ADVERTISEMENT

CBS: UK winning despite Cal holding back Shep and Dilly

The stats don't show that when Sheppard has started, we have lost a majority of those games. They also don't show that Dillingham gets a little loose with the ball and gets sloppy on defense which negates his playing time...
Just when I thought Leadbelly and a few others were competing for worst poster on RR, you have entered the mix. Congrats!

Last edited:
You're switching the argument. I'm not claiming we lost because Reed started.

The claim on this board is that: If Cal would just start the right guys, we wouldn't start slow and lose. But, Cal has started Reed multiple times. We've started slow in most of them. We've lost multiple games Reed started in.

I'm NOT claiming Reed starting is the reason we lost. I AM telling you we start slow even with Reed as a starter.
The best lineup has Reed in it, start him, end of discussion. Our starting lineup is statistically the worst lineup Cal plays. Cal doesn’t like being proven wrong so nothing will change. It’s not about DJ, Reed, or Rob, it’s about Cal, some won’t admit it.

Starting lineup should be changed. Our two best players coming off the bench is egregious, especially considering the guard getting the spot in front of them is one of our worst by every metric
I would be much more concerned if our best players are playing fewer minutes.

Reed played 35
DJ played 28

And we still complain.

Played for many years and sometimes I started and sometimes I didn’t.

Meet much less to me than how many minutes I played and more importantly, who was it at the END OF THE GAME!!!! LOL

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
I would be much more concerned if our best players are playing fewer minutes.

Reed played 35
DJ played 28

And we still complain.

Played for many years and sometimes I started and sometimes I didn’t.

Meet much less to me than how many minutes I played and more importantly, who was it at the END OF THE GAME!!!! LOL
You didn’t mention Dillingham’s minutes.

Reactions: UKortho
The best lineup has Reed in it, start him, end of discussion. Our starting lineup is statistically the worst lineup Cal plays. Cal doesn’t like being proven wrong so nothing will change. It’s not about DJ, Reed, or Rob, it’s about Cal, some won’t admit it.
The best lineup has Reed. I agree.

I don’t think it matters if DJ’s minutes come in the 1st 5 or the next 5. I really don’t.

If DJ is the reason the score changes in the opponents favor—it will happen regardless of when his minutes come.

Therefore, I don’t really care if Reed starts or not. He get 35 minutes. He had 32 points. Really being held back.

The best lineup has Reed. I agree.

I don’t think it matters if DJ’s minutes come in the 1st 5 or the next 5. I really don’t.

If DJ is the reason the score changes in the opponents favor—it will happen regardless of when his minutes come.

Therefore, I don’t really care if Reed starts or not. He get 35 minutes. He had 32 points. Really being held back.
If we agree that Reed is better than DJ, and the offense flows better with Reed at the point, why wouldn’t his coach start him? That’s the question, and why defend this? As far as your comment about the score changing in the opponents favor with DJ in and that it doesn’t matter if it’s the first five mins he plays or the second five. He’s likely playing against the opponents sub not their starter if he subs in later. And personally I think that’s how he should be used.
But Cal won’t bend to the pressure of admitting he’s wrong, so DJ will keep starting and playing his obligatory 2-3 mins before Sheppard comes in. Unless Cal is so mad he sits Sheppard longer.

Cal loves his holes dug deep...makes for better rock fights...

3Gb8Ywx.gif

P_SS on Cal and the rock that hits him...

It's not.

I know you think that because ThunderCat98 thinks it, it's true. But when your preferred starter gets the start...we still start slow. Why?

Because the first 5 minutes don't decide the game.

It sounds like you believe DJ playing the 1st 4 or 5 minutes puts us behind. Imagine we start Reed and start off well (even though we haven't when Reed starts). Imagine we bring in DJ at the 4 or 5 minute mark. Now, when DJ comes off the bench, are we going to grow a lead in those minutes or lose it?

Some of you seem to think that DJ playing the 1st 5 minutes is a negative. But DJ playing the next 5 minutes isn't the same negative. That's ridiculous.
No. I think it because analytics show that it is true.

Reactions: crestcat
Kentucky is starting to play good and the anger and second guessing ramps up. Funny how that's always worked with Kentucky basketball. Soooo many wanted us to crash and burn but now we're firmly in the tournament and trending up. Kills the Calipari and or Kentucky haters. Just kills them.

The key is playing to win the most games the best way your team can play, not the only method you know. Yeah there are some Cal haters, let him get this team winning most games and then..... Yeah,....

Reactions: IL Wildcat
The key is playing to win the most games the best way your team can play, not the only method you know. Yeah there are some Cal haters, let him get this team winning most games and then..... Yeah,....
The article linked is dumb as sh*t. Reed played 35 minutes the other night and Rob sat with foul trouble. he also referenced losses where Reed STARTED the game. Dude was clearly scrambling for an aritlce to write and still wrote a sh%tty one.

I don’t disagree with anyone on this. I’m actually torn. Having coached myself I’ve seen first hand the value in bringing stuff off the bench. I’ve seen the opposing team shit themselves trying to strategize around it and save legs early to get ready for the coming onslaught. I’ve seen the panic it causes and I’ve seen the spark you get from it. But you damn sure better be able to trust your starting 5 to hold down the fort. If only we were better at defense this would not be such a hotly debated topic.

He's the coach. He knows his team better than our fans or the media. Any coach does.
Not necessarily true. I have known coaches personally that were pure idiots. They weren't college coaches but I don't think you can identify many large groups of people that don't include some stupid people.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
The stats don't show that when Sheppard has started, we have lost a majority of those games. They also don't show that Dillingham gets a little loose with the ball and gets sloppy on defense which negates his playing time...
Now do the stats for the second half at South Carolina when Reed barely played.

Reactions: WildcatDJ and Ugoff
Just rewatched the entire 1st half vs Kansas. Started down 9-0 with our standard lineup. Dilly came into the game and started lighting it up hit 4 out of his first 5 from 3 point range racked up 16 first half pts.
Reed came into the game a little later was on a heater hitting 2 straight 3's including a 26 footer and had at least 3 steals in the 1st few minutes he was in but picked up his 2nd foul with around 9 mins to go in the half and Cal sat him the rest of the half.
The end of the half proved to be costly we were up 12 but had a foul on over the back with less than 30 seconds left and Dickenson hit 2 FT's. Then with no Reed in the game Dilly drives and threw it out of bounds with 5 seconds left so instead of being up 10 with last shot Kansas got the ball and Dickenson hit a 3 at the buzzer.
We felt good about the 7 point lead at the half (and soon to be 14 point lead in the 2nd half) but we all know what happened.
Thiero was a beast in the 1st half as well but both Wagner and Burks sucked it up big time in the 1st half.
We didn't have any of our 3 bigs yet somehow we were out rebounded by only 3 (45-42) and Kentucky still managed 15 offensive rebounds while Kansas only got 8 offensive rebounds.
Pretty amazing playing with only Mitchell vs Dickenson.
What killed Kentucky is Dillingham picked up a couple early 2nd half fouls and then fouled out and barely played in the 2nd half he finished the game with just 16 mins
Cal held Sheppard down he played only 16 mins (finished with 3 fouls) that certainly wasn't the right move Sheppard went 4/5 from the field with 3/4 from 3 and 2/2 from the line.
Crazy Cal playing him just 16 minutes was criminal and a big reason we lost this game.
Play your best players
Oh and Wagner you ask ? Finished the game 1/12 from field for 4 pts

So by all means continue to not start your best players
If Reed starts this game we likely would have won (or maybe if Cal let him play more then Wagner at least)
Wagner 25 mins Sheppard 16 mins
Reed did get into foul trouble in the first half but he still only played about 11 mins in the 2nd half that was criminal.

Just rewatched the entire 1st half vs Kansas. Started down 9-0 with our standard lineup. Dilly came into the game and started lighting it up hit 4 out of his first 5 from 3 point range racked up 16 first half pts.
Reed came into the game a little later was on a heater hitting 2 straight 3's including a 26 footer and had at least 3 steals in the 1st few minutes he was in but picked up his 2nd foul with around 9 mins to go in the half and Cal sat him the rest of the half.
The end of the half proved to be costly we were up 12 but had a foul on over the back with less than 30 seconds left and Dickenson hit 2 FT's. Then with no Reed in the game Dilly drives and threw it out of bounds with 5 seconds left so instead of being up 10 with last shot Kansas got the ball and Dickenson hit a 3 at the buzzer.
We felt good about the 7 point lead at the half (and soon to be 14 point lead in the 2nd half) but we all know what happened.
Thiero was a beast in the 1st half as well but both Wagner and Burks sucked it up big time in the 1st half.
We didn't have any of our 3 bigs yet somehow we were out rebounded by only 3 (45-42) and Kentucky still managed 15 offensive rebounds while Kansas only got 8 offensive rebounds.
Pretty amazing playing with only Mitchell vs Dickenson.
What killed Kentucky is Dillingham picked up a couple early 2nd half fouls and then fouled out and barely played in the 2nd half he finished the game with just 16 mins
Cal held Sheppard down he played only 16 mins (finished with 3 fouls) that certainly wasn't the right move Sheppard went 4/5 from the field with 3/4 from 3 and 2/2 from the line.
Crazy Cal playing him just 16 minutes was criminal and a big reason we lost this game.
Play your best players
Oh and Wagner you ask ? Finished the game 1/12 from field for 4 pts

So by all means continue to not start your best players
If Reed starts this game we likely would have won (or maybe if Cal let him play more then Wagner at least)
Wagner 25 mins Sheppard 16 mins
Reed did get into foul trouble in the first half but he still only played about 11 mins in the 2nd half that was criminal.
Wagner must’ve been injured and not 100%. That’s what I keep hearing is the reason for his struggles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT