ADVERTISEMENT

Cal staying would be bad for Cal

May 4, 2015
Charleston, SC
I’ve seen this said a few times, I think it needs reiterating. Cal staying and (most likely) having a seasons similar to this one, or worse, would be horrible for Cal’s reputation. He’ll be known as the coach who had a wealth of talent who won one title, and the coach who ran a blue blood program into the ground. It doesn’t make sense for someone with an ego his size to not care about his reputation.

I’ve seen this said a few times, I think it needs reiterating. Cal staying and (most likely) having a seasons similar to this one, or worse, would be horrible for Cal’s reputation. He’ll be known as the coach who had a wealth of talent who won one title, and the coach who ran a blue blood program into the ground. It doesn’t make sense for someone with an ego his size to not care about his reputation.
Yours could have been, and was, written a year ago by many of us. Cal has already ruined his reputation. The only thing that saved him last year was the myth of the incoming class. He believed he could revert to early Cal. It doesn't work anymore and hopefully he realizes it. He gone.

🐂Cal will leave and coach elsewhere. He will try and show it wasn't him.
Trust me this is his play.

Probably in the NBA. Calipari showed he can play the NBA game all season. He probably get 12-15 million a year and coach where he chooses.
Including maybe San Antonio with a generational shot blocker.

Last edited:
Yours could have been, and was, written a year ago by many of us. Cal has already ruined his reputation. The only thing that saved him last year was the myth of the incoming class. He believed he could revert to early Cal. It doesn't work anymore and hopefully he realizes it. He gone.
What do you mean by “
Yours could have been, and was, written a year ago by many of us.
?

I hope you’re right Dr.H

Idk I mean his ego is the size of the Empire State Building. You’d think reputation means something to him
Guys like this don’t even think failure is an option, that’s the problem. You get to this level of coaching and your ego is huge and think you’ll always figure it out eventually. In Cal’s mind if he comes back he will 100% figure it out and have a good season even if the recent evidence proves otherwise.

Cal doesn’t care one bit about his reputation. His level of narcissism is off the charts. He’s the victim and it’s all happening to him, period. He’ll stay to collect his money unless forced out. In his mind, he’s the good guy without a shred of doubt.

Reactions: delk4three
Cal should go to Michigan or UCLA if Cronin goes to Louisville. Get anywhere from $3-5 million a year at a school that even John Beilein took to the National Championship. That amount would come off the buyout, still gets the remaining amount of the deal from UK. He isn't out any money, gets to skate out of town to a school with less pressure. UK can then move on and get back to Kentucky Basketball. We don't have to put up with his ass anymore.

🐂Cal will leave and coach elsewhere. He will try and show it wasn't him.
Trust me this is his play.

Probably in the NBA. Calipari showed he can play the NBA game all season. He probably get 12-15 million a year and coach where he chooses.
Including maybe San Antonio with a generational shot blocker.
Very possible because you do not have to coach in the NBA. He could be the PR face and massage the big egos.

Will he make it better by leaving?
I don’t think he is a horrible person, just not a good in game coach. I don’t wish him bad, just wish him gone. Does UK get better in him leaving… I think so in time. His time has come and took us to some really fun times. A class act knows when it’s time to move to a different spot. He hasn’t realized this for at least a couple years in my opinion. Cal’s reaction to this right now will define his whole tenure as a college coach. He should bow out gracefully if the ego will allow.

I talked to a former player from his days at Memphis. His former players love him and rightfully so.

Cal, as much as he has pi$$ed me off, is a logical, smart , decent person. I truly believe that. His best move would to move out with a little compassion to what UK Basketball has become. There might be a place for him… just not as a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT