ADVERTISEMENT

Cal putting brakes on...

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Zvonimir Ivisic talk. Seems familiar.

He put the brakes on platooning in the Final Four. Put the brakes on people staying and instead shoved them out the door. He put the brakes on Sharpe and others, so how could we not expect it more? He loves to put the brakes on when we're up by seven scores.

Seriously, this team doesn't ever run the floor well as the season progresses. We get worse and worse. More timid and afraid. All Cal EVER does is put the brakes on, unless it has to do with pushing kids into the NBA

He deserves a lot of blame for things but I think Sharpe and his handlers put the brakes on and Cal and the staff were screwed just like the fans were. The only thing Cal is probably guilty of pertaining to Sharpe is the way he handled Sharpe's decision to not play.

Exactly. I'd also like to think that Sharpe is a true one-off situation. I know people are assuming Bradshaw will do the same thing.. but I highly doubt it. The Sharpe situation isn't the norm, and I bet even Cal knows, if this happens again, he's going to get crucified and it could be the determining factor if he's making $10mil in 2025 or not. Bottom line, the Sharpe situation was not good for Cal, at all.

Exactly. I'd also like to think that Sharpe is a true one-off situation. I know people are assuming Bradshaw will do the same thing.. but I highly doubt it. The Sharpe situation isn't the norm, and I bet even Cal knows, if this happens again, he's going to get crucified and it could be the determining factor if he's making $10mil in 2025 or not. Bottom line, the Sharpe situation was not good for Cal, at all.
I’m expecting the Bradshaw situation to me more like the Jared Vanderbilt year .

the haters and trolls try to act like the Sharpe situation has been the norm, when in reality it was the only time anything like that has ever happened

I’m expecting the Bradshaw situation to me more like the Jared Vanderbilt year .

That, I could see happening. If it gets too far in his recovery, he probably will opt to not play. And that will cause issues for sure. But it's unfortunately probably the right decision. I said this about Duke's recruits who are injured into December: there should be talks on them shutting it down. Of course, coach K probably threatens them to play lol.

Reactions: Girthang

He put the brakes on platooning in the Final Four. Put the brakes on people staying and instead shoved them out the door. He put the brakes on Sharpe and others, so how could we not expect it more? He loves to put the brakes on when we're up by seven scores.

Seriously, this team doesn't ever run the floor well as the season progresses. We get worse and worse. More timid and afraid. All Cal EVER does is put the brakes on, unless it has to do with pushing kids into the NBA
So well said. But the media never asks Cal why he does these things. The media just never comes out and says it.

He deserves a lot of blame for things but I think Sharpe and his handlers put the brakes on and Cal and the staff were screwed just like the fans were. The only thing Cal is probably guilty of pertaining to Sharpe is the way he handled Sharpe's decision to not play.
That's literally the only thing people have an issue with regarding the Sharpe situation. Why do you think it's anything else? If Cal has done the right thing and booted Sharpe from the team, no one would have an issue with that .

the haters and trolls try to act like the Sharpe situation has been the norm, when in reality it was the only time anything like that has ever happened
Fans don't agree but he played the situation the right way.
Guarantee you there's never a word said about the "Sharpe situation" by rival recruiters.
Fans and families see things differently.
Cal wisely didn't let one recruit cost him two.

That's literally the only thing people have an issue with regarding the Sharpe situation. Why do you think it's anything else? If Cal has done the right thing and booted Sharpe from the team, no one would have an issue with that .
I saw fans on here who were saying Cal was complicit in Sharpe not playing. They thought he knew all along that Shaedon had no intentions of playing. Also, booting him from the team might have made us feel better but I am sure it would hurt future recruiting.

Any quotes or is it just complaining to complain?

how could it hurt future recruiting?
if they are going to pull the same stunt, let them go elsewhere
What could be said to the media that wouldn't make Cal and UK look bad and potentially hurt recruiting? If they say it's because he refuses to play and plans to leave then it looks like sour grapes on our part. If we dismiss him from the team with no explanation the speculation among the media would be out of control as to why he was dismissed. If we make up some bogus excuse and he comes out refuting the reason then it makes UK and Cal out to be liars. So exactly how, in your opinion, could he kick him off the team and it not be messy? I'm curious to hear how you would handle it.

I'd add in Sahvir quitting after getting benched (not 100% confirmed but... pretty much obvious the kid quit) but other than that it's a whole bunch of hype and innuendo, whole bunch of a player being hurt without a definite timeline for return, tons of people on here insisting that the kid has "opted out" and we're all morons if we can't see it, then the kid coming back and playing (Tyty, Keion, Clarke, to name a recent few). Hell, we still have a ton of fans who think Vanderbilt was holding out on us when he had surgery after the season and missed almost his entire rookie season in the NBA.

Booting him from the team was the right move if he wasn't going to play

future recruiting be damned - what recruit are you trying to get anyways that would let that sway him? UK expects you to actually play if go there?

Sharpe was the peak Cal players first headache, it should have never happened.

Wait...how can he put the brakes on him??? He's not at UK is he? What? How is this possible? I was told by the experts on this board that he was never coming to UK.

Or is this just the next talking point from the Cal's the worst crowd?

Guarantee you there's never a word said about the "Sharpe situation" by rival recruiters.
Amazing how many people cannot understand this.

Cal handled this the only way possible. The same way any other coach would have.

Lol. That's the only time it has happened!!!!! you just hate cal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ignore Sahvir Wheeler taking his ball and going home mid season last year. Ignore how calipari had to beg Klutch last year to not bench Chris Livingston. And I guess ignore the pre-season smoke about klutch not wanting Bradshaw at UK.

I think every reasonable person would agree with what Cal said about immediate expectations concerning Z. He just got here. It will take a while. If Cal is saying the same thing in December, then you have a legitimate gripe. But now, at this time, I think your statement is just Cal bashing, nothing else.

Reactions: fbrent1972
I appreciate him putting the brakes on the Z talk. Some of the stuff I've read on here re:expectations for him this season have been over the moon ridiculous.

Lol. That's the only time it has happened!!!!! you just hate cal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ignore Sahvir Wheeler taking his ball and going home mid season last year. Ignore how calipari had to beg Klutch last year to not bench Chris Livingston. And I guess ignore the pre-season smoke about klutch not wanting Bradshaw at UK.
I forgot , its mid October - the Cal love crush is strong with some. Wait until April and they'll stop talking about him doing the right thing

That, I could see happening. If it gets too far in his recovery, he probably will opt to not play. And that will cause issues for sure. But it's unfortunately probably the right decision. I said this about Duke's recruits who are injured into December: there should be talks on them shutting it down. Of course, coach K probably threatens them to play lol.
It's been almost 8 months on a 3-4 month recovery. It's a Sharpe year again.

That may be the most incorrect post in history. He stopped platooning g when pothress was injured. Sharpes’s play had zero to do with Cal. He doesn’t push kid/ into the NBA. He slows pace when it is statistically the right thing to do.

Op wrong 100%

• Haha
He is plenty guilty in that regard. Couldn't have handled it worse if he tried

the lying about what is going on with players is the norm. Sharpe just took it to the logical extreme. If another players decides he doesn't want to play, Cal will happily cover for him. That is his norm, and you know it.

Yeah, because we wouldn't want to lose out on other recruits who plan to do the same thing.

the lying about what is going on with players is the norm. Sharpe just took it to the logical extreme. If another players decides he doesn't want to play, Cal will happily cover for him. That is his norm, and you know it.
Precisely. Not one person in the administration made any public statement that this will not happen again. So, it WILL happen again. ANY high school player who wants to pull this stunt is now coming here, where they know they can get away with it. May not be this season, but it's going to happen again. So of course, any rational person is going to be suspicious of players who may be "hurt" or "catching up" due to late arrival now etc. It's not like we can trust anything Cal states at face value anymore. He laid the groundwork for fans being suspicious and now looking at these things with a jaded eye.

ignore the fact that everything you posted was nothing but rumors
unless of course you can provide some actual proof..........can you?

And they man up and play. Not Passive Cal, he is just looking for free tickets to games and to say Look At Me!

Precisely. Not one person in the administration made any public statement that this will not happen again. So, it WILL happen again. ANY high school player who wants to pull this stunt is now coming here, where they know they can get away with it. May not be this season, but it's going to happen again. So of course, any rational person is going to be suspicious of players who may be "hurt" or "catching up" due to late arrival now etc. It's not like we can trust anything Cal states at face value anymore. He laid the groundwork for fans being suspicious and now looking at these things with a jaded eye.
Yes it will
Why not come to uk for free room and board, free car, practice your trade and never play. Ccc will cover with you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT