ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Zagoria - Donovan (No Interest)

My opinion is they never intended to have to offer BD. And they won't. Barney and crew never thought it would get this far and he is just a name they threw out there to make the search look more prestigious. Making the excuse that you can't wait a week to hire someone so you go for someone not on the same level at all in pope is pure horseshit. Barney has a grudge against BD and ain't gonna even offer.

Then respond and actually have a discussion. Otherwise it looks like fly-by woman shit.

I'm not saying Pope is a home run hire. But we're clearly striking out here, would we all agree? At some point, getting a young upstart coach, is better than getting these tier 3 and tier 4 guys.

And what if Pope hits? What if he is of a Hurley caliber?

Idk, I'm very impressed what he did with BYU, a mid major school, in the freaking B12 this year. If you ask me, BYU has no business being in that conference and winning anything more than a handful of games.
I wouldnt say striking out. We are going to swing for the fences on 2 or 3 guys who were considered long shots at best. If those are a no go, we will start with realistic candidates.

Reactions: dl51344
Doubt he can recruit well enough.

He hasn't won a ncaa tourney game.

Hope it's a 3 year deal and can find a real coach then n 2027.
Dude recruits players to a school that doesn't allow booze, coffee, or coed cuddles! And still wins enough in the Big 12 to make the tournament. I'd be interested to see him recruit to Kentucky. Assuming we don't get our top tier. He might surprise you with some caffenated players.

Pope has nada. No ties to recruiting in the area, no real name cred. The only reason his name is circulated is because he’s a former wildcat. His Mormon roster isn’t following him to Kentucky who would he bring to the roster? He’s Matt Daugherty and I’d hate to fire him after 1 year

Maybe he hasn't cooked long enough. But I don't really care about his former ties as a Wildcat, that stuff means zilch to me. And I also don't care about his current roster of latter day saints.

We always talk about how UKs resources will just make any coach better.. and he's coming from BYU...

I know. I respect his information. Just wanna know if he knows first hand, or if he's just guessing based off Donovan's past.
I’m not guessing. But look, all of this stuff is very fluid. Probably best not to tie yourself to any rumor or candidate. Let the process play out. Is it possible Donovan does 180? I guess.
But the reports of his interest are currently false.
You are seeing other candidates emerge for a reason. Due diligence is being done and the direction of the process is evolving. Rather than all the internet rumors- I’d pay more attention when Pitino says Pope would be an “unbelievable choice”. Do you think he would make that declaration if his friend Billy was seeking the position? Or if he, himself, was a candidate?

Last edited:
Dude recruits players to a school that doesn't allow booze, coffee, or coed cuddles! And still wins enough in the Big 12 to make the tournament. I'd be interested to see him recruit to Kentucky. Assuming we don't get our top tier. He might surprise you with some caffenated players.

If he hadn't played here no one would want him.

Enjoy continuing to win nothing that matters if he's the hire while Hurley catches UK n titles.

I’m not guessing. But look, all of this stuff is very fluid. Probably best not to tie yourself to any rumor or candidate. Let the process play out, is it possible Donovan does 180? I guess.
You are seeing other candidates emerge for a reason. Due diligence is being done and the course of the process is taking shape. Rather all the internet rumors- I’d pay more attention when Pitino says Pope would be an “unbelievable choice”. Do you think he would make that declaration of his friend Billy was seeking the position? Or if he, himself, was a candidate?
Thanks for the reply.

Pope has nada. No ties to recruiting in the area, no real name cred. The only reason his name is circulated is because he’s a former wildcat. His Mormon roster isn’t following him to Kentucky who would he bring to the roster? He’s Matt Daugherty and I’d hate to fire him after 1 year
Daugherty is the first name I thought about when I heard Pope mentioned. He might end up being great but just playing at UK isn’t good enough.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
I’m not guessing. But look, all of this stuff is very fluid. Probably best not to tie yourself to any rumor or candidate. Let the process play out, is it possible Donovan does 180? I guess.
You are seeing other candidates emerge for a reason. Due diligence is being done and the course of the process is taking shape. Rather than all the internet rumors- I’d pay more attention when Pitino says Pope would be an “unbelievable choice”. Do you think he would make that declaration if his friend Billy was seeking the position? Or if he, himself, was a candidate?
Just confused why in that presser 2 days ago Billy wouldn’t just say “no I’m not going back to coach in college” then?

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Old Man Yes GIF by Fleischer Studios

If Donovan said this and meant it, he would be the first guy to ever turn Kentucky down 3 times. Kentucky gave him his start in coaching and he had a great time while being an assistant here. I have friends that played pick up games in the Seaton center with him and they said he loved it there. Of course the timing has really never been right I guess from his stand point. I think it was the pressure, the Kentucky kind of pressure that he didn’t want.

Why everyone wants donovan is a mystery to me. Theres so many good young coaches out there we couod get for less than half of what billy would cost that actually know how to navigate the college landscape.
I'm not sure why any of us cares how much we pay anybody. It isn't my money.

Definitely keep an eye on Oats. Of all the coaches we bring up, none of them do I think "no way".. I just need to see more.

I actually don't want Beard.. and for the reason that his high emphasis on defense is a little too similar to Cal. I want the opposite of Cal, as you normally see with any coaching change. So I want to see more offense personally.

Yeah I dont see Steven's or Donovan as options. Maybe a small small chance we can lure Wright? Idk, maybe not.

How about Hurley from Uconn? He's really got them rebounded after the pits of Ollie. Again, I need to see more from him, just someone to watch.

I posted this 4 months before Hurleys 1st title.

So yes, I am going to do a little back-patting here (boy did I nail this or what?).. but I bring it up because no one thought Hurley was shit back then. He was a so-so Rhode Island coach, and UK would have never hired him for any amount of low pay 2 years ago. But it wasn't hard to see his coaching ability, his pedigree, and his fire.

And thats not to say guys like Golden or Pope or even another young guy is going to have the same results.. but there are a LOT of great young coaches in the fold, just because they are at mid-majors doesn't mean they can't win a tournament game, once they have the resources that UK can offer.

I think UK needs to stop trying to just find the current best coach, we can't seem to pull them away. Go find the next great coach.

If he hadn't played here no one would want him.

Enjoy continuing to win nothing that matters if he's the hire while Hurley catches UK n titles.
You people are so bitter. "Enjoy continuing..." . I'm not doing the hiring, jacktard . I literally said "if we don't get our top tier". Pay attention now. You are nothing. What you think, is nothing. You're pathetic and stupid. Hurley said no. Drew said no. Oats said no. No amount of pissiness from you is going to bring a current top coach into your cesspool attitude.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX

So yes, I am going to do a little back-patting here (boy did I nail this or what?).. but I bring it up because no one thought Hurley was shit back then. He was a so-so Rhode Island coach, and UK would have never hired him for any amount of low pay 2 years ago. But it wasn't hard to see his coaching ability, his pedigree, and his fire.

And thats not to say guys like Golden or Pope or even another young guy is going to have the same results.. but there are a LOT of great young coaches in the fold, just because they are at mid-majors doesn't mean they can't win a tournament game, once they have the resources that UK can offer.

I think UK needs to stop trying to just find the current best coach, we can't seem to pull them away. Go find the next great coach.
I can get behind it. But we will take a perception hit. Still think we need to go after Donovan. Which btw, Sisk said there's a 25 percent chance Mitch waits for him. Some boosters want him, but Mitch doesn't know.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
If Donovan said this and meant it, he would be the first guy to ever turn Kentucky down 3 times. Kentucky gave him his start in coaching and he had a great time while being an assistant here. I have friends that played pick up games in the Seaton center with him and they said he loved it there. Of course the timing has really never been right I guess from his stand point. I think it was the pressure, the Kentucky kind of pressure that he didn’t want.

I don't think it's UK.. I just don't think he wants to coach in college anymore. He didn't like all the extra shit, he's said as much. And it's only gotten worse.

You people are so bitter. "Enjoy continuing..." . I'm not doing the hiring, jacktard . I literally said "if we don't get our top tier". Pay attention now. You are nothing. What you think, is nothing. You're pathetic and stupid. Hurley said no. Drew said no. Oats said no. No amount of pissiness from you is going to bring a current top coach into your cesspool attitude.

Ok bam bam. You aren't anything either goober.

I can get behind it. But we will take a perception hit. Still think we need to go after Donovan. Which btw, Sisk said there's a 25 percent chance Mitch waits for him. Some boosters want him, but Mitch doesn't know.

Maybe you let Pope coach a little longer. I'm more or less saying, let's see what he has to offer.

I don't buy waiting for Donovan. He either wants this or not. He doesn't have to wait for the damn play-in game to say as much.

Why won't he give at least some verbal confirmation (or maybe he has and we just don't know it).. the Bulls are close to getting rid of him anyways, they are going to blow the whole team up, because the Zach Lavine era just didn't work. It's not some huge slap int he face for Donovan to take the UK job and let the interim coach take over. The Chicago Bulls and the team would understand.

He loved the opportunity of getting to coach especially with Rick.
He was also in his 20's.
I'd say being at UK was just a bonus.

Maybe you let Pope coach a little longer. I'm more or less saying, let's see what he has to offer.

I don't buy waiting for Donovan. He either wants this or not. He doesn't have to wait for the damn play-in game to say as much.

Why won't he give at least some verbal confirmation (or maybe he has and we just don't know it).. the Bulls are close to getting rid of him anyways, they are going to blow the whole team up, because the Zach Lavine era just didn't work. It's not some huge slap int he face for Donovan to take the UK job and let the interim coach take over. The Chicago Bulls and the team would understand.
BD is old school. He wouldn't bail on his team and the bulls even if it's a no brainer. He's not wired that way. He will be a pro all the way 100 percent.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Do yourself a favor and watch the presser. He will listen if he gets the call. It's a no brainer. This will be the end of Barney if he makes the wrong hire here.
I’m not sure what he says in a presser will override my opinion, but I will give it a listen. Personally, I’d love him back in the college game- but not in its current state.

Exactly. Duke and UNC didn't embarrass themselves getting turned down by everyone. Let's "find the next great coach"

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT