ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on Big Z

Apr 1, 2023

“He’ll be back in town, but it’s got to be a total fight or — you know, I just don’t know how long,” Calipari said. I mean, I had to send him home. He’s 242, down to (219). Come on, man. He wasn’t sleeping, eating. This stuff has gotten to him.”

I am curious about the part "its got to be a total fight". Makes me think he may be talking about a legal fight with NCAA.
Then tried to make sense of the second part which all if it is so very chopped up its certainly difficult to understand at all; but he says afterward,
“I mean, you can’t — it’s not working with, it’s like, ‘Hey man, let’s go.’ "
All so very confusing.
Just wanted to sare what I had read.
The 'Hey man, lets'go' part has to be referring to NCAA

Sure hope we hear something soon
FREE BIG Z

Last edited:
The NCAA is inept, and the power 5 should just move forward with their lives at this point. Kid traveled thousands of miles to play, and it's obviously starting to effect his personal life. Losing weight, probably home sick. I doubt he ever comes back. And all I can think of is fk the ncaa.

I think he wanted to play. But I’d be surprised if he comes back at this point. Probably won’t be cleared anyway. Oh well, not sure how much he would have helped.

Go watch his highlights. He would have helped.

Maybe if we had him for the Canada trip and he was able to keep going since then.

At this point, I think we just gotta roll with Ugo and Bradshaw. Really tough for a young kid to be thrown to the wolves in SEC play.

I know Cal is trying to do right by the Z and fight for his eligibility, I certainly respect that.

Calipari should've known better. He already got burned with Enes Kanter. He needs to stop signing foreigners with questionable eligibility concerns expecting the NCAA to clear them, when there's a good chance they will not. No one benefits from this debacle in the end. And he wasn't even needed this season to make it even more ridiculous.

Calipari should've known better. He already got burned with Enes Kanter. He needs to stop signing foreigners with questionable eligibility concerns expecting the NCAA to clear them, when there's a good chance they will not. No one benefits from this debacle in the end. And he wasn't even needed this season to make it even more ridiculous.

Oh ok. While multiple foreign players in similar situations are cleared & playing.

Again I blame our incompetent Admin department for the August to Oct stupidity & I blame a moronic NCAA who should still be done.

My opinion is all the power schools should just ignore the NCAA & do what they want. Just play him.

EDIT: It takes really special people to sacrifice this kid due to their dislike of Cal & UK.

I went to a VCU basketball game this weekend. They have 2 Aussie players and one from Ukraine. All three start and are new to the team this year! That means they were cleared to play this off season.

The NCAA should be damn clear about the hold up on Z. Otherwise, uk and Z should seek a legal remedy in my opinion.
This is total BS!

I still don’t really even get what the hold up is on Z. He was cleared academically, and we live in an era where players are making big bucks - all in the open. Stop the holy act and just clear the kid. Or at the very least, say no so the kid can move on.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I bet you were one of the people posting that ....

"Cal needs to sign more people"
"This roster is awful"
"What has Cal done all summer besides eating and posting pictures of his dog?"
"Dillingham will never step foot on this campus"
"Bradshaw will never play one second"

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

And if the NCAA had cleared him and he turned out to be a good player, you wouldn't be here playing Monday morning quarterback.

Reactions: the stat man
Maybe they have and I don’t know it, but why aren’t the lawyers all over this and why isn’t the public relations not starting a smear campaign of the NCAA making them regret this slow roll? Seems UK could do a lot more than complain on a short media clip.

I still don’t really even get what the hold up is on Z. He was cleared academically, and we live in an era where players are making big bucks - all in the open. Stop the holy act and just clear the kid. Or at the very least, say no so the kid can move on.
The first article i read yesterday on what Cal said,, it said the holdup was money he'd gotten while playing in his pro league..

Reactions: WildcatFan60
Someone educate me as I’m completely ignorant on this…..with the introduction of NIL money where players are now paid, were there any adjustments by the NCAA regarding consideration of paid foreign players becoming eligible to play college ball in the USA? To me, since paid college players can enroll into other schools (transfer), there might need to be a corresponding adjustment of guidelines regarding foreign athletes who have received some pay prior enrollment into a college in the USA. It seems one thing became immediately very flexible, while the other seems to be as rigid as before. I appreciate anyone’s insight on it to help me better understand.

Reactions: HICATFAN
My God, Cal trying to deflect this onto Z. It's going to be his go-to to try and deflect away from UK admissions and the lack of resolve by the AA / legal team to pursue this beyond simple appeals. This has NOTHING to do with Z's weight, and him not playing when he comes back will have NOTHING to do with his weight or "fight", Cal.

I have already moved on from the idea that Z will be playing in a UK uniform this season. Makes life as a UK fan easier...

Bradshaw and Ugo are more than enough at the 5. I actually would like to see Ugo get 15-20 min a game. Once he learns to not bite on the pump fakes, he should be that bona fide rim protector we have been waiting for the past couple years.

If he never plays for UK he will always be a Cat to me. He’s done everything and wants to play for us so bad.

Total opposite of Shady Sharpe who doesn’t deserve to be called a Cat.
Agree. Z nor Kanter was to blame. Guys went above and beyond to play here, jumping through nonsense hoops, etc.

Wouldn't hold it against them at all.

Reactions: wardlow
Maybe they have and I don’t know it, but why aren’t the lawyers all over this and why isn’t the public relations not starting a smear campaign of the NCAA making them regret this slow roll? Seems UK could do a lot more than complain on a short media clip.
To me it sounds like Cal is telling Barnhart to fight for the kid’s eligibility. I can only assume Mitch is cowered in a corner scared to hurt the feelings of his ncaa buddies while thinking of the next unqualified assistant he can promote to head coach somewhere for a nice discount

Reactions: gracetoyou
My God, Cal trying to deflect this onto Z. It's going to be his go-to to try and deflect away from UK admissions and the lack of resolve by the AA / legal team to pursue this beyond simple appeals. This has NOTHING to do with Z's weight, and him not playing when he comes back will have NOTHING to do with his weight or "fight", Cal.
You are the worst, the absolute worst poster on this forum.

Ummm....Cal did not put this on Z. Good grief!

I hope he gets cleared, and when he does, Cal should use it as motivation and tell the team something to the effect of, "They keep trying to break up our family, but the family has only gotten stronger. They wanted to come into out house without permission, but now we're taking the family to them, to remind them that you don't mess with our brothers."

vB857x.gif

The NCAA is inept, and the power 5 should just move forward with their lives at this point. Kid traveled thousands of miles to play, and it's obviously starting to effect his personal life. Losing weight, probably home sick. I doubt he ever comes back. And all I can think of is fk the ncaa.
Probably exactly what the NCAA hoped. He'd just give up and then they'd not be seen as the "bad guys".

But they are seen as the total bad guys. Inconsiderate idiots who never think in the best interests of the student athlete, per their constant mantra.

Reactions: Mike-D
You are the worst, the absolute worst poster on this forum.

I have to echo this and just say...WHAT? In what possible way do you read that as Cal trying to deflect blame onto Big Z for the current situation?!

This........We can debate about the NCAA but I can't see any excuse at this length of time to not have reached a decision.

Reactions: Tida Nysage
Hope the kid can get the weight back on and get his mind at ease. I've lived that life before, don't wish it on anyone.

Why would he not come back. It's a free ride to the USA with a place to live, eat, and workout with one of, if not the, premier college basketball programs in the world.

The NCAA is just another corrupt POS institution, one of many that "governs" in the USA. imo they have always had it out for UK, why I don't know, but they have. Hiring Calipari was like pouring jet fuel on a hate filled bonfire.

Reactions: westerncat
It is interesting to note that while the NCAA looks into money Big Z may have earned overseas, if he is cleared to play, he will be ineligible to earn NIL money inside the United States as there are visa restrictions that prohibit it. Just interesting to note that if/when cleared, Big Z won’t be eligible for the same benefit his teammates will have the opportunity to receive. Some of his teammates will make big money, while he won’t…but if he earned a little money playing ball in Europe the NCAA examines it under an apparent microscope for months. It may be the current rules, but it just doesn’t make much sense that the NCAA follows old rules for foreign-born players (which make up about 15% of Division 1 athletes), yet other college players can now make big bucks and transfer schools and that’s completely fine. Seems the NCAA needs to adjust guidelines for foreign athletes, atleast clearance-wise….even though they won’t get NIL benefits (Visa prohibited) once enrolled and playing here.

Reactions: Seakat311
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT