ADVERTISEMENT

Cal putting brakes on...

That may be the most incorrect post in history. He stopped platooning g when pothress was injured. Sharpes’s play had zero to do with Cal. He doesn’t push kid/ into the NBA. He slows pace when it is statistically the right thing to do.

Op wrong 100%

CLASSIC KY-JELLYB-ASS!! Missed these handkerchief posts. Did you get all of the brown stuff off....?

He deserves a lot of blame for things but I think Sharpe and his handlers put the brakes on and Cal and the staff were screwed just like the fans were. The only thing Cal is probably guilty of pertaining to Sharpe is the way he handled Sharpe's decision to not play.
The problem with that being the "only thing" is that it was an enormous thing. Cal totally failed in how he led BBN astray, pretending that Sharpe would still play the next season for Kentucky as late as April. It was straight up deception, and all to protect a fraudulent player from the fans.

That, I could see happening. If it gets too far in his recovery, he probably will opt to not play. And that will cause issues for sure. But it's unfortunately probably the right decision. I said this about Duke's recruits who are injured into December: there should be talks on them shutting it down. Of course, coach K probably threatens them to play lol.
It's already too far into the rehabilitation stage. This things should have been wrapped up in September, according to Bradshaw's own testimony. And why shut down a season 3 months before it's over, especially for a kid who's not even a legitimate top lottery pick at this point? Why should they even come to college at all if that's the case?

Call me cynical about the Bradshaw stuff. I've been bitten already by Wheeler and Sharpe. Will be delighted if he actually plays a second in a Kentucky uniform.

I get it, just saying a little positivity would be good for a change. If sh*t unravels it does...I will be right there to say it is over if it does. This team is built for what Calipari wants to do. If he cannot win with this group, he won't.

Reactions: storm1507
Yeah, because we wouldn't want to lose out on other recruits who plan to do the same thing.
You guys act like if you were named UK coach tomorrow that you wouldn't put up with any of the "political" bs of CBB but you would still win at a UK level.
You can't run a program in 2023 the way Knight did in the 70's and 80's
I remember the story about Knight walking into the locker room and ripping a knee brace off of Daryl Thomas and he could do that in '84.
You're not going to coach major CBB and be able to tell Klutch to go get f**'d or care less about a players pro prospects.
You pull that in '23 and you'll be signing the AJ Stewart's and Mike Williams of the world.

The problem with that being the "only thing" is that it was an enormous thing. Cal totally failed in how he led BBN astray, pretending that Sharpe would still play the next season for Kentucky as late as April. It was straight up deception, and all to protect a fraudulent player from the fans.
Everyone says he handled it wrong but nobody has given an example of how they would have handled it without UK looking bad in the end.

Cal has never lied to the fans. Cal has never pushed a player away.

Cal did right by Sharpe. And that’s exactly what he’s always said he will do. “players first”

I prefer he would be program first. But he’s not lying. He says he will put the players interest over everything and he does.

Everyone says he handled it wrong but nobody has given an example of how they would have handled it without UK looking bad in the end.
"Sharpe has been released from the team because he and his handlers refused to let him play. If you come to Kentucky, and you are healthy, we expect you to enter the game when given the opportunity. I am the coach and ultimately it is my decision who plays. If you do not intend to play basketball, you aren't welcome here. As I have said many times, at Kentucky I cannot hide you."

And no, I absolutely do not care if that hurts recruiting. Any recruits who would be bothered by being expected to hit the court and play aren't the type of people I want on the team.

What could be said to the media that wouldn't make Cal and UK look bad and potentially hurt recruiting? If they say it's because he refuses to play and plans to leave then it looks like sour grapes on our part. If we dismiss him from the team with no explanation the speculation among the media would be out of control as to why he was dismissed. If we make up some bogus excuse and he comes out refuting the reason then it makes UK and Cal out to be liars. So exactly how, in your opinion, could he kick him off the team and it not be messy? I'm curious to hear how you would handle it.
In a sense I get everything you’re saying and I can’t disagree with any of it.

In another sense, there can hardly be any doubt that what Bob Huggins would have done in the situation would have been to boot the guy off the team very early and only say, “He wouldn’t play.” Then yes the media would have had their feeding frenzy over it. But it wouldn’t all have been negative. It would have been polarizing. And Huggy never did too bad as a recruiter with that approach to politics. Case in point twice in a row Cal needed Huggy’s leftovers to build a frontcourt.

Again, I don’t disagree with the logic. I do feel like there’s some forest-for-the-trees thinking that Cal may have gotten caught up in. The Gordian knot solution seems to be something of an elephant in the room on the topic.

You absolutely would care if it hurt recruiting if you were employed as a basketball coach.
Your improv Cal press release would not be the final word on the issue.
You don't think Team Sharpe would spin their own narrative on the situation?
Who side would Stephen A. take?
I'm sure you know your job better than Cal would and he knows his better than any fan.
I think the Sharpe situation is unique and has never happened at another program to draw compassion although Kyrie practically sat out his frosh year only to return for Duke's one and only tourney game where he threw in 28 in a loss.
Didn't seem to be too much rust from missing over 20 games.
Think he could have came back a little earlier 🤔

"Sharpe has been released from the team because he and his handlers refused to let him play. If you come to Kentucky, and you are healthy, we expect you to enter the game when given the opportunity. I am the coach and ultimately it is my decision who plays. If you do not intend to play basketball, you aren't welcome here. As I have said many times, at Kentucky I cannot hide you."

And no, I absolutely do not care if that hurts recruiting. Any recruits who would be bothered by being expected to hit the court and play aren't the type of people I want on the team.
If you think doing that wouldn't be used against UK by every other school you are wrong. You can say I don't want those kids and that is fine but it would be used against you with every kid. Opposing coaches would spin it any way they could to the moms and dads when they are sitting in their living rooms to convince them not to play here.

“Get here early so you can watch Shaedon warm up” .

Cal has never lied to the fans. Cal has never pushed a player away.

Cal did right by Sharpe. And that’s exactly what he’s always said he will do. “players first”

I prefer he would be program first. But he’s not lying. He says he will put the players interest over everything and he does.
Your last statement is possibly the only thing ever that you and I agree on . I guess the main difference we have, is how strong we feel about the first part of it .

I get it, just saying a little positivity would be good for a change. If sh*t unravels it does...I will be right there to say it is over if it does. This team is built for what Calipari wants to do. If he cannot win with this group, he won't.
Pretty much where I'm at. Staying positive for this year...actually excited to see this team. However, another flop and I'll find a better way to spend my spare time.

Easy. You come out and say "It's come to our attention that he never intended to fully commit to the program and its goals." And you dismiss him from the team. Of course the Sharpe "family" would run their mouth, but by the time it would've been done, Feburary-sh, I think most reasonable people would've figured it out.

I know Cal doesn't like to Greyhound people much, but if somebody lied to me like that? Buddy, I'm telling the whole world.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Easy. You come out and say "It's come to our attention that he never intended to fully commit to the program and its goals." And you dismiss him from the team. Of course the Sharpe "family" would run their mouth, but by the time it would've been done, Feburary-sh, I think most reasonable people would've figured it out.

I know Cal doesn't like to Greyhound people much, but if somebody lied to me like that? Buddy, I'm telling the whole world.
Sharpe not playing got almost no national media attention.
It's only a story among UK fans.
I don't why you would advocate Cal making it into a national story which is what it would have became if he called Sharpe out publicly or dismissed him.
If a kid has been injured and says he can't go then a coach isn't left with a whole lot of options.
Cal could not release any medical info on Sharpe per federal law.
It's always better to let a problem kid or a kid who's not buying in just quietly exit the program instead of trying to make an example of them.

Sharpe not playing got almost no national media attention.
It's only a story among UK fans.
I don't why you would advocate Cal making it into a national story which is what it would have became if he called Sharpe out publicly or dismissed him.
If a kid has been injured and says he can't go then a coach isn't left with a whole lot of options.
Cal could not release any medical info on Sharpe per federal law.
It's always better to let a problem kid or a kid who's not buying in just quietly exit the program instead of trying to make an example of them.
What are you talking about? Sharpe wasn't injured. Release medical info? Nobody asked for that? And yes, limited injury info does NOT violate HIPPA.

Cal's loyalty should be to UK....the people that freaking pay him.

I'm not saying Cal had to come out and harshly call out Sharpe. But what he let happen IS on him. Period.
No other place in reality would've let you get away with what he did. Try showing up to your job and not doing any production work, but say only read the training materials. Your boss won't put up with that for long.

This whole post REEKS of excuses.

This whole post REEKS of people who think Cal or Shaedon Sharpe owe them an apology.
I fixed it for you.

This is coming from someone who was upset with the whole situation but I just don't think dismissing him or calling him out in the media is going to end positively from a national standpoint. Would it make UK fans feel better sure but that is all it would accomplish. You also say his loyalty should be to "UK.....the people who pay him". How do you know he didn't consult with Mitch and Dr Capilouto and was advised to handle it that way? I highly doubt they had no clue what was going on nor had input on how it should be handled.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
I fixed it for you.

This is coming from someone who was upset with the whole situation but I just don't think dismissing him or calling him out in the media is going to end positively from a national standpoint. Would it make UK fans feel better sure but that is all it would accomplish. You also say his loyalty should be to "UK.....the people who pay him". How do you know he didn't consult with Mitch and Dr Capilouto and was advised to handle it that way? I highly doubt they had no clue what was going on nor had input on how it should be handled.
You can argue Cal doesn't owe an apology. But Sharpe sure as crap does. And he did NOT make the best impression on not only UK folks but NBA people.

https://www.nationofblue.com/nba-ex...w-do-we-trust-a-kid-whose-camp-brazenly-lies/

Now, I don't necessarily fault Sharpe for getting his, but the WAY he did it was wrong. He/His camp strung UK along. They blatantly lied.

"I'll do whatever the team needs," he said, "but 100 percent I will be at Kentucky to play next season."

Followed up with....
“Like I said before, everything happens for a reason,” Sharpe said via Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader. “So I really don’t regret (not) playing. I’m working out for NBA teams now. So I guess I did something right.
All the while Tyty and Grady are out their playing through injures. Dude was a selfish p......and didn't care one lick for UK or his teammates. His attitude says as much.

Not a Cat in my book and never will be.

You can argue Cal doesn't owe an apology. But Sharpe sure as crap does. And he did NOT make the best impression on not only UK folks but NBA people.

https://www.nationofblue.com/nba-ex...w-do-we-trust-a-kid-whose-camp-brazenly-lies/

Now, I don't necessarily fault Sharpe for getting his, but the WAY he did it was wrong. He/His camp strung UK along. They blatantly lied.

Followed up with....

All the while Tyty and Grady are out their playing through injures. Dude was a selfish p......and didn't care one lick for UK or his teammates. His attitude says as much.

Not a Cat in my book and never will be.
I'm not disagreeing with you about Sharpe at all. He will be a player I will never root for over the way he used UK. My only thing is Cal and the UK administration had to be careful with the way they handled it. IT could easily have been a situation where mismanagement could have hurt recruiting for several years.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Sharpe at all. He will be a player I will never root for over the way he used UK. My only thing is Cal and the UK administration had to be careful with the way they handled it. IT could easily have been a situation where mismanagement could have hurt recruiting for several years.
Agree to a point. But they should've said something. I think a lot of NBA folks saw he lied (and not only to us) and several people across CBB did. I dont think you curse the kid out, but no other player in history did what he did to a program. He punked us.

And if Bradshaw pulls a Sharpe (which I don't think will happen), Cal should be absolutely held accountable.

What are you talking about? Sharpe wasn't injured. Release medical info? Nobody asked for that? And yes, limited injury info does NOT violate HIPPA.

Cal's loyalty should be to UK....the people that freaking pay him.

I'm not saying Cal had to come out and harshly call out Sharpe. But what he let happen IS on him. Period.
No other place in reality would've let you get away with what he did. Try showing up to your job and not doing any production work, but say only read the training materials. Your boss won't put up with that for long.

This whole post REEKS of excuses.
With OAD,NIL, agents and the portal, coaches have been stripped of the power they once had over the college game.
The player/coach relationship is mostly business now.
The days of kids coming to college to "grow up" and be mentored by the coach are over at UK's level of play.
Cal has been in the game a long time and has seen everything .
Letting guys like Sharpe, Whitney,Fletcher, etc walk away from the program with a simple "good luck " in your future is in UK's best interest.
Too many kids want to be here to get hung up on a few selfish or delusional ones.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Fans don't agree but he played the situation the right way.
Guarantee you there's never a word said about the "Sharpe situation" by rival recruiters.
Fans and families see things differently.
Cal wisely didn't let one recruit cost him two.
BINGO. Anytime someone brings up Sharpe these days they show themselves for who they are. Cal did the right thing long term. We wouldn't have guys like wagner or Bradshaw if he had kicked him off.

I saw fans on here who were saying Cal was complicit in Sharpe not playing. They thought he knew all along that Shaedon had no intentions of playing. Also, booting him from the team might have made us feel better but I am sure it would hurt future recruiting.
I don't care if it would have hurt future recruiting. If kids are bothered by a coach doing the right thing and BEING A LEADER of the program, then I don't want those kids here. It's not negotiable. Cal has a difficult time doing the right thing.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
You guys act like if you were named UK coach tomorrow that you wouldn't put up with any of the "political" bs of CBB but you would still win at a UK level.
You can't run a program in 2023 the way Knight did in the 70's and 80's
I remember the story about Knight walking into the locker room and ripping a knee brace off of Daryl Thomas and he could do that in '84.
You're not going to coach major CBB and be able to tell Klutch to go get f**'d or care less about a players pro prospects.
You pull that in '23 and you'll be signing the AJ Stewart's and Mike Williams of the world.
You don't get it. If players would be put off by a program that actually make a healthy scholarship player play ball, then what do you think those hypothetical players plan on doing? This crap isn't happening at other programs. Why? because (shocker) most coaches put their program first. That is what they are paid to do. Not coddle selfish people.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I don't care if it would have hurt future recruiting. If kids are bothered by a coach doing the right thing and BEING A LEADER of the program, then I don't want those kids here. It's not negotiable. Cal has a difficult time doing the right thing.
He cares that it would hurt future recruiting because it's his job, no anyone else's.
He did the right thing for UK's long term interest because he understands the inner workings of CBB better than any fan.
I guarantee you a parent of a recruit has never taken issue with how Cal handled Sharpe.

BINGO. Anytime someone brings up Sharpe these days they show themselves for who they are. Cal did the right thing long term. We wouldn't have guys like wagner or Bradshaw if he had kicked him off.
horseXXXX

the goal is to win a national championship, not be an NBA development team for mercenary players.

this is typical of Cal fans. He screws UK over and just because he lands a few good players, suddenly everyone forgets he sxxx all over the program

If you think doing that wouldn't be used against UK by every other school you are wrong. You can say I don't want those kids and that is fine but it would be used against you with every kid. Opposing coaches would spin it any way they could to the moms and dads when they are sitting in their living rooms to convince them not to play here.
And right now we are losing out on players who care most about winning, rather than sitting the bench waiting for the NBA, because we now have the reputation that if you are a big name you can go to Kentucky and get away with anything.

Again, I know which players I would prefer to have on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT