachia side. Lexington is significantly smaller than either Louisville or Cincy (depending on how you're classifying size). Lexington isn't a bad or small town, but it's not exactly a metropolitan mecca. Lexington's advantage to be a draw for events is there really is a void for that kinda thing to the East and SE.

Uh, no it's not. Maybe if you're coming from the Appalachia side. Lexington is significantly smaller than either Louisville or Cincy (depending on how you're classifying size). Lexington isn't a bad or small town, but it's not exactly a metropolitan mecca. Lexington's advantage to be a draw for events is there really is a void for that kinda thing to the East and SE.
It’s a major city compared to Fayetteville.

Lexington population is 320K+ and Fayetteville is 95K. Arkansas has 26K students compared to 30K for UK.

In other words Arkansas University students account for almost 30% of the cities population. UK students account for less than 10% of Lexingtons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT