ADVERTISEMENT

Cal isn’t going to play friendly

I know the Lakers was
Nope, he was also looking to leave for Cleveland that year as well..

"What wasn’t known then is just how far along Calipari was in discussions with possible NBA suitors. But Adrian Wojnarowski and Brett Dawson of Yahoo Sports are now reporting that Calipari “had gone deep in discussions with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a seven-year, $60 million contract to become president and coach.”

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert had been persistent in his pursuit and kept returning to Calipari in an effort to deliver full control of basketball operations, sources said.

Gilbert and Calipari had discussed a package in the range of $8 million-plus a year, sources said, and it wasn’t until midweek that Calipari finally rejected Cleveland and fully committed to his seven-year, $52 million extension at Kentucky.

If Calipari had gone to Cleveland, the plan would’ve been for new general manager David Griffin to work with Calipari in the front office, but he would’ve ceded final decisions on personnel matters to Calipari, sources said.

Beyond the considerable length of the proposed contract – with an annual salary that would’ve moved Calipari among the highest paid executives/coaches in the NBA – Calipari had some intrigue with the infrastructure of All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and the possibility of the No. 1 overall pick in the June draft."

He also talked about NIl at Arkansas and took shots at Kentucky about that
Honestly, if Tucker's article and Cal's NIL quote is to be believed, it sounds like Mitch was purposefully making it more difficult for Cal. That said, there's more to the story because of that one donor who couldn't get a word in to Reeves.

Lots of dirty laundry out there that's still in the hamper. Could get *out*. I hope not. The situation needs to end amicably.

Last edited:

"What wasn’t known then is just how far along Calipari was in discussions with possible NBA suitors. But Adrian Wojnarowski and Brett Dawson of Yahoo Sports are now reporting that Calipari “had gone deep in discussions with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a seven-year, $60 million contract to become president and coach.”

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert had been persistent in his pursuit and kept returning to Calipari in an effort to deliver full control of basketball operations, sources said.

Gilbert and Calipari had discussed a package in the range of $8 million-plus a year, sources said, and it wasn’t until midweek that Calipari finally rejected Cleveland and fully committed to his seven-year, $52 million extension at Kentucky.

If Calipari had gone to Cleveland, the plan would’ve been for new general manager David Griffin to work with Calipari in the front office, but he would’ve ceded final decisions on personnel matters to Calipari, sources said.

Beyond the considerable length of the proposed contract – with an annual salary that would’ve moved Calipari among the highest paid executives/coaches in the NBA – Calipari had some intrigue with the infrastructure of All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and the possibility of the No. 1 overall pick in the June draft."
One of my sports re-do wishes would have been UK winning it all in 14. Everything would look vastly different for the program.

Reactions: UKgal82

I have better things to do than to read that

Last edited:
I agree that could have been part of it. Rumor hath it that Joe Craft was not happy Cal didn't support Kelly's run for gov.

I would support Cal’s decision here. Asking coaches to endorse political candidates is a slippery slope. What is some other booster wanted him to endorse Daniel Cameron and another wanted him to endorse Beshear? You put him in an position to alienate fans and/or boosters.

Given what I think I know Cal’s leanings are and I very much know what Craft’s leanings were, it’s akin to asking a vegan to endorse a steakhouse.

People can laugh at him for this but is it wrong? Our NIL has been pretty bad because Mitch was slow to jump on the NIL train. He's got the Tyson family ready to open up the checkbook for their NIL. We don't really have that do we? The fact that he created the La Familia thing and was trying to get former NBA guys to help out kind of proves him right.

Yep.

I mean I think the discussion needs to at least be had here. Seems like one of the big reasons Cal bolted for a place like Arkansas was NIL. If Arkansas is in better shape with this than we are, I think UK is in trouble regardless who is coaching.

We've gone from kids wanting to go to schools to kids wanting to follow coaches. There's no school affiliation anymore for 90% of these kids. There's no doubt that Demarcus Cousins still loves UK, but it was the coach that got him there.

We've gone from that to transitioning into who has the most NIL now. UK is still a premier name in college basketball. UK can still grab top coaches to come here (I think that will be proven shortly) but in order to compete these days u have to also balance that with money.

Yep.

I mean I think the discussion needs to at least be had here. Seems like one of the big reasons Cal bolted for a place like Arkansas was NIL. If Arkansas is in better shape with this than we are, I think UK is in trouble regardless who is coaching.
Come on man this was a genius move that had to be done by all parties to get the poison out of the program, by force. It is better than I could have possibly hoped we don't have to pay the buyout and we're no longer subjected to the absolute obscenity of his last five years here that people are trying to pass off as remotely acceptable.

Yep.

NIL became a thing during Cals serious decline though.

At the moment Arkansas is in the honeymoon phase with Cal, so they are ready to throw money at him

Who wants to put money into a coaching situation where they aren't winning in the SECT or the NCAA?

The thing for Cal was, in order to support his coaching, he has to spend more money than anyone else to be successful

I would suspect a similar bump with our new coach, whoever that will be. But I also believe from a dollar standpoint UK will spend less money and get more players to develop year over year now that we aren't funding the NBA farm team

Last edited:
Here is the thing, majority of the time, if not every year Calipari had one of the best recruiting classes commited to UK, what exactly would more NIL money do to help Cal? Apparently he had all that talent and couldn't win, did he need MORE TALENT?
was thinking same thing. I guess he needs an Anthony Davis every year or Karl Townes to go far in the tourney. Our team was stacked this year but I guess he didn't hire a coach to teach defense. I have never in my life seen a worse defense than what we displayed pretty much all year long. Was like watching a high school freshmen team playing team defense for the first time over and over again.

One thing that's going to work in his favor, the covid 5th year ends next year I believe, and I think some of Cals problems recently were that his young teams just couldn't overcome playing 5th year adults. They could somewhat do it against 3rd and 4th year players.. and sometimes not. But I think the Covid year just made it that much more difficult.

For instance UNCW's 2 of their best 5 players were 5th year seniors. In other years, they wouldn't have those guys, and that's probably a pretty big difference maker.

That covid rule ending will help him when the time comes IMO.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I believe Cal is going to burn thru a ton of money at Arkansas.

Its not his, he has willing participants, and by the time they get tired of his routine, he'll be close to 70 and ready to hang out at the donut shop anyways.

Maybe he wins big, maybe he doesn't - all I know is a lot of kids will be wealthy because of him. I'm personally glad its not UK footing the bill for it anymore

I thought blindsiding the program after 15 years was a pretty good indicator. That's what happens when your AD sits by and watches as Kentucky Basketball loyalists are purged for Calipari loyalist.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
was thinking same thing. I guess he needs an Anthony Davis every year or Karl Townes to go far in the tourney. Our team was stacked this year but I guess he didn't hire a coach to teach defense. I have never in my life seen a worse defense than what we displayed pretty much all year long. Was like watching a high school freshmen team playing team defense for the first time over and over again.
Your point can't be argued it's been reiterated by professional NBA analysts and knowledgeable " Bennies" and amateurs time time and time again we all know exactly what these wrong moves are and he won't stop repeating them. It's all on film!! Exactly how unprepared and lost we were! 💯

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Come on man this was a genius move that had to be done by all parties to get the poison out of the program, by force. It is better than I could have possibly hoped we don't have to pay the buyout and we're no longer subjected to the absolute obscenity of his last five years here that people are trying to pass off as remotely acceptable.

I’m not arguing that. Cal had to go. I’m just saying that maybe NIL is a bigger cog in this than most want to think

Reactions: UKgal82
NIL became a thing during Cals serious decline though.

At the moment Arkansas is in the honeymoon phase with Cal, so they are ready to throw money at him

Who wants to put money into a coaching situation where they aren't winning in the SECT or the NCAA?

The thing for Cal was, in order to support his coaching, he has to spend more money than anyone else to be successful

I would suspect a similar bump with our new coach, whoever that will be. But I also believe from a dollar standpoint UK will spend less money and get more players to develop year or year now that we aren't funding the NBA farm team

I’m hopeful this is the case.

I’m hopeful this is the case.
I'm sure that is what he sold Arkansas on.

give me a pot of gold for NIL money and I'll get the most talented team in all of college basketball

He had the same deal with UK, but UK donors started walking away when he just left them scratching their heads with his coaching decisions.

We aren't going to see the teams Cal could bring in with the next coach, and quite frankly, I don't think anyone in Kentucky wants to

Sour grapes. He had the keys to the kingdom and f*cked it up. Deep down he knows it but his ego will never admit it. At least Rick Pitino admitted he made a mistake in leaving. Cal got lazy and blamed others for his downfall. If he wants to be remembered and respected for the good he did here he'd best shut his mouth and take the high road. But I have my doubts he will but hopefully I will be wrong.

One thing for sure does not matter how much talent he has he will be knocked out in the first round next year NCAA tourney changing schools won't make him a better coach.

Reactions: yoshukai
What’s so funny about the NIL comments is Arkansas did the same thing to Muss that our boosters did to Kal. Musselman did something they didn’t like so they froze him out. Kal better have his ass kissing lips ready or there will be no Tyson chicken nuggets for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT