ADVERTISEMENT

Constantly outcoached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t matter the opponent. Sick of it and tired of the excuses. Horrible game planning and horrible discipline. Stoops didn’t even say a word to Westry. A real coach would have ripped him a new one right there on the sideline.

No more coaches who have never been head coaches before, for on the job training, please. UK needs some organized guys who can actually coach football.
Then when he yells at a player, many will say he is out of control

My favorites are the “morons” that act like football is hard to figure out. Fact=we looked bad, really bad against an awful team. In. Year. Six. Also, stop acting like the TOs were just bad luck and everything else was ok. Oooooh we won even though we turned it over! Awesome! Coaching and discipline seem better to you? Nope. Looks like the same story.

These are probably the same “morons” that call everyone else “morons” for being upset that it takes miracles for UK to beat EKU or Austin Peay when the first game excuses don’t apply. Yeah, we just don’t get it. Everything is ok lol, it’s just the first game with a new QB. Coaching staff doing a great job. I’m sure we’ll have a solid season.
The point is -4 turnovers was a huge negative working us against today and is something you should reasonably expect to improve on and we still won by 15 any way. If you were expecting much more than a 15 point win today I don't think that was realistic. Vegas had it at what 17 I think?

Agree 100%

Except you have to remember a portion of our fan base are morons. we were one half of football toady and a few idiots were calling for the coaches to be fired. Why? because they are idiots and know nothing about anything. And they fail to realize that we had a first year QB playing in his first game, he was telegraphing his passes for 6 seconds and we had 4 turnovers in a half. Thats not a coaching problem. BBN is awesome, but every UK coach ever, will tell you we have a small % of fans that are stupid, morons. And today a few of them typed post's on this board. Absolute idiots, that give the rest of us a bad name, and do not represent BBN at all!

Tyblue, Your wrong for calling fans morons. What makes you any smarter about football then some fans who are critical of the way were playing. I'm a Coach stoops fan, but if he can't go 7-5 with the number of returning starters, on offense and defense, then he needs to go.
Talking about QB's, it seems like we have this conversation every year since Coach Stoops has been here. NO fan recruits the QB, that's up to the coaches.
Not one fan was responsible for leaving two WR's uncovered against Florida. In 70+ years of watching UK, I can't remember any coach ever leaving one uncovered, little on two in one game. Now you should understand why some fans are critical of Coach Stoops, and their not morons.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

The point is -4 turnovers was a huge negative working us against today and is something you should reasonably expect to improve on and we still won by 15 any way. If you were expecting much more than a 15 point win today I don't think that was realistic. Vegas had it at what 17 I think?

Maybe Vegas is smart enough to know that Stoops can't/won't beat any team by a substantial amount and just plays the odds right. I don't think they were keeping the point spread lower out of respect for the quality of opponent. I thought I heard Stoops is the worst in college football at beating the spread.

Maybe Vegas is smart enough to know that Stoops can't/won't beat any team by a substantial amount and just plays the odds right. I don't think they were keeping the point spread lower out of respect for the quality of opponent. I thought I heard Stoops is the worst in college football at beating the spread.
If you go 12-0 and never beat the spread, did you have a successful season?

If you go 12-0 and never beat the spread, did you have a successful season?

Sure by Kentucky standards, but we struggle just to get to 7 wins while playing weaker than normal schedules. Unfortunately the schedule difficulty will likely progressively get harder with the SEC East improving.

Sure by Kentucky standards, but we struggle just to get to 7 wins while playing weaker than normal schedules. Unfortunately the schedule difficulty will likely progressively get harder with the SEC East improving.
Then we will have to keep up by progressively getting better

Then we will have to keep up by progressively getting better

The problem is I think we might have topped out already under Stoops. Recruiting is starting to decline and we are struggling at getting quality players at many key positions. That is why last year was a huge missed opportunity.

We win against Florida, Ole Miss, and potentially Northwestern (if Snell was a little more disciplined on that play, even though the ref should have let it go), we go into the off season following a 10 win season. Recruiting likely would have taken off and fans would have been much more supportive going into this season.

As you can tell by ticket sales and current recruiting, we might have missed our opportunity to move up in the conference under Stoops.

Reactions: BleedBlue32
i think the offensive play calls up until snell’s first td (which reappeared during the final drive when we could have put them out of their misery) were all cutesy misdirection crap that you shouldn’t run against an inferior team. you line it up and run dives a direct stuff, between the tackles and overpower. this is what made us play into their hands, putting our qb in bad situations, and looking very outcoached. the irony is we’ll need a goood misdirection game to do anything in the sec.

we were out coached for a while because they kept it simple and didn’t hurt themselves and just benefited from our turnovers. they took chances defensively but not offensively, playing not to lose and of course lost. if we kept it simple like them though we probably would have rushed for 400+. just not a good game plan for this type of big ten style opponent. the game plan we saw is i suspect what we will see and need moving forward and we just need someone (qb) to execute it.

Love this board.

The psychos were out all the way up until yesterday screaming 8, 9, 10 wins! Just like every single year. Mad when a person says probably a 6 win team. Then same ppl, after UK wins 1st game...jumping off a bridge rolling in misery.

Reactions: 1stKatMan
I don't think things are quite as bad as a few make them out to be; conversely I don't think things are quite as rosy as we all want them to be in year 6 under Stoops.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
We gave CMU 10 points directly from turnovers. Would any of you feel any better this morning if we won 35-10? The four turnovers are a huge concern and the coaching staff better be addressing ball security this week in practice but I don't see how anyone can look at the team's performance yesterday and call it terrible.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
If we're a much improved team, then expecting to beat Vegas was on target. & we would have ex the -4.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
How bad did those teams beat us. My memory isn't the best

Yeah we won those games, but come on dude, there was simply no excuse for those teams being in the game. None whatsoever! EKU thoroughly outplayed us in 2015 and we needed an utter miracle TD catch to win that one. Austin Peay hadn't won a game in like 2 years and they came into Commonwealth and punched us in the mouth. True, we trounced them after that, but we should never have been down 14-0 to a godawful team like that.

The problem is I think we might have topped out already under Stoops. Recruiting is starting to decline and we are struggling at getting quality players at many key positions. That is why last year was a huge missed opportunity.

We win against Florida, Ole Miss, and potentially Northwestern (if Snell was a little more disciplined on that play, even though the ref should have let it go), we go into the off season following a 10 win season. Recruiting likely would have taken off and fans would have been much more supportive going into this season.

As you can tell by ticket sales and current recruiting, we might have missed our opportunity to move up in the conference under Stoops.
You could be right. Which is why an improved record this year is really needed to keep it from being near-certain.

Reactions: KyCatFan

You post is somewhat fair. There are a few points I would disagree with. Topped out under Stoops? How do you know? Cal had coached 20t years and had never won a championship, it may have been said he couldn't, until he did. Recruiting is declining. We signed a good class last season, let's let this class pan out. Snell undisciplined? Really. He simply didn't take the ref's hand. That call was total bs and you know it. Yes we did miss some opportunities last season and pulled some other ones out. Ticket sales? Look around the country brother and get back with me. I don't know where Stoops is going but I know he is doing as well as any coach in the last 60 years.

Reactions: 1stKatMan
You post is somewhat fair. There are a few points I would disagree with. Topped out under Stoops? How do you know? Cal had coached 20t years and had never won a championship, it may have been said he couldn't, until he did. Recruiting is declining. We signed a good class last season, let's let this class pan out. Snell undisciplined? Really. He simply didn't take the ref's hand. That call was total bs and you know it. Yes we did miss some opportunities last season and pulled some other ones out. Ticket sales? Look around the country brother and get back with me. I don't know where Stoops is going but I know he is doing as well as any coach in the last 60 years.

In calipari’s first eight years as a head coach he won five straight A10 titles, was ranked #1 nat’lly, was conf coy, nat’l coy, and took umass to the f4, although vacated.
Not really a good comparison.

Reactions: GG24 and KyCatFan
I complain, yet, I see improvement. I see a team playing hard. I see a team with a RB as its defacto offensive leader. I see coaches who use cliche/coach speak. I see a team who gets a little more one-dimensional every year.

It is similiar to years past when there was a decent running game and a inadequate passing game trying to augment it. Arkansas had this same approach while playing in the SECw. Their coach is gone.

Vandy and Mizzou have good quarterbacking right now and once Luck & Shurmur graduate, they'll likely be back to square one. SoCarolina has found a QB in Bentley. Fla and Tenn are trying to break-in signal-callers. I get it. But, UK has been chasing a QB for six years. To the point that SJ had to play handicapped half of last season. This staff acts like the QB position at UK is virtually devoid of talent; that's why the new JUCO guy vaults to the top of the depth chart every spring. Rolling the dice like this will eventually lead to a "crap out".

I hope TW has a huge upside. But, this league does not allow wide learning curves: think 5-star Jacob Eason. Dropping early league games while the QB breaks-in is a recipe for a veteran team to underachieve. That's how a patient fanbase gets frustrated. That's what makes fans ask questions.

Reactions: KyCatFan
The same folks lamenting the wins over "inferior" opponents are the ones who scream about the parity in college basketball whenever a team jumps up and bites us in the butt on that side of the house. What they don't realize is that the players who comprise some of these teams are the same players we would face across the field at Florida and Tennessee and other top Power 5 schools except for the fact that they have failed to meet stiff academic standards or broken team rules or simply been encouraged to find a new school.

The folks who are only concerned with wins and losses show their superficial and simplistic nature. They can't be bothered to look beyond the top layer.

Funny, I thought they were a bowl team and program that has beaten a lot of P5 teams on the road the past few years...because they have.

You need to learn what “awful” means, big fella.oh, and you also need to learn what “fact” means. Calling a team awful is not a fact. It’s an opinion.

You seem REALLY confused, big fella.

You do realize that the team on the field yesterday has nothing to do with their past teams, right? They beat "a lot" of P5 teams on the road the past few years? Really? Name me all the P5 teams they beat the past 3 seasons then. You said "a lot". 2016 they beat OK St on the road. That was nice. Who else? Kansas? KANSAS??? lol. That is it.

Hmmm, I thought this was the most talented team Stoops has had since he's been here and he still can't handle an AWFUL mid major team? It was simple to see watching that game that CMU was not a good football team. At some point year after year after year watching UK either lose to or struggle against mid majors or even EKU or Austin Peay type football teams you have to let reality sink in. Sorry that hasn't happened for you yet and you're convinced we just battled it out yesterday against a solid team, lol.

Oh, by the way, here's a fact...that CMU team we struggled against yesterday had 3 starters missing for the game.

The same folks lamenting the wins over "inferior" opponents are the ones who scream about the parity in college basketball whenever a team jumps up and bites us in the butt on that side of the house. What they don't realize is that the players who comprise some of these teams are the same players we would face across the field at Florida and Tennessee and other top Power 5 schools except for the fact that they have failed to meet stiff academic standards or broken team rules or simply been encouraged to find a new school.

The folks who are only concerned with wins and losses show their superficial and simplistic nature. They can't be bothered to look beyond the top layer.

Come on, these teams have a few players from big programs sprinkled in. Let's not act like EKU, Southern MIss, Austin Peay, CMU, EMU are loaded with D1 transfers. Oh there's some guy who plays LB at EKU who couldn't cut it at Florida so that's why we almost lost to them? What a joke.

Come on, these teams have a few players from big programs sprinkled in. Let's not act like EKU, Southern MIss, Austin Peay, CMU, EMU are loaded with D1 transfers. Oh there's some guy who plays LB at EKU who couldn't cut it at Florida so that's why we almost lost to them? What a joke.

What’s he’s saying is that we not only struggle against the smart, strong ones-we struggle against the stupid ones as well.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
The irony of posts like these is the fact that when we go to another bowl game this year, Stoops will join Rich Brooks and Bear Bryant as the only coaches to go to three bowl games here. In the history of Kentucky football. Some of you are just absolutely miserable and enjoy being so.

Oh, CMU also got blown out last season by Syracuse, Miami (of OHIO), Boston College, Toledo and Wyoming.

Reactions: blubo
The irony of posts like these is the fact that when we go to another bowl game this year, Stoops will join Rich Brooks and Bear Bryant as the only coaches to go to three bowl games here. In the history of Kentucky football. Some of you are just absolutely miserable and enjoy being so.

You do realize how much easier it is to get to 6 wins these days, right? There are also roughly 500 bowl games. If we keep playing like we did yesterday we ain't going to a bowl game. That looked like a 4-8 UK season.

That's a misleading stat. Modern bowls are crap when it's a 6 win season. There are 5 win teams with losing records in bowls today. We've had other coaches play without a cupcake game who would have made more bowls.

There is nothing impressive about his bowls.

The defense is much more of a concern to me than the offense.

On both sides of the both we have a ton of experience, yet, people continue to talk about Wilson-- imo he's got to be the guy if we are having any SEC success. I think he showed some flashes.

The experienced players on defense continue to be the letdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT