• C

Votes: 35 9.9%
  • D

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • F

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
It’s an A. B+ at absolute worst.

Anyone in C,D,F territory is either impossible to please or is younger than 25 and doesn’t remember the title droughts from 58-78; 78-96; 98-12.

Cal averages 30 wins a season and makes the FF 40 percent of the time. Our players are always great kids and usually play very unselfishly considering their high schools accolades.

Cal absolutely kills it in the non-basketball “ambassador” part of the job.

All you dolts trying to run the guy off are likely “grass is greener” dipshits who don’t remember 1979-92 or 1998-2009 at all.

All you dolts trying to run the guy off are likely “grass is greener” dipshits who don’t remember 1979-92 or 1998-2009 at all.
uh, there was a title in 1998. But you did leave out 1959 to 1977. Or is Rupp sacrosanct?

Perhaps a better way to put this into perspective is to remind them that from 1959 to 1995 - 37 years - there was only one title.

It’s an A because.

Most wins in decade
Most tournament wins
Most final fours
Most elite 8’s
Most sweet 16’s
Second most conference titles (Kansas)
Second most titles (Vill, Duke)
Most draft picks
Most lottery picks

If that’s a B then damn this is harder than I thought.
This. Cal is keeping us at the top of the sport. I’ll take 10 more like the last 10. Who knows we might sneak in a few more titles as well.

Yeah - it's just that literally every coach in the country comes up shorter, going by tournament wins.

And this is Kentucky are we supposed to accept what happens at all the other schools, What I want to see after the last two loses in the tournament is for us to beat the teams we should have, Kstate and Auburn were not near as good as Kentucky yet we made them look great.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
uh, there was a title in 1998. But you did leave out 1959 to 1977. Or is Rupp sacrosanct?

Perhaps a better way to put this into perspective is to remind them that from 1959 to 1995 - 37 years - there was only one title.

We’ll start with late 1998 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol some of you guys expectations are out of this world. Remember the previous coaches who won multiple championships after Rupp? Yeah, me either. I guess UK basketball has been a failure for 50 years
Which one of those coaches had atleast 4 nba players on every one of their teams though?

C for me solely due Being the biggest underachiever of the decade and blowing 2-3 more titles that were right there for us to take.

I would have said B if not for the last 4 years. The last four years have been Tubby level years and nobody can deny that. It’s not a good sign when your coach is living off the reputation of the first half of his tenure at your school because the most recent half has sucked.

Last edited:
And this is Kentucky are we supposed to accept what happens at all the other schools, What I want to see after the last two loses in the tournament is for us to beat the teams we should have, Kstate and Auburn were not near as good as Kentucky yet we made them look great.

Do you remember us losing to MTSU and UAB in consecutive years in the 80s?

Do you remember us beating overall No. 1 seed OSU in 2011 or undefeated Wichita State in 2014?

Shit happens. Best team doesn’t always win.

Yep. I was 11 when we won the title in 1998. I was 24 when I drove from Louisville to Lexington on a Sunday night to greet Josh Harrellson and crew coming back from securing the next Final Four we'd go to. I know that 1998 was the only time since NINETEEN FIFTY ONE that we won two titles less than 7 years apart, and the only time since 1958 we won two titles less than 14 years apart. I know that Cal's run has been only the 3rd time in our history we've made 4 Final Fours in a span of 10 years or less.

What don't you get about the fact that every other coach in the country wins less and has more upsets/embarrassing losses than Cal?

Worst case scenario, he'll drop a game with a 4 seed gap. He wins more than anybody in the tournament and goes further on average, so sure enough, he loses to much better teams on average.

K, Self, and everybody else have repeatedly taken tourney exits considerably worse than Cal's worst tourney upsets at UK.

This isn't a point that can be debated. The facts are against you.

If you want to go down the "he owes us two championships by now" trail, then have at it.

But talking about Cal having too many embarrassing tourney outs is like talking about the world's strongest man not lifting enough weight.

It doesn't make any sense. It's a non-starter. Abandon the point. Try a different angle.

Reactions: ukfan041 and Myotis
If he had 2 titles with this amount of talent, would be an A.

Right now he's a B+.

Yep. I was 11 when we won the title in 1998. I was 24 when I drove from Louisville to Lexington on a Sunday night to greet Josh Harrellson and crew coming back from securing the next Final Four we'd go to. I know that 1998 was the only time since NINETEEN FIFTY ONE that we won two titles less than 7 years apart, and the only time since 1958 we won two titles less than 14 years apart.

It’s maddening that so many fans don’t know our real history.

I expect to be in contention yearly and eventually we’ll break through. The people who expect a title each year are setting themselves up to be perpetually disappointed and bitter. See it all the time on this board.

Reactions: dcw62 and ganner918
Which one of those coaches had atleast 4 nba players on every one of their teams though?

So would you rather not get the players? Cal gets the talent and has us in the elite 8 almost every year, you cannot ask for more. What other coach in our history (since Rupp) has given us that opportunity year after year? Quit being so damn hard to please

The last coach at UK to win his 2nd or more championship is Rupp in 1958 when he won his 4th. Some of you (not you specifically) act like Cal not winning more than once in 10 years is uncommon in our history. But, 1 title in 10 years is exactly on pace for what UK has done. Tournament has been around for 80 years, we have 8 titles

Reactions: ukfan041
Solid A.

A+ would have been two titles.

A because of 1 Title, 1 Runner-up, and 2 Final Fours.

7 Elite 8's (8 Sweet 16's) in 10 years (which is insanity).

And more total wins than any other coach over that time period.

Solid A- or B+ , losing the past two years in underwhelming fashion makes it hard for me to give a A . And this offense must change , or we will not get # 9 under his watch .

I think the last two years specifically are why many are not giving him an A. The tournament draws opened up for us both years and we lost to teams we shouldn’t have.

Since the 2015 FF loss in general, things have seemed off. We haven’t even been consistently good enough in the regular season to grab a 1 seed. Before that loss, he would have got an A++, no debate.

I would also say many are disappointed with the past 4 years just because they pale in comparison to his first 6.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this last night.It's been 10 years and for me the first 6 years were wonderful I would grade Cal's performance an A.The last 4,probably a C.Overall for me,probably a B-.Just want to see what the board thinks.In no way am I advocating getting rid of Cal but I have been coming to this board for over 14 years and it's always interesting to see the varying opinions.
B plus should of had 2 tittles

I would also say many are disappointed with the past 4 years just because they pale in comparison to his first 6.

But the poll was for his entire 10 years.

All coaches have down periods relative to their overall level of performance, if they hang around long enough.

Smith's last two years were well below his first 8.
Hall's entire career was up and down.
Rupp himself had only one title and two FFs in his last 21 years.

A+++++++++!!!! Been watching the cats for 50 years and I have never seen them in the mix year over year over year. Please don’t lose site of Bill Gillespie and Tub Smith. Go Cats and can’t wait till next year!
You're just as delusional if you are going to equate Smith and Gillispie.

Sometimes I have to repeat this. During Smith's ten-year tenure Kentucky...
...won an NCAA Title
...won five SEC regular season titles
...won five SEC tournament titles
...had the first ever sweep of the SEC including the tournament
...had a winning record against every other SEC team and OOC rivals Louisville, Indiana and North Carolina
...any many people probably don't realize this one, but during the 2005 season, after 7-1/2 years under Smith, Kentucky achieved the highest all-time winning
percentage it has ever had, .7671. (In other words, Smith successfully built on the all time wins/pct legacy Rupp, Hall and Pitino left and pushed it even higher- hard to include Sutton in there, but you could). Even ten years under Calipari hasn't fully recovered from the Gillispie debacle (though one more year ought to do it)
And yet you all still complained to fire Tubby. Please! I will take Cal’s run over anyone’s period and to be frank so would you !!!!!

As much as the last 5 years have been frustrating, it has to be an A.

When Cal took over I’d have signed for this 10 year run.

And yet you all still complained to fire Tubby. Please! I will take Cal’s run over anyone’s period and to be frank so would you !!!!!
*I* didn't "complain to fire Tubby". I was one of his biggest supporters. I realized that his performance was consistent with Kentucky's long-term level of success, going back to the '40s. I was just pointing out that Smith is much much further ahead of Gillispie than Calipari is beyond Smith. Smith and Gillispie should never be considered even relative equals.

And we're on the same side here. People are nuts to complain about Calipari, if you told them 10 years ago this was the level of success he would bring, every single person complaining now would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.

There is a contingent of fans on here who think the extreme pinnacles of success here, ie 1948-1953, 1994-1998, 2010-2014, should be the common level of performance, seemingly not realizing that those years represent only 15 years out of 80 years of NCAA tournament history. They're destined to be disappointed more often than not.

Those previous coaches never had Cal's insane load of talent! Apples to watermelons!

Sort of a weird argument you're making there.

Like saying you can't compare PJ to Richards because of the insane points PJ scores, apples to watermelons.

10 years ago we were irrelevant. He Instantly made us top 3/4 in the country.
Sure we didn't win a couple of titles that we should have but he's also the reason we were close.

There is a contingent of fans on here who think the extreme pinnacles of success here, ie 1948-1953, 1994-1998, 2010-2014, should be the common level of performance, seemingly not realizing that those years represent only 15 years out of 80 years of NCAA tournament history. They're destined to be disappointed more often than not.

To summarize, we have some spoiled fans with a exaggerated sense of entitlement.

Kinda shocked to see all the C and D grades.Those of you who voted that,would like to see the reasoning,good,bad or indifferent.

Gave him a C

A+ recruiter
D does less with those classes than he should
C underperforms relative to talent on his roster in the tournament even though he wins games, not championships games.
B+ wins lots of games
D 2010, 2015 without a doubt should have been title years and we blew those opportunities.

Reactions: catillac32
Recruiting: A+
Defensive coaching: A+
Creating a brand: A+
Creating fan excitement: A+
Public Relations: A+
Offensive coaching: C+
Beating teams that we were better than in the tournament: B-

Overall, A-

I hope we have him another 10 years.

I also hope he brings in an assistant that fixes the offensive paradigm.
Thanks SoS...you summed up my grading of Calipari! [thumb2]

Gave him a C

A+ recruiter
D does less with those classes than he should
C underperforms relative to talent on his roster in the tournament even though he wins games, not championships games.
B+ wins lots of games
D 2010, 2015 without a doubt should have been title years and we blew those opportunities.

Come on man. If he’s a C there’s no A

Come on man. If he’s a C there’s no A

I’m a retired teacher. If I gave cal a rubric based on HIS expectations from day one he has fallen mightily short. Winning 1 championship when in reality should be 3 a solid C

I’m a retired teacher. If I gave cal a rubric based on HIS expectations from day one he has fallen mightily short. Winning 1 championship when in reality should be 3 a solid C

I mean if you want to judge him based off those comments I guess. I’m sure we could agree that he knew it wasn’t a guarantee when he said it.

I’m upset with Cal over falling short of an incredible dynasty that I believe he’s capable of with a few changes to philosophy and style, but when you just look to body of work over a decade, it’s the best. The title discrepancy isn’t nearly wide enough to tilt the decade away from the it being best. The best is an A.

Unless of course you’re someone who thinks UCLA is the greatest program of all time, then you really have to say it’s an A and best of the decade.

It’s an A because.

Most wins in decade
Most tournament wins
Most final fours
Most elite 8’s
Most sweet 16’s
Second most conference titles (Kansas)
Second most titles (Vill, Duke)
Most draft picks
Most lottery picks

If that’s a B then damn this is harder than I thought.

This should have ended the thread after 3 posts. Anyone who reads this post and then says it's anything but an A should never be taken seriously again.

I mean how many coaches are the people not giving him an A grading higher? K, Jay, Roy? It's got to be a short list. So you'll say the at worst 4th best coach in America gets a B or C? You've got to be kidding, trolling, or have unrealistic expectations.

Exhibit A as to why/how we spend more per pupil than any other country in the world yet rank 27th or whatever it is in performance. Your position is logically incoherent. I feel sorry, honestly, for the kids who had to sit through your classes.

Here’s the thing. There are 351 D1 programs. We’ve had the best results since a Calipari has been here. If he’s not an A+, who is? Let’s say your a miserable person who is never satisfied and applies different standards to other programs than you do UK, and you want to put K and maybe Wright ahead of him. Wright hasn’t gotten out of the opening weekend 8 of those 10 years, but whatever. So that’s 2. Maybe throw in Roy, say you want to give him credit for the two titles he got that are outside the relevant time frame. Maybe you just like baby blue, whatever again. That’s 3. So Cal is in 4th place - out of 350.

How many As do you give, anyway, only one or two out of hundreds?

Exhibit A as to why/how we spend more per pupil than any other country in the world yet rank 27th or whatever it is in performance. Your position is logically incoherent. I feel sorry, honestly, for the kids who had to sit through your classes.

You feel sorry for the kids I placed high expectations on? The kids of mine who went to Ivy League schools and top private schools through out the country? Or do you feel bad for my players who played all collegiate levels of soccer not to mention my kids who play or played for the us national team? You ever had a performance review? Any employer to say great job every year is not an employer getting he most out of their employee. Grades are based on goals accomplished: cal hasn’t accomplished his goals thatbhe laid out. Only college coach to have an A in anything is nick saban everyone else has major room for improvement

A damn solid A from me.

Hope cal retires from here in another 10 plus years!
I look at it like if cal’s next 10 years is exactly the same as this past 10 years, we would probably lead in every major stat (total amount of final fours, elite 8’s etc) with exception of total titles. Cal is greatly adding to “the list”. Definitely doing his part to further the greatness of uk basketball!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT