ADVERTISEMENT

Could it help us with Knox if diallo leaves?

Knox is making his decision the first week of May so he won't know if Diallo will return.Doubt he comes here.

Knox's dad said Cal's pitch was he will play 2G. Why would he sell Knox at 2G if Diallo was slotted for that position. Cal knew Diallo was leaving so he is selling Knox at 2G amd Johnson at SF.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Maybe it was because Diablo can't shoot and st 6'6 is better suited to play the 3 for us while Knox would be the 2?

Reactions: spotter34
Assuming Diallo is a one and done, what harm is it to put his name in the draft , especially if Knox believes that opens a spot for him?

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but I can see where Cal could see an upside to the overall recruiting process for Diallo to test the waters and would encourage him to do so - along with of course, if Diallo can go pro, he should.

I know we rag on the Crystal Ball -- but Andrew Slater -- who's one of the best predictors.. changed his CB pick to Duke yesterday after Knox released a tentative announcement date -- not good

Reminds me of Bolden last season.Didn't Slater keep changing his pick for him last season?

Yea, he trolled UK then switched to Duke all in 3-4 days.

Of course everyone will say recruiting is fluid & he wasn't trolling. Bull...they like to stir buzz & generate click bait

Reactions: madison1329
I think that if Cal knew that Diallo was leaving, he would have played him during the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

You can enter the draft as many times as you want, so honestly I'm surprised that every player who ever has a dream of playing in the NBA doesn't do it each year.

Reactions: wromanp7
If Diallo leaves take the transfer from New Mexico. Only be here for one year and is a proven scorer and would provide senior leadership.

More than likely if Diallo stays in the draft it would help us with Cam Johnson. I don't anticipate Diallo staying in the draft though.

Does anyone really believe Diallo is going to be on anyones draft board in the first round? Didn't think so. Kid will be in Lexington next season.

Chill

it wouldn't surprise me if he is. Seems like the draft is as much on potential as it is known quantity when it come to one and dones

Cal has never said Knox will play the 2. He has told the Knox camp that he would fill the role of Monk which means he would have the green light, so to speak, to create and generate the offense like Monk and Murray both did the last two years. Who cares if it's from the 2 or the 3? They're the same in Cal's offense.

I don't view the players as being owned by Kentucky or even owing Kentucky.
I view them more so through the lens as if they're my own child... and what would I want for them?
The best. Whatever that may be.

And then, if they suit up for Kentucky... I pull for them as individuals as well as the team.

I can't find fault in anyone respectfully and honorably chasing their dreams.

Why would it surprise anyone for Hami to go first round?
He was a projected top 5 player in his class and mocked high early.

He's only projected in the 20s in next year's weaker draft. He could be a first rounder this year, but he will have to show out.

Reactions: Crankdatmustard
On the Knox thing, Cal has pitched him as a 2 for a long time.

I view them more so through the lens as if they're my own child... and what would I want for them?

And then, if they suit up for Kentucky... I pull for them as individuals as well as the team.

That's the best way to look at it. These kids, like it or not, don't dream about playing for Kentucky. They dream about playing in the NBA. They look back and love their time here but it was just a place that helped them achieve their dream.

Reactions: wromanp7
On the Knox thing, Cal has pitched him as a 2 for a long time.

I've heard Knox and his dad say that Cal has told them that he planned on using him like he did Monk this year, and Murray the year before. If people want to believe this means he's going to play the two then so be it, but to me it just means that Cal plans to have Knox on the perimeter.

Reactions: Aike
Is Knox that good of a shooter that he can play the SG at UK ? I have not see him much but I remember lot of people saying that Diallo could not shoot that well. I think Diallo will stay in the draft & I think that is sad as he never played at UK.

Reactions: Jim Sauer
Cal has never said Knox will play the 2. He has told the Knox camp that he would fill the role of Monk which means he would have the green light, so to speak, to create and generate the offense like Monk and Murray both did the last two years. Who cares if it's from the 2 or the 3? They're the same in Cal's offense.
Exactly. Cal has told him to watch monk to see how he'd be used all year. Diallo's official position is the 2 but Knox is more like Monk in that he's an aggressive scorer and that would be his offensive role, regardless of Diallo's decision.

Yeah but Thon Maker is 7' tall and a freak athlete. Big difference in 7' and 6'5"

That's really only a valid argument if they are playing the same position. 7 foot and super athletic is great for a 4/5. 6'5/6'6 and super athletic is great for an NBA 2. John wall is only 6'4, does that mean he was a worst draft pick than Greg Monroe because he was 7 inches shorter?

Hasn't Cal said multiple times that 8 players are leaving? If he says 8 are leaving, one of either Bam or Diallo is coming back.

I wish so many more on this board would look at things in this light. If they did they would realize how absurd some of their opinions are.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Yeah, I just saw Gary Parish article where a NBA scout tells him he will be a first round selection if he stays in.

Crap.

O well. Nothing we can do about it. Just have to wait and see.

Adam Zagoria said he was told by "multiple NBA execs" that Diallo may get drafted as a 2nd rounder as a flier and that one told him, when asked if Diallo would even get drafted, "I don't think so but crazier things have happened."

I'm not worried.

Reactions: bookerfan66
Knox's dad said Cal's pitch was he will play 2G. Why would he sell Knox at 2G if Diallo was slotted for that position. Cal knew Diallo was leaving so he is selling Knox at 2G amd Johnson at SF.

I think the selling point wasn't that he would solely be a 2G, but instead that he would be able to play some 2G, and some SF, and some PF. So he (Knox) wouldn't be blocked by a position and if he performed would get his minutes. Also we NEEDED another 2G (other than Diallo).

I think that if Cal knew that Diallo was leaving, he would have played him during the SEC and NCAA tournaments.
False. Diallo is far better off having not played to protect the unknown factor in his draft status. Playing could have only hurt his draft stock unless he killed it out there.

ADVERTISEMENT