ADVERTISEMENT

Constantly outcoached

Status
Not open for further replies.
A majority of our fans have no perspective.

I did some research earlier. There hasn't been a UK coach to finish his time at UK with a >.500 winning pct since Blanton Collier hung up his clipboard in 1961...that's damn near 60 years and 10 coaching changes.

Stoops is currently sitting right around Hal Mumme numbers as far as winning pct goes. If this season goes well, he will be up around Rich Brooks numbers.

People are going to say, "yeah but we shoulda..." and I'm thinking Brooks and every other coach over that 60 year span probably thought they shoulda won a few more too. That's why they play the game.

Mostly I just think it's this generation. Fans act like they are owed a victory, and if they don't get it, well then Katie bar the door. It's an all out bitch-fest. Weird. Once upon a time, people understood that games have winners and losers...

Medicat, I don't know what generation your talking about. I'm 79, and yes, I expect to have a winning team in UK football. I'm not a fan of any coach, unless he can win. I'm not a foe of any coach, unless he can't get the job done. We pay these coaches a lot of money to produce a winner. UK football is BIG business, just as it is at other schools. Do I want Coach Stoops to be at UK for a long time, you bet I do if he winning. If he's not, then "Next Man Up."

I know a lot of posters, who cannot remember when UK had a good football team, is satisfied with a 50% winning percentage. Some of us old fans, and a lot of the new ones, want more then that. We still believe we can win, with the right coach. Is Coach stoops the right coach? I, and most of the fans don't know. This is his 6th year, so he has had ample time to prove himself. He has most of his starters back on offense and defense, QB's who he recruited. I hope he successful, but we should know after this year.

I know some on here accept losing, as a way of life, but a lot of us don't.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

They were 3-5 in the SEC because they played an SEC schedule that was much harder than what we faced a year ago. How many ranked SEC teams did UK play last year? 2, and one of them was an overrated Florida team. I mean... 2007 actually faced Arkansas who had Felix Jones and Darren McFadden and they were one of the unranked teams!

Hard to believe this isn't making sense to them.

On paper we would definitely say that the '07 team definitely wouldn't have beaten the '07 LSU team. Yet, they did it. Sure, the '07 team might not beat the UGA team of this past year, but that would likely be their only loss and they almost certainly wouldn't have been blown out by anyone. So, maybe they don't go to the playoffs, but they could likely be vying for a spot to be in it with the UGA game being the major obstacle before the SEC title game.

Fact of the matter is that the 2007 team faced a schedule ten times harder than the 2017 team.

On paper we would definitely say that the 10 team definitely wouldn't have beat the 10 USC team that won the east, UK with TWO four stars and TOBC with 39 four star commits the previous four years PLUS a five star. They also almost beat the UNDEFEATED NC team that they gave their closest game of the year.

The 2010 UK team faced an SEC schedule where 7 teams averaged 39 4 star commits the previous four years, minus Vandy but including the two patsy Misses. Since they beat the SEC east winner and came within 3 points of a great undefeated Auburn team I say the 2010 UK team would win this years SEC east-------about the same logic involved as the 07 team beating Georgia, a chance yes, it's football, a win, no.

Reactions: cat888 and rupp876
I know it isn't simple. Never said it was. Still, Tennessee, for instance, had Jones on the hot seat despite the fact that he won 9 games two years in a row. They then fired him after he went 4-6 a year ago. Tennessee fans demanded more and their administration is willing to try to meet that demand. At some point UK fans have to do the same. We shouldn't be happy with poor football and bumbling our way to 7 wins. To me, the writing is on the wall with Stoops, and it isn't going to get better.

And boy, did they ever look good in their opener.

Hard to believe this isn't making sense to them.

Read this.

ONE Bama class had TWENTY SIX four star AND above (Seven five stars) that AVERAGED a 5.950 for the TWENTY SIX. Then they had a lot of players back from the NUMBER ONE recruiting classes for SEVERAL YEARS in a row AND a team that won another NC.

Georgia has topped them in recruiting recently, the new number one, also with SEVEN five stars in one class. And I believe they should have won the NC, one hail Mary notwithstanding. The 07 UK team had ONE four star on offense, one 5.6, and two 5.5s. A 4.9 was one of the stars of the offense, and the five starters on the OL averaged a weak TWO STAR, about a 5.30..

Now, ask me about their depth chart, which ended up killing them.

On paper we would definitely say that the 10 team definitely wouldn't have beat the 10 USC team that won the east, UK with TWO four stars and TOBC with 39 four star commits the previous four years PLUS a five star. They also almost beat the UNDEFEATED NC team that they gave their closest game of the year.

The 2010 UK team faced an SEC schedule where 7 teams averaged 39 4 star commits the previous four years, minus Vandy but including the two patsy Misses. Since they beat the SEC east winner and came within 3 points of a great undefeated Auburn team I say the 2010 UK team would win this years SEC east-------about the same logic involved as the 07 team beating Georgia, a chance yes, it's football, a win, no.

Yes, so anything can happen in football. The 2007 team very well could have beaten the UGA team. Can we guarantee it? No. However, we certainly can't say that they wouldn't have done it. We have evidence that they beat the best team that year.

Still, it is more about the fact that the 2007 Kentucky team faced a much harder schedule and ended up winning as many games as 2017. That was largely the entire point of the statement made previously. Yes, saying we'd be a lock for a playoff spot is an exaggeration. However, the real point there was that the 2017 faced an extremely favorable schedule, especially compared to 2007, and that the 7 wins in '07 are much more impressive than the 7 wins in 2017. So, not all 7 win seasons are created equal.

Yes, so anything can happen in football. The 2007 team very well could have beaten the UGA team. Can we guarantee it? No. However, we certainly can't say that they wouldn't have done it. We have evidence that they beat the best team that year.

Still, it is more about the fact that the 2007 Kentucky team faced a much harder schedule and ended up winning as many games as 2017. That was largely the entire point of the statement made previously. Yes, saying we'd be a lock for a playoff spot is an exaggeration. However, the real point there was that the 2017 faced an extremely favorable schedule, especially compared to 2007, and that the 7 wins in '07 are much more impressive than the 7 wins in 2017. So, not all 7 win seasons are created equal.

And I don't think I said they for sure would have beaten them, but they easily could have. They took top rated programs to wire that year. He'll even Arkansas had one of the best running back cores in 07 and still managed only managed 8 wins. Had we not beat them it wouod have been a 9 win football team. That Arkansas team would beat any Stoops team we've had.

Anyone that watched that team knows if they had the 17 Kentucky schedule they'd run through a lot of it. They rose as high as 7 in the nation before facing crazy stiff competition. With our recent schedules, that competition wouldn't have been there. They would have feasted on this east.

You don't have to be undefeated to play for a playoff spot. They wouldn't have had many losses at all.

Doesn’t matter the opponent. Sick of it and tired of the excuses. Horrible game planning and horrible discipline. Stoops didn’t even say a word to Westry. A real coach would have ripped him a new one right there on the sideline.

No more coaches who have never been head coaches before, for on the job training, please. UK needs some organized guys who can actually coach football.

A real fan.

Medicat, I don't know what generation your talking about. I'm 79, and yes, I expect to have a winning team in UK football. I'm not a fan of any coach, unless he can win. I'm not a foe of any coach, unless he can't get the job done. We pay these coaches a lot of money to produce a winner. UK football is BIG business, just as it is at other schools. Do I want Coach Stoops to be at UK for a long time, you bet I do if he winning. If he's not, then "Next Man Up."

I know a lot of posters, who cannot remember when UK had a good football team, is satisfied with a 50% winning percentage. Some of us old fans, and a lot of the new ones, want more then that. We still believe we can win, with the right coach. Is Coach stoops the right coach? I, and most of the fans don't know. This is his 6th year, so he has had ample time to prove himself. He has most of his starters back on offense and defense, QB's who he recruited. I hope he successful, but we should know after this year.

I know some on here accept losing, as a way of life, but a lot of us don't.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

To say fans that cheer for the team regardless of the wins and losses “accept losing” is a false equivalence.

I don’t know your story old timer but most men I know your age have loved and lost and lived enough to put college football in perspective.

Those kids and coaches put a lot more on the line for the team then you and I ever will. Unless I hve reason to believe a coach is actively sabotaging the team, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s doing the best he can and we, as fans, only see less than half of what goes on to impact the season and each individual game.

Don't have a lot of fancy numbers or slide rule calculations but I could pretty much figure out that Rich Brooks was a better coach than Joker Phillips.:D

To say fans that cheer for the team regardless of the wins and losses “accept losing” is a false equivalence.

I don’t know your story old timer but most men I know your age have loved and lost and lived enough to put college football in perspective.

Those kids and coaches put a lot more on the line for the team then you and I ever will. Unless I hve reason to believe a coach is actively sabotaging the team, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s doing the best he can and we, as fans, only see less than half of what goes on to impact the season and each individual game.

Medicat, my story is, I was a Fighter pilot during Viet Namn, flew 30 years with Northwest Airlines, and retired as a Boeing 747 Captain. Been married to the same woman for 58 years, and still married to her.

I didn't put a lot on the line for football, but I put a lot on the line for my country. I can tell you about some of my classmates who put it ALL on the line in Namn.

I don't believe any HC actually sabotages his team, but just as flying, everyone doesn't make it. 40% of my class in Flight school didn't.

There is one thing I never forget. Football is only a game, played by kids and young men. It's fun to get on here and see the different opinions, but it's sad when I see posters on here calling other posters idiots, morons, etc. The one thing my generation was taught, was courtesy and respect. A lot of the younger generation needs to learn it.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

College football study hall had an interesting list of underachievers and overachievers in the coaching ranks. Surprisingly the list included former coaches and Rich Brooks as well as Joker Phillips were included.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/p...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
That is interesting to say the least. I understand this is a very narrow focus of coaching with some obvious outliers but in general I think it gets to be more indicative the closer you get to the middle of the scale. It does show why Brooks is beloved by so many UK fans.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
Well a data-based comparison is at least a starting point, yes there are the obvious choices, but otherwise it's very subjective and just your opinion vs. my opinion. It helps to have a discussion around the data instead of the people.

Coach Stoops like any other coach deserves a fair chance at winning. The issue with Coach Stoops is that he’s had that chance. He and his staff after all these years and pay increases continue to make the exact same mistakes. His teams, game to game preparation are routinely ill prepared. His grasp at game preparation and in-game situational awareness often appears to be none existent. His game planning is always single mined in that his defenses are regularly give up tons of yards and points. While his offense schemes are immature. Teams regularly load the box and instead of moving to some dynamic scheme away for the defense. He stays with the run up the middle of the defense. Think about it - how many times have we seen a player have his career highs against a Coach Stoops team? There is little discipline within the team. So much so, his coaching staff caused the team to get a penalty for being on the field last week. Last year, we all watch Coach Stoops freeze his own kicker. Resulting with a field goal taken off the board. You can say what you wish about me. It’s not going to change the facts. It’s not about the wins and losses. It’s about the University of Kentucky, week to week putting a competitive, well prepared team on the field. That’s never going to happen until the University pays for a Coach for football, much like they’ve done in basketball. You get what you pay for!

When you can’t defend your loser opinion, you show your true colors by taking the low road.

I don't have to defend anything. It's pretty obvious and the coaching staff will take care of that, like they always do. WTF have you done in this thread other than say "go watch a diff team" or respond to me responding to someone else who posted a 3 word reply? Take your true colors somewhere else, loser.

Medicat, my story is, I was a Fighter pilot during Viet Namn, flew 30 years with Northwest Airlines, and retired as a Boeing 747 Captain. Been married to the same woman for 58 years, and still married to her.

I didn't put a lot on the line for football, but I put a lot on the line for my country. I can tell you about some of my classmates who put it ALL on the line in Namn.

I don't believe any HC actually sabotages his team, but just as flying, everyone doesn't make it. 40% of my class in Flight school didn't.

There is one thing I never forget. Football is only a game, played by kids and young men. It's fun to get on here and see the different opinions, but it's sad when I see posters on here calling other posters idiots, morons, etc. The one thing my generation was taught, was courtesy and respect. A lot of the younger generation needs to learn it.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Willie peter will make you a believer ! Willie did you fly a F4 ?

I think people overlook the HUGE missing component that Stoops has been saddled with. Due to injury and decommitments at the end of two recruiting seasons there has been a big hole on the roster at the QB position.

Reactions: The-Hack and jauk11

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Thank you for your service Willie.

I respect you and didn’t call you a moron or idiot. I did take issue with you saying that I “accept losing”.

I don’t accept losing. I’m actually super competitive. I used to have real anger control issues...and my sports fandom was no different.

I’m suggesting you and the other negative fans maybe don’t have a good grasp on what it takes to be “top tier” in the SEC. I keep saying people throw out 9 to 10 win seasons as some barometer of success by which they would be made happy.

9 to 10 wins means 1st or 2nd in the SEC East. That means consistently surpassing 2 of the the 3 (UGA, UF , UT) while holding off teams like Missouri and USC.

That’s not done over night. In fact, I’d say it takes about a decade of consistent success to even think about it. Stoops is headed in the right direction.

A lot of people on this board act like just because they want to win, then they know how to do it and that if they call the team and staff dogs often enough it will translate into wins. It won’t.

In fact, almost nothing we do impacts the play on the field, the record, the recruiting or any other team decision or outcome. So why not sit back, cheer for the kids to do well and enjoy the ride.

I respect you and didn’t call you a moron or idiot. I did take issue with you saying that I “accept losing”.

I don’t accept losing. I’m actually super competitive. I used to have real anger control issues...and my sports fandom was no different.

I’m suggesting you and the other negative fans maybe don’t have a good grasp on what it takes to be “top tier” in the SEC. I keep saying people throw out 9 to 10 win seasons as some barometer of success by which they would be made happy.

9 to 10 wins means 1st or 2nd in the SEC East. That means consistently surpassing 2 of the the 3 (UGA, UF , UT) while holding off teams like Missouri and USC.

That’s not done over night. In fact, I’d say it takes about a decade of consistent success to even think about it. Stoops is headed in the right direction.

A lot of people on this board act like just because they want to win, then they know how to do it and that if they call the team and staff dogs often enough it will translate into wins. It won’t.

In fact, almost nothing we do impacts the play on the field, the record, the recruiting or any other team decision or outcome. So why not sit back, cheer for the kids to do well and enjoy the ride.
Well said.

I'm sorry if I said you accept losing. Please accept apology. As I've said many times, I do not want to see Coach Stoops fired if he can get the job done. If he can't, then next man up. Joker was a friend of mine, but I wanted to see him gone, because he wasn't getting the job done, and that's winning, or at least being competitive.

I still believe that UK can get to the level where we are competitive with everyone. I know were not going to compete with some of the players coming out of high school, but good coaches can coach them up. We cannot compare Coach Stoops to coaches we've had in the last 30 years. He has much more to offer players he's recruiting, such as facilities.
I realize everyone can't be the best, but everyone should try to be the best in what their doing. I have two Grandchildren (Twin Boys) who are in their Junior year at UK, have made all A's, going to be Doctors. I tell them to always strive to be the best, even if it was digging a ditch.
I realize times have changed a lot since I grew up in Wolfe County, Kentucky, but I'm still the Old Hill Billy I always was.
I never boo players, and I don't allow my Grandsons to boo them. Refs, that's different. Most of them are blind.LOL

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: MediCat and RV2
I don't have to defend anything. It's pretty obvious and the coaching staff will take care of that, like they always do. WTF have you done in this thread other than say "go watch a diff team" or respond to me responding to someone else who posted a 3 word reply? Take your true colors somewhere else, loser.
When given a little taste of your own medicine, you responded like an angry child. Figures.

If you hate the program and the coaches so much, what is the point of obsessing over all these unpleasant thoughts and slamming fans who don’t agree with you? It’s childish. Why not do something else that can be more pleasing for you? If that is possible.

When given a little taste of your own medicine, you responded like an angry child. Figures.

If you hate the program and the coaches so much, what is the point of obsessing over all these unpleasant thoughts and slamming fans who don’t agree with you? It’s childish. Why not do something else that can be more pleasing for you? If that is possible.

Our staff looks unprepared against a bad team and I post that they again look to be outcoached despite years and years to get things together. Apparently that REALLY hurts your feelings. Childish? YOU seem to be on here slamming me because you don’t agree with me. LOL. If I slam fans, it’s fans like you who hop on here with CHILDISH responses to a legitimate concern over the staff’s competency. Have you presented facts to prove to me that the staff is competent? I mean, it’s not my fault we didn’t cover a WR TWICE in one game. In your mind it probably is my fault.

Quit being a little baby you snowflake. It’s ok, it really is. Oh no, someone is frustrated with a football coaching staff! You better respond like a child cause you don’t like it! LOL. You’re clearly one of the more sensitive posters on here. It’s cute.

Last edited:
Reactions: thepip
It’s all about perspective. To think a UK coach can just come in and slap together top 20 classes is unrealistic when there hasn’t been consistent high level success here ever. That’s like an Ole Miss basketball fan expecting top 10 recruiting classes every year. Try to gain a little perspective. If you want a great coach that coaches shitty players then by all means let’s keep being the same mediocre program we’ve been my entire life. I’ll take the talent first.
Well Ray, one thing we will know according to your logic is: at the end of the year let's see how far our "greatest talent ever at UK'" takes us. Correct?

Our staff looks unprepared against a bad team and I post that they again look to be outcoached despite years and years to get things together. Apparently that REALLY hurts your feelings. Childish? YOU seem to be on here slamming me because you don’t agree with me. LOL. If I slam fans, it’s fans like you who hop on here with CHILDISH responses to a legitimate concern over the staff’s competency. Have you presented facts to prove to me that the staff is competent? I mean, it’s not my fault we didn’t cover a WR TWICE in one game. In your mind it probably is my fault.

Quit being a little baby you snowflake. It’s ok, it really is. Oh no, someone is frustrated with a football coaching staff! You better respond like a child cause you don’t like it! LOL. You’re clearly one of the more sensitive posters on here. It’s cute.
We won the game, Bozo. You are playing a losing hand. No wonder the other guy called you a loser. Sounds about right.

Here are the bad losses for the weekend. You should be a fan of one of these teams.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ask-farrell-which-team-suffered-worst-week-1-loss-

Well Ray, one thing we will know according to your logic is: at the end of the year let's see how far our "greatest talent ever at UK'" takes us. Correct?

I'm not really sure what this means. When did I ever say this team is the most talented team we've ever had? I'm just saying recruiting is on an uptick and to deny that is foolish. The game is won and lost, first and foremost, on the recruiting end. Which is my larger point, which you somehow missed.

Reactions: Levibooty
I'm not really sure what this means. When did I ever say this team is the most talented team we've ever had? I'm just saying recruiting is on an uptick and to deny that is foolish. The game is won and lost, first and foremost, on the recruiting end. Which is my larger point, which you somehow missed.
Here is what I'm just saying, it not the proof in the W column?

Here is what I'm just saying, it not the proof in the W column?

Sure, but we're only one game into this season. It's too early to know how the season is going to play out. This is Stoops most talented team. Any snap judgements about this team are premature.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we have a bad year, but I'm excited for this year and this team. I'm not nearly as doom and gloom as so many on this board.

Reactions: RV2
I'm not nearly as doom and gloom as so many on this board.

You should have been here, the last two years. Even as Stoops and Co. brought us winning seasons, a two-year conference record of .500, and two bowls with a journeyman JC QB, 30% of the "fanbase" who posts here acted like he'd run over their dog, stole their wife, burned down their house, and kidnapped their kids.

My response has been: "Yeah, but you got ugly kids and your wife's a Biatch!"

Reactions: ConRay9
In 2018 we ranked 30th in recruiting, in 2017 we were 26th, in 2016 we were 28th, in 2015 we were 35th, in 2014 we were 17th. So is recruiting really on the uptick? The objective data wouldn’t really support the conclusion that it is. Which means that if Stoops is taking us beyond where he has already taken us it will be with largely the same level of talent that he currently has. Last season would cast doubt about his ability to do that in the mind of any reasonable person. But maybe he can. Let’s hope so. And let’s hope we see the evidence on Saturday. Go Cats!

In 2018 we ranked 30th in recruiting, in 2017 we were 26th, in 2016 we were 28th, in 2015 we were 35th, in 2014 we were 17th. So is recruiting really on the uptick? The objective data wouldn’t really support the conclusion that it is. Which means that if Stoops is taking us beyond where he has already taken us it will be with largely the same level of talent that he currently has. Last season would cast doubt about his ability to do that in the mind of any reasonable person. But maybe he can. Let’s hope so. And let’s hope we see the evidence on Saturday. Go Cats!

Compared to our history I would say so. Recruiting has been much worse in the past. I don’t know how far it goes back, but just looking at the highest rated recruits we’ve had commitments from on rivals, a lot of the top rated we’ve gotten have been in the Stoops era. They have a page listing our biggest recruits and there are more recent faces than not. I would say, in my opinion, and according to data, that recruiting has been better. I hope so too!

You should have been here, the last two years. Even as Stoops and Co. brought us winning seasons, a two-year conference record of .500, and two bowls with a journeyman JC QB, 30% of the "fanbase" who posts here acted like he'd run over their dog, stole their wife, burned down their house, and kidnapped their kids.

My response has been: "Yeah, but you got ugly kids and your wife's a Biatch!"
Hey Hack was I one of the 30% ? I can't remember which one of my personas was dominant last season.

Reactions: The-Hack
Another cry baby drama queen.
So everyone else besides you is a crybaby drama queen.

But YOU are the crybaby. You are the one slamming our football team and declaring your superiority over other fans.

You started this with your dumb OP, and you got nailed for it. It didn't take long for you to turn nasty when you lost the football argument. Grow up loser. Or take up checkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT