ADVERTISEMENT

Constantly outcoached

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely disagree. There’s more bowl games, yes, but you still have to get to 6 wins. UK football almost never does that consistently.

Look I don’t think Stoops is the best HC, his in game management certainly needs some work, but recruiting is half the battle. You do realize if we fired Stoops at the end of the season, players would leave, recruits would decommit, and we’d be rebuilding for 3-4 years? All to hire someone that is unproven in recruiting. Recruiting is Stoops’ biggest strong point, and the bottom line is you gotta recruit to make it in this league first and foremost. Period.

Dude, he’s bringing in recruiting classes ranked in the 30’s. That’s not exactly lighting it up. If recruiting classes ranked in the 30’s are the main reason we’re hanging on to him then that’s pretty dang pathetic. I assure you a halfway competent AD could find another coach capable of bringing in classes ranked in the 30’s, and who knows, maybe he could actually coach and develop guys a little too.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I replied to the comment of the 2007 team playing in a playoff. Used their two bad losses to say that was way out of left field. Never mentioned anything about current team.

Look at post i replied too

Dude, he’s bringing in recruiting classes ranked in the 30’s. That’s not exactly lighting it up. If recruiting classes ranked in the 30’s are the main reason we’re hanging on to him then that’s pretty dang pathetic. I assure you a halfway competent AD could find another coach capable of bringing in classes ranked in the 30’s, and who knows, maybe he could actually coach and develop guys a little too.

It’s all about perspective. To think a UK coach can just come in and slap together top 20 classes is unrealistic when there hasn’t been consistent high level success here ever. That’s like an Ole Miss basketball fan expecting top 10 recruiting classes every year. Try to gain a little perspective. If you want a great coach that coaches shitty players then by all means let’s keep being the same mediocre program we’ve been my entire life. I’ll take the talent first.

I replied to the comment of the 2007 team playing in a playoff. Used their two bad losses to say that was way out of left field. Never mentioned anything about current team.

Look at post i replied too

The point of that comment was that the win total of 2017 is not equal to the quality of the win total of 2007, and that despite similar records the 2007 team would have done much better than the 2017 team did with the same schedule and the 2017 team would have struggled with 2007 schedule.

Reactions: morgousky
After reading this thread I see that most everyone is dancing around the the reality of our situation.Stoops is not a world beater by any means but go back to Claiborne and come forward, name a coach that we have had who was markedly better.Hell, go on back to Bradshaw and name one.

Maybe Brooks was better but he was about our 3rd or 4th choice.We are what we are and we attract the level of coaches we attract.That isn't going to change with the next hire or the one after that or the one after that

The irony of posts like these is the fact that when we go to another bowl game this year, Stoops will join Rich Brooks and Bear Bryant as the only coaches to go to three bowl games here. In the history of Kentucky football. Some of you are just absolutely miserable and enjoy being so.
Agreed! Stoop's has a great "Bowl Movement" going on here!!

Kentucky fans are so warped they cannot enjoy a win. I'm guilty of that myself. Is that part of the culture that needs to change?

Reactions: UK Cats Rock
So Stoops isn't recruiting good classes and he can't coach guys up but somehow UK will have as many as 5 or 6 guys drafted next year.

Kentucky fans are so warped they cannot enjoy a win. I'm guilty of that myself. Is that part of the culture that needs to change?

I think that is a somewhat good thing. If you sit back and just try and enjoy everything that is given to you maybe you become complacent. We always find faults in basketball and we expect things can always be better. That is why we are the top program in the sport.

So Stoops isn't recruiting good classes and he can't coach guys up but somehow UK will have as many as 5 or 6 guys drafted next year.

What if he does have 5 or 6 drafted but we only win 5 or 6 games? Would you be happy with one win per draft pick and only going to a mediocre bowl or missing out on one? Wouldn't that be underachieving?

What if he does have 5 or 6 drafted but we only win 5 or 6 games? Would you be happy with one win per draft pick and only going to a mediocre bowl or missing out on one? Wouldn't that be underachieving?

Won 7 the last 2 seasons and are 1-0 this year. Don't see why he doesn't win 7 again this year.

He won 7 last year with ZERO draft picks. Overachieving?

You shouldn't blanket everything as equal. Its disingenuous. That 07 team would have been playing for a playoff spot with Stoops schedule. And if you took Stoops team last year and placed them in 07, the might win 3 or 4 games. It's just not true that these things are equal.

In not paid to hire UK's coach. . Stoops is a waste of time, we're just stuck in neck deep water hoping we don't drown. That's not good enough with our recources. And maybe the next coach will show you guys that.
Get over your self,As a fan my job is to evaluate the hires and form an opinion.This is hysterical.

After reading this thread I see that most everyone is dancing around the the reality of our situation.Stoops is not a world beater by any means but go back to Claiborne and come forward, name a coach that we have had who was markedly better.Hell, go on back to Bradshaw and name one.

Maybe Brooks was better but he was about our 3rd or 4th choice.We are what we are and we attract the level of coaches we attract.That isn't going to change with the next hire or the one after that or the one after that
Remember when Brooks was hired,NO ONE WANTED HIM,now he's a savior.

Fact=we looked bad, really bad against an awful team.
This is not a fact though. What game did you watch? UKs defense was pretty damn good, the run game was awesome and the O line for the most part held up well. The turnovers obviously need to be cleaned up but saying we looked really bad is not based in reality, IMO.

Doesn’t matter the opponent. Sick of it and tired of the excuses. Horrible game planning and horrible discipline. Stoops didn’t even say a word to Westry. A real coach would have ripped him a new one right there on the sideline.

No more coaches who have never been head coaches before, for on the job training, please. UK needs some organized guys who can actually coach football.
From the timestamp of this post it is obvious that you posted this shortly after Westry's penalty. Did it ever come to you that Westry left the field and never went to the sidelines after the penalty? Was Stoops to follow him to the locker room with camera's in tow so that you could witness what was to be said and how it was said?
Chris sees less playing time as a senior than he did as a freshman. He may see even less now. That speaks pretty loudly.

So UK should have higher standards for hiring coaches than Georgia, Tennessee, Florida...would you like the entire gamut of schools who have hired first time coaches? Pretty stupid comment especially seeing that Stoops now has 5+ years experience as a head coach.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
From the timestamp of this post it is obvious that you posted this shortly after Westry's penalty. Did it ever come to you that Westry left the field and never went to the sidelines after the penalty? Was Stoops to follow him to the locker room with camera's in tow so that you could witness what was to be said and how it was said?
Chris sees less playing time as a senior than he did as a freshman. He may see even less now. That speaks pretty loudly.

So UK should have higher standards for hiring coaches than Georgia, Tennessee, Florida...would you like the entire gamut of schools who have hired first time coaches? Pretty stupid comment especially seeing that Stoops now has 5+ years experience as a head coach.

Westry went directly over to Stoops and stood a foot away from him and Stoops turned and looked away and refused to talk to him. Very clearly shown on TV.

Doesn’t matter the opponent. Sick of it and tired of the excuses. Horrible game planning and horrible discipline. Stoops didn’t even say a word to Westry. A real coach would have ripped him a new one right there on the sideline.

No more coaches who have never been head coaches before, for on the job training, please. UK needs some organized guys who can actually coach football.

So what is the solution to the position you find yourself in?

A) Quit watching
B) Find another team
C) Get yourself hired as either HC or AD
D) Call Stoops radio show tomorrow night and straighten him out
E) Hire Stoops a tutor
F) Shut up and watch
G) Get a bottle of Maalox and some blood pressure pills
H) Almost all of the above

Westry was standing right next to Stoops on the sideline before he had to leave the field. Stoops said nothing.

The disappointing thing in the win was the play calling. Seems like some old, same old. I'm not a football guru by any means but there have always been plenty of headscratchers under CMS. And maybe more than just that, but also the plays that aren't called for guys like Conrad.

Some of you guys smarter than me will have to tell me how the screen back to the inside that Bowden fumbled on would ever have much success.

The CMS approach to both offense and defense seems likely to have minimal success with his level of recruiting which has been ok compared to historical standards.

But we continue to hope. The only good choice we have.

Reactions: Cats78
It’s all about perspective. To think a UK coach can just come in and slap together top 20 classes is unrealistic when there hasn’t been consistent high level success here ever. That’s like an Ole Miss basketball fan expecting top 10 recruiting classes every year. Try to gain a little perspective. If you want a great coach that coaches shitty players then by all means let’s keep being the same mediocre program we’ve been my entire life. I’ll take the talent first.

A majority of our fans have no perspective.

I did some research earlier. There hasn't been a UK coach to finish his time at UK with a >.500 winning pct since Blanton Collier hung up his clipboard in 1961...that's damn near 60 years and 10 coaching changes.

Stoops is currently sitting right around Hal Mumme numbers as far as winning pct goes. If this season goes well, he will be up around Rich Brooks numbers.

People are going to say, "yeah but we shoulda..." and I'm thinking Brooks and every other coach over that 60 year span probably thought they shoulda won a few more too. That's why they play the game.

Mostly I just think it's this generation. Fans act like they are owed a victory, and if they don't get it, well then Katie bar the door. It's an all out bitch-fest. Weird. Once upon a time, people understood that games have winners and losers...

Reactions: rupp876 and ConRay9
A majority of our fans have no perspective.

I did some research earlier. There hasn't been a UK coach to finish his time at UK with a >.500 winning pct since Blanton Collier hung up his clipboard in 1961...that's damn near 60 years and 10 coaching changes.

Stoops is currently sitting right around Hal Mumme numbers as far as winning pct goes. If this season goes well, he will be up around Rich Brooks numbers.

People are going to say, "yeah but we shoulda..." and I'm thinking Brooks and every other coach over that 60 year span probably thought they shoulda won a few more too. That's why they play the game.

Mostly I just think it's this generation. Fans act like they are owed a victory, and if they don't get it, well then Katie bar the door. It's an all out bitch-fest. Weird. Once upon a time, people understood that games have winners and losers...

I can understand the people that aren't big Mark Stoops fans. A coach shouldn't just have blind allegiance. I'm fine with people having negative opinions about him even if I disagree. Stoops has his flaws but I still believe in the direction, as of right now, of this program. That can change but I'm not letting myself be so easily swayed like many here.

What I don't understand are the fans that choose to ignore any form of success he has, and think solving a program's problems can be done just by firing a coach. There's almost no program that becomes better off in the immediate future after firing a coach. AT BEST we'd have a rebuilding process of 3-4 years. Not to mention we'd have NO idea if the new coach would be any good. That's a recipe for rinse, cycle, and repeat at mediocrity.

Reactions: UK Cats Rock

What an inspiring vision.

What an inspiring vision.
I think it is a vision of history and current reality,it makes as much sense as those who are always ready to get the pitch forks and torches ready and head over to the Stoops' house and blame him for everything from getting stuck in traffic to buying a bad hot dog at the game.

Name a coach since Bradshaw who has had done better.Yes I know what Curci did in 76' and 77' but how did that end. I wish we were winning 8,9,or 10 games a year but we haven't done that many times in the past 60 years.

We are what we are until we are something different,history tells us that is more likely to be worse than it is better relative to the past two years.

Attendance is declining over most of college football,being in the SEC is both a blessing and a curse.We get to share in the revenue pot but it is almost impossible for us to compete on a regular basis.

Have I inspired you to explain how my assessment of UK football is wrong.

The disappointing thing in the win was the play calling. Seems like some old, same old. I'm not a football guru by any means but there have always been plenty of headscratchers under CMS. And maybe more than just that, but also the plays that aren't called for guys like Conrad.

Some of you guys smarter than me will have to tell me how the screen back to the inside that Bowden fumbled on would ever have much success.

The CMS approach to both offense and defense seems likely to have minimal success with his level of recruiting which has been ok compared to historical standards.

I agree with much of your post..Some plays are called to set up other plays,Stoops seems to play not to lose more than he plays to win. Trying not to make the big mistake is sometimes the bigger mistake.

Stoops is from a football family,sometimes I think that limits his willingness to think outside the box.He goes the conventional wisdom route when the chips are down.I think he hasn't had the talent here that allows him to roll the dice,he has more this year than he has had here in the past.Maybe he will adjust to that a bit as the season progresses but I'm not counting on it.

I agree with much of your post..Some plays are called to set up other plays,Stoops seems to play not to lose more than he plays to win. Trying not to make the big mistake is sometimes the bigger mistake.

Stoops is from a football family,sometimes I think that limits his willingness to think outside the box.He goes the conventional wisdom route when the chips are down.I think he hasn't had the talent here that allows him to roll the dice,he has more this year than he has had here in the past.Maybe he will adjust to that a bit as the season progresses but I'm not counting on it.

The conservative play calling yesterday isn’t an issue, gutsy play calling wasn’t needed to beat CMU and it would only give UF video to plan for.

The conservative play calling at key points in games is what burns me up. The MSU game last year comes to mind right before half.
3rd and less than 1 and we miss on a pass trying to catch them expecting a run. Fine, but you only make that play if you intend to go for it on 4th. Instead we punt it, they score before half, get the ball out of halftime and score again, games effectively over. A 10-7 game goes to 24-7 before the Cats get the ball again. The rout was on after that because we couldn’t use the run game to eat up clock and keep the ball out of their hands.

The conservative play calling yesterday isn’t an issue, gutsy play calling wasn’t needed to beat CMU and it would only give UF video to plan for.

The conservative play calling at key points in games is what burns me up. The MSU game last year comes to mind right before half.
3rd and less than 1 and we miss on a pass trying to catch them expecting a run. Fine, but you only make that play if you intend to go for it on 4th. Instead we punt it, they score before half, get the ball out of halftime and score again, games effectively over. A 10-7 game goes to 24-7 before the Cats get the ball again. The rout was on after that because we couldn’t use the run game to eat up clock and keep the ball out of their hands.
Agree about yesterday,when we got down 17-7 he rolled the dice to get us back in the game. Stoops has the close to the vest mentality in just about any close game even when we are over matched in SEC

I tend to believe it is Stoops rather than Gran.Stoops clock management has always been suspect at times although I thought he did well in that area yesterday.

Well that's where your problem is. Mediocre coaches have done nothing here. Look what we did with Brooks and all of his very good assistants. They didn't recruit as good as we are, yet they brought in many more recruits that blew up here. They taught them how to be much better football players. They also took a 4 star QB and turned him into a successful SEC caliber player. How many 4 star QB's has Stoops had success with?

After Brooks retired, Joker takes over and cleans house to get better recruiters and you see what happened with a guy with no experience who put recruiting first. We need a guy who can coach up lesser players first and foremost and then recruiting will improve with those results. We can't do the on the job training here anymore.
Wasn't Josh Allen a 2 star? Jus sayin

May I approach the bench? Stoops is already ahead of Brooks numbers at this point in his career. In fact, if the Cats only go 4-12 combined in the SEC in this season and next they will have the same record vs SEC teams through 7 years - the duration of Brooks tenure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rembrandt90
You shouldn't blanket everything as equal. Its disingenuous. That 07 team would have been playing for a playoff spot with Stoops schedule. And if you took Stoops team last year and placed them in 07, the might win 3 or 4 games. It's just not true that these things are equal.

In not paid to hire UK's coach. As a fan my job is to evaluate the hires and form an opinion. Stoops is a waste of time, we're just stuck in neck deep water hoping we don't drown. That's not good enough with our recources. And maybe the next coach will show you guys that.

Let's face it. As a fan you don't have a job with this team, you just think you do.

Here is a recent blurb from JRowland:

"Moment of honesty
Some of the hand-wringing is pitiful, lazy, ungrateful and predictably jaded. I remember stretches of entire seasons when people would almost die to see UK outgain a team by 180 yards and win comfortably -4 in TO margin."

Not sure but I think he was talking about you.

LOL

Reactions: mrschwump

I don't know... I've seen inside screens go for big yardage quite a bit. Hal Mumme used to run them all the time. Blocks have to be made.

People who complain about the play calling forget the first half of the So. Miss game 2 years ago when Drew Barker started. They threw the ball around quite a bit that first half until Drew got hurt. Stephen Johnson couldn't run that offense. Terry Wilson isn't a great passer either. They will throw 35-40% of the time to keep the defense honest but the strength of the team is running the ball so why wouldn't they do it?

Reactions: jauk11

In not paid to hire UK's coach. As a fan my job is to evaluate the hires and form an opinion. Stoops is a waste of time, we're just stuck in neck deep water hoping we don't drown. That's not good enough with our recources. And maybe the next coach will show you guys that.

LOL

Care to exaggerate much? That team that finished 3-5 in the SEC would have been in a playoff spot with Stoops schedule? That team that had an O Line that averaged LESS than a 5.3 on Rivals Richter scale? Sure, a few great players even there, with 5.1 Gary Mullen having a long NFL career, but no real depth anywhere, proven when one of the TWO players on offense rated above a 5.5, 5.6 Little went down and we replaced him with a two star-------a couple of two stars really, Dixon and Locke. BOTH the other TWO three stars on offense, Burton, turned down by Transfer U, and Tamme, turned down by our HC before Brooks took over, were LATE promotions to their 5.5 three star status.

I have a world of respect for what Brooks accomplished here with TEN YEARS of NOTHING above the bare minimum of support. He did an unbelievable job of BOTH finding AND developing overlooked stars (Said 5.3 Tre was AT LEAST a four star AS SOON AS he had him safely signed) but the lack of support finally got him.

Tell me that 07 team that averaged just over a 5.3 for the ELEVEN on offense including 5.8 Woodson and 5.6 Little, would have competed with a Bama team that brought in NINETEEN five stars plus SEVEN five stars in ONE recent class, the twenty six AVERAGING a lofty 5.950 on Rivals Richter scale. PLUS all the talent they had returning from a NC team, with Georgia also having seven FIVE stars in a more recent class.

Some great individual stars with proven NFL records on that team, but VERY LITTLE in reserve and a lot of holes.

But, but, but, but

Mitch Barnhart named Athletic Director of the Year

Big news today for the University of Kentucky and Mitch Barnhart as he’s been named Athletics Director of the Year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics....

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/mitch-barnhart-named-athletic-director-of-the-year/
How can this be? Haven't our expert posters here on the board called for Barnhart to be replaced for failing to support our athletic programs? Is it possible that they could have missed something? Or maybe everything?

So the 2007 team lost to 4 of 6 ranked opponents and loss to an unranked team.

This year UK will play at least 4 ranked opponents and of course unranked teams. The 2007 team isn't going to the playoffs. Nice try.

So the 2007 team lost to 4 of 6 ranked opponents and loss to an unranked team.

This year UK will play at least 4 ranked opponents and of course unranked teams. The 2007 team isn't going to the playoffs. Nice try.

Did you watch 2007?

Hey

At least he did not leave two WRs uncovered right?

That is this weekend..at the swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT