ADVERTISEMENT

CBS grader gives UK a C, Dook a D and UL a F

Watching 3 GA lay-ups off of own-basket, out-of-bounds plays = “F” for Defense — heck it could have easily been 4 but an easy in-bounds lay-up was missed.

Only thing worse was UK football only having 10 men on D, and giving 2 easy TDs to UF.

Heck, even the announcer on Sat said (paraphrase): “…one of UKs assistants is squirming in their seat “— whomever is responsible for that D. — what he doesnt realize is that this is just usual and customary practice!!
Ingame adjustments has never been Cals strong suit .

Guy said UK made "boneheaded decisions" in key moments.

There literally was no key moment in that game. It was never even close to being in doubt. So, yeah.

The worst defensive team to win the title since 2002 had a defensive ranking of 22nd according to Ken Pom. We are currently ranked 73rd and dropping. We were in the 40's just before the start of the SEC schedule.
I think it was Baylor that entered the tournament ranked like 40 defensively? Of course, after winning 6 straight that goes up.

Edit: yeah, Baylor started tournament at 44. Moved up 22 spots after winning title. Interesting article. https://johngasaway.com/2022/03/08/stop-worrying-about-top-25-in-both-offense-and-defense-at-kenpom/

Last edited:
A C is a compliment in a way. If he rated last week as an A, I'd reckon he has rather low expectations lol

The 96 squad scored 86 in the FIRST HALF at LSU.
This is one of my favorite stats, going back to the 93-94 team. The last 20 minutes of the 94 game we scored 63 points and in the first 20 minutes of the 96 game we scored 86. For forty minutes on their court (of course between two completely different teams/seasons) we scored 149 points which averages roughly 3.7 points per minute lol.

If this is C grade UK then we’re winning the championship, the team I saw vs Georgia is going to be nearly impossible to beat. This team has so much potential!
You must have saw a different game....the team I saw gave up 61 2nd half points and numerous dunks on in bound plays. The defense looked like a Blue/White game. This will get us killed against elite teams. So, don't cut down the nets just yet.

Also don’t forget the 96 team was 2-4 years older than these guys. Mostly juniors and seniors

Reactions: FltDoc
Tennessee looked like the real deal against Bama’s offense. Auburn looked like the real deal, but I don’t think OM is nearly as good as Bama. Game against UT will be our best indicator of how well we handle a good to great defense, because we’re sure to run into a few of them in March
I picked UT to win the conference based off of our defense -- hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I looked up a crazy stat from the 1996 Wildcats.

They averaged 91.4 points per game for the season, and only gave up 69.4 points per game.

They scored 100 or more 10 times, and they scored at least 118 points six times.

So when Jack Pilgrim and his sensationalist buddies say, "We've never seen anything like this offensively", they either have short term memories, or they weren't old enough to see the greatest team in modern college basketball.
That's probably the best college basketball team I have ever seen. Good Lord, the depth of talent.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
That's probably the best basketball team I have ever seen. Good Lord, the depth of talent.
They had killers.

This current team exhibits all the woefulness of the modern pampered elite athlete. Afraid of contact. Afraid of injuries. Afraid of messing up draft stock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT