ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

I’m a big Cornette fan. Always have been. Always will be. I’ve met the man a couple times and he was always top notch to me.

I don’t always agree with him, but I get a kick out of how much his opinions upset the modern wrestling fan.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Honestly can't remember the last time I clicked on a Cornette YouTube link, because I could honestly not care less about his opinion on today's product.

Controversy Creates Cash
Racism Reaps Rewards?
I told YouTube to stop recommending his channel so only way I’ll watch anything from him is if I get Rick Rolled

I just like listening to him talk about old stuff. Same in person. He will talk your ear off about 80s stuff. At least he did when he was doing conventions and what not.
Same with me for Cornette. And Meltzer. Like when they act like historians, don’t care about their analysis or opinions.

Though you have to question Meltzer’s historical accuracy after that while Shibata had his brain temporarily removed thing after he had the emergency surgery for a hematoma that nearly killed him.

Roman Reigns took like 5 F5's from Lesner and still survived. LOL, before, one and your ass was finished. By trying to make guys look strong by kicking out, it makes the offensive guy look weak but the other guy kicking out of so many finishing moves. You can still have finishing moves in Wrestling, hell maybe even kick out of one, but 4/5 times ? It makes the move just another part of the match. Same with the high flying spots. you can still have them, just not EVERY other sequence be that.
Yeah kick out of signature moves but then let someone lose on a small package. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Col. Angus

Wow. Lol.

I thought Osprey/Strong, Copeland/Black, Swerve/Christian and Anarchy were all worthy of 4+ stars.

Everything else, nope. Worst matches of the night were: Jericho/Hook/Shibata, Storm/Deeb (crowd couldn’t have given less of a f about it)
Orange/Trent (Trent and Deeb both have negative charisma. Make Lance Storm look like Rocky by comparison)

Well then…

The agent for Gable Steveson told ESPN's Adam Schefter that his client signed a contract with the Buffalo Bills on Friday.
Steveson won a gold medal in freestyle wrestling at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo before embarking on a career in professional wrestling with WWE, but he was released from his WWE contract earlier this month.

Guys I hate to break it to ya but those of you that swiped about Cornette - he already had you blocked and he didn’t see it.

If TK gets 145 or whatever then good for him - I think our uncle Dave said 120-125 was probably a break even point so anything above that is good for business.

If TK gets 145 or whatever then good for him - I think our uncle Dave said 120-125 was probably a break even point so anything above that is good for business.
The 110 number that's been bandied about would be a pretty decent number if it was just TV only. Though Andrew Zarian and SRS say they have heard several different numbers with some being much bigger than 110, and Zarian seemed to give the impression that 110 was like the minimum AEW would be getting now.

But how good whatever dollar amount they get will be entirely dependent on whatever it includes. LIke say they only get $110, that would be a decent number if it was TV only. If it included everything - all their content on Max, including next day streaming rights, simulcasting, library, and free PPVs like WWE on Peacock - that would not be a good number at all because of the PPVs alone. Like each PPV alone is generating over $5 million in revenue. Of course AEW doesn't get all that, they spilt it with the carriers/distributors.

Now if WBD/AEW added PPVs at a premium on Max as part of the deal, they could basically cut the price in half and still get the same amount of revenue out of it because the middle man in the distributors would be cut out. And surely more people would be buying if the price was decreased.

Of course the ideal solution for the fan is for them to be free like WWE does with Peacock, but it has to make financial sense for AEW to do it. You can always argue by taking a loss on the PPVs and making them all free that you can generate more viewers for the PPVs which could have downstream benefits, but that would be mere speculation with also only speculative financial benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeraldV
According to Alfred Konuwa, the June 1st edition of AEW Collision garnered an overnight average viewership of 122,000 viewers, accompanied by 34,000 viewers in the crucial 18 to 49 demographic. This marks significant decrease from the previous episode, which drew in 366,000 viewers with 0.14 rating in the same demographic.
Fast nationals aren't accurate, though it wouldn't surprise me if the number comes out bad. Unless you just wanted to see a good ass Ospreay match, it was an entirely skippable show for most.

Not sure how you view it unless you have Facebook, but this Hulk Hogan vs Curt Hennig match is excellent and 100x better than anything you see today

Not sure how you view it unless you have Facebook, but this Hulk Hogan vs Curt Hennig match is excellent and 100x better than anything you see today

Curt Hennig is one of the best in ring workers in history. Damn shame drugs got him because he'd be a great guy to have around. Just like having Arn Anderson and William Regal. You have to try to have a bad match with him.

Hogan was a competent worker in the ring. He knew his place. He knew full well what got over in the USA and what got over elsewhere. Zero reason to chain wrestle or jump off shit when the only thing people want to see are him hulk up and do a leg drop.

Somewhat wrestling related: I needed $15 to make an Amazon order eligible for free shipping. Found a copy of AEW fight forever for $19.99.

Bought it. Quick review: Decently fun to play, game play is stiff, graphics look like shit for this generation of console. Totally worth $20. Absolute ripoff for $60. The WWE 2K series is so far ahead there’s no comparison.

I already hate uncle howdy
Its because every wrestling "insider" and the "insider sites" ruin everything. Part of the reason wrestling fans long for the Attitude Era is because things happened and the thrill of the situation was purely spontaneous. Sure, there were predictable things but the surprises were awesome.

There will have to be some very strong writing and booking to get that group over long term based on the names I have seen. Quality of the people in it screams midcard mafia.
It could quickly become that stable from last year (forgot the name already) b/c none of the names are viable talent - I just hope they don’t run it down our throats with constant interference and vignettes.

It could quickly become that stable from last year (forgot the name already) b/c none of the names are viable talent - I just hope they don’t run it down our throats with constant interference and vignettes.

Remember “Retribution” that was Vince’s version of antifa? Then the big reveal turned out to be a bunch of developmental guys led by a main roster job guy (Ali)? Within a month they were a job stable despite being introduced as viscous thugs who could singlehandedly take over a show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT