ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Goes Old School In Practice, Makes It Harder Than Games

So he hasn't been having hard practices up to this point?
simon cowell facepalm GIF

So he hasn't been having hard practices up to this point?
simon cowell facepalm GIF
Exactly.
I actually laughed out loud that he actually made them do wall sits until their legs quivered. Seriously? Wow, Cal, you really challenged them that one day! 😆

Wall sits, leg lifts, diving for balls, and intense cardio were all LITERALLY part of every single practice when I was playing, at least until late in conference play.

I'm agitated as well about that loss, but man it sure brings out the ultra-haters. One game after what had so far been an incredible season for Cal standards (or any UK standards), and the "want him fired now" crew is in full force. I'm usually pissed at Cal and his crap, but this one game to me feels like an outlier, so I'm opting to see how they respond over the next 4-5 games before I jump to extreme conclusions about this team and Cal being the root cause.

What's funny, I don't recall seeing ANY of these extremists on game threads or around here in regular threads prior to the UNCW game. Why does losing bring them out? Because they have one thing in mind - FIRING CAL - and when there is a data point, they are ALL OVER it like flies on hot sh*t.

I should make a long list of these aggressive whiners and then when Cal is gone and we're stuck with some nobody, losing games for years (don't give me the "it's Kentucky, we'll be fine" schtick), we'll have a special thread dedicated to them.

Let's see if the team can correct. If not, most of you know I don't hold back on my opinion of Cal and will not gladly eat crow. But this "see, I told you he sucks" crowd is just insufferable.

Read that article. Aside from KSR requiring me to turn off my adblocker, and then inundating me with 400 ads that shifted the page up, down, and required me to select "no thanks" to three different "do you want to sign up for notifications" pop-ups, the one thing that stood out to me was when Cal said "why didn't we pass the ball in 45 possessions" when discussing our reversion in play to dribbling around and one-on-one ball.

Why does that stand out? Because Cal says this AFTER the entire game. A good coach wouldn't need a staff to put together "tape" and then reviewing it days later to see this. A good coach would see it DURING THE GAME and make adjustments. So what was Cal doing the entire game Saturday? Did he not see these things REAL TIME? Did he never think "what's going on, why are they just dribbling around all of a sudden, where are the passes?", and then as a good coach would, call a time out or make an adjustment at half time to bring this observation to the forefront?

This is why Cal gets a bad rap. He's a good coach, but not in-game and not under pressure. He can talk the talk and sees the failures AFTER they happen, but not immediately in real time. He needs staff to point out all of the flaws before he goes "aha, yes, there it is", and then gets in front of the mic and talks like he knows it all. But most knowledgeable basketball fans will say "well no shit, Sherlock, we saw this in the game, LIVE, why didn't you, and why didn't you make ANY adjustments? Three days later is a bit LATE!"

Read that article. Aside from KSR requiring me to turn off my adblocker, and then inundating me with 400 ads that shifted the page up, down, and required me to select "no thanks" to three different "do you want to sign up for notifications" pop-ups, the one thing that stood out to me was when Cal said "why didn't we pass the ball in 45 possessions" when discussing our reversion in play to dribbling around and one-on-one ball.

Why does that stand out? Because Cal says this AFTER the entire game. A good coach wouldn't need a staff to put together "tape" and then reviewing it days later to see this. A good coach would see it DURING THE GAME and make adjustments. So what was Cal doing the entire game Saturday? Did he not see these things REAL TIME? Did he never think "what's going on, why are they just dribbling around all of a sudden, where are the passes?", and then as a good coach would, call a time out or make an adjustment at half time to bring this observation to the forefront?

This is why Cal gets a bad rap. He's a good coach, but not in-game and not under pressure. He can talk the talk and sees the failures AFTER they happen, but not immediately in real time. He needs staff to point out all of the flaws before he goes "aha, yes, there it is", and then gets in front of the mic and talks like he knows it all. But most knowledgeable basketball fans will say "well no shit, Sherlock, we saw this in the game, LIVE, why didn't you, and why didn't you make ANY adjustments? Three days later is a bit LATE!"
Exactly. Cal couldn't recognize and implement a critical in-game adjustment if he accidentally tripped on it in the huddle.

E_nGpNuXEAYwLso.jpg

I'm agitated as well about that loss, but man it sure brings out the ultra-haters. One game after what had so far been an incredible season for Cal standards (or any UK standards), and the "want him fired now" crew is in full force. I'm usually pissed at Cal and his crap, but this one game to me feels like an outlier, so I'm opting to see how they respond over the next 4-5 games before I jump to extreme conclusions about this team and Cal being the root cause.

What's funny, I don't recall seeing ANY of these extremists on game threads or around here in regular threads prior to the UNCW game. Why does losing bring them out? Because they have one thing in mind - FIRING CAL - and when there is a data point, they are ALL OVER it like flies on hot sh*t.

I should make a long list of these aggressive whiners and then when Cal is gone and we're stuck with some nobody, losing games for years (don't give me the "it's Kentucky, we'll be fine" schtick), we'll have a special thread dedicated to them.

Let's see if the team can correct. If not, most of you know I don't hold back on my opinion of Cal and will not gladly eat crow. But this "see, I told you he sucks" crowd is just insufferable.
Completely agree. And I'll take it a step further, losses like this just don't bring out the "ultra-haters", it brings out the absolute dumbest (and I mean that very literally, uneducate and ignorant) faction of our fanbase

Reactions: shodaman

I hear what you are saying, but I also think Cal has brought a lot of it on himself from his condescending, snake oil salesman like talk about fans. Out of one side of his mouth, he talks about BBN being the best, craziest fanbase in the country, and in the next breath makes some condescending, snide remark towards them...

That, combined with the years of ridiculous excuses like "we don't have time in practice to learn multiple defenses, offensive sets, inbounds plays, etc" (even though other coaches that are paid exponentially less can somehow pull that off just fine) have really rubbed fans the wrong way and created a lot if irritated and/or apathetic fans... me included.

I don't get frustrated with him anymore b/c I have ZERO expectations of his ability to coach. The blessing is I don't even care to watch the games much anymore, so I am actually doing more productive things compared to when I was historically watching every game. So, maybe at the end of the day, I should be thankful for him.. lol

What is this board going to do when the next coach after Cal loses a fluke game in December. How will you all sleep at night
I wish I could agree, but those 'flukes' are starting to pile up a little on Cal. And in ways most fans aren't happy about. Bad games happen. Cold nights happen. Bad losses happen. I think most fans are just unhappy with the current frequency they seem to be happening now. Solid coaching prevents some of these embarrassing losses.

Exactly.
I actually laughed out loud that he actually made them do wall sits until their legs quivered. Seriously? Wow, Cal, you really challenged them that one day! 😆

Wall sits, leg lifts, diving for balls, and intense cardio were all LITERALLY part of every single practice when I was playing, at least until late in conference play.
NBA scout at practice. Explains it all

I was bummed about the loss....but what pissed me off as Cal after the game with his inane comments. THAT'S what I thought he would change. Guess I was wrong.

I'm really trying to focus on the dudes I like on this team and trying to tune out Cal.

He knows the problems a day later. He has no plan if his original plan fails. "3 block outs" are why they lost in the article. Gimme a break.

Coach Hall sat 2 or 3 starters in the 2nd half of an NCAA tourney game in '78 because they weren't doing as he told them. Cal figures out what's wrong in a game days later. Then runs to a presser to tell everyone about it.

Sitting players or taking minutes has always been the best way to get someone's attention. Not with Cal though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT