ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

What is the greatest face turn in pro wrestling history and why is it Dave Batista turning on Triple H?

This is an absolutely flawless angle, with the exception of Triple H's feathered hair and handlebar mustache. This video culminated about 6 months' worth of build. WWE doesn't have the patience to let anything simmer for 6 months anymore - at least not the main roster. But they ought to, because I don't think Dave Batista could have been the star he became if it had been the rocket push. And if this can work for Dave Batista, it can work for a lot more guys who have flaws.

Yep. The whole Evolution breakup from 2004-2005 was great.

https://www.wwe.com/videos/evolution-turns-on-randy-orton-raw-august-16-2004

Wonder if Meltzer will take credit for Peyton Royce’s win tonight...
Give Peyton a shot at the Smackdown title, have Big Dave to come out as the third member of the Iconics and cheat for her to win, and heel turn Hogan at Bash at the Beach style. Cut a promo about how even the marks in the office bought it and gave Peyton the title shot because the felt sorry for her and he's been cultivating a relationship with Ric to gain his trust since before Charlotte was even born just for this moment. Have Peyton call the fans white knight losers.

Guys, this is a totally realistic scenario.

Becky is the perfect example of how WWE ruins people. Her non-scripted social media "promos" are great. She's funny, entertaining, a good worker, pretty (but in a very real way), etc. But instead, Vince has done everything in his power to absolutely kill any steam she has.

As usual with the WWE and the Becky v. Charlotte deal, the "heel" has a point, the fans cheer for them as a result, and the writers won't be able to book around it.

Reactions: Col. Angus
In the same way that idiot football coaches call nothing but pass plays on 1st & goal from the 1 so that they can show off how brilliant their plays are when everybody knows a QB sneak will get the job done, the main roster writing crew only wants people to get over because of their writing. And so if a wrestler gets over on his own, it's an affront to the brilliant writing of the writers and then BURIED.

I don't know when this started, probably after the Benoit thing because one of your employees murdering his family should prompt an upswing in micromanagement, but I bet a guy like Steve Austin, when he isn't busy counting his money that he made primarily because he was a brilliant man who understood the business and understood his character better than any wrestler who has ever lived, thanks the heavens that he never got told exactly what to say and exactly how to act.

It's why the wrestlers deserve benefit of the doubt - if the ideas are bad, even great wrestlers will look bad. So we don't really know how good some of these guys are.

Like the motto of my favorite wrestling podcast says, it used to be better.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
DlOHSxYWsAAH4WF.jpg

I guess we know who's next.

I bet I'm the first person to say this.

Goldberg is claiming he was hacked, which is what you do.

Props to the guy who would hack Bill Goldberg in 2018, great job by you.

In the same way that idiot football coaches call nothing but pass plays on 1st & goal from the 1 so that they can show off how brilliant their plays are when everybody knows a QB sneak will get the job done, the main roster writing crew only wants people to get over because of their writing. And so if a wrestler gets over on his own, it's an affront to the brilliant writing of the writers and then BURIED.

I don't know when this started, probably after the Benoit thing because one of your employees murdering his family should prompt an upswing in micromanagement, but I bet a guy like Steve Austin, when he isn't busy counting his money that he made primarily because he was a brilliant man who understood the business and understood his character better than any wrestler who has ever lived, thanks the heavens that he never got told exactly what to say and exactly how to act.

It's why the wrestlers deserve benefit of the doubt - if the ideas are bad, even great wrestlers will look bad. So we don't really know how good some of these guys are.

Like the motto of my favorite wrestling podcast says, it used to be better.
I think the WWE would love to have another wrestler who would pull in the money Stone Cold did but at the same time they are at the mercy of that wrestler when it comes to negotiations and story lines. Also there is the Daniel Bryan effect where the WWE are at the mercy of the mob. It looks to me like they want a predictable rhythm of business with no one being too hot to handle and keeping a steady cash stream. They are selling the WWE not an individual personality.

If we're bringing back classic OVW stuff, check out this fan cam of Nick Dinsmore vs. Chris Benoit from late 2000.

Dinsmore was a great wrestler. He looked like he belonged in there with prime Benoit, and not a lot of guys can say that when it comes to pure wrestling.

That Creed entrance music tho...

Nick Dinsmore v. C.M. Punk back in OVW = :fire::fire::fire:
My favorite post-Attitude Era wrestling TV show ever was the one Paul Heyman did in OVW where he built the entire hour show around a 3-way dance for the OVW title between Punk, Brent Albright and Ken Doane (Dykstra). 10 minutes for a feud recap, 10 minutes for promos, 40 minutes for the match.

Albright and Doane both should have been mega stars. I can't understand how they could get it so wrong on both of them. However your favorite misused superstar was misused, he wasn't screwed worse than either Brent Albright or Ken Doane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT