ADVERTISEMENT

If cal is at UK next season

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Is Barney? I keep hearing “something has to change”. The problem is there is nothing left to change except the head coach and AD. Cal has already changed assistants multiple times. What else is there? Sounds like a bunch of empty bullshit if Barney doesn’t fix his mistake. Cal isn’t going to change his practices he’s already said as much. But I hear that Barney doesn’t want to pay the buyout doesn’t want to go to donors. This guy is useless. I can’t imagine a world where both are back but at the same time there is an agenda to ruin the basketball program. I mean you don’t trip your way to this level of incompetence. Other than forcing cal out what is this “something that has to change”?

Is Barney? I keep hearing “something has to change”. The problem is there is nothing left to change except the head coach and AD. Cal has already changed assistants multiple times. What else is there? Sounds like a bunch of empty bullshit if Barney doesn’t fix his mistake. Cal isn’t going to change his practices he’s already said as much. But I hear that Barney doesn’t want to pay the buyout doesn’t want to go to donors. This guy is useless. I can’t imagine a world where both are back but at the same time there is an agenda to ruin the basketball program. I mean you don’t trip your way to this level of incompetence. Other than forcing cal out what is this “something that has to change”?
Barny can’t fix it. He wrote a check his ass can’t cash, which is the exact reason he should be gone too.

I have been saying it since early last season that this season would be Cal’s last at ky. I was just hoping he would be able to bow out on his own after a tournament run. We had the players. But it didn’t happen. It’s really hard to imagine going into another season with him. I mean, it would take a lot of these kids surprising us and returning just to envision optimism

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
Somewhat on topic is that the portal opens I think Apr 1 - May 15. So if Barney the Clown has plans to move on from this situation, he needs to move now and start figuring out how to negotiate this absurd buyout and get a new coach in ASAP. That new coach needs the time to hit that portal hard before all the valuable players are gone.
My goodness if Cal is back next year. I don't think that would be feasible to navigate for anyone.

Cal won't be here next season. In fact, I doubt he will be here after next week. You can't stink things up as badly as he has at a blue blood program for the past 4 years and get retained. He's done.

Reactions: BigBlueAlphaDog
I don’t have that faith after what Tucker, and Ben roberts said today
Everything Ben Roberts said was 100% accurate, people just don't want to hear it. For everyone here basketball is the #1 priority. But for a public university when the buyout is $35 million it's just not. People are acting like if Cal returns Rupp will look like what Yum looked like this year. It won't. People will still go and the basketball team will still make money.

There are tons of things more important for the university as a whole right now than an underachieving basketball team. If we were Louisville bad that's one thing. But we have had a 2 and 3 seed in the last three years. It's good enough for Capilouto to worry about other things right now.

Everything Ben Roberts said was 100% accurate, people just don't want to hear it. For everyone here basketball is the #1 priority. But for a public university when the buyout is $35 million it's just not. People are acting like if Cal returns Rupp will look like what Yum looked like this year. It won't. People will still go and the basketball team will still make money.

There are tons of things more important for the university as a whole right now than an underachieving basketball team. If we were Louisville bad that's one thing. But we have had a 2 and 3 seed in the last three years. It's good enough for Capilouto to worry about other things right now.
Kentucky doesn’t have to pay that 35 million up front, and for a school who makes more. Off basketball, the success should be the number 1 thing they care about athletics wise. If cal returns Kentucky will be anywhere close to what the following has been

Kentucky doesn’t have to pay that 35 million up front, and for a school who makes more. Off basketball, the success should be the number 1 thing they care about athletics wise. If cal returns Kentucky will be anywhere close to what the following has been
Yeah I know it's not up front. But you'd have to pay Cal's buyout (yes it can be offset but you don't know that for sure when you fire him), potentially the buyout of the coach who replaces him, and the new coach's salary. You could be looking at like $15+ million per year in basketball coach salaries.

People in the know are saying right now that buyout check doesn't exist. Maybe it changes this weekend or next week, but I strongly think Cal is here next year unless he decides to leave or throw us a bone and really negotiate that buyout.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Yeah I know it's not up front. But you'd have to pay Cal's buyout (yes it can be offset but you don't know that for sure when you fire him), potentially the buyout of the coach who replaces him, and the new coach's salary. You could be looking at like $15+ million per year in basketball coach salaries.

People in the know are saying right now that buyout check doesn't exist. Maybe it changes this weekend or next week, but I strongly think Cal is here next year unless he decides to leave or throw us a bone and really negotiate that buyout.
I get it, but Kentucky has the money to do it or can get it

Bull hockey and I’ll tell you right now Eli is about done as prez. The guys is well past expiration. By your logic Barney should have just let cal walk because uk fans will show regardless. There’s much more to it than that. The pot of money the buyout would come from isn’t the same pot you describe the university survives on. Hell after the Barney 60million windfall for science at uk I think the university can come to grips with this. Stop treating fans like assholes and idiots. The “we can’t afford it” line is trash. It goes back to ego and Barney doesn’t want to give cal anything. Neither man gives a shit about our program. Wake up! Cal won’t own up and leave Barney won’t eat the insane contract he gave. Ego maniacs and everything is money money money. That money is why our program is trash the rush for cash for players for cal there is no UK being repped even Barney put his name on the sports complex. Ego maniac. UNCheat spent money fighting the ncaa not itself the entirety from prez to Cals dry cleaner need to be cleaned out

The $33 million isn’t a lump sum payment though and nothing is owed up front. Just hoping Cal realizes he is no longer welcome here and leaves for another school

Can you link this
It's in the original story. It doesn't say anything about the story being updated, so I think it's been there since the beginning.

"Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing. Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts.

But even if he had an extra $30-plus million to give to UK Athletics, Barnhart would surely want to make better use of that money to further the department’s overall goals. Joe and Kelly Craft have been generous donors to several different UK Athletics initiatives over the years, and they have a close, working relationship with Barnhart.

Everyone involved knows there are more logical ways to spend that kind of cash."

Agreed and I HATE THAT. But it's true. Because of Barnhart, you are paying off a Womens Coach, have to buyout another coach and bring that staff in. So you add Cal's $ he's owed and then you have to buyout another HC/staff. So it's not really $33M as much as it would be like $50M minimum to get this done if you go for a big fish--unless he's not under contract with anyone.

Roberts is a guy I respect because whether I like what he's saying or not he doesn't act on emotion. He speaks in fact. I can handle that as a fan and still hate it. LOL I don't like emotional people who were preaching to fans about the season and then have egg on face and want to get them on "their side" instead of reporting with factual information.

All of this BTW is why I want BOTH Barnhart and Cal gone. The fact that UK is in this position is a joke.

It's in the original story. It doesn't say anything about the story being updated, so I think it's been there since the beginning.

"Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing. Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts.

But even if he had an extra $30-plus million to give to UK Athletics, Barnhart would surely want to make better use of that money to further the department’s overall goals. Joe and Kelly Craft have been generous donors to several different UK Athletics initiatives over the years, and they have a close, working relationship with Barnhart.

Everyone involved knows there are more logical ways to spend that kind of cash."
Well you have to think if Cal is fired he would go coach somewhere else. I’m pretty sure whatever his salary would be at his next job would offset his buyout. Making Kentucky not owing so much to him each year

The University wouldn't pay anything. Not sure why that's a factor at all.

It's well established our athletic department is self-funding. Actually, gives money to the university to help pay for somethings. MB did that, which is why he is not going anywhere. He turned it into a money-making machine that requires no help, but instead gives help.

MB may actually have more pull than Capitulo, not sure what Capitulo has done, most likely what most university presidents have done. Turned the institution into a giant bureaucratic money swallowing swamp. Not totally his fault I suppose, lots of other cultural forces beyond his control have contributed to that.

The athletic department doesn't waste money on bullshit, the institution does. So, if the public is going to be upset, they should be upset that the university isn't run like the athletic department.

If Cal is still here next *season, it is going to get ugly. We've got a huge drop off in talent and no replacements for the production from Reeves, Reed, and Dillingham. We'll have some stronger post players, but less skill all the way around. The end result is going to be a team that gets beaten like a rented mule on defense, and a squad that can't consistently put up the points in droves to outscore opponents. I could easily see next *season's team having a terrible 10-15 win season.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Earlier someone here posted that fans would still come out to games next season. I am not so sure. I had fantasized for a number of years of having two homes as I live in Florida. One home was to be in Lexington and having season tickets. I am not kidding. I would never ever even consider either option now. No way. I don't think I am alone. And I have been a total fan since the 70's.

I have been saying it since early last season that this season would be Cal’s last at ky. I was just hoping he would be able to bow out on his own after a tournament run. We had the players. But it didn’t happen. It’s really hard to imagine going into another season with him. I mean, it would take a lot of these kids surprising us and returning just to envision optimism
You're having a difficult time letting Cal go.

If Cal is still here next year, it is going to get ugly. We've got a huge drop off in talent and no replacements for the production from Reeves, Reed, and Dillingham. We'll have some stronger post players, but less skill all the way around. The end result is going to be a team that gets beaten like a rented mule on defense, and a squad that can't consistently put up the points in droves to outscore opponents. I could easily see next year's team having a terrible 10-15 win season.
You mean this year. The season starts in seven months.

It certainly will get ugly wrt the “natives getting restless”!
As for the team and how good we may be (or not). You really can’t tell yet. That is a big effect of the portal on every school. Probably not, but we could return everyone but Rob, Reeves and Trey, and add next year’s Knenect; or we could return no one (0 players) and add another Fredrick or 2, and a couple last minute 3* FR who won’t play. My guess is we will be somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
As for the team and how good we may be (or not). You really can’t tell yet. That is a big effect of the portal on every school. Probably not, but we could return everyone but Rob, Reeves and Trey, and add next year’s Knenect; or we could return no one (0 players) and add another Fredrick or 2, and a couple last minute 3* FR who won’t play. My guess is we will be somewhere in the middle.
Agree

Cal won't be here next season. In fact, I doubt he will be here after next week. You can't stink things up as badly as he has at a blue blood program for the past 4 years and get retained. He's done.
But the same guy that created this mess with the contract is making the decision still. Do you know something? Cause I am all ears, I want him gone as bad as anyone but I don't think Mitch has the balls to do anything. I think he's scared of the whole situation that he pretty much created.

I'd still root for the team and players but with yet again lowered interest just like every year of the last 5.

Reactions: cat tat2

Like DEI and Free Palestine morons!

There are no "makers" in this class, correct? Sounds like a team full of DJ's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT