ADVERTISEMENT

Cal needs to give it a chance….

i just want to see this team run a zone once to see how it goes, I’ll never understand why Cal can’t just give it a try, it might work better for this team
The way the three-point shot is emphasized in most teams' offenses, zone is not nearly as successful of a defense as it used to be.

Zone encourages the three point shot, something I would not be employing against the majority of teams nowadays. If you think UK is giving up open looks now, one can only imagine what that would look like in a zone....

The way the three-point shot is emphasized in most teams' offenses, zone is not nearly as successful of a defense as it used to be.

Zone encourages the three point shot, something I would not be employing against the majority of teams nowadays. If you think UK is giving up open looks now, one can only imagine what that would look like in a zone....
yep
almost everyone wants a "modern offense" which is an offense that destroys a zone
had we played a zone last night we may have lost the game

This team can barely play man to man defense as it is. It would make zero sense to try teaching them something else so they can suck at two things.

Missouri hit 8 threes. They would have made 12+ if we went zone.

There is a time to go zone. Last night was not one of those times.

A zone defense is designed to compensate for having less quickness and athleticism than opponents. It is a concession that you are not the better team physically and that you have to sacrifice something -- usually open looks from the 3-point line -- to cover up for your physical deficiencies.

In other words, it's the last thing Kentucky needs or should be using. Want to see Kentucky at its best? Then hope that the team maximizes its ability to guard man-to-man.

I honestly think people believing a zone will fix everything when basketball is as 3 point driven as it’s ever been is a disease.

How much success has Syracuse had in the last 10 years?
There are many reasons that Boheim would give. Pick one.

Would be interesting to see full court press with the depth and quickness of some of Cal's teams.

2015 against Wisconsin Cal gave away the championship by not pressing.

Reactions: ukdesi
i just want to see this team run a zone once to see how it goes, I’ll never understand why Cal can’t just give it a try, it might work better for this team
He's just not going to do it. He did it a little this past year because we were so HORRIBLE at stopping straight line drives AND couldn't score on the other end. This team is not much better at defending, but can outscore about anybody in the country.

Instead of a Zone, we need our Bigs to protect the rim better. Which is coming along slowly. Ugo and Aron can help our defense TREMENDOUSLY if they can do a better job of peeling off of their man to block shots or at least alter them.

The key to Cal's defense is ROTATION!!! Once our young guys figure that out, it will make our defense better.

Would be interesting to see full court press with the depth and quickness of some of Cal's teams.

2015 against Wisconsin Cal gave away the championship by not pressing.
Words of wisdom words of wisdom also not taking cauley stein out who could not drop one in the Atlantic that caused his man to help double team Karl Townes who was wreaking havoc on Wisconsin their coach adjusted and cal kept screaming up and down the sidelines while booker rode the pine watching those twins throw the ball away and the 40 and 0 season oh well

Reactions: crashtestdummy
Not hardly, they only played 6 deep. We would have worn them out.
We had 9-10 guys playing considerable minutes.
We’ve had similar rotations and never had a problem with pressing teams. It only works against teams with only one or two competent ball handlers/passers. Especially dumb in the post season with the amount of breaks you get. A team as good as that was offensively would’ve killed us in transition all night.

Words of wisdom words of wisdom also not taking cauley stein out who could not drop one in the Atlantic that caused his man to help double team Karl Townes who was wreaking havoc on Wisconsin their coach adjusted and cal kept screaming up and down the sidelines while booker rode the pine watching those twins throw the ball away and the 40 and 0 season oh well
The twins unquestionably outplayed Ulis and Booker that game…hell they were the reason we were in it.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Not going to happen they don't play zone in the NBA and as long as cal is using Kentucky like a g league for the NBA not going v to happen
Yes, they do. I don’t know why this particular piece of misinformation constantly gets repeated on this board, but it’s simply not true.

Reactions: kingdom come cat
Yes, they do. I don’t know why this particular piece of misinformation constantly gets repeated on this board, but it’s simply not true.
It’s a situational thing that’s easier to do when you have the best players in the world and a lot of time to prepare.

OP is new so be gentle with him. He does have a point.

May not have helped last night, but there have been a hundred games during Cal's tenure, where a zone could have stopped some penetration and forced more outside shots from a team only scoring layups and free throws. That's when you need a zone. And it will happen plenty of times this year as well.

Reactions: kingdom come cat
The twins unquestionably outplayed Ulis and Booker that game…hell they were the reason we were in it.
Karl Townes was the reason we were in it and cauley stein was killing us with his man sagging off to double team him

We’ve had similar rotations and never had a problem with pressing teams. It only works against teams with only one or two competent ball handlers/passers. Especially dumb in the post season with the amount of breaks you get. A team as good as that was offensively would’ve killed us in transition all night.
Wisconsin was not athletic, and a jump shooting team. Attempting to handle the press with 6 guys would have been hell on those legs. Difficult for a jump shooting team, with worn out legs.
I just see it differently.....

Wisconsin was not athletic, and a jump shooting team. Attempting to handle the press with 6 guys would have been hell on those legs. Difficult for a jump shooting team, with worn out legs.
I just see it differently.....
They wouldn’t need to cuz they’d have numbers and they were good passers. It’d be a bunch of layups.

Most of opponents 3’s come from inside out movement of the ball. Zone may actually help this team defend the 3 better as crazy as it sounds.

But the NBA doesn’t zone so Cal will never zone.

Boeheim (yeah I know he was a whiner) played nothing but zone defense. He won the same number of NCAAT titles as Cal. Oh that’s right….one. 😉😆

This team can barely play man to man defense as it is. It would make zero sense to try teaching them something else so they can suck at two things.
I remember when Cal used to say a few games into the season that they were working on the offense and haven't put in any defensive stuff. Seems like that's still his go to. It's a good thing our offense is what it is or we'd have a few more losses. Cal's teams used to be defensive dynamos but it always took later in the year to get there. This team seems like it is further behind on defense than any other team in his tenure here. Kinda head scratching considering the athletes we have. I'm still holding out hope we get there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT