ADVERTISEMENT

UK/PENN Box score, takeaways, and a comparison to the...2020 team?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
Box score below.

First the bad:

This team is bipolar. We dominate and we doze off. We STILL cannot guard the high screen. The refs were ATROOOOOCIOUS in the first half. Spinoso was allowed to murder and molest Tre and Bradshaw with impunity, whereas he had a forcefield of ticky-tacks surrounding him.

We have trouble attacking the zone, as usual.

Now the good:

Reed Sheppard is without question THE heart and soul of this team. He produces on defense and he hits BIG shots. He moves the ball and understands when to slow it down.

Dillingham is coming into his own. He's taking his cues from Shep and Cal about situational awareness. He backed out several times today due to numbers or clock, very smart.

Bradshaw is THE TRUTH. This guy is DANGEROUS. Hitting threes? The man is a freaking red oak. We've missed having a big guy like this for sooooo long and he delivers. ZOMFG we could be deadly if we could somehow learn to guard the high screen.

Wagner played within himself today. Very impressive. Still missed a bunny at the rim. Needs to tighten that up.

This team sort of, at least SO FAR, reminds me of the 2020 team. Early inexplicable loss to a weak OOC team, has trouble putting people away, but can go on amazing runs. If you remember in 2020, we had at least a dozen games where we had double digit leads in the second half and had to hold on to win. But we did close out games. If we can hit our free throws this could be a sub-10-loss season.

STARTERS
MINPTSREBASTFG3PTFTSTLBLKTOPF+/-

BENCH

A. Reeves
2616317-132-60-1001211

A. Thiero
156203-50-00-02011-3

D. Wagner
309174-91-20-0102011

J. Edwards
146303-50-00-00004-4

T. Mitchell
364942-70-20-0013216

A. Bradshaw
29171107-121-22-4130318

R. Sheppard
276532-41-31-2310117

R. Dillingham
2217316-143-52-320309

All good points.

Wondering how edwards is gonna deal with 14 a game if that keeps up.

Still feel mitchell is playing way too damn much.

All good points.

Guessing Edwards will have more than 14 most games. He got his 2nd foul in the first half with several minutes left till half.

I’m still trying to figure how spinoso got 2 FTs on that first play of the 2nd half. No way he was in the shooting motion. He knocked Bradshaw to the floor and gets a blocked shot. Smh

Reeves gets a clean block and gets saddled with a foul. Smh

I was in the middle of some family coming over, had it on in the background.

My big takeaways:

- Bradshaw will be a force, already seeing some nice progress. Maybe a little Bam-like in his game?
- still some selfish play at time, obviously defense needs work.
- still an issue with teams shooting lights out on us from 3.
- no way Penn gets this type of foule treatment at any other big program. I tuned in often to see plenty of sickly white Penn players hacking, grabbing and doing whatever they can to stop our drives, with no whistle. IMO Penn loses by 25 if this was at Kansas or Duke (not this Duke team lolol, but others in the past).

Reactions: grevey35
I’m still trying to figure how spinoso got 2 FTs on that first play of the 2nd half. No way he was in the shooting motion. He knocked Bradshaw to the floor and gets a blocked shot. Smh

Reeves gets a clean block and gets saddled with a foul. Smh

Dude was throwing elbows too and getting away with it.

Four guys never got fouled in the act of shooting?

iu

I’d say he will pout. He fed ain’t happy with it. Hopefully he can start playing better. We need him to be much better.
Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt around here, do they? Every indication is that Edwards is a great kid and teammate with a great attitude.

He's struggling at this level, but the talent is there. Hopefully he figures it out and learns to contribute while not being the star of the team.

Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt around here, do they? Every indication is that Edwards is a great kid and teammate with a great attitude.

He's struggling at this level, but the talent is there. Hopefully he figures it out and learns to contribute while not being the star of the team.
The frustration is due to a FIXABLE problem - Edwards isn't applying himself in practice and the gym like the other dudes on the team, and it shows on the court. That's disrespect to his teammates and his uniform, and he should be criticized for it. If he busted his ass off the court he COULD be the star of this team.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The frustration is due to a FIXABLE problem - Edwards isn't applying himself in practice and the gym like the other dudes on the team, and it shows on the court. That's disrespect to his teammates and his uniform, and he should be criticized for it. If he busted his ass off the court he COULD be the star of this team.
So, you're at all the practices and we don't get regular updates.

Reactions: BluPappi81

This is news to me. Do you have more information on Edwards going through the motions at practice while others are putting in effort?

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
First of all, I was responding to the other poster that he thinks Edwards will pout. I don't see any indication that he will.

Secondly, you have no idea what he is and isn't doing in practice and otherwise. Like I said, some of you just assume the worst in the absence of information to the contrary.

This team has been much better than 2020, at least so far.

That team basically lived off of their ability to hit free throws late in a close game. They were a ticking time bomb, imo.

Reactions: ukfan041
So, you're at all the practices and we don't get regular updates.
Wow, are you grossly uninformed.

Cal CONFIRMED that Edwards isn't preparing for games properly.

You should pay better attention instead of just spouting off ignorance.

First of all, I was responding to the other poster that he thinks Edwards will pout. I don't see any indication that he will.

Secondly, you have no idea what he is and isn't doing in practice and otherwise. Like I said, some of you just assume the worst in the absence of information to the contrary.
See my post above. I DO know what he's doing, because Cal spoke about it. I guess you don't listen to postgame remarks. Try and keep up with the rest of the class, youngster.

Wow, are you grossly uninformed.

Cal CONFIRMED that Edwards isn't preparing for games properly.

You should pay better attention instead of just spouting off ignorance.
I hadn't heard the Calipari comment but your interpretation of it that I first responded to it only vaguely resembles what you say Calipari said. Not preparing properly does not mean doesn't apply himself.

And do you really think not hearing everything said = "grossly uniformed"? Really? Grossly?

See my post above. I DO know what he's doing, because Cal spoke about it. I guess you don't listen to postgame remarks. Try and keep up with the rest of the class, youngster.
Lol youngster? I'm 44 and have been on this board since Tubby was the coach.

No I had not heard that because I can't stand to listen to Cal's pressers. Haven't listened to him in years.

Reactions: dl51344 and UKortho
If it's true that Edwards is slacking in preparation, he shouldn't be starting.

gave my opinion. If you don’t like it I don’t care. That is to whoever responded to me like I was giving fact. My opinion that Edwards would def not be happy with 14 minutes a game moving forward. Anyone this he will be ok with that?

Reactions: UKortho
Box score below.

First the bad:

Agreed with a lot of what you posted, but this point is bizarre.

According to SynergySports (the leading data provider), entering today, we have played 66 offensive possessions against Zone.

We are averaging 1.258 points per poss against Zone in the half court (compared to just 1.066 against half court man to man).

We're shooting 55% from the field, 52% from 3, and an effective FG% of 69% against zone.

We do NOT struggle against Zone. We obliterate zones.

for today at least, Sheppard's offense was on the losing end of Bradshaw getting minutes

for today at least, Sheppard's offense was on the losing end of Bradshaw getting minutes
True, I think, and Shep had a couple assists to Bradshaw. Cal is going to play his top recruits destined for NBA after 1year at UK as much as possible. Bradshaw had a good game, and I think he will get stronger as the season progresses.

• Haha
Reactions: KAB Cats
Box score below.

First the bad:

This team is bipolar. We dominate and we doze off. We STILL cannot guard the high screen. The refs were ATROOOOOCIOUS in the first half. Spinoso was allowed to murder and molest Tre and Bradshaw with impunity, whereas he had a forcefield of ticky-tacks surrounding him.

Now the good:

Reed Sheppard is without question THE heart and soul of this team. He produces on defense and he hits BIG shots. He moves the ball and understands when to slow it down.

Dillingham is coming into his own. He's taking his cues from Shep and Cal about situational awareness. He backed out several times today due to numbers or clock, very smart.

Bradshaw is THE TRUTH. This guy is DANGEROUS. Hitting threes? The man is a freaking red oak. We've missed having a big guy like this for sooooo long and he delivers. ZOMFG we could be deadly if we could somehow learn to guard the high screen.

Wagner played within himself today. Very impressive. Still missed a bunny at the rim. Needs to tighten that up.

This team sort of, at least SO FAR, reminds me of the 2020 team. Early inexplicable loss to a weak OOC team, has trouble putting people away, but can go on amazing runs. If you remember in 2020, we had at least a dozen games where we had double digit leads in the second half and had to hold on to win. But we did close out games. If we can hit our free throws this could be a sub-10-loss season.

BENCH

STARTERS

A. Reeves
2616317-132-60-1001211

A. Thiero
156203-50-00-02011-3

D. Wagner
309174-91-20-0102011

J. Edwards
146303-50-00-00004-4

T. Mitchell
364942-70-20-0013216

A. Bradshaw
29171107-121-22-4130318

R. Sheppard
276532-41-31-2310117

R. Dillingham
2217316-143-52-320309
Bradshaw was the MVP today.

I hadn't heard the Calipari comment but your interpretation of it that I first responded to it only vaguely resembles what you say Calipari said. Not preparing properly does not mean doesn't apply himself.

And do you really think not hearing everything said = "grossly uniformed"? Really? Grossly?
Absolutely. You know Cal will always understate what's going on with his favs. So if he's saying that in public, the reality is that the kid is not applying himself. Try to move the goalposts all you want, but you came at me as though I made it up, and clearly I did not.

Box score below.

First the bad:

Now the good:

BENCH

STARTERS

A. Reeves
2616317-132-60-1001211

A. Thiero
156203-50-00-02011-3

D. Wagner
309174-91-20-0102011

J. Edwards
146303-50-00-00004-4

T. Mitchell
364942-70-20-0013216

A. Bradshaw
29171107-121-22-4130318

R. Sheppard
276532-41-31-2310117

R. Dillingham
2217316-143-52-320309
Well if it’s like 2020 there’s gonna be another plandemic and no tournament soo let’s not huh

I was in the middle of some family coming over, had it on in the background.

My big takeaways:

- Bradshaw will be a force, already seeing some nice progress. Maybe a little Bam-like in his game?
- still some selfish play at time, obviously defense needs work.
- still an issue with teams shooting lights out on us from 3.
- no way Penn gets this type of foule treatment at any other big program. I tuned in often to see plenty of sickly white Penn players hacking, grabbing and doing whatever they can to stop our drives, with no whistle. IMO Penn loses by 25 if this was at Kansas or Duke (not this Duke team lolol, but others in the past).
With another prior UK coach Penn is run out of the building IF he'd had this team.

Reactions: sefleming
With another prior UK coach Penn is run out of the building IF he'd had this team.

I don't agree with this at all.

We like to think past coaches can win with the talent that Cal has. But these aren't Juniors and seniors who past coaches had 3 or 4 years to work with.

I'm not sure that Pitino or Rupp, in today's game, 2023, are getting anymore out of 18 year Olds than Cal is.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I don't agree with this at all.

We like to think past coaches can win with the talent that Cal has. But these aren't Juniors and seniors who past coaches had 3 or 4 years to work with.

I'm not sure that Pitino or Rupp, in today's game, 2023, are getting anymore out of 18 year Olds than Cal is.
Disagree.....Pitino's style of play would have seen this team trapping and pressing Penn. They would have worn them down and run them out of the building.

All good points.

I agree

I think we would be much much better playing Theiro 27/28 mins a game and let him get into a groove. This kid has star written on him and it's gonna be hard to get him there rotating with Edwards

Reactions: dl51344
Disagree.....Pitino's style of play would have seen this team trapping and pressing Penn. They would have worn them down and run them out of the building.
He's never once had a team do that consisting of all new players and most 18 years old.
If they stayed 2/3 years I agree with you, but a lot of coaches could get that with these guys 3 years

He may have made them run the court.. but I don't think he has all the fundamentals down, the conditioning, the shooting and offense. Mistakes will be made

It is historically not easy to get the maximum potential.. or anywhere near it, really.. with freshman. Coach K struggled with it, most coaches want nothing to do with it. Not sure why we think Pitino is making freshman into Final 4 squads.

Reactions: grevey35
Agreed with a lot of what you posted, but this point is bizarre.

According to SynergySports (the leading data provider), entering today, we have played 66 offensive possessions against Zone.

We are averaging 1.258 points per poss against Zone in the half court (compared to just 1.066 against half court man to man).

We're shooting 55% from the field, 52% from 3, and an effective FG% of 69% against zone.

We do NOT struggle against Zone. We obliterate zones.
What? You have actual facts and data to back up what you’re saying? Not just an opinion on what you THINK is happening?

You are certainly in the minority on this board lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT