ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Goes Old School In Practice, Makes It Harder Than Games

I'm agitated as well about that loss, but man it sure brings out the ultra-haters. One game after what had so far been an incredible season for Cal standards (or any UK standards), and the "want him fired now" crew is in full force. I'm usually pissed at Cal and his crap, but this one game to me feels like an outlier, so I'm opting to see how they respond over the next 4-5 games before I jump to extreme conclusions about this team and Cal being the root cause.

What's funny, I don't recall seeing ANY of these extremists on game threads or around here in regular threads prior to the UNCW game. Why does losing bring them out? Because they have one thing in mind - FIRING CAL - and when there is a data point, they are ALL OVER it like flies on hot sh*t.

I should make a long list of these aggressive whiners and then when Cal is gone and we're stuck with some nobody, losing games for years (don't give me the "it's Kentucky, we'll be fine" schtick), we'll have a special thread dedicated to them.

Let's see if the team can correct. If not, most of you know I don't hold back on my opinion of Cal and will not gladly eat crow. But this "see, I told you he sucks" crowd is just insufferable.
Same people post on this board all of the time. You just dont notice the negativity until it takes over the board following a loss. Doubtful you can find one poster that you are referring too that has only posted following the Kansas and uncw losses and nothing in between.

Wha
Oh, he's checking our temperature, all right.......

c342b4156e5fe0f9966d43863f98890194d77847.gif
Q. What’s the difference between a mouth thermometer and a rectal thermometer?
A. The taste.

He knows the problems a day later. He has no plan if his original plan fails. "3 block outs" are why they lost in the article. Gimme a break.

Coach Hall sat 2 or 3 starters in the 2nd half of an NCAA tourney game in '78 because they weren't doing as he told them. Cal figures out what's wrong in a game days later. Then runs to a presser to tell everyone about it.

Sitting players or taking minutes has always been the best way to get someone's attention. Not with Cal though.
I think Hall sat all 5 to start the 2nd half vs Magic and Michigan St

I mean, at least he’s saying the right things. Whether he personally reverts during games is yet to be seen.

Oh, Some Loretta training...

"The work "they" done was hard, at night they'd sleep because they were tard...." They never dreamed of ever leaving Kentucky basketball...

Scratch that last sentence...

(I know, I know, I am still at my day job...)

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
I wish I could agree, but those 'flukes' are starting to pile up a little on Cal. And in ways most fans aren't happy about. Bad games happen. Cold nights happen. Bad losses happen. I think most fans are just unhappy with the current frequency they seem to be happening now. Solid coaching prevents some of these embarrassing losses.
A rational debate response on RR's board in 2023? The world is healing.

Yes, I agree with everything you said here.

Read that article. Aside from KSR requiring me to turn off my adblocker, and then inundating me with 400 ads that shifted the page up, down, and required me to select "no thanks" to three different "do you want to sign up for notifications" pop-ups, the one thing that stood out to me was when Cal said "why didn't we pass the ball in 45 possessions" when discussing our reversion in play to dribbling around and one-on-one ball.

Why does that stand out? Because Cal says this AFTER the entire game. A good coach wouldn't need a staff to put together "tape" and then reviewing it days later to see this. A good coach would see it DURING THE GAME and make adjustments. So what was Cal doing the entire game Saturday? Did he not see these things REAL TIME? Did he never think "what's going on, why are they just dribbling around all of a sudden, where are the passes?", and then as a good coach would, call a time out or make an adjustment at half time to bring this observation to the forefront?

This is why Cal gets a bad rap. He's a good coach, but not in-game and not under pressure. He can talk the talk and sees the failures AFTER they happen, but not immediately in real time. He needs staff to point out all of the flaws before he goes "aha, yes, there it is", and then gets in front of the mic and talks like he knows it all. But most knowledgeable basketball fans will say "well no shit, Sherlock, we saw this in the game, LIVE, why didn't you, and why didn't you make ANY adjustments? Three days later is a bit LATE!"
In the post game press conference he actually does mention it and said he addressed it during timeouts if I’m not mistaken

Oh, Some Loretta training...

"The work "they" done was hard, at night they'd sleep because they were tard...." They never dreamed of ever leaving Kentucky basketball...

Scratch that last sentence...

(I know, I know, I am still at my day job...)
the work they done was hard
at the end they were all tard
but their draft stock was still ok
it didn't matter how bad they played

They're all proud to have 5 stars by their name
even tho they ain't got that much game.
Cal will get them to the draft
and UK once again gets the shaft

Really not sure what to make of this. As others have pointed out it is hard to believe a word Cal says these days.

I would consider myself someone who does not like Cal any longer and haven’t for a while, but I doubt that this is the first hard practice of the year.

It is more likely he is just putting this out there to fan some of the negativity or motivate some of the current players to work harder.

In the beginning of the Cal years it seems like the “practice is harder than the games” like was said by him and by players. If he truly has gotten away from that over the years then it could be some of the reason for the decline over the last several years.

the work they done was hard
at the end they were all tard
but their draft stock was still ok
it didn't matter how bad they played

They're all proud to have 5 stars by their name
even tho they ain't got that much game.
Cal will get them to the draft
and UK once again gets the shaft

"I will not be pawed at thank you very much..."

Really not sure what to make of this. As others have pointed out it is hard to believe a word Cal says these days.

I would consider myself someone who does not like Cal any longer and haven’t for a while, but I doubt that this is the first hard practice of the year.

It is more likely he is just putting this out there to fan some of the negativity or motivate some of the current players to work harder.

In the beginning of the Cal years it seems like the “practice is harder than the games” like was said by him and by players. If he truly has gotten away from that over the years then it could be some of the reason for the decline over the last several years.
In the early days guys like Wall, Cousins, MKG and AD seemed to feel they had something to prove and played with a chip on their shoulder. Players in recent times show up with their posse feeling like they have already made it and have nothing to prove till they get to the next level. Cal has accepted and fostered that mindset just to get them here for a year.

Read that article. Aside from KSR requiring me to turn off my adblocker, and then inundating me with 400 ads that shifted the page up, down, and required me to select "no thanks" to three different "do you want to sign up for notifications" pop-ups, the one thing that stood out to me was when Cal said "why didn't we pass the ball in 45 possessions" when discussing our reversion in play to dribbling around and one-on-one ball.

Why does that stand out? Because Cal says this AFTER the entire game. A good coach wouldn't need a staff to put together "tape" and then reviewing it days later to see this. A good coach would see it DURING THE GAME and make adjustments. So what was Cal doing the entire game Saturday? Did he not see these things REAL TIME? Did he never think "what's going on, why are they just dribbling around all of a sudden, where are the passes?", and then as a good coach would, call a time out or make an adjustment at half time to bring this observation to the forefront?

This is why Cal gets a bad rap. He's a good coach, but not in-game and not under pressure. He can talk the talk and sees the failures AFTER they happen, but not immediately in real time. He needs staff to point out all of the flaws before he goes "aha, yes, there it is", and then gets in front of the mic and talks like he knows it all. But most knowledgeable basketball fans will say "well no shit, Sherlock, we saw this in the game, LIVE, why didn't you, and why didn't you make ANY adjustments? Three days later is a bit LATE!"

you absolutely nailed it. I have said forever he is the best recruiter I've seen, he can bullshit with the best of them and interviews fantastically at halftime. When the ball goes up he is absolutely one of the worst bench coaches I have seen, cannot make in game adjustments, zero clue how to run something to get a guy a shot and I could go on and on, I will give him credit for one thing, he has studied the globetrotters however as he runs their weave as well as they do and we schedule the Washington generals every year but they never seem to get the memo that they need to tank the game.

Can you tell me the points in the game where UK ran last year's offense? I want to see what "reverts" looks like.
They’re not hard to find. They’re the parts where we slowed down the pace, dribbled much more than we passed, took low percentage shots, and turned the ball over by forcing the post entry. Are you being serious, or just a pain in the ass?

Glad to hear he scaled back on his criticism of Reed ridiculous to single out players and blame them for the losses publicly according to cal he never loses the games blame the player some coaches are like that

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Can you tell me the points in the game where UK ran last year's offense? I want to see what "reverts" looks like.

‘Calipari said during his call-in radio show Monday evening. “Why didn’t we pass the ball? We had 45 possessions of no passes or one pass. You’ve watched us play all year, what in the world? Why?’

‘They “just reverted,” Calipari said.‘

This is directly from from the article posted in this thread. Seems like if you watched the game you wouldn’t have had to ask for a specific point in the game.

There were at least 45 of them in the game though according to Cal. Obviously not specifically last years team because none of the players were really at UK, but that’s not what the quote meant and the result is much more like the last several seasons and not the first 5-6 games of this season is the point I believe both the poster and Cal were trying to make.

It’s no defense. You know like you are supposed to learn at 11?
Well I figured out at 3 that whoever puts the ball in the basket the most times whens the game. I hope they put in some time on D as well but making shots and playing good on offense can get guys going on the other end of the floor.

‘Calipari said during his call-in radio show Monday evening. “Why didn’t we pass the ball? We had 45 possessions of no passes or one pass. You’ve watched us play all year, what in the world? Why?’

‘They “just reverted,” Calipari said.‘

This is directly from from the article posted in this thread. Seems like if you watched the game you wouldn’t have had to ask for a specific point in the game.

There were at least 45 of them in the game though according to Cal. Obviously not specifically last years team because none of the players were really at UK, but that’s not what the quote meant and the result is much more like the last several seasons and not the first 5-6 games of this season is the point I believe both the poster and Cal were trying to make.
The complaint wasn't that play reverted. The complaint was that CAL REVERTED.

They’re not hard to find. They’re the parts where we slowed down the pace, dribbled much more than we passed, took low percentage shots, and turned the ball over by forcing the post entry. Are you being serious, or just a pain in the ass?
As I said above, the complaint was that Cal reverted. Not that the players got lazy or inattentive.

The complaint wasn't that play reverted. The complaint was that CAL REVERTED.

What would you call not coaching the players to change during the game though?

Other posters have pointed out these things. It shouldn’t take game film to realize that your team had 45 possessions that bad in the game.

If the players are reverting and playing completely opposite of how they have all year at what point is the coach responsible for bringing them back to where they should be?

Some posters say it is always the players fault and Cal can do no wrong, others say the players are great and Cal can do no right.

The truth is in between, but can you admit that if the players are reverting it is a direct correlation and reflection of the coach? At least he has to hold some responsibility in that case right?

What would you call not coaching the players to change during the game though?

Other posters have pointed out these things. It shouldn’t take game film to realize that your team had 45 possessions that bad in the game.

If the players are reverting and playing completely opposite of how they have all year at what point is the coach responsible for bringing them back to where they should be?

Some posters say it is always the players fault and Cal can do no wrong, others say the players are great and Cal can do no right.

The truth is in between, but can you admit that if the players are reverting it is a direct correlation and reflection of the coach? At least he has to hold some responsibility in that case right?
So, the timeout at 13-4. Do you imagine he was discussing dinner? Halftime. More of the same?

So, the complaint is now that he didn't bench everybody who was running at half speed. Not that he "reverted".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT