ADVERTISEMENT

UK/PENN Box score, takeaways, and a comparison to the...2020 team?

All good points.

Wondering how edwards is gonna deal with 14 a game if that keeps up.

Still feel mitchell is playing way too damn much.
Yeah I think Mitchell is playing too much right now also. I feel like with Bradshaw back we could kind of run with him and Adou for rebounding. I like tre when he is hitting shots but he hasn't been hitting them lately. I feel like Adou gets overlooked.

Reactions: dl51344
Disagree.....Pitino's style of play would have seen this team trapping and pressing Penn. They would have worn them down and run them out of the building.
You can't just tell a team to go trap and press and expect it to work. Those are schemes that need to be taught. We tried it a few times today and Penn broke it quite easily and it led to easy buckets. In fact, most teams can easily break a press in 2023. It's not the '90s anymore.

But let's assume it's still a really effective strategy. It's still a scheme that needs to be taught to the freshmen. And that's on top of all the other normal things you have to teach freshmen when they start college ball. I don't think there's any real reason to think Pitino would be any more successful with the type of talent that Cal has. It's easy to teach complicated schemes to guys who hang around for three or four years. Much harder when they're on campus less than a year.

You can't just tell a team to go trap and press and expect it to work. Those are schemes that need to be taught. We tried it a few times today and Penn broke it quite easily and it led to easy buckets. In fact, most teams can easily break a press in 2023. It's not the '90s anymore.

But let's assume it's still a really effective strategy. It's still a scheme that needs to be taught to the freshmen. And that's on top of all the other normal things you have to teach freshmen when they start college ball. I don't think there's any real reason to think Pitino would be any more successful with the type of talent that Cal has. It's easy to teach complicated schemes to guys who hang around for three or four years. Much harder when they're on campus less than a year.
These guys have been playing since the summer. Surely they can pick up the finer points of how to do this.

I don't agree with this at all.

We like to think past coaches can win with the talent that Cal has. But these aren't Juniors and seniors who past coaches had 3 or 4 years to work with.

I'm not sure that Pitino or Rupp, in today's game, 2023, are getting anymore out of 18 year Olds than Cal is.
I'd probably go with this line of thinking. Its actually my biggest complaint about Cal.

18 year olds, no matter how good, just aren't going to dominate college basketball. At best its a crap shoot between your collection of 18 year olds and another teams., At worst, its them against a veteran team that has learned to play within themselves, know how to deal with adversity and can close out tight games.

Its bad enough when those 18 year olds have to face that in November or December but the flawed thinking is that they are prepared and ready in March, but that is never the case with the exception of 1 year. What the reality is , is they are not prepared for veteran teams who understand the magnitude of a one and done tournament, who know a cheap foul or a bad shot may be the difference in their season being over and them playing professional ball or working for a consulting firm

You can't teach or get that kind of experience from freshmen

We really don't need to look any further than the Zion Williamson Duke team. Arguably the greatest collection of starting talent as freshmen in the history of college basketball, got sent home early.

similar to Cals teams, again, and again, and again.

and people will point out all the final fours and title games Cal has, again only 1 team in that mix was truly freshmen

True, I think, and Shep had a couple assists to Bradshaw. Cal is going to play his top recruits destined for NBA after 1year at UK as much as possible. Bradshaw had a good game, and I think he will get stronger as the season progresses.
this is a myth. He plays the top recruits because they are good. Herro wasn't his top recruit, but when he started playing great, he played.

Reactions: ukcatz12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT