ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports Writer Kyle Boone Grades UK a C+ this week

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I think C+ is a little harsh. Probably B or B-

The MSU game is understandable. Solid team, hostile road environment, Hubbard hits big shot after big shot…most teams leave w an L there under the same circumstances.

The Arkansas game should have never been in question after we got the first double digit lead. To give uk that big run and go down 9 against a mediocre team… thats where the room for handwringing comes….end of the day we rallied and won by double digits so anything below a B seems silly

B is fair. Have to give the Cats a lot of credit for the huge conference road win vs Miss State. It was reasonable to expect a better overall performance vs a below .500 Arkansas team though it was a 2nd straight comeback win. Something Kentucky hasn't done much in recent years regardless who the opponent is or where they are playing. It was a productive win to get DJ back on track and a good one from Bradshaw too.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I just saw this article linked and wanted to get some thoughts on it here.

This guy sounds like some of our fans around here. Wins aren't good enough. Gotta dominate. What do you think? C+? Kansas lost twice but is just below us in grading with a D.
What a joke, Duke gets an A for beating Virgina and a High School team! Yay. That should be a C+ at best.

Last edited:
A C+ is fair. We played decent on Tuesday and below average on Saturday.

Grading us at C+ for the week is actually a compliment. If you think we deserve a better grade, your expectations are lower than that of a random sportswriter.

Writers just do this crap to get clicks. They know BBN will flock there and read his blathering, but hey, also see all those ads and maybe click one and buy something!
Yep, I think you're right. That was exactly what I was thinking as I clicked. Haha! 🤣

I'd give this week a B+. Winning on the road over Miss St as an underdog is worth an A but with Arkansas scoring 102 and pushing us to the brink brings the grade down. There's another way to look at that Arkansas win, but I get why most would lower the grade because of it. Still, C+ isn't fair at all, especially given Kansas got a D with 2 losses. If 2 losses gets a D, 2 wins gets at least a B, even if one was closer than expected. So, by his own scale, he fails. I condemn him as a hypocrite just fishing for clicks.

C+ is killing them to write, we have been low at CBS since Parrish was hired there. This is more about Cal than UK’s play. IMO

If we want to analyze how we played.. then how about we analyze how Arkansas played better than they have all year and had Davis back, who missed like 6 games this season?

Or do we not do that? Look at things objectively?

I can tell you this, watching NCstate now.. Arkansas would absolutely throttle NCstate and any other conferences middling teams with the way they played the other afternoon. Heck, they might have even beat any non top10 team.

We won twice, while averaging 100pts a game. Not sure how that isn't a B or greater. Whatever lol.

An incredibly superficial analysis by someone paid to understand college basketball.

In both games Kentucky had players step up under difficult circumstances. Beating Mississippi State on the road and with a gutty performance down the stretch was as good as any win by a top 20 team last week. Arkansas played its best game of the year (including a win over Duke) hit an incredible percentage and 23-24 FTs. And Kentucky still comes back from 9 down on the strength of freshmen playing with poise.

B-plus, and a promising week for the post-season.

The defensive performances were woeful to say the least…
But…

Hardly any team wins a game at StarkVegas when Hubbard was hitting three pointers while doing Triple Lindy’s off the diving board like Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School.

Also, the Hogs played incredible Saturday. UK didn’t make it hard but gee whiz. 27/28 from the ft line and lose by 9. That other team must have been good!

I’d given Uk a B.

And I’m a 26 year teaching vet and give grades all the time!

If we want to analyze how we played.. then how about we analyze how Arkansas played better than they have all year and had Davis back, who missed like 6 games this season?

I can tell you this, watching NCstate now.. Arkansas would absolutely throttle NCstate and any other conferences middling teams with the way they played the other afternoon. Heck, they might have even beat any non top10 team.

We won twice, while averaging 100pts a game. Not sure how that isn't a B or greater. Whatever lol.
Yeah, I was wondering if the guy even watched either of our games. I'm thinking probably not. If all you look at is a final score, you're not getting the whole picture. Arkansas didn't play the way they have been and that wasn't entirely because of poor defense by UK. That was Arkansas' absolute best game. Listen to Musselman talking about it afterward...

“I thought it was by far our best offensive game, not even close. I thought we played as hard as we played all year. The effort, the focus, the belief, all those things were as good as they’ve been." And he also said... "I’m not sure that I’ve been around a team that played this hard, went 27-28 from the foul line, had 10 steals, 13 assists, and come away with a loss, but you’re talking about a Kentucky team that can win a National Championship and playing in their building.”

Should that matter? It should matter. But not to a guy like this one. And it won't matter to anyone looking to criticize UK or the UK coach.

You can’t let this Arkansas team put 102 up on you at home Defense in that game was an F.
Defense against Miss St was an F as well.
Offense was an A in both games.
That gives an overall grade of C. I’m good with it.

Arkansas did play better than they have all year, Kentucky also was terrible defensively minus like 4 or 5 mins at the end.

Arkansas did play better than they have all year, Kentucky also was terrible defensively minus like 4 or 5 mins at the end.

But we still won both games. One of which was a Q1 win on the road.

Don't be a battered woman. I feel like some of you let espn and other outlets talk you into being bad lol. Great offenses sometimes exist because they ease up on defense. We changed our focus to be offensive driven so it's no surprise that our defense took a hit.

If Duke or Kansas has had this exact same result? B+ grade. Maybe even an A.

Yep, I think you're right. That was exactly what I was thinking as I clicked. Haha! 🤣

I'd give this week a B+. Winning on the road over Miss St as an underdog is worth an A but with Arkansas scoring 102 and pushing us to the brink brings the grade down. There's another way to look at that Arkansas win, but I get why most would lower the grade because of it. Still, C+ isn't fair at all, especially given Kansas got a D with 2 losses. If 2 losses gets a D, 2 wins gets at least a B, even if one was closer than expected. So, by his own scale, he fails. I condemn him as a hypocrite just fishing for clicks.
Just cracks me up to say we shouldn’t have struggled so much with Ark. it was what a 13.5 spread? Won by 9 and if you actually watched the game and didn’t just look at their record they shot sooooo much better than they have all year. Another poster made the comment that our D wasn’t great but they don’t shoot that well unguarded in shoot around. If a team plays their best offensive game of the year and you still finish em off by 9 I think that says positive things about your team not negative things.

But yeah, we’re likely just feeding into it by giving it clicks so we can all get irritated and discuss it. Ragebait as it were, definitely drives interaction.

Last edited:
You can’t let this Arkansas team put 102 up on you at home Defense in that game was an F.
Defense against Miss St was an F as well.
Offense was an A in both games.
That gives an overall grade of C. I’m good with it.
Miss st to me isn’t a F. Hubbard was hitting contested jumpers all night, and tolu smith was allowed to play football all night

But we still won both games. One of which was a Q1 win on the road.

Don't be a battered woman. I feel like some of you let espn and other outlets talk you into being bad lol. Great offenses sometimes exist because they ease up on defense. We changed our focus to be offensive driven so it's no surprise that our defense took a hit.

If Duke or Kansas has had this exact same result? B+ grade. Maybe even an A.
Your a good poster and I like alot of you posts. But man Kentucky is terrible defensively there aren’t caveats or ways to downplay it, Kentucky isn’t good defensively. The offense is otherworldly, but these media outlets saying our defense is bad isn’t a lie at all. There is a path for them to make a run like Miami last year but the defense will never be the reason why

DukeA+Duke responded to getting stuck in a court-storm a week ago with an impressive 2-0 week in which it ran both Louisville and Virginia off the floor. Duke's dismantling of UVA on Saturday was particularly jarring as it held the Cavaliers under 50 points in a 73-48 beatdown

VirginiaD+Tony Bennett's UVA team mustered just 48 points in a blowout loss to Duke, marking the fourth time in its last five outings it has failed to score 50. Most unwatchable team in CBB right now resides in Charlottesville

Lol. Gives Duke an A, and VA a D, based in this logic. Garbage.

I just saw this article linked and wanted to get some thoughts on it here.

This guy sounds like some of our fans around here. Wins aren't good enough. Gotta dominate. What do you think? C+? Kansas lost twice but is just below us in grading with a D.
I think most fans on here love this team and are dealing with Cal the best they can. I don't think this is the time for cheap shots on the fans. This team seems to be growing. Let's all concentrate on that and not divisive talk. I know some hate Cal no matter what. Just keep enjoying the team and ignore it.

I think most fans on here love this team and are dealing with Cal the best they can. I don't think this is the time for cheap shots on the fans. This team seems to be growing. Let's all concentrate on that and not divisive talk. I know some hate Cal no matter what. Just keep enjoying the team and ignore it.
Sure, that's why I said "some." For my part, I don't care what they say about Calipari. I get it. But let's support this team. And "some" can't say a positive word about the team for fear that it could be misconstrued as support for the coach. And so I say, I hope we win every game and I don't care who gets any credit for it.

Reactions: true blue1
Not a joke . Gary Parrish told everyone months ago nothing positive on UK due to his hatred with Cal . He has ranked us super low all year

Last edited:
If that was a C+ effort, the rest of the nation better hope they don’t see our B+ or god forbid our A game, because we would walk to a title. Both efforts this week would have beat any team outside maybe the top 10

My hunch is Kyle didn’t watch either game and just looked at the box scores. If you watched both, you’d realize Miss St and Arkansas both had massive beer muscles and played their A to A+ game. Which considering Arkansas has a Duke win and MSU has wins over Auburn and Tennessee, is pretty damn impressive.

My hunch is Kyle didn’t watch either game and just looked at the box scores. If you watched both, you’d realize Miss St and Arkansas both had massive beer muscles and played their A to A+ game. Which considering Arkansas has a Duke win and MSU has wins over Auburn and Tennessee, is pretty damn impressive.
Yeah, I'm thinking your hunch is right on the money. If he had actually watched those games, I don't think any reasonable person could come up with a grade of C+ for UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT