ADVERTISEMENT

Changes coming to Rupp Arena

The 2014 designs included expanding the second tier of Rupp Arena and installing a new glass outer wall. Under the plans unveiled Thursday, the top of Rupp Arena would still be visible. The current metal siding would be removed and it would get a new exterior covering. The glass or transparent covering would only go up a little more than half way. The plan would still “free Rupp Arena” so people can see it from Main Street. Currently, Rupp is only visible from High Street.

“I’ve had people stop me in front of the Hyatt and ask me ‘Where’s Rupp Arena?’” said Bill Owen, president and CEO of Lexington Center. The Hyatt is connected to the convention center.

By not expanding the upper bowl of Rupp Arena, the group saved about $100 million, said Owen.

Thanks to new technology that was not available three years ago, Lexington Center can replace the benches on the second-tier of Rupp with chair-backed seats. Owen said he will travel soon to a stadium that used that technology to see if it will work in Rupp Arena.

The addition of the chair-backed seats would result in fewer seats in the very top portion of the arena, Lexington Center officials said. The exact number has not yet been determined.

Rupp would get four new hospitality suites. One would be available exclusively for University of Kentucky for its men’s basketball program use. The three other hospitality suites can also be used for meetings or exhibit space, said Mankin.

Luxury boxes were once popular in arenas. Now people want areas like private clubs where they can go before, during or after events, Mankin said.

So basically Rupp is getting a sun room?

Sunroom_designrulz-37.jpg

PMAC to Add Largest Center Hung Videoboard in Nation
BATON ROUGE – The Maravich Center on the LSU campus will be home to the largest center hung videoboard in college basketball when the school completes installation of the new board later this month.

Featuring the latest in HD technology, the Maravich Center videoboard would rank 11th in size among all center hung boards in NBA arenas.
IPNXNWHSHPSJOGN.20170720150154.jpg
It will need to be that big so the many people not at the game will see it.

How can "new technology" enable us to replace the benches in upper arena with chairs? Chairs take up more room. Do we now have technology that creates room out of thin air without actual expansion?

I'm not doubting it, just don't understand. But I'm not very tech savvy, so...

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
Im all for making changes to Rupp and staying put. When they tore down busch stadium I was never the same in St. Louis. Walking downtown its like something is missing. Id hate to see that fate happen to rupp. Leave my memories alone.

But less seats will mean higher ticket prices, something people are already too upset about.

Maybe make the Louisville game an open gym charity event. Free tickets to see Kentucky scrimmage against the city college.

How can "new technology" enable us to replace the benches in upper arena with chairs? Chairs take up more room. Do we now have technology that creates room out of thin air without actual expansion?

The next line in the article says that they will come at a cost to total seating capacity. New technology does not change that fact...just that there is new tech that may not reduce the total seats by as much as before. The size of the American butt has increased over the years so its hard to envision an actual seat rather than just something supporting the back. Anything would improve the suck that is sitting in the upper arena.

Reactions: oceanna

Probably something like this and put everyone's knees in the back of the metal and leave no room to get out of your seat.
76BC73ECEC3EDDBA731C961E.jpg

That isn't new technology that would match what they are talking about though. I'm guessing something more like this.
tuf-seat-installation1.jpg

Those are the seat upgrades at BYU Stadium. They appear to just bolt on bench seats. I can't find any dates on when that happened though to see if it matches up with the past few years.

Whatever it is it likely will cause ticket prices to go up to pay for this and the increase in cost for the basketball team to use Rupp each year. So possibly more comfort at a higher premium. Probably will price me out of going to games permanently. Oh well it is more comfortable on my couch in front of the big screen with my bad back.

If we can win with JJ then Will Wade shouldn't have a problem beating Cal.

I don't know what is more unbelievable, that LSU has--get this--basketball fans, or that one would have the unmitigated gall to attempt to troll a team that not only has historically dominated LSU but is usually considered the greatest college program of all time. Unreal.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The next sentence where they mention that this will result in fewer seats....... the devil is in the details.

True. Personally, I'm OK with that. A lot of upper is empty for the "gimme" games and in between semesters. It will only be an issue for the big games.

I don't know what is more unbelievable, that LSU has--get this--basketball fans, or that one would have the unmitigated gall to attempt to troll a team that not only has historically dominated LSU but is usually considered the greatest college program of all time. Unreal.
You didn't know LSU had basketball fans? You must be trolling

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
The 2014 designs included expanding the second tier of Rupp Arena and installing a new glass outer wall. Under the plans unveiled Thursday, the top of Rupp Arena would still be visible. The current metal siding would be removed and it would get a new exterior covering. The glass or transparent covering would only go up a little more than half way. The plan would still “free Rupp Arena” so people can see it from Main Street. Currently, Rupp is only visible from High Street.

“I’ve had people stop me in front of the Hyatt and ask me ‘Where’s Rupp Arena?’” said Bill Owen, president and CEO of Lexington Center. The Hyatt is connected to the convention center.

By not expanding the upper bowl of Rupp Arena, the group saved about $100 million, said Owen.

Thanks to new technology that was not available three years ago, Lexington Center can replace the benches on the second-tier of Rupp with chair-backed seats. Owen said he will travel soon to a stadium that used that technology to see if it will work in Rupp Arena.

The addition of the chair-backed seats would result in fewer seats in the very top portion of the arena, Lexington Center officials said. The exact number has not yet been determined.

Rupp would get four new hospitality suites. One would be available exclusively for University of Kentucky for its men’s basketball program use. The three other hospitality suites can also be used for meetings or exhibit space, said Mankin.

Luxury boxes were once popular in arenas. Now people want areas like private clubs where they can go before, during or after events, Mankin said.

I spent 4 years at UK, 3 of them with Rupp open, and yet when I visited a couple of years ago we were pretty much right on top of Rupp before we finally saw it. You'd think such a large arena would be more visible than it is from some vantage points.

I was wondering the same thing about this "new seat technology". Perhaps they're referencing something similar to what they did at AT&T Stadium in Dallas. Skip to the 1:50 mark of this video.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT