ADVERTISEMENT

Coen interviewing with bears

So you think Mitch scheduling interviews for HC position on Sunday was for what reason??

Obviously, some of you don't understand how hiring a coach that is under contract with another school actually works.

The first person notified if that coach is interested in another vacancy (handled by his agent), the AD is notified by the other school's AD that they want to interview the coach for their vacancy.
Mitch set up those interviews because someone notified him that CMS had been offered and he had accepted the TA&M job, and MB was in need of a HC and possibly an entire staff.

MB got ahead of that problem by making the two biggest pieces of that staff, Coen and White, two of the interviews, thus preventing them from being able to commit to following Stoops to A&M.

From that point forward, we will probably never know the whole truth about what transpired because both parties went into damage control mode.
It probably would have worked out better long term if Mitch didn’t do that. If Stoops was ready to leave, Mitch should have let him go and Coen/White aren’t ready to be head coaches.

What a mess. Now either Coen will probably stay for a raise and/or some guaranteed control over offense or leave and Stoops will have to hire a last minute OC to be the 5th one in 5 years.

Offense has been a mess the entire tenure. Neal Brown inherited an offense with an OVC QB, subpar OL, and freshman playmakers and it’s been tough sledding ever since.

Interesting coen would leave a coveted gig to come back to a spot where he wasn't happy. Seems like some spin to a degree.

I do suspect there is some tension there for sure because coen just does not want to run the ball. He does it as little as he can. Crazy to think Ray Davis was the sec TD king on such few touches. We should've run the ball more and we should've stopped the constant deep shot plays to barion.

Coen is an amazing recruiter, has incredible concepts, but isn't yet an elite play caller because of the stuff mentioned. He's definitely still very good but it's interesting he maybe doesn't like listening to input.

Hope it works out

Reactions: jhammons
It probably would have worked out better long term if Mitch didn’t do that. If Stoops was ready to leave, Mitch should have let him go and Coen/White aren’t ready to be head coaches.

What a mess. Now either Coen will probably stay for a raise and/or some guaranteed control over offense or leave and Stoops will have to hire a last minute OC to be the 5th one in 5 years.

Offense has been a mess the entire tenure. Neal Brown inherited an offense with an OVC QB, subpar OL, and freshman playmakers and it’s been tough sledding ever since.
In the end, neither Mitch, the TA&M president, nor CMS had any say in the final outcome.

The TA&M Board overruled them all and left a big mess for UK to deal with.

With Stoops it’s always been about control. He simply doesn’t trust the people he hires. You have to do that to be sucessful. He needs to take a step back and let his coordinators do what they’re being paid really well to do. At the end of the year, if they’ve fallen short then you fire them. But what you don’t do is neuter them on the job.

I do suspect there is some tension there for sure because coen just does not want to run the ball
And yet the reason he is being considered by Ohio who demoted Brian Hartline because Ryan Day wants to run the ball more and less wide open passing. He wants to copy what has made Michigan better than him last 3 yrs.

Maybe Day needs Kentucky fans to educate him better on what Coen wants to do on offense?

Coan committed to Stoops who in turn committed to Coen. Stoops flirting with the A and M job opened the gates for Coen in turn to say his trust was violated and he in turn can now justify looking around. Looking at the tea leaves it looks like Coen will be leaving. How about bringing Tim Couch on as the new OC fresh off of his hall of fame selection!

• Haha
Reactions: Father Torque
If Coen leaves, who in world would Stoops be able to get now? Liam makes 1.7 million? Would definitely have to pony up.

If Coen leaves after just one year, I would conclude he was essentially fired by McVay and the Rams. The fact that Coen is so eager to get back to league, leads me to believe McVay could almost certainly convinced Coen to stay….if he wanted to. Which would change the narrative quite a bit. Rather than Stoops plucking Coen away from the Rams, Stoops and UK simply provided a safe landing spot for him.

Coen was already an OC in the league, in the organization and for the coach that had developed him. A coach whose only risk of departure was/is retirement. So… why leave? Why leave to come back to college, a step down no matter the program, only to jump back at the first opportunity? And to an opportunity that has none of the fore mentioned advantages. Advantages well earned, over time, and down right envious by most OC’s working today. It doesn’t make sense.

Now, it’s true Coen was OC in title only as McVay called the plays, and this could be a cause of contention for Coen. However, his check wasn’t aware of that. Or in other words, he was getting paid as if he were calling the plays. So…again….why leave?

I know it has been stated family man blah blah Lexington is great blah blah…not buying it. No, Coen was walked to the door by McVay and once in the doorway, McVay pointed toward Lexington. And apparently, as Coen was stepping through the doorway, in the direction of Lexington, he was muttering under his breathe, ”I’ll be back”.

What happened next is the confusing part. Was there an agreement between Stoops and Coen about his commitment here? Presuming there were, has something, perhaps on Stoops end of their commitment changed so dramatically that it renders their original agreement null and void? Maybe the aTm thing? Who knows. But there is a lot here to speculate on, that’s for sure. But for now, let’s speculate on Coen’s departure . I don’t feel it was as amicable a departure as once believed.

Last edited:

As many have stated before that Stoops is more involved with the offensive play calls than he leads fans to believe. Sounds like that’s the sticking point between he and Coen. Which would kinda make sense given the stall ball Stoops seems to want to do towards the end of the first half and later in the second when UK has a lead.
This is why I believe Coen is allowing his agent to PUBLICLY attach his name to these jobs. Coen wants MORE control of the play calling and to show how easy it would be for him to get another job, with the Big Boys of college football OR in the NFL again.

Will this FINALLY get Stoops to STAY OUT OF his OC's play calling????? We'll see.

Reactions: runningbears
Most internet stuff I’ve seen has Jason Candle as the current favorite for OC at OSU
Not sure if going from head coach at Toledo to coordinator at Ohio State is a step up. Yes, the program at OSU is 100x bigger than Toledo, don't know if that outweighs the position drop.

Honestly if he doesn't change he could literally hire Josh McDaniels as OC. If he's just gonna handcuff him it doesn't matter who then hire is. A long look in the mirror is overdue for Stoops.
AGREE 100%!!!

All of this just CONFIRMS what most on here have thought from the time Stoops arrived, and that is he just can't help himself by wanting to RUN AND SLOW DOWN the offense. NO OC wants to be held back and ONLY run 50 plays a FREAKIN game!!!!!

Hope this FINALLY jolts Ole Mark to the point where he allows the OC( whether it's Coen or whomever) to run a MODERN offense WITHOUT a Bridle!!!!

so we have the slowest offense in most of college football

we find out our OC is looking elsewhere

then we find out our HC was meddling in the offense after bringing an NFL guy back.

and we have a sub-par season as a result

interesting

I came on here being mad at Coen, now not so much

then we find out our HC was meddling in the offense after bringing an NFL guy back.

interesting

I would be mad at Stoops but I have been told he is the best we can do by so many on this board. I guess we will just have to live with whatever nonsense Stoops wants to do with the offense.

AGREE 100%!!!

All of this just CONFIRMS what most on here have thought from the time Stoops arrived, and that is he just can't help himself by wanting to RUN AND SLOW DOWN the offense. NO OC wants to be held back and ONLY run 50 plays a FREAKIN game!!!!!

Hope this FINALLY jolts Ole Mark to the point where he allows the OC( whether it's Coen or whomever) to run a MODERN offense WITHOUT a Bridle!!!!
Stoops complained about the pace of play multiple times this year. In one game, you could see him yelling to keep players on field and not sub so they could go faster. Not sure if this holds water

Stoops wants to run the ball effectively. What coach doesn’t? He doesn’t want UT pace but neither did Michigan.

You guys overreact to his involvement in the offense. He’s the head coach. He’s going to be involved in every aspect of the game.

Stoops complained about the pace of play multiple times this year. In one game, you could see him yelling to keep players on field and not sub so they could go faster. Not sure if this holds water

Stoops wants to run the ball effectively. What coach doesn’t? He doesn’t want UT pace but neither did Michigan.

You guys overreact to his involvement in the offense. He’s the head coach. He’s going to be involved in every aspect of the game.
Then why is his OC ALLOWING his agent to put it out publicly that he is wanted not only by NFL teams but also Bigtime college teams?

Seems to me like he is letting everyone know he may not be getting what he signed back up for here. It has already been made public that Coen and Stoops have spoken about how the offense would be run DIFFERENTLY next season. I just hope Coen is just increasing his profile and he is still happy here.

But there is definitely something going on here with all of these job openings having his name tied to them.

I can agree this is kind of a toxic situation that needs ending 1 way or the other soon.

It looks very unsavory for 1 camp to go to Matt Jones and say "he promised to be here more than 1 yr, gave his word!" Then the other camp gets in his other ear to say "promises weren't kept, offensive control wasn't given!".

If the 2 sides can work it out, great, do it in the next day or so & issue a statement reaffirming him staying. Or if not quickly take one of the jobs and leave. Then let's go hire Joe Morehead, guy I know would do great and would have 100% less drama.

Then why is his OC ALLOWING his agent to put it out publicly that he is wanted not only by NFL teams but also Bigtime college teams?

Seems to me like he is letting everyone know he may not be getting what he signed back up for here. It has already been made public that Coen and Stoops have spoken about how the offense would be run DIFFERENTLY next season. I just hope Coen is just increasing his profile and he is still happy here.

But there is definitely something going on here with all of these job openings having his name tied to them.
I agree with you that something is going on between them just not sure it’s a pace issue. The offense should be different next year. We had a lot of operations issues.

I don’t know but I would not be surprised if they disagreed on how much to run vs throw. And on how many shots/chunk plays to go for vs higher percentage plays to move the chains. There are arguments for both.

I will say it wasn’t just Stoops. Ray Davis’ camp thought they got a little pass happy a few times this year too.

Again, you can argue both ways.

Reactions: catben
I can agree this is kind of a toxic situation that needs ending 1 way or the other soon.

It looks very unsavory for 1 camp to go to Matt Jones and say "he promised to be here more than 1 yr, gave his word!" Then the other camp gets in his other ear to say "promises weren't kept, offensive control wasn't given!".

If the 2 sides can work it out, great, do it in the next day or so & issue a statement reaffirming him staying. Or if not quickly take one of the jobs and leave. Then let's go hire Joe Morehead, guy I know would do great and would have 100% less drama.
Jones is now saying the relationship is good, they just need to understand how each other works
who knows

It's sad when the most exciting part of UK football season outside of UL win is the head coach flirting drama and now this.

interesting

Go look at the stats.....

UK ran the ball 339 times and passed it 375 times (not counting pass plays that were sacks and QB tucked the ball and ran. So what kind of run/pass ratio are some expecting? like 70% pass? Ray Davis was our best offensive player...would it make sense to run him a ton less?

By most fans....UK threw way too many deep balls to Barion....that does not sound like Stoops ideology. So what plays did they want to call than they were handcuffed from being able to?

I'm ticked at this whole mess that Stoops started with his Texas AM flirtation. And probably opens the door for Coen to argue....if Stoops is one foot out the door...why can't I explore options? ANd UK is royal loser in it all s Stoops gets his $9M and Coen his $1.7M even when the team plays like crap and they have guaranteed contracts when they suck and can jet to a new school with no consequences.

I agree with you that something is going on between them just not sure it’s a pace issue. The offense should be different next year. We had a lot of operations issues.

I don’t know but I would not be surprised if they disagreed on how much to run vs throw. And on how many shots/chunk plays to go for vs higher percentage plays to move the chains. There are arguments for both.

I will say it wasn’t just Stoops. Ray Davis’ camp thought they got a little pass happy a few times this year too.

Again, you can argue both ways.
probably didn't help that almost every downfield pass, Leary was overthrowing his receiver

probably didn't help that almost every downfield pass, Leary was overthrowing his receiver
Leary was bad man. I mean he wasn’t awful. We’ve had awful. But he’s the reason we didn’t win a little more and he’s definitely the reason the offense was so slow. Going from a leader like Levis to Leary must have been difficult for the players.

Go look at the stats.....

UK ran the ball 339 times and passed it 375 times (not counting pass plays that were sacks and QB tucked the ball and ran. So what kind of run/pass ratio are some expecting? like 70% pass? Ray Davis was our best offensive player...would it make sense to run him a ton less?

By most fans....UK threw way too many deep balls to Barion....that does not sound like Stoops ideology. So what plays did they want to call than they were handcuffed from being able to?

I'm ticked at this whole mess that Stoops started with his Texas AM flirtation. And probably opens the door for Coen to argue....if Stoops is one foot out the door...why can't I explore options? ANd UK is royal loser in it all s Stoops gets his $9M and Coen his $1.7M even when the team plays like crap and they have guaranteed contracts when they suck and can jet to a new school with no consequences.
It is exactly the offense CMS wants to run. If you listen to him talk about his idea of a pro style offense, it is the age old philosophy of the QB under center, establish the run first, and then take your "shots" (his words) at long passing plays after the safeties are pulled into the box to stop the run.

CMS strokes out at passing over the middle to a TE or running crossing patterns with wrs.

The pass either has to be a wr screen to the sideline or a deep shot that if it gets intercepted, a deep shot is as good as a 30-40 yard punt.

CMS will not take a risky pass in the middle of the field. Old school coaching philosophy.

It is exactly the offense CMS wants to run. If you listen to him talk about his idea of a pro style offense, it is the age old philosophy of the QB under center, establish the run first, and then take your "shots" (his words) at long passing plays after the safeties are pulled into the box to stop the run.

CMS strokes out at passing over the middle to a TE or running crossing patterns with wrs.

The pass either has to be a wr screen to the sideline or a deep shot that if it gets intercepted, a deep shot is as good as a 30-40 yard punt.

CMS will not take a risky pass in the middle of the field. Old school coaching philosophy.
that's not a win the SEC philosophy, that's a stay above .500 and keep your job philosophy

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT